Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Elon Musk's SpaceX's Falcon 9 rocket tonight... 18:25 - May 27 with 2581 views1885_SFC

Look West, right of the moon; launch, 21:33 GMT, then about 21:50, it will be following the same path as the ISS over the UK. Fingers crossed it all goes well.

Old School is Cool

Elon Musk's SpaceX's Falcon 9 rocket tonight... on 21:46 - May 27 with 2047 views1885_SFC

Launch scrubbed due to bad weather. Bummer.

Old School is Cool

Elon Musk's SpaceX's Falcon 9 rocket tonight... on 22:09 - May 27 with 2038 viewsDorsetIan

Elon Musk's SpaceX's Falcon 9 rocket tonight... on 21:46 - May 27 by 1885_SFC

Yes, v disappointing. Was listening to the Nasa comms as I was working. Interesting that the weather guy said give me 10 more minutes and all would be well but they couldn't delay the launch by even that amount of time. Something to do with the trajectory I presume?

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

Elon Musk's SpaceX's Falcon 9 rocket tonight... on 22:12 - May 27 with 2035 views1885_SFC

Elon Musk's SpaceX's Falcon 9 rocket tonight... on 22:09 - May 27 by DorsetIan

Yes, v disappointing. Was listening to the Nasa comms as I was working. Interesting that the weather guy said give me 10 more minutes and all would be well but they couldn't delay the launch by even that amount of time. Something to do with the trajectory I presume?

Indeed. They have to go as the space station is passing overhead. Any prolonged delay and it's too far to "chase" until it comes around again. Shame because the live NASA YouTube feed was excellent.

Old School is Cool

Elon Musk's SpaceX's Falcon 9 rocket tonight... on 22:18 - May 27 with 2028 viewsDorsetIan

Elon Musk's SpaceX's Falcon 9 rocket tonight... on 22:12 - May 27 by 1885_SFC

Indeed. They have to go as the space station is passing overhead. Any prolonged delay and it's too far to "chase" until it comes around again. Shame because the live NASA YouTube feed was excellent.

Yes, all those space people do their coverage brilliantly. My favourite was when they landed the probe on he comet. That was mental.

Something to look forward to on Saturday night now for the next try.

Did you go to the Kennedy Space Centre in Florida? Highlight of my trip there a few years ago. Hopefully they still do the bit where they recreate the moon landing from the mission control room - hairs on the back of the neck stuff.

Elon Musk's SpaceX's Falcon 9 rocket tonight... on 00:20 - May 28 with 1981 views1885_SFC

Elon Musk's SpaceX's Falcon 9 rocket tonight... on 22:18 - May 27 by DorsetIan

Yes, all those space people do their coverage brilliantly. My favourite was when they landed the probe on he comet. That was mental.

Something to look forward to on Saturday night now for the next try.

Did you go to the Kennedy Space Centre in Florida? Highlight of my trip there a few years ago. Hopefully they still do the bit where they recreate the moon landing from the mission control room - hairs on the back of the neck stuff.

My ship was alongside in Mayport, Jacksonville, Florida for 5-weeks back when I had just turned 19 while the American dockyard workers ('dockies') did essential work on the engine & boilers. That was many years ago now. Anyway, my boss said take a week off - so me and 4 other lads got on a Greyhound bus & drove all day down to Fort Lauderdale. We went past Cape Kennedy/Canaveral... but that was the closest I ever got to it, alas. The lads I was with wanted to go to Lauderdale for a couple of nights, then Miami, up to Orlando for Disney World for two days, and then back to Jacksonville - all via Greyhound.

Seven years later, different ship, I was in Tampa for a 10-day visit & really, really wanted to go up to the space centre. Instead, we hired a car for a few days & went to Daytona Beach, West Palm Beach, and a couple of other places during Spring Break. So I never did do the Space Centre... or The Florida Keys, which I've always wanted to see. Majority rules when you're in a car with five of us! At least during the mad time that is Spring Break in the USA, we found ourselves in a different bar each evening which had a 'Miss Wet T-Shirt' night every night - so some consolation.

