Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Home and Away 11:38 - Jul 2 with 1603 viewsHeisenberg

Why are Saints often excellent away from home but invariably shite at St Mary's ?

“Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously'
Poll: Who should get a statue outside the old girl ?

Home and Away on 11:57 - Jul 2 with 1580 views130yrs_and_one_Cup

Probably because your fans hardly ever do anything

Poll: Is Southampton FC a big club. Where do they rank?

Home and Away on 12:42 - Jul 2 with 1551 viewsGasGiant

Saints seem to be a better counter attacking team, waiting for the opposition to come on to them then wrestling the ball back and sprinting forward. When the opposition sit back some players look utterly lost. Valery and Obafemi to name but two.
Is this something that Claude Puel identified a few years ago and created home tactics that while boring to watch actually played to Southampton counter attacking strengths and gave more 1-0 wins and fewer 2-0 defeats? Would anyone trade a top 8 finish with a boring team for what Hasenhutl has created since?
Home and Away on 13:05 - Jul 2 with 1536 viewsTimSaint

Home and Away on 11:57 - Jul 2 by 130yrs_and_one_Cup

Probably because your fans hardly ever do anything

What do your fans do ?

Throw Flares into opposition fans ?
Assault players ?
Arse lick a grown man with a bell in a clown suit ?
Sing a bit when the are on TV ?
Boo a hell of a lot.

Whatever it is, it doesn't work for your team, because you have been relegated to the 3rd and 4th tiers in the last 8 or 9 years.

TimSaint

Home and Away on 13:30 - Jul 2 with 1512 viewskingslandstand1

Home and Away on 12:42 - Jul 2 by GasGiant

Saints seem to be a better counter attacking team, waiting for the opposition to come on to them then wrestling the ball back and sprinting forward. When the opposition sit back some players look utterly lost. Valery and Obafemi to name but two.
Is this something that Claude Puel identified a few years ago and created home tactics that while boring to watch actually played to Southampton counter attacking strengths and gave more 1-0 wins and fewer 2-0 defeats? Would anyone trade a top 8 finish with a boring team for what Hasenhutl has created since?

Anyone outside of the club with no affiliation to it found it gobsmacking that Puel went and it still gets mentioned now bearing in mind that since that 8th position and the subsequent sacking we have fought/been relegation fodder

That European journey was incredible, although comparatively short and should at least have got to the knock out stages, and I'd love another one.

But would I want one the way we played back then and be looking above to see where we might be going or look over our shoulders continuously as some are now? I think I may well do but fortunately with Ralph now at the helm I'm starting to look ahead with optimism and looking at who we may catch up with. We are also getting plaudits for what Ralph has done noting where we have been

Next season, depending on the owner pumping at least some cash in, could be a goodun!
Home and Away on 14:07 - Jul 2 with 1488 viewsSaintsforeverj

Home and Away on 13:30 - Jul 2 by kingslandstand1

Anyone outside of the club with no affiliation to it found it gobsmacking that Puel went and it still gets mentioned now bearing in mind that since that 8th position and the subsequent sacking we have fought/been relegation fodder

That European journey was incredible, although comparatively short and should at least have got to the knock out stages, and I'd love another one.

But would I want one the way we played back then and be looking above to see where we might be going or look over our shoulders continuously as some are now? I think I may well do but fortunately with Ralph now at the helm I'm starting to look ahead with optimism and looking at who we may catch up with. We are also getting plaudits for what Ralph has done noting where we have been

Next season, depending on the owner pumping at least some cash in, could be a goodun!

Being a Saints fan means that we are always ready for the next disaster or wary of the chance of things going wrong.

But, to me it looks like everything is coming together and I am positive about the near future. We have a manager who has committed to another 4 years. That brings stability and a chance for his football to be forcefully implemented. He doesn't give up and keeps insisting on the pressing game, which will become second nature: it just takes time. Bit by bit, it also looks like Ralph knows his core team (WP, Redmond, Ings, Bertrand etc).

