Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
A football thread ... 11:30 - May 12 with 1679 viewsGennaro_Contaldo

So yeah ... I know no one cares about football at the moment, but this is a football forum ;)

So thought I'd start a transfer thread.

Will there even be a transfer window? What happens to expiring contracts? Does anyone care?

The UI; For the sophisticated gentleman
Poll: Where will Saints finish in the 2018/19 season

A football thread ... on 11:32 - May 12 with 1671 viewsPatfromPoole

The Shane Long situation is still concerning me.

Poll: If we win a play-off semi at St. Mary’s should there be a pitch invasion?

A football thread ... on 11:52 - May 12 with 1660 viewsGennaro_Contaldo

A football thread ... on 11:32 - May 12 by PatfromPoole

The Shane Long situation is still concerning me.

Didn't he extend?

A football thread ... on 11:56 - May 12 with 1648 viewsPatfromPoole

A football thread ... on 11:52 - May 12 by Gennaro_Contaldo

Didn't he extend?

Not that I have heard.

From what I can tell, he could walk in 6 weeks.

A football thread ... on 12:06 - May 12 with 1645 viewsBoris_

A football thread ... on 11:56 - May 12 by PatfromPoole

Not that I have heard.

From what I can tell, he could walk in 6 weeks.

I am not convinced we would walk unless it was a local club. He's very settled in the area from what I know and can't see him wanting to uproot his family.

He's worth giving another year whilst he still has the pace in him.

Poll: Claude Puel

A football thread ... on 12:09 - May 12 with 1634 viewsPatfromPoole

A football thread ... on 12:06 - May 12 by Boris_

I am not convinced we would walk unless it was a local club. He's very settled in the area from what I know and can't see him wanting to uproot his family.

If he were offered a 2-year contract elsewhere, I would be concerned that he could be off.

A football thread ... on 12:32 - May 12 with 1610 viewsdirk_doone

Does the club have any money left? There is even talk now that Premier League clubs will have to pay back some of the TV money they've already received. Unless a new owner can be found to cover the debts, that is going to cause real problems.

They found it hard enough to sell players before this crisis struck; now, it's going to be almost impossible to offload them.

The policy is going to be: Sell! Sell! Sell!. Then when that doesn't work: Loan! Loan! Loan!
So, the first move in the transfer market this summer will probably be to circulate our first team squad list to other clubs, asking if they'd be interested in taking any of them. If their new Saudi owners are in place, Newcastle will be one of the few clubs awash with money this summer so they might take one or two.

As to whether anyone cares or not, a recent YouGov poll showed that 73% of British adults surveyed would not see the return of football as a boost to their morale,

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

A football thread ... on 12:44 - May 12 with 1590 viewsSadoldgit

Ah yes, football, I remember that! Given that finding a vaccine for the Coronavirus is probably easier than sorting out our defensive problems, I am not sure I am looking forward to the transfer window.
A football thread ... on 12:45 - May 12 with 1587 viewssolent_toffee

A football thread ... on 12:32 - May 12 by dirk_doone

Does the club have any money left? There is even talk now that Premier League clubs will have to pay back some of the TV money they've already received. Unless a new owner can be found to cover the debts, that is going to cause real problems.

They found it hard enough to sell players before this crisis struck; now, it's going to be almost impossible to offload them.

The policy is going to be: Sell! Sell! Sell!. Then when that doesn't work: Loan! Loan! Loan!
So, the first move in the transfer market this summer will probably be to circulate our first team squad list to other clubs, asking if they'd be interested in taking any of them. If their new Saudi owners are in place, Newcastle will be one of the few clubs awash with money this summer so they might take one or two.

As to whether anyone cares or not, a recent YouGov poll showed that 73% of British adults surveyed would not see the return of football as a boost to their morale,

The figure quoted last night on the BBC was 340 million pounds, so around 17 million per club, or a Carillio or 3/4 of a Bolasie. Hopefully after this is finished football will have a look at itself and won’t be as dependent on the money from Sky who lets to honest are the ones who are forcing the agenda and putting players at risk.

