Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Day West Brom fans outnumber Little Portsmouth's at Fratton Park in 1994 23:55 - Apr 9 with 7969 viewshedgeend61

Two time English Champions, FA Cup winners,EFL & Hampshire Cup winners, 2nd, 3rd, 4th Div winners, best supported team in the Universe outnumbered by Little West Brom?
Surely this can't be true? (Little Pompey managed 5000 for one game that season,
so maybe)

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football-ashcroft-keeps-albion-out-of-troubl

BerkshireBoy100
4 years ago
Great day. 10,000+ Albion fans in a 17,000 crowd.

Michael Ottley
3 months ago
Everyone had to pay £10 cash on the day. Took the ground staff by surprise and they had to move the Portsmouth fans from their usual area as Baggies fans kept arriving!

Graham Chambers
2 years ago (edited)
I remember it well I drove a hired furniture van with about 6 of my mates in the back plus a wolves fan [ who all the way there was saying you lot are f......g mad ha ha took about 7 hours to get there van would only go at 65 mile ph worth it though great day we took about 11 thousand I think that day boing boing
The Day West Brom fans outnumber Little Portsmouth's at Fratton Park in 1994 on 00:27 - Apr 10 with 6718 viewsdirk_doone

"It's a sea of green and yellow"

But that could have been because, as Maria will tell us, they were really Pompey fans wearing West Brom shirts.

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

The Day West Brom fans outnumber Little Portsmouth's at Fratton Park in 1994 on 00:34 - Apr 10 with 6710 viewshedgeend61

The Day West Brom fans outnumber Little Portsmouth's at Fratton Park in 1994 on 00:27 - Apr 10 by dirk_doone

"It's a sea of green and yellow"

But that could have been because, as Maria will tell us, they were really Pompey fans wearing West Brom shirts.

Line of Police/stewards come on to try and separate West Brom fans on both sides of the pitch
The Day West Brom fans outnumber Little Portsmouth's at Fratton Park in 1994 on 08:51 - Apr 10 with 6607 viewsMytchettSaint

It’s just great to see the old girl packed, even if it is with opposition fans. That’s called pashun scummers, you just don’t get it do ya!

Block 13; Curva Itchen Sud

The Day West Brom fans outnumber Little Portsmouth's at Fratton Park in 1994 on 09:14 - Apr 10 with 6583 viewsMushty

The harsh reality for them is that traditionally it's always taken outsiders/neutrals to help them fill their ground. Highest capacity around 59,000, only ever got 2 crowds a shade over 50k in their greatest era. Most had disappeared a couple of years after that brief fling with success.

And, as we all know the difference between myth and truth, that was only because they let in thousands of servicemen based in the area for free and as our Saints-supporting grandads used to tell us, loads used to travel down unchallenged to fratton for a chance to see those famous names of the visiting teams they'd only ever read about in the papers.
The Day West Brom fans outnumber Little Portsmouth's at Fratton Park in 1994 on 09:57 - Apr 10 with 6543 viewshedgeend61

The Day West Brom fans outnumber Little Portsmouth's at Fratton Park in 1994 on 09:14 - Apr 10 by Mushty

The harsh reality for them is that traditionally it's always taken outsiders/neutrals to help them fill their ground. Highest capacity around 59,000, only ever got 2 crowds a shade over 50k in their greatest era. Most had disappeared a couple of years after that brief fling with success.

And, as we all know the difference between myth and truth, that was only because they let in thousands of servicemen based in the area for free and as our Saints-supporting grandads used to tell us, loads used to travel down unchallenged to fratton for a chance to see those famous names of the visiting teams they'd only ever read about in the papers.

