Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Top 10 Saints' strikers of all time 13:34 - Jun 29 with 2322 viewsdirk_doone

How would you rate them? Ings must be in the mix, along with the likes of Kevin Keegan, Alan Shearer, Ted Drake, Martin Chivers, Ron Davies, Mick Channon, Ted MacDougall, Danny Wallace, Marians Pahars, James Beattie, Rickie Lambert and many others. We've also had a few who would be considered among the best strikers at their previous clubs, like Peter Osgood at Chelsea, Mark Hughes at Man United and Joe Jordan at Leeds. Should Le Tissier and Sadio Mané be included as strikers?

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Top 10 Saints' strikers of all time on 14:28 - Jun 29 with 1878 viewsSaintNick

I would say Sadio Mane is a striker although Le Tiss is a midfielder, trouble is formations change and so it can make it difficult to distinguish where a player is playing.

Yesterday Shane Long was definitely playing as a striker but under Ronald Koeman he was deeper lying as was Mane in a sort of 4-3-2-1 formation

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Top 10 Saints' strikers of all time on 14:57 - Jun 29 with 1860 viewsdirk_doone

Top 10 Saints' strikers of all time on 14:28 - Jun 29 by SaintNick

I would say Sadio Mane is a striker although Le Tiss is a midfielder, trouble is formations change and so it can make it difficult to distinguish where a player is playing.

Yesterday Shane Long was definitely playing as a striker but under Ronald Koeman he was deeper lying as was Mane in a sort of 4-3-2-1 formation

I rated Koeman very highly as a manager but I think one of the things he got wrong at Saints was sticking Mané out on the wing for most of his time here. When he finally played him as a striker, I remember thinking, at last!

So, what would be your top 10, Nick?
[Post edited 29 Jun 2020 14:58]

Top 10 Saints' strikers of all time on 15:54 - Jun 29 with 1823 viewsBicester_North

Can only go by the ones I’ve actually seen so only

Moran
Shearer
Beattie
Lambert
D Wallace
R Wallace
Pahars
Mane if he’s allowed
Ings

Would really stand out. The likes of Rideout, Long, Pelle, Kevin Davies and Jay Rodriguez had their moments, could even say Kevin Phillips was a great striker.

Poll: Who do you feel most sorry for

Top 10 Saints' strikers of all time on 16:28 - Jun 29 with 1804 viewsSaintNick

Top 10 Saints' strikers of all time on 14:57 - Jun 29 by dirk_doone

I rated Koeman very highly as a manager but I think one of the things he got wrong at Saints was sticking Mané out on the wing for most of his time here. When he finally played him as a striker, I remember thinking, at last!

So, what would be your top 10, Nick?
[Post edited 29 Jun 2020 14:58]

I wouldnt argue too much with most of the ones you mentioned

Kevin Keegan, Alan Shearer, Martin Chivers, Ron Davies, Mick Channon, , Danny Wallace, Marians Pahars, James Beattie, Rickie Lambert I would agree with, I would say Ings has the potential to join them it just depends whether turning 28 in July he feels he has one big move left in him, if he sees out his career here he will be up there.

I would throw in Steve Moran he played more games than Pahars for instance and scored more goals at a better goals per game ratio

Top 10 Saints' strikers of all time on 16:43 - Jun 29 with 1787 viewsBicester_North

Top 10 worst

Ali Dia
Speedie
Dixon
Tadanari Lee
Mayuka
Delgado
Maskell
Jordan Robertson
Matt Paterson
Pericard

Top 10 Saints' strikers of all time on 17:15 - Jun 29 with 1756 viewscocklebreath

Top 10 Saints' strikers of all time on 16:43 - Jun 29 by Bicester_North

Top 10 worst

Ali Dia
Speedie
Dixon
Tadanari Lee
Mayuka
Delgado
Maskell
Jordan Robertson
Matt Paterson
Pericard

You’ve missed the worst Carrillo

Poll: Who is the biggest c*nt?