It’s won’t like, I know I’m being naive.
Login to get fewer ads

A football thread ... on 13:07 - May 12 with 1564 viewsdirk_doone

A football thread ... on 12:45 - May 12 by solent_toffee

The figure quoted last night on the BBC was 340 million pounds, so around 17 million per club, or a Carillio or 3/4 of a Bolasie. Hopefully after this is finished football will have a look at itself and won’t be as dependent on the money from Sky who lets to honest are the ones who are forcing the agenda and putting players at risk.

Yes, the Sky money is one motivation for the restart but the government is pushing for it too as they see it as a positive propaganda exercise and that's why it's probably going to happen

Personally I'd rather watch cricket on TV in June and July. Cricketers are used to playing in empty stadiums so it wouldn't seem much different to usual. I remember watching England play Pakistan in Dubai, in front of a crowd of about 300 in a 25,000-capacity stadium. You could even have the normal crowds for county championship matches, and still have more social distancing between them than you'd find in a typical park nowadays. There'd be about 20 empty seats for every fan at the Ageas Bowl.

Test match commentary on TV and radio would be much more of a morale boost for most sports fans than watching footballers playing at half pace in empty stadiums in the middle of summer, and if John Major or Theresa May had still been PM, we'd probably have got cricket instead, which at least would have signalled some sort of return to normality.
[Post edited 12 May 2020 13:32]

A football thread ... on 13:15 - May 12 with 1549 viewsGennaro_Contaldo

A football thread ... on 12:06 - May 12 by Boris_

Bournemouth?

But yes, I think a couple of years at Saints would be fair - a year of being in/near the first 11 to do what he does, then a year of moving to the background and coaching. He's got "future coach" written all over him, in my opinion?

A football thread ... on 13:27 - May 12 with 1528 viewsPatfromPoole

I think there are going to be an absolute shedload of players available on free transfers, as clubs simply won’t be able to afford to continue paying them.

Plenty of bargains to be had.

A football thread ... on 13:34 - May 12 with 1525 viewsdirk_doone

I'm not ITK but I come back to my original point. Does the club have any money? In fact, isn't it in debt already? So, I'm not sure they could take any additions to the wage bill. Any bargains will be going to clubs that still have money, like Man City.
[Post edited 12 May 2020 13:38]

A football thread ... on 15:02 - May 12 with 1482 viewsYarman

A football thread ... on 12:45 - May 12 by solent_toffee

S/T Do you think with all that is going on right now both in and out of football, it is going to effect the plans for you're new stadium on the Bramley Moore Dock in any way ?. I'm interested because my son in law is a blue, and travels up with ESSCA as much as he can, he is hoping all will be ok and things will sort themselves out. I'm not so sure.
[Post edited 12 May 2020 15:20]
A football thread ... on 15:36 - May 12 with 1458 viewsGennaro_Contaldo

And I'm well aware Danny Rose will hate me starting this thread. To be fair, he's right, but I wanted to talk about something hypothetical like football and transfers :)

I'm waiting for Saint22's list of target players, where are they?

A football thread ... on 16:24 - May 12 with 1435 viewssolent_toffee

A football thread ... on 15:02 - May 12 by Yarman

S/T Do you think with all that is going on right now both in and out of football, it is going to effect the plans for you're new stadium on the Bramley Moore Dock in any way ?. I'm interested because my son in law is a blue, and travels up with ESSCA as much as he can, he is hoping all will be ok and things will sort themselves out. I'm not so sure.
[Post edited 12 May 2020 15:20]

The investment is coming directly from USM, the company that Usmanov owns and Moshiri is involved in so won’t be affected by this crisis, I don’t think so anyway. Liverpool as a city is getting hammered through the lack of tourists coming into the city, so an investment like this will be needed once it’s all clear.

