Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Difficult to see when fans will next be able to attend matches 22:31 - Apr 22 with 2091 viewsA1079

Listening to the CMO Chris Whitty who seemed to be saying today that forms of social distancing are going to have to continue for the calendar year at least, it is difficult to see when or how fans will be able to attend matches again or for that matter any spectator sport.

For this current season, I am afraid I am coming to the view that this season needs to be scratched. If they attempt to play the remainder behind closed doors can we seriously expect hardened fans not to stay away even if played at a neutral ground. Can you imagine an important relegation game where the result really matters and fans of either side gather outside which would be a recipe for poor behaviour at a time when the emergency services can ill afford to provide resources to manage it. I appreciate that my view is probably not shared by many but all options seems beset by hurdles with consequences. All that said, I suspect sport is very low on the Govt radar if at all.
Difficult to see when fans will next be able to attend matches on 22:44 - Apr 22 with 1802 viewsPatfromPoole

I think the interesting thing here is going to be the players.

Are they (and their agents) going to be up for matches being behind closed doors, and probably having to be away from their families for many weeks at a time, living in hotels in isolation for months?

I suspect not, as time passes.

Poll: If we win a play-off semi at St. Mary’s should there be a pitch invasion?

Difficult to see when fans will next be able to attend matches on 23:22 - Apr 22 with 1780 viewsSaintsforeverj

With measures in place until a vaccine is found, looks like there won't be any crowds for a year at least. Cue, clubs especially those in the lower leagues saying they have run out of money. The set up of football could be changed forever. Lower league clubs won't survive without a crowd for a whole year.
[Post edited 22 Apr 2020 23:25]

Poll: Would you like Ings to come back?

Difficult to see when fans will next be able to attend matches on 07:38 - Apr 23 with 1700 viewssaint22

Difficult to see when fans will next be able to attend matches on 22:44 - Apr 22 by PatfromPoole

Are they (and their agents) going to be up for matches being behind closed doors, and probably having to be away from their families for many weeks at a time, living in hotels in isolation for months?

The biggest issue for me here is prioritising premier league footballers for testing over those who are more vulnerable in our society
Difficult to see when fans will next be able to attend matches on 08:30 - Apr 23 with 1663 viewsHeisenberg

Anyone attending a football match before we know how this thing pans out wants their head examining. And 22 is right resources are required elsewhere.

“Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously'
Poll: Who should get a statue outside the old girl ?

Difficult to see when fans will next be able to attend matches on 08:38 - Apr 23 with 1652 viewsCity_boy

Will also be interesting to see how clubs approach transfers, If this continues throughout the rest if the year.

Most clubs will have had targets in mind for the new season. Will they still commit to spending £m's with so much uncertainty around ?
Difficult to see when fans will next be able to attend matches on 08:46 - Apr 23 with 1641 viewsSaintNick

Difficult to see when fans will next be able to attend matches on 22:44 - Apr 22 by PatfromPoole

I think you are wrong there Pat the players have no say on whether a match is behind closed doors or not as is seen when clubs are ordered to play behind closed doors due to crowd trouble.

They will not have to be in isolation, all players will be tested before each game and safety restrictions applied, they will be able to live normal lives.

But having said this, being away from their families for a 5 week period is no different from what they experience in World Cups and the Euro championships, so they couldn't complain.

France played 7 games in a 4 week period to win the World Cup in 2018, so 9 in 5 weeks isnt going to be a problem

I think this season has to be completed, there are too many issues not to complete it, most of the posts on social media I read seem to be biased depending on who the poster supports, with Liverpool not winning the league being a big factor.

This should be a time when we are charitable and put hatred to one side, I hate Man Utd I didn't want them to win one Premier League title or any trophy, but I did not begrudge them those titles as they deserved them .

Going forward the country needs sporting events to keep morale up, if we have to stay in isolation of any level then we need some form of entertainment, the government know this and why they are keen to get things running.

If we have to play behind closed doors it is not ideal, but it is better than othe roptions.

Players have no say, they are contracted to play games and unless there are real reasons why they cant play then they have to fulfil their contracts, if they don't then the clubs will suspend them and dock them wages.