Top 10 Saints' strikers of all time on 17:21 - Jun 29 with 1754 viewsericofarabia

I can't think of 10 strikers for our club, but here are a few

Van Dick. Absolute top of the list for sh!t houseness stakes. Pretending to still be injured, not wanting to go on pre season training, not pulling his weight when he did agree to play, illegal meeting with opposition manager without SFC consent but both escaped punishment and LFC got a paltry fine.

Lovren. Couldn't play for us without a head on his shoulders

Lallana Supposedly said he wouldnt play for us if the move was turned down, but also admitted his was dreaming of playing for them for most of the season whilst he was captaining us. Spot the connection between those 3!!

Wanyama Possibly cost us progress in Europe and also got some unnecessary red cards as well, just couldnt give a damn.

Morgan ... at least he put in a decent shift for the rest of the season after the initial throwing toys out of the pram stage.

Kenwynne Jones ... he actually did go on strike if I remember correctly.
Top 10 Saints' strikers of all time on 18:32 - Jun 29 with 1710 viewsBicester_North

Top 10 Saints' strikers of all time on 17:15 - Jun 29 by cocklebreath

Login to get fewer ads

Top 10 Saints' strikers of all time on 00:33 - Jun 30 with 1618 viewsTimSaint

Dirk seems to have already included most, so here's a few mentions for strikers for various personal reasons to me.

Channon - my boyhood hero and scorer of that best team goal v Liverpool
Keegan - amazed that we signed him and then to actually see him play for us. Wow.
Clarke - hat trick on debut in a 5-1 win and so good had a fanzine cartoon story about him called Colin of the Saints
Ekeland - really enjoyed his brief spell with us and he seemed to blend in so well.
Beattie - superb couple of seasons, all types of goal and great in 4-2 win at Chelsea
Phillips - quality finisher as per Leicester, Wolves and Man City away
Pahars - our one time saviour. Shame no reminder of him at Skonto Riga stadium.
Mane - 2.56 min hat trick
Long - 7 sec wonder
Ings - exceeded all expectations - really is King.

Adams - once he gets one he'll get more !!

For the other list, Tomas Pekhart who I think we loaned from Spurs and maybe he scored once for us if we were lucky.

TimSaint

Top 10 Saints' strikers of all time on 00:41 - Jun 30 with 1613 viewsTimSaint

My daughter's favourite was Ricky Lambert.

He really was a Southampton goal machine and he not only took us to the Premier League as the song said, but he excelled in the top flight for us, played for England and then topped it with that goal against Scotland !! Tremendous stuff.

TimSaint

Top 10 Saints' strikers of all time on 00:42 - Jun 30 with 1612 viewsSaintsforeverj

A few possibles but obviously not all time greats:

Egil Ostenstad

David Hurst

Ian Dowie (maybe?)

Gregiorz Raziak

Gordon Watson

Joe Jordan

Micky Evans
[Post edited 30 Jun 2020 0:59]

Poll: Would you like Ings to come back?

Top 10 Saints' strikers of all time on 06:46 - Jun 30 with 1556 viewscynicalsaint

Phil Boyer
Top 10 Saints' strikers of all time on 07:04 - Jun 30 with 1548 viewsChesham_Saint

A couple more for you: Keith Cassells and Paul Moody?

Poll: Which manager would you prefer Saints to have?

Top 10 Saints' strikers of all time on 13:51 - Jun 30 with 1479 viewsdirk_doone

Top 10 Saints' strikers of all time on 06:46 - Jun 30 by cynicalsaint

Phil Boyer

Yes, I thought about him. Although he was only capped by England once, it's often forgotten that he was the First Division's top goal scorer in 1979/80. That was the season when, incredibly, we scored 4 or 5 goals nearly every home game.