The plan ( bringing through fit young players and building an aggressive young team) also seems to becoming together and is working. We certainly do look like a fit, young, tenacious and attacking team. The goals seem to be going in too.

In summary, I like Ralph. His style of football is aggressive and attacking. When the players are at it, the team is exciting to watch. If we can find a top quality defender and get Adams scoring too, we should be in for a good year next year.

As for the home / away situation, I can only guess that it's because teams allow us more space to play away from home. Teams sit back at St Mary's and it makes us frustrated perhaps.
[Post edited 2 Jul 2020 14:11]

Poll: Would you like Ings to come back?

Home and Away on 18:46 - Jul 2 with 1434 views1teeminants

Home and Away on 13:05 - Jul 2 by TimSaint

What do your fans do ?

Assault players ?
Boo a hell of a lot.

Whatever it is, it doesn't work for your team, because you have been relegated to the 3rd and 4th tiers in the last 8 or 9 years.

Don’t forget the Thierry Henry w@ nkfest and smashing their own city up.

Poll: Would you take an Fa Cup win if it meant relegation to the championship ?

Home and Away on 21:14 - Jul 2 with 1364 views130yrs_and_one_Cup

Home and Away on 13:05 - Jul 2 by TimSaint

What do your fans do ?

Assault players ?
Boo a hell of a lot.

Lets have a look at the statistics shall we?

Home Win Records

51% Pompey Top Flight . . a great record
49% Pompey All leagues . . not so good

52.5% Soton All Leagues . . .good
45% Soton Top Flight . . . . . . poor

Therefore, I think we can safely say that Soton are a great little lower league team, but can't exactly produce the results in the big league

Whereas, Pompey are an average lower league team, but really turn it on in the big league.

Bear in mind what I have always said, that Pompey just hasn't been as well a run club as the Stripey boys for a long time, then that is why Pompey have struggled in the lower leagues. For whatever reason though, your club just can't cut the mustard with the big boys in the same way that Pompey have over the years, hence the trophy gap.

Of course, we also seem to have good years in the lower leagues as well, but we mix them up with poor seasons as well. These are the facts.
[Post edited 2 Jul 2020 21:19]

Home and Away on 23:32 - Jul 2 with 1296 viewshedgeend61

Home and Away on 21:14 - Jul 2 by 130yrs_and_one_Cup

Home Win Records

Therefore, I think we can safely say that Soton are a great little lower league team, but can't exactly produce the results in the big league

Whereas, Pompey are an average lower league team, but really turn it on in the big league.

Bear in mind what I have always said, that Pompey just hasn't been as well a run club as the Stripey boys for a long time, then that is why Pompey have struggled in the lower leagues. For whatever reason though, your club just can't cut the mustard with the big boys in the same way that Pompey have over the years, hence the trophy gap.

Of course, we also seem to have good years in the lower leagues as well, but we mix them up with poor seasons as well. These are the facts.

"Therefore, I think we can safely say that Soton are a great little lower league team, but can't exactly produce the results in the big league "

Whereas, Pompey are an average lower league team, but really turn it on in the big league."

Yes, Little Pompey really turned it on and ripped it up in 7 seasons in the Premier League, 54 home wins from 133, 40%...... not so good.
One would have expected a little more from the Blues playing in front of the most passionate fans in the Universe nearly filling a 20k capacity most weeks.

Not many alive (or under 85) would remember Little Pompey turning it on in in the big league, and not many alive now will probably ever see them compete at the higest level again, hence chips weighing heavy on their shoulders.

8 seasons in the sun in the last 60 years in the Top Fight, (Saints 42)
Not a great record?, not so good?, poor? or pathetic really?
Login to get fewer ads

Home and Away on 23:41 - Jul 2 with 1286 viewsGennaro_Contaldo

Home and Away on 21:14 - Jul 2 by 130yrs_and_one_Cup

Home Win Records

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.

The UI; For the sophisticated gentleman
Poll: Where will Saints finish in the 2018/19 season

Home and Away on 08:33 - Jul 3 with 1191 viewsRon11

Home and Away on 23:41 - Jul 2 by Gennaro_Contaldo

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