59,000 is a bit of a stretch I think, record crowd 51,385 v Derby in an FA Cup game where Derby took their 25% allocation 12,500 , nearly as many as the Baggies

Never ever filled it, or got 50,000+ for a League game, even when they won the League.
14,000 under capacity average both seasons when champions
The Day West Brom fans outnumber Little Portsmouth's at Fratton Park in 1994 on 10:52 - Apr 10 with 6493 viewsdirk_doone

Little Pompey had 7, 869 for the home game before that v Leicester and they'd have brought a few fans down so that supports the West Brom fans' claim that they filled most of Fratton with away fans:

http://www.pompeyrama.com/pompey-fc-match-2343-26-Apr-1994-Pompey-0-Leicester-Ci

The only way you could really support any claims for away support was to compare the total gate with the team's other home gates that season, as there was no official count of away fans in those days - that's a relatively new thing - which is why Maria's claim of a precise number of Saints fans at Bolton from a game in the mid-90s is ridiculous.

In fact, I remember when a Pompey fan started that rumour on a pompey fans message board. He claimed a friend of a friend had told him and then it became another portsmyth, like the dock strike myth which was also started around that time.. Complete and utter bollocks, of course, which just goes to show they lie about our attendances as well as their own.
[Post edited 10 Apr 2020 11:10]

The Day West Brom fans outnumber Little Portsmouth's at Fratton Park in 1994 on 11:36 - Apr 10 with 6446 viewshedgeend61

The Day West Brom fans outnumber Little Portsmouth's at Fratton Park in 1994 on 10:52 - Apr 10 by dirk_doone

Little Pompey had 7, 869 for the home game before that v Leicester and they'd have brought a few fans down so that supports the West Brom fans' claim that they filled most of Fratton with away fans:

http://www.pompeyrama.com/pompey-fc-match-2343-26-Apr-1994-Pompey-0-Leicester-Ci

The only way you could really support any claims for away support was to compare the total gate with the team's other home gates that season, as there was no official count of away fans in those days - that's a relatively new thing - which is why Maria's claim of a precise number of Saints fans at Bolton from a game in the mid-90s is ridiculous.

In fact, I remember when a Pompey fan started that rumour on a pompey fans message board. He claimed a friend of a friend had told him and then it became another portsmyth, like the dock strike myth which was also started around that time.. Complete and utter bollocks, of course, which just goes to show they lie about our attendances as well as their own.
[Post edited 10 Apr 2020 11:10]

Michael Ottley
3 months ago
Everyone had to pay £10 cash on the day. Took the ground staff by surprise and they had to move the Portsmouth fans from their usual area as Baggies fans kept arriving!

Could only happen at a BIG club

What's amazing is the 15.000 they took to Liverpool , was about their average home crowd and 50% up on their lowest that season. Incredible really.
The Day West Brom fans outnumber Little Portsmouth's at Fratton Park in 1994 on 11:55 - Apr 10 with 6429 viewsdirk_doone

The Day West Brom fans outnumber Little Portsmouth's at Fratton Park in 1994 on 11:36 - Apr 10 by hedgeend61

Michael Ottley
3 months ago

Could only happen at a BIG club

What's amazing is the 15.000 they took to Liverpool , was about their average home crowd and 50% up on their lowest that season. Incredible really.

What's even more amazing is this:

30 Jan 1981 Liverpool v Portsmouth attendance: 32,201

28 Feb 1981 Liverpool v Southampton attendance: 41,575

So, 4 weeks later we must have taken nearly 10,000 away fans there more than they did.

Of course, there were no away attendance figures in those days so people can claim anything they like and the number pompey claim to have taken in that small crowd has continued to grow by thousands over the last 4 decades and I'm sure it will grow by even more over the next 4..
[Post edited 10 Apr 2020 12:03]

Login to get fewer ads

The Day West Brom fans outnumber Little Portsmouth's at Fratton Park in 1994 on 12:54 - Apr 10 with 6346 views130yrs_and_one_Cup

I preferred the West Brom game in the PL. I think it was 2005

Poll: Is Southampton FC a big club. Where do they rank?