He formed a lethal scoring partnership with Ted MacDougall at Bournemouth, Norwich and Southampton.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1979—80_in_English_football
[Post edited 30 Jun 2020 13:55]

Top 10 Saints' strikers of all time on 14:06 - Jun 30 with 1462 viewsdirk_doone

This is a great list to pore over and brings back memories of many great Saints' strikers:

http://www.rsssf.com/tablese/engtops.html#1947-1

Top 10 Saints' strikers of all time on 14:19 - Jun 30 with 1453 viewsgrumpy

Ron Davies was one of the best if not the best header of the ball I have ever seen.
Top 10 Saints' strikers of all time on 14:31 - Jun 30 with 1449 viewsdirk_doone

Top 10 Saints' strikers of all time on 14:19 - Jun 30 by grumpy

Ron Davies was one of the best if not the best header of the ball I have ever seen.

Yes, he was the best header in the history of British football. He said that being forced to hurdle in army boots gave him that almost superhuman jumping ability.

He used to rise above the crossbar and head the ball down into the goal. I've never seen any other footballer jump like that.

He was, of course, the First Division's top goal scorer 2 seasons running, which shows just how good he was in an era when English football was at its all-time best. His 4 goals in a game at Old Trafford is still a record there for a visiting player.

Man United tried to buy him several times but Ted Bates kept all of their bids a secret from Davies.

Top 10 Saints' strikers of all time on 14:43 - Jun 30 with 1434 viewsTimSaint

Top 10 Saints' strikers of all time on 17:15 - Jun 29 by cocklebreath

....and Ali Dia !! The Legend !!

TimSaint

Top 10 Saints' strikers of all time on 14:45 - Jun 30 with 1432 viewsBison

Top 10 Saints' strikers of all time on 13:51 - Jun 30 by dirk_doone

Yes, I thought about him. Although he was only capped by England once, it's often forgotten that he was the First Division's top goal scorer in 1979/80. That was the season when, incredibly, we scored 4 or 5 goals nearly every home game.

He formed a lethal scoring partnership with Ted MacDougall at Bournemouth, Norwich and Southampton.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1979—80_in_English_football
[Post edited 30 Jun 2020 13:55]

I remember the school arranged a trip to this game ( it was my first ever) , tell truth I went to see Channon but after this Boyer was my hero and I got my first season ticket the following year.

League Cup 5th Round

13th December 1978

attendance 21,523

scorers
City Nicholl(84 o.g.)
Southampton Boyer(41), Hebbard(77)

ref Clive Thomas

City Corrigan, Donachie, Power, Booth, Watson, Owen, Channon, Bell, Kidd, Hartford, Deyna — sub Barnes(73)

Southampton Gennoe, Golac, Peach, Williams, Nicholl, Waldron, Ball, Boyer, Hebberd, Holmes, Curran — sub Baker(unused)

City struggled in a gale force wind at The Dell. After some great saves from big Joe Corrigan, the Saints finally took the lead in the 41st minute when a low Terry Curran cross was turned in from close range by Phil Boyer.
Southampton made it two in the 77th minute as Trevor Hebberd tucked away a pass from Chris Nicholl.
An own goal by Chris Nicholl with six minutes to go gave City some hope but it came too late for the Blues and they were out of the cup.

Trust no one in a circus.
Poll: Who do you blame for saints not winning every game ?

Top 10 Saints' strikers of all time on 15:07 - Jun 30 with 1416 viewsdirk_doone

Top 10 Saints' strikers of all time on 14:45 - Jun 30 by Bison

I remember the school arranged a trip to this game ( it was my first ever) , tell truth I went to see Channon but after this Boyer was my hero and I got my first season ticket the following year.

League Cup 5th Round

13th December 1978

attendance 21,523

scorers
City Nicholl(84 o.g.)
Southampton Boyer(41), Hebbard(77)

ref Clive Thomas

City Corrigan, Donachie, Power, Booth, Watson, Owen, Channon, Bell, Kidd, Hartford, Deyna — sub Barnes(73)

Southampton Gennoe, Golac, Peach, Williams, Nicholl, Waldron, Ball, Boyer, Hebberd, Holmes, Curran — sub Baker(unused)

City struggled in a gale force wind at The Dell. After some great saves from big Joe Corrigan, the Saints finally took the lead in the 41st minute when a low Terry Curran cross was turned in from close range by Phil Boyer.
Southampton made it two in the 77th minute as Trevor Hebberd tucked away a pass from Chris Nicholl.
An own goal by Chris Nicholl with six minutes to go gave City some hope but it came too late for the Blues and they were out of the cup.