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Difficult to see when fans will next be able to attend matches on 09:15 - Apr 23 with 1620 viewsButty101

Difficult to see when fans will next be able to attend matches on 08:46 - Apr 23 by SaintNick

I think you are wrong there Pat the players have no say on whether a match is behind closed doors or not as is seen when clubs are ordered to play behind closed doors due to crowd trouble.

They will not have to be in isolation, all players will be tested before each game and safety restrictions applied, they will be able to live normal lives.

But having said this, being away from their families for a 5 week period is no different from what they experience in World Cups and the Euro championships, so they couldn't complain.

France played 7 games in a 4 week period to win the World Cup in 2018, so 9 in 5 weeks isnt going to be a problem

I think this season has to be completed, there are too many issues not to complete it, most of the posts on social media I read seem to be biased depending on who the poster supports, with Liverpool not winning the league being a big factor.

This should be a time when we are charitable and put hatred to one side, I hate Man Utd I didn't want them to win one Premier League title or any trophy, but I did not begrudge them those titles as they deserved them .

Going forward the country needs sporting events to keep morale up, if we have to stay in isolation of any level then we need some form of entertainment, the government know this and why they are keen to get things running.

If we have to play behind closed doors it is not ideal, but it is better than othe roptions.

Players have no say, they are contracted to play games and unless there are real reasons why they cant play then they have to fulfil their contracts, if they don't then the clubs will suspend them and dock them wages.

As a Liverpool supporter I would expect you to want the season complete.

I still think it will be voided. The government have said for football to start, the governments own 5 means tests have to be met.

Football is just not important right now.

As for the players, if they don’t want to play due to safety fears a club in this climate would struggle to get them to play

Poll: Has the Ross Stewart deal already paid off as Nick says?

Difficult to see when fans will next be able to attend matches on 10:39 - Apr 23 with 1577 viewsSaintNick

Difficult to see when fans will next be able to attend matches on 09:15 - Apr 23 by Butty101

As a Liverpool supporter I would expect you to want the season complete.

I still think it will be voided. The government have said for football to start, the governments own 5 means tests have to be met.

Football is just not important right now.

As for the players, if they don’t want to play due to safety fears a club in this climate would struggle to get them to play

As a football supporter I do not begrudge Liverpool their title they have deserved it.

I have never said football should compromise safety, if it restarts then the 5 tests will have been met and the players will be contractually obliged to play .

I never said that football is important right now, i'm just giving an opinion as to why it will restart, not when or the morals of that

Login to get fewer ads

Difficult to see when fans will next be able to attend matches on 10:58 - Apr 23 with 1558 viewsButty101

Difficult to see when fans will next be able to attend matches on 10:39 - Apr 23 by SaintNick

As a football supporter I do not begrudge Liverpool their title they have deserved it.

I have never said football should compromise safety, if it restarts then the 5 tests will have been met and the players will be contractually obliged to play .

I never said that football is important right now, i'm just giving an opinion as to why it will restart, not when or the morals of that

I’ve know you didn’t say football is important right now. I was giving an opinion.

How about this scenario. Football restarts mid June. Player is out of contract at the and of June. Is he going to play for a team that he can leave in two weeks. Course not, why would he risk getting a virus that could permanently damage his lungs or worse kill him. No chance he’s going to play .

Difficult to see when fans will next be able to attend matches on 11:16 - Apr 23 with 1538 viewsSaintNick

Difficult to see when fans will next be able to attend matches on 10:58 - Apr 23 by Butty101

I’ve know you didn’t say football is important right now. I was giving an opinion.

How about this scenario. Football restarts mid June. Player is out of contract at the and of June. Is he going to play for a team that he can leave in two weeks. Course not, why would he risk getting a virus that could permanently damage his lungs or worse kill him. No chance he’s going to play .

This is a problem that football will have when it restarts, I said when Martin Semmens stated that he thought it would be easy just to extend a contract that I didn't think a player would risk a new contract elsewhere by taking a two week extension.

But out of contract players are not that much of a problem I read that there are around 70 or so in the Premier League, we have three Yoshida and Soares who are out on loan, but who could feasibly play but weren't part of our squad for the rest of the season anyway and Shane Long who could be offered a new deal anyway.