The Day West Brom fans outnumber Little Portsmouth's at Fratton Park in 1994 on 11:09 - Apr 11 with 6183 viewsMushty

The Day West Brom fans outnumber Little Portsmouth's at Fratton Park in 1994 on 09:57 - Apr 10 by hedgeend61

59,000 is a bit of a stretch I think, record crowd 51,385 v Derby in an FA Cup game where Derby took their 25% allocation 12,500 , nearly as many as the Baggies

Never ever filled it, or got 50,000+ for a League game, even when they won the League.
14,000 under capacity average both seasons when champions

This one states 58,000
https://www.portsmouth.co.uk/retro/imagine-thrill-58000-capacity-crowd-fratton-p
there's others out there, including one of their fan websites, if you want to dirty yourself looking, that state 59,000
The Day West Brom fans outnumber Little Portsmouth's at Fratton Park in 1994 on 11:15 - Apr 11 with 6177 viewsMytchettSaint

The Day West Brom fans outnumber Little Portsmouth's at Fratton Park in 1994 on 12:54 - Apr 10 by 130yrs_and_one_Cup

I preferred the West Brom game in the PL. I think it was 2005

A club with class and integrity....

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1259032/Avram-Grant-Ill-field

Block 13; Curva Itchen Sud

The Day West Brom fans outnumber Little Portsmouth's at Fratton Park in 1994 on 13:18 - Apr 11 with 6103 viewshedgeend61

The Day West Brom fans outnumber Little Portsmouth's at Fratton Park in 1994 on 11:09 - Apr 11 by Mushty

This one states 58,000
https://www.portsmouth.co.uk/retro/imagine-thrill-58000-capacity-crowd-fratton-p
there's others out there, including one of their fan websites, if you want to dirty yourself looking, that state 59,000

Interesting, I never knew that.

So they never ever filled it, rarely half filled it, got within 6500 of capacity and averaged 21,000 short of capacity even when they won the League.

Impressive
The Day West Brom fans outnumber Little Portsmouth's at Fratton Park in 1994 on 13:29 - Apr 11 with 6085 viewsdirk_doone

The Day West Brom fans outnumber Little Portsmouth's at Fratton Park in 1994 on 13:18 - Apr 11 by hedgeend61

Interesting, I never knew that.

So they never ever filled it, rarely half filled it, got within 6500 of capacity and averaged 21,000 short of capacity even when they won the League.

Impressive

Even when they were reigning, back-to-back champions, Fratton Park was often more than half-empty, with gates of 21,000 for top flight games, as the number of sailors stationed in Portsmouth had started to decline.

http://pompeyrama.com/pompey-fc-match-243-10-Nov-1951-Pompey-4-Stoke-City-1.html

http://pompeyrama.com/pompey-fc-match-264-12-Mar-1952-Pompey-1-West-Bromwich-Alb
[Post edited 12 Apr 2020 11:41]

The Day West Brom fans outnumber Little Portsmouth's at Fratton Park in 1994 on 14:27 - Jun 1 with 5728 viewsdirk_doone

Away fans taking the Fratton End used to be quite a regular occurrence in the 60s. I remember being in the middle of the Fratton End with Dougal's mob in 1966, when we beat them 5-2.

The commentator says "Those are the fans who've come all the way from Wolverhampton" as the camera shows the Wolves fans with their banners at the back of the Fratton End and then invading the pitch to celebrate their win.

Start at 33:00, when the match begins to get exciting.