Who’s your son in law? I’m in Essca myself, have been for about 20 years.
A football thread ... on 17:32 - May 12 with 1407 viewsYarman

A football thread ... on 16:24 - May 12 by solent_toffee

The investment is coming directly from USM, the company that Usmanov owns and Moshiri is involved in so won’t be affected by this crisis, I don’t think so anyway. Liverpool as a city is getting hammered through the lack of tourists coming into the city, so an investment like this will be needed once it’s all clear.

Who’s your son in law? I’m in Essca myself, have been for about 20 years.

His initials are A L ….. I went with him when Everton played in Athens and Lisbon a few years ago, travelled over with two other members,( big steve and john) I think. Had been to both places before following England so knew what Athens was like, on the metro to the game, at the stadium , and getting back after the game, very hostile, good turn out by your lads that day. Lisbon is just a great place to have a drink in the sun. Met a lot of Essca lads when there, maybe even you.
A football thread ... on 17:59 - May 12 with 1386 viewssolent_toffee

A football thread ... on 17:32 - May 12 by Yarman

His initials are A L ….. I went with him when Everton played in Athens and Lisbon a few years ago, travelled over with two other members,( big steve and john) I think. Had been to both places before following England so knew what Athens was like, on the metro to the game, at the stadium , and getting back after the game, very hostile, good turn out by your lads that day. Lisbon is just a great place to have a drink in the sun. Met a lot of Essca lads when there, maybe even you.

If I think who A L is, he is a great lad - I introduced him to ESSCA when he first moved down here, went to Bristol City with him. Think we have met at one of the Saints Everton games, though I missed Athens and Lisbon, did go to Nuremberg and Lille with him though.
A football thread ... on 18:25 - May 12 with 1370 viewsYarman

A football thread ... on 17:59 - May 12 by solent_toffee

If I think who A L is, he is a great lad - I introduced him to ESSCA when he first moved down here, went to Bristol City with him. Think we have met at one of the Saints Everton games, though I missed Athens and Lisbon, did go to Nuremberg and Lille with him though.

Small world.... have been to Goodison many times with him, when saints play, or should l say get beat . His family now live in Hale village, good pub there , The Childe of Hale, when we first met him (1998) he used to tuck his trakkie bottoms into his socks and was on a happy al's coach, Ha Ha .
A football thread ... on 06:43 - May 13 with 1311 viewssolent_toffee

A football thread ... on 18:25 - May 12 by Yarman

Small world.... have been to Goodison many times with him, when saints play, or should l say get beat . His family now live in Hale village, good pub there , The Childe of Hale, when we first met him (1998) he used to tuck his trakkie bottoms into his socks and was on a happy al's coach, Ha Ha .

Isn’t it! I dropped him off at his family’s a couple of seasons ago, need to sort out driving up with him next season (whenever that starts), been going up earlier for games or staying on after arranging meeting for work but think that will be a thing of the past with meetings over zoom in the future.

He still wears trackie’s though doesn’t he!!
A football thread ... on 08:13 - May 13 with 1286 viewsYarman

A football thread ... on 06:43 - May 13 by solent_toffee

Isn’t it! I dropped him off at his family’s a couple of seasons ago, need to sort out driving up with him next season (whenever that starts), been going up earlier for games or staying on after arranging meeting for work but think that will be a thing of the past with meetings over zoom in the future.

He still wears trackie’s though doesn’t he!!

True.... but they are better quality trackie's now !!
A football thread ... on 17:16 - May 13 with 1249 viewsJaySaint

How long before we see mass gathering of fans outside of the various grounds?

Poll: Who is responsible for Liverpool's defeat?

A football thread ... on 23:55 - May 13 with 1182 views1885_SFC

A football thread ... on 17:16 - May 13 by JaySaint

How long before we see mass gathering of fans outside of the various grounds?

Not sure. But in Pompey, the "easing of Lockdown" is already underway.

Or "parole" as it's known locally...

Old School is Cool

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024