18 of these are reserve goalkeepers and most of the rest are not first choice players in their current teams,

Difficult to see when fans will next be able to attend matches on 11:24 - Apr 23 with 1527 viewsDorsetIan

Difficult to see when fans will next be able to attend matches on 08:30 - Apr 23 by Heisenberg

Anyone attending a football match before we know how this thing pans out wants their head examining. And 22 is right resources are required elsewhere.

The scientist in charge of meeting the testing targets was on Peston last night. He seemed a very laid back sort of individual and - despite it only now being a week away - he seemed very relaxed about getting to the 100,000/day testing capacity by the end of April. For what it's worth, I would take him at his word - he didn't seem like a bullsh!tter.

He also said that when we can do 100,000 a day, 200,000 will not be a big jump. He didn't explain why but again, I'm listening to him.

The only point I'm making in relation to this thread is that pre-match testing of footballers might not, in the near future, be diverting resources from elsewhere.

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

Difficult to see when fans will next be able to attend matches on 13:01 - Apr 23 with 1482 viewsButty101

Difficult to see when fans will next be able to attend matches on 11:16 - Apr 23 by SaintNick

This is a problem that football will have when it restarts, I said when Martin Semmens stated that he thought it would be easy just to extend a contract that I didn't think a player would risk a new contract elsewhere by taking a two week extension.

But out of contract players are not that much of a problem I read that there are around 70 or so in the Premier League, we have three Yoshida and Soares who are out on loan, but who could feasibly play but weren't part of our squad for the rest of the season anyway and Shane Long who could be offered a new deal anyway.

18 of these are reserve goalkeepers and most of the rest are not first choice players in their current teams,

Both of Spurs first choice centre backs and Willian of Chelsea are out of contract . So not insignificant players.

Difficult to see when fans will next be able to attend matches on 13:15 - Apr 23 with 1471 views1885_SFC

Gary Neville on SkySports this morning:

"I am very, very doubtful as I sit here today, the more I hear and listen. An employer cannot put their employees at risk on health and safety grounds.

"There will be a liability issue for employers. As a Salford City owner, I have players who potentially have diabetes, players with asthma. Am I going to put them on a football field and risk their health and safety for a game of football? The answer is quite simply no. I am not sure how Premier League clubs are going to get around it.

"The testing thing is a nonsense. There is no way the Premier League can sell to the public that they're going to have access to tens of thousands of tests when the frontline workers can't get them.

Old School is Cool

Difficult to see when fans will next be able to attend matches on 13:21 - Apr 23 with 1466 viewssaint22

Difficult to see when fans will next be able to attend matches on 13:15 - Apr 23 by 1885_SFC

"I am very, very doubtful as I sit here today, the more I hear and listen. An employer cannot put their employees at risk on health and safety grounds.

"There will be a liability issue for employers. As a Salford City owner, I have players who potentially have diabetes, players with asthma. Am I going to put them on a football field and risk their health and safety for a game of football? The answer is quite simply no. I am not sure how Premier League clubs are going to get around it.

"The testing thing is a nonsense. There is no way the Premier League can sell to the public that they're going to have access to tens of thousands of tests when the frontline workers can't get them.

exactly
i await a full refund from sky
Difficult to see when fans will next be able to attend matches on 13:43 - Apr 23 with 1451 viewsButty101

Difficult to see when fans will next be able to attend matches on 13:21 - Apr 23 by saint22

exactly
i await a full refund from sky

Why would you get a full refund?

Difficult to see when fans will next be able to attend matches on 16:55 - Apr 24 with 1304 viewsdirk_doone

To put things in perspective, very few organised sports leagues have lasted continuously for more than 150 years in the history of the world. I expect the fans who regularly attended arenas to watch their favourite gladiators in action were a bit disappointed when it all came to an end.

The Premier League has been going for 30 years now. Even the Football League has only been operating continuously for 75 years. I wonder how long it will last?
[Post edited 24 Apr 2020 17:03]

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Difficult to see when fans will next be able to attend matches on 17:13 - Apr 24 with 1280 viewsWaylander

Difficult to see when fans will next be able to attend matches on 13:15 - Apr 23 by 1885_SFC

By the time it may be possible to resume matches, frontline workers will be getting all the testing they need.
Difficult to see when fans will next be able to attend matches on 17:50 - Apr 24 with 1254 viewspjt50

Difficult to see when fans will next be able to attend matches on 16:55 - Apr 24 by dirk_doone

To put things in perspective, very few organised sports leagues have lasted continuously for more than 150 years in the history of the world. I expect the fans who regularly attended arenas to watch their favourite gladiators in action were a bit disappointed when it all came to an end.