[Post edited 1 Jun 2020 16:14]

The Day West Brom fans outnumber Little Portsmouth's at Fratton Park in 1994 on 11:17 - Jun 4 with 5456 views130yrs_and_one_Cup

The Day West Brom fans outnumber Little Portsmouth's at Fratton Park in 1994 on 09:14 - Apr 10 by Mushty

"only ever got 2 crowds a shade over 50k "

One of the funniest things I have ever seen on this forum

The Day West Brom fans outnumber Little Portsmouth's at Fratton Park in 1994 on 11:55 - Jun 4 with 5443 viewsYarman

The Day West Brom fans outnumber Little Portsmouth's at Fratton Park in 1994 on 11:17 - Jun 4 by 130yrs_and_one_Cup

The Day West Brom fans outnumber Little Portsmouth's at Fratton Park in 1994 on 14:29 - Jun 4 with 5408 views130yrs_and_one_Cup

The Day West Brom fans outnumber Little Portsmouth's at Fratton Park in 1994 on 11:55 - Jun 4 by Yarman

Not sure if your club are on this list yet, if they aren't, how many years will it be before you can sneak into this exclusive club?

https://talksport.com/football/354931/record-attendances-football-aston-villa-ch

The Day West Brom fans outnumber Little Portsmouth's at Fratton Park in 1994 on 17:45 - Jun 4 with 5351 viewshedgeend61

The Day West Brom fans outnumber Little Portsmouth's at Fratton Park in 1994 on 11:17 - Jun 4 by 130yrs_and_one_Cup

Mushty wrote'

"The harsh reality for them is that traditionally it's always taken outsiders/neutrals to help them fill their ground. Highest capacity around 59,000, only ever got 2 crowds a shade over 50k in their greatest era. Most had disappeared a couple of years after that brief fling with success".

Meaning, Pompey only ever got 2 crowds (I can only find one cup game) a shade over 50k at Fratton Park, not Wembley, OT, Highbury,etc.

So was Fratton capacity 59,000?
So Pompey never had a League attendance of over 50k?
Or got within 10k of ever filling it?, even in title winning years.

http://european-football-statistics.co.uk/attnclub/league/porm.htm
The Day West Brom fans outnumber Little Portsmouth's at Fratton Park in 1994 on 18:40 - Jun 4 with 5321 views130yrs_and_one_Cup

The Day West Brom fans outnumber Little Portsmouth's at Fratton Park in 1994 on 17:45 - Jun 4 by hedgeend61

Mushty wrote'

"The harsh reality for them is that traditionally it's always taken outsiders/neutrals to help them fill their ground. Highest capacity around 59,000, only ever got 2 crowds a shade over 50k in their greatest era. Most had disappeared a couple of years after that brief fling with success".

Meaning, Pompey only ever got 2 crowds (I can only find one cup game) a shade over 50k at Fratton Park, not Wembley, OT, Highbury,etc.

So was Fratton capacity 59,000?
So Pompey never had a League attendance of over 50k?
Or got within 10k of ever filling it?, even in title winning years.

http://european-football-statistics.co.uk/attnclub/league/porm.htm

How were old capacities defined? Have you thought about this?

And, I’ve told you before about certain clubs undercounting attendances. Pompey’s owners, like many club owners would have been able to garner extra revenue, tax free by simply under-counting their attendances. It’s not hard to understand.

Yes. And there was an ‘official’ league attendance over 50k, but as explained above, there almost certainly would have been a number of attendances over 50k.

The Day West Brom fans outnumber Little Portsmouth's at Fratton Park in 1994 on 18:51 - Jun 4 with 5319 viewshedgeend61

The Day West Brom fans outnumber Little Portsmouth's at Fratton Park in 1994 on 18:40 - Jun 4 by 130yrs_and_one_Cup

How were old capacities defined? Have you thought about this?

And, I’ve told you before about certain clubs undercounting attendances. Pompey’s owners, like many club owners would have been able to garner extra revenue, tax free by simply under-counting their attendances. It’s not hard to understand.

Yes. And there was an ‘official’ league attendance over 50k, but as explained above, there almost certainly would have been a number of attendances over 50k.

Which league game was officially over 50k?

Seen 49,831 in 1950, can't see any bigger though.

I've no idea what the official capacity was, just going on what Mushty said, wouldn't have thought he'd have plucked it out of thin air.
The Day West Brom fans outnumber Little Portsmouth's at Fratton Park in 1994 on 19:24 - Jun 4 with 5300 views130yrs_and_one_Cup

The Day West Brom fans outnumber Little Portsmouth's at Fratton Park in 1994 on 18:51 - Jun 4 by hedgeend61

Which league game was officially over 50k?

