Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
June 6th - D-Day... 11:42 - Jun 6 with 1206 views1885_SFC

Sword Beach - assaulted by British 3rd Division, with French and British commandos attached. Remembered with honour on this day, 76-years on. I shall, as always, have a tipple for them tonight.

Old School is Cool

June 6th - D-Day... on 11:55 - Jun 6 with 1191 viewsgrumpy

Brilliant,we owe so much to them.
June 6th - D-Day... on 12:36 - Jun 6 with 1154 viewsSadoldgit

Very brave men. We owe them so much.
June 6th - D-Day... on 13:00 - Jun 6 with 1151 viewsBazza

great film clip
June 6th - D-Day... on 21:35 - Jun 6 with 1029 viewskernow

The greatest Allied offensive operation of World War 2. Although not as massive in scale as the battles in the east, the deception, secrecy, planning, logistics and execution of Operation Overlord were all the more difficult considering this was a multinational, amphibious attack upon a heavily fortified coast against well trained and equipped, battle hardened, fanatical foe.

We owe our freedom to all those men and women involved.
June 6th - D-Day... on 22:22 - Jun 6 with 1010 viewsRon11

June 6th - D-Day... on 21:35 - Jun 6 by kernow

The greatest Allied offensive operation of World War 2. Although not as massive in scale as the battles in the east, the deception, secrecy, planning, logistics and execution of Operation Overlord were all the more difficult considering this was a multinational, amphibious attack upon a heavily fortified coast against well trained and equipped, battle hardened, fanatical foe.

We owe our freedom to all those men and women involved.

We do indeed
June 6th - D-Day... on 23:22 - Jun 6 with 997 views1885_SFC

What about the German beach defences I hear you ask. Well...

Old School is Cool

June 6th - D-Day... on 11:16 - Jun 7 with 942 viewskernow

Interesting and informative historical account.
June 6th - D-Day... on 15:57 - Jun 7 with 914 viewsWints76

Have just gone for a walk around Winchester and ended up at Cheesefoot Head/Mattersley Bowl where Eisenhower addressed the troops before D Day. Joe Louis fought there as well. These days it is used for people to bury drugs ahead of the Boomtown Festival which normally takes place there in August
Login to get fewer ads

June 6th - D-Day... on 19:10 - Jun 7 with 873 viewsNumber_58

For any military history enthusiasts who want to see some of the important D-Day sites but can't afford a coach tour or don't fancy taking a car to France, you can (or at least you could pre-coronavirus) do a Brittany Ferries day trip to Ouistreham from Pompey and visit Sword beach which is literally right next to the ferry port. I took my bike over last summer and also took in Pegasus Bridge, Merville Battery, the CWGC cemeteries at Hermanville and Ranville (where Den Brotheridge, the first British soldier to die on D-Day, is buried), and a couple of other really interesting sites such as Hillman Battery near Colleville. Cost me about £30 for the ferry plus approx £7 for entry to the museums. Pegasus is obviously the most famous location, but Merville Battery was fascinating too. To see the actual locations and battle damaged buildings where history was made all those years ago was a very sobering and rewarding experience.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024