The Premier League has been going for 30 years now. Even the Football League has only been operating continuously for 75 years. I wonder how long it will last?
[Post edited 24 Apr 2020 17:03]

I see the Dutch Eredivisie has now been abandoned.  Although it doesn't involve anything like the sums of money in the Premier League, it's surely just a matter of time before the latter does the same.  There's no way they can be seen to put mere sport & financial motives before player health.

Football has been in massive need of a "correction" for a long time.  Sad as it is for the less wealthy clubs and everybody impacted, maybe this is the moment when the Premier League bubble finally bursts.  In a way I wouldn't be too disappointed if it did.

Poll: Where do you hope to see Salisu start (OK, I know we haven't seen him yet)?

Difficult to see when fans will next be able to attend matches on 18:01 - Apr 24 with 1239 views1885_SFC

Difficult to see when fans will next be able to attend matches on 17:50 - Apr 24 by pjt50

I see the Dutch Eredivisie has now been abandoned.  Although it doesn't involve anything like the sums of money in the Premier League, it's surely just a matter of time before the latter does the same.  There's no way they can be seen to put mere sport & financial motives before player health.

Football has been in massive need of a "correction" for a long time.  Sad as it is for the less wealthy clubs and everybody impacted, maybe this is the moment when the Premier League bubble finally bursts.  In a way I wouldn't be too disappointed if it did.

I shall be as pleased as punch if it bursts.

For far too long now, players have been taking the piss big time with their 'couldn't give a fook' attitudes & their sheer greed. What really riles me is not only the countless mediocre players awash in the PL that are earning a King's ransom - but the ones that run out onto the pitch every weekend and who quite honestly - couldn't give a fúck about the club or the fans.

Time for a major restructure I think.

Old School is Cool

Difficult to see when fans will next be able to attend matches on 18:44 - Apr 24 with 1219 viewssaint22

Difficult to see when fans will next be able to attend matches on 13:43 - Apr 23 by Butty101

Why would you get a full refund?

erm because i am paying for live sport I cant see
Difficult to see when fans will next be able to attend matches on 19:51 - Apr 24 with 1182 viewsButty101

Difficult to see when fans will next be able to attend matches on 18:44 - Apr 24 by saint22

erm because i am paying for live sport I cant see

And you didn’t think to pause or stop it? What a sharp mind you have.

Difficult to see when fans will next be able to attend matches on 19:57 - Apr 24 with 1177 viewsHappy_Jack

Difficult to see when fans will next be able to attend matches on 19:51 - Apr 24 by Butty101

And you didn’t think to pause or stop it? What a sharp mind you have.

It's this sort of shrewd financial decision making that has catipulted saint22 into the big time.

Millbrook Furnishing shop floor level banter
Poll: Who do you think the best Prime Minister of the last 40 years has been?

Difficult to see when fans will next be able to attend matches on 13:26 - Apr 25 with 1040 views1885_SFC

The head of the Dutch FA says it was a "bitter day" cancelling the Eredivisie season early and thinks it is "very doubtful" the Premier League will be able to complete the 2019-20 campaign.

The top Dutch league was abandoned on Friday with no promotion or relegation and no champions.

Major events in the Netherlands are banned until September because of the coronavirus outbreak.

Just Spee, president of the Dutch FA, the KNVB, said the prospects of football elsewhere in Europe behind closed doors were "slim".

Old School is Cool

Difficult to see when fans will next be able to attend matches on 14:44 - Apr 26 with 921 viewsdirk_doone

Let's hope the Leasing.com Trophy Final goes ahead so that Little Pompey can break the record for the smallest crowd ever at a Wembley final.

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Difficult to see when fans will next be able to attend matches on 15:37 - Apr 28 with 822 views1885_SFC

French FA has just abandoned their league for the rest of the season - following the Dutch and Belgian FA's decisions to abandon theirs.

RIP the Premier League for this season.

Old School is Cool

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024