Old School is Cool

Elon Musk's SpaceX's Falcon 9 rocket tonight... on 07:52 - May 28 with 1943 viewsbattler

Elon Musk's SpaceX's Falcon 9 rocket tonight... on 00:20 - May 28 by 1885_SFC

My ship was alongside in Mayport, Jacksonville, Florida for 5-weeks back when I had just turned 19 while the American dockyard workers ('dockies') did essential work on the engine & boilers. That was many years ago now. Anyway, my boss said take a week off - so me and 4 other lads got on a Greyhound bus & drove all day down to Fort Lauderdale. We went past Cape Kennedy/Canaveral... but that was the closest I ever got to it, alas. The lads I was with wanted to go to Lauderdale for a couple of nights, then Miami, up to Orlando for Disney World for two days, and then back to Jacksonville - all via Greyhound.

Seven years later, different ship, I was in Tampa for a 10-day visit & really, really wanted to go up to the space centre. Instead, we hired a car for a few days & went to Daytona Beach, West Palm Beach, and a couple of other places during Spring Break. So I never did do the Space Centre... or The Florida Keys, which I've always wanted to see. Majority rules when you're in a car with five of us! At least during the mad time that is Spring Break in the USA, we found ourselves in a different bar each evening which had a 'Miss Wet T-Shirt' night every night - so some consolation.

I joined my 2nd ship in Tampa, straight into a weeks station leave and then the 2nd half of a WIGS deployment, very nice.
Flew out from Brize Norton and whilst my Fiancee and family were sad and upset saying their goodbyes, I couldn't wait to get out there

When I was out in Florida with my family a few years ago we did the Cape Kennedy tour and it was an amazing experience. We all agreed it was better than any of the theme parks and I would definitely do it again, highly recommend it.
Elon Musk's SpaceX's Falcon 9 rocket tonight... on 08:08 - May 28 with 1940 viewsSaintNick

Elon Musk's SpaceX's Falcon 9 rocket tonight... on 07:52 - May 28 by battler

I joined my 2nd ship in Tampa, straight into a weeks station leave and then the 2nd half of a WIGS deployment, very nice.
Flew out from Brize Norton and whilst my Fiancee and family were sad and upset saying their goodbyes, I couldn't wait to get out there

When I was out in Florida with my family a few years ago we did the Cape Kennedy tour and it was an amazing experience. We all agreed it was better than any of the theme parks and I would definitely do it again, highly recommend it.

When I went to the space centre the one thing that struck me was the number of alligators they were everywhere, on the runways, in the rivers even walking around the public areas

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Elon Musk's SpaceX's Falcon 9 rocket tonight... on 08:37 - May 28 with 1925 viewsGennaro_Contaldo

Elon Musk's SpaceX's Falcon 9 rocket tonight... on 08:08 - May 28 by SaintNick

When I went to the space centre the one thing that struck me was the number of alligators they were everywhere, on the runways, in the rivers even walking around the public areas

Absolutely - whilst the space centre is amazing, the volume of alligators is even more amazing. We got their coach in form the car park and I remember that entire road being lined with the buggers.

The UI; For the sophisticated gentleman
Poll: Where will Saints finish in the 2018/19 season

Login to get fewer ads

Elon Musk's SpaceX's Falcon 9 rocket tonight... on 08:55 - May 28 with 1916 viewsTripleNiemi

Elon Musk's SpaceX's Falcon 9 rocket tonight... on 21:46 - May 27 by 1885_SFC

I meant to watch / listen to the launch (and had set an alarm) but my phone was on silent and didnt see it flash up as i was outside following a bar b in the garden. So glad i get the chance to see it hopefully on Saturday now.

I first went to Florida around the mid 90's with two mates and as part of seeing all the usual sites we drove out to Cape Kennedy / Canaveral. Took in a tour and from that day became much more interested in the whole space thing.

A few years later (1999) i decided i would go back and try and time it around a launch. Two other lads fancied Florida so we went for my second visit. Flight landed (stupidly planned for the day the shuttle was due to launch) and we jumped in the hire car and drove out to watch. Sadly at around ten seconds before take off the launch was ditched. Gutted. We were there for two weeks and luckily there was a suitable window three days later for a re-try. Drove out (recall it was fairly dark as late at night) and saw take off. One hell if a sight, absolutely one of the most amazing things i have ever witnessed (technology wise). The whole sky was illuminated from the engines.