Yes, I was at that one. Four days later, we beat Coventry 4-0 and Boyer scored again. Of course, we also went all the way to the League Cup Final at Wembley that season.
[Post edited 30 Jun 2020 15:08]

Top 10 Saints' strikers of all time on 15:34 - Jun 30 with 1400 viewsBison

Top 10 Saints' strikers of all time on 15:07 - Jun 30 by dirk_doone

Yes, I was at that one. Four days later, we beat Coventry 4-0 and Boyer scored again. Of course, we also went all the way to the League Cup Final at Wembley that season.
[Post edited 30 Jun 2020 15:08]

Yes my first Saints heartbreak , I remember my nan taking me down Rumbridge street and we bought blue and yellow ribbons. I hated Gary Birtles after that game. I remember selling David Peach strawberries at my friends strawberry stall. Best penalty taker I can remember until MLT came along. But I doubt the facts will agree with me !

Trust no one in a circus.
Poll: Who do you blame for saints not winning every game ?

Top 10 Saints' strikers of all time on 18:55 - Jun 30 with 1347 viewskernow

Before my time but Charlie Wayman was revered by my Dad's generation.
Saints were on course for Division 1 until he got injured and they missed out on goal difference or goal average.
Took over a decade after that to eventually gain promotion.

Ron Davies
George O'Brien
Mike Channon
Martin Chivers
Rickie Lambert
Steve Moran
Kevin Keegan
Alan Shearer
Ted McDougall
Phil Boyer
Danny Ings
Top 10 Saints' strikers of all time on 19:32 - Jun 30 with 1332 viewsSadoldgit

Top 10 Saints' strikers of all time on 18:55 - Jun 30 by kernow

Before my time but Charlie Wayman was revered by my Dad's generation.
Saints were on course for Division 1 until he got injured and they missed out on goal difference or goal average.
Took over a decade after that to eventually gain promotion.

Ron Davies
George O'Brien
Mike Channon
Martin Chivers
Rickie Lambert
Steve Moran
Kevin Keegan
Alan Shearer
Ted McDougall
Phil Boyer
Danny Ings

George O’Brien was just before my time so never saw him play, but the others on this list get my vote too.
Top 10 Saints' strikers of all time on 20:19 - Jun 30 with 1314 viewsdirk_doone

When we talk about Saints' strikers who were before our time, Ted Drake was an absolute giant. If his career hadn't been brought to an end by the Second World War when he was at his peak, he'd be remembered as being on a par with Shearer. He averaged close to a goal a game for Saints, Arsenal and England and, of course, holds the record for scoring 7 goals in a top flight league match v Villa.

Top 10 Saints' strikers of all time on 22:38 - Jun 30 with 1280 viewsSaintNick

Top 10 Saints' strikers of all time on 20:19 - Jun 30 by dirk_doone

When we talk about Saints' strikers who were before our time, Ted Drake was an absolute giant. If his career hadn't been brought to an end by the Second World War when he was at his peak, he'd be remembered as being on a par with Shearer. He averaged close to a goal a game for Saints, Arsenal and England and, of course, holds the record for scoring 7 goals in a top flight league match v Villa.

Till I looked after reading your post I didn't realise that Ted Drake had scored so many goals for us in so few games, truly a great striker who as you say had his career cut short by the war.

But quick question does he fall into the category of those who had a great career which started at Saints or they were there early on, but they were not true greats for Saints.

Gareth Bale is definitely in that category, Alex Oxlade Chamberlain another, I would also say Sadio Mane

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024