Seen 49,831 in 1950, can't see any bigger though.

I've no idea what the official capacity was, just going on what Mushty said, wouldn't have thought he'd have plucked it out of thin air.

Can't remember, but think about this logically, the North Stand had seating put in at the top tier in 1951, therefore this action alone would have reduced capacity by several thousand, therefore the imagined 58,000 capacity would have been reduced to about 50,000 at that point. Therefore as soon as Pompey had become double champions, the capacity was vastly reduced.

The Day West Brom fans outnumber Little Portsmouth's at Fratton Park in 1994 on 21:42 - Jun 4 with 5249 viewshedgeend61

The Day West Brom fans outnumber Little Portsmouth's at Fratton Park in 1994 on 19:24 - Jun 4 by 130yrs_and_one_Cup

Can't remember, but think about this logically, the North Stand had seating put in at the top tier in 1951, therefore this action alone would have reduced capacity by several thousand, therefore the imagined 58,000 capacity would have been reduced to about 50,000 at that point. Therefore as soon as Pompey had become double champions, the capacity was vastly reduced.

Can't rememember or never happened?

1952 4 1 4 32.523 15 (46.815) 21.721 QF 88.850 0
1951 7 1 7 32.794 15 (49.716) 22.011 3 10.800 0

You would have thought seats would have vastly reduced capacity by many thousands,
not 2,901
[Post edited 4 Jun 2020 22:05]
The Day West Brom fans outnumber Little Portsmouth's at Fratton Park in 1994 on 12:06 - Jun 5 with 5163 views130yrs_and_one_Cup

The Day West Brom fans outnumber Little Portsmouth's at Fratton Park in 1994 on 21:42 - Jun 4 by hedgeend61

Can't rememember or never happened?

1952 4 1 4 32.523 15 (46.815) 21.721 QF 88.850 0
1951 7 1 7 32.794 15 (49.716) 22.011 3 10.800 0

You would have thought seats would have vastly reduced capacity by many thousands,
not 2,901
[Post edited 4 Jun 2020 22:05]

Not sure what those figures mean, is that a summation of the season?

Never happened, LOL, You lot are so obsessed with attendances. It was the Wolves league game near then end of 49 with 50,248 attending. As stated, the seats were only put in at the top tier, so the attendance would have been curtailed to around 50k officially. ie reduced by 8k or so.

Little Pompey ; LOL

The Day West Brom fans outnumber Little Portsmouth's at Fratton Park in 1994 on 12:22 - Jun 5 with 5158 viewsChesham_Saint

Fooking hell, the self-righteous, super tedious pfc onanist is back. Why can’t we get a more rationale debate on here with a skate? By the way, does anyone know if that pompey fan who took a serious beating off the Turks when England played there ever fully recovered? It was a sad case and many on here chipped in for him.

Poll: Which manager would you prefer Saints to have?

The Day West Brom fans outnumber Little Portsmouth's at Fratton Park in 1994 on 17:17 - Jun 5 with 5100 viewshedgeend61

The Day West Brom fans outnumber Little Portsmouth's at Fratton Park in 1994 on 12:06 - Jun 5 by 130yrs_and_one_Cup

Not sure what those figures mean, is that a summation of the season?

Never happened, LOL, You lot are so obsessed with attendances. It was the Wolves league game near then end of 49 with 50,248 attending. As stated, the seats were only put in at the top tier, so the attendance would have been curtailed to around 50k officially. ie reduced by 8k or so.

Little Pompey ; LOL

https://www.11v11.com/matches/portsmouth-v-wolverhampton-wanderers-01-october-19

Think I've found it, Is that the game Oct 49? 49,831

So no League game ever attracted 50k, or got whithin 8k of capacity? even when you won it.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024