The flight was (i think) the first to be commanded by a female (Eileen Collins) and involved the placing of the Chandra telescope into space. Personally i was a bit gutted when the shuttles were retired.

A few days later we then (sat in a diner) caught the two sonic booms when the shuttle re entered earths atmosphere. Didnt know what the noises were but the staff at the diner told us!

If you ever get the chance to go, even if only to walk around Kennedy then do it as it is an eye opener. The VAB is huge and we only realised how big when someone told us you can fit / drive a bus (width wise) up each of the stripes on the American flag on the side of the building. Each star is something like 8' point to point.

There, that's my boring Jackanory for the day........

Roll on Saturday.

Ready and waiting to mop up those European places......

Elon Musk's SpaceX's Falcon 9 rocket tonight... on 10:21 - May 28 with 1901 views1885_SFC

Elon Musk's SpaceX's Falcon 9 rocket tonight... on 08:55 - May 28 by TripleNiemi

I meant to watch / listen to the launch (and had set an alarm) but my phone was on silent and didnt see it flash up as i was outside following a bar b in the garden. So glad i get the chance to see it hopefully on Saturday now.

I first went to Florida around the mid 90's with two mates and as part of seeing all the usual sites we drove out to Cape Kennedy / Canaveral. Took in a tour and from that day became much more interested in the whole space thing.

A few years later (1999) i decided i would go back and try and time it around a launch. Two other lads fancied Florida so we went for my second visit. Flight landed (stupidly planned for the day the shuttle was due to launch) and we jumped in the hire car and drove out to watch. Sadly at around ten seconds before take off the launch was ditched. Gutted. We were there for two weeks and luckily there was a suitable window three days later for a re-try. Drove out (recall it was fairly dark as late at night) and saw take off. One hell if a sight, absolutely one of the most amazing things i have ever witnessed (technology wise). The whole sky was illuminated from the engines.

The flight was (i think) the first to be commanded by a female (Eileen Collins) and involved the placing of the Chandra telescope into space. Personally i was a bit gutted when the shuttles were retired.

A few days later we then (sat in a diner) caught the two sonic booms when the shuttle re entered earths atmosphere. Didnt know what the noises were but the staff at the diner told us!

If you ever get the chance to go, even if only to walk around Kennedy then do it as it is an eye opener. The VAB is huge and we only realised how big when someone told us you can fit / drive a bus (width wise) up each of the stripes on the American flag on the side of the building. Each star is something like 8' point to point.

There, that's my boring Jackanory for the day........

Roll on Saturday.

I think it's all part of being a boy - space, spacemen - when you're growing up... at least it was back in our day. I mean - who didn't want to be one! I've always been interested in space, the planets, what's out there - so to speak. I'm always outdoors at night when meteor showers happen, looking skyward, and we never have enough solar eclipses for my liking. I'm not anal about such things or obsessed - just interested.

I'd love to go to the Space Centre in Florida one day though. It's on my bucket list... as is driving Route 66 in a motorhome for however long it takes me! Not sure if that one will happen - not unless I suddenly become very wealthy!

Old School is Cool

Elon Musk's SpaceX's Falcon 9 rocket tonight... on 13:08 - May 28 with 1884 viewsDorsetIan

Elon Musk's SpaceX's Falcon 9 rocket tonight... on 10:21 - May 28 by 1885_SFC

I think it's all part of being a boy - space, spacemen - when you're growing up... at least it was back in our day. I mean - who didn't want to be one! I've always been interested in space, the planets, what's out there - so to speak. I'm always outdoors at night when meteor showers happen, looking skyward, and we never have enough solar eclipses for my liking. I'm not anal about such things or obsessed - just interested.

I'd love to go to the Space Centre in Florida one day though. It's on my bucket list... as is driving Route 66 in a motorhome for however long it takes me! Not sure if that one will happen - not unless I suddenly become very wealthy!

Agreed. We're all hard wired to like this stuff. Even old school lefties...

Elon Musk's SpaceX's Falcon 9 rocket tonight... on 07:09 - May 30 with 1815 viewskernow

What could be more thrilling than being propelled into outer space with a powerful rocket up your arris?!
Elon Musk's SpaceX's Falcon 9 rocket tonight... on 11:26 - May 30 with 1784 viewsBison

Went to CC a few years ago when we were doing the Disney thing with the family. I lost my prescription sun glasses left them on the shuttle bus or something. I reported them missing at lost property and gave them my details.

A few days after we got home I got a package in the post with NASA marked all over it and in it were my sunglasses. They didn't ask for any postage or anything , NASA are a classy outfit.

Trust no one in a circus.
Poll: Who do you blame for saints not winning every game ?

Elon Musk's SpaceX's Falcon 9 rocket tonight... on 13:21 - May 30 with 1759 viewscocklebreath

What channel is showing the launch? Think my kids will enjoy watching it

Poll: Who is the biggest c*nt?

Elon Musk's SpaceX's Falcon 9 rocket tonight... on 13:48 - May 30 with 1752 viewsRonManager

Elon Musk's SpaceX's Falcon 9 rocket tonight... on 13:21 - May 30 by cocklebreath

What channel is showing the launch? Think my kids will enjoy watching it

https://www.meteorwatch.org/crew-dragon-watch-the-launch-then-see-it-fly-over-uk

also follow @VirtualAstro on twitter for updates.
[Post edited 30 May 2020 14:46]

I can remember when the internet was all fields

Elon Musk's SpaceX's Falcon 9 rocket tonight... on 17:26 - May 30 with 1722 views1885_SFC

I always think Earth looks so fantastic from space. You kinda look down at it and everything you know and everything that's ever been... is there!

I understand fully why those with enough money would want to pay for the experience of seeing Earth from space. I would do too if I was wealthy enough. There can't be many, if any, more exhilarating experiences in human life?

Old School is Cool

Elon Musk's SpaceX's Falcon 9 rocket tonight... on 17:57 - May 30 with 1694 viewsSadoldgit

I am waiting to book the trip with the Flat Earth Society. It is bound to be cheaper as it wont be going as far.
Elon Musk's SpaceX's Falcon 9 rocket tonight... on 19:42 - May 30 with 1676 viewsRonManager

45 minutes to go

Elon Musk's SpaceX's Falcon 9 rocket tonight... on 20:42 - May 30 with 1652 viewsRonManager

All good, should be visible at 10.15 pm ish

Elon Musk's SpaceX's Falcon 9 rocket tonight... on 20:48 - May 30 with 1648 views1885_SFC

Great stuff. The first pass of the spacecraft will take place shortly after take-off, but it will be too light to see in the skies above the UK. A second pass at around 10.15pm will be visible to anyone facing south-west with a clear view of the horizon, so long as the skies stay clear.

Old School is Cool

Elon Musk's SpaceX's Falcon 9 rocket tonight... on 21:01 - May 30 with 1632 viewsRonManager

Meanwhile....

Elon Musk's SpaceX's Falcon 9 rocket tonight... on 21:05 - May 30 with 1627 viewsRonManager

Falcon 9 landing

Elon Musk's SpaceX's Falcon 9 rocket tonight... on 21:15 - May 30 with 1621 views1885_SFC

Elon Musk's SpaceX's Falcon 9 rocket tonight... on 21:05 - May 30 by RonManager

Falcon 9 landing

How clever is that!

Old School is Cool

Elon Musk's SpaceX's Falcon 9 rocket tonight... on 21:34 - May 30 with 1606 viewsRonManager

The OCD part of me is kicking off because it's not EXACTLY In the middle of the circle lol. It'll need tying down sharpish, look a bit choppy out there.
[Post edited 30 May 2020 21:45]

Elon Musk's SpaceX's Falcon 9 rocket tonight... on 22:17 - May 30 with 1593 views1885_SFC

Just watched it pass by in the sky. Terrific sight - and nearer than I thought. It looks like a constant orange glow.

Old School is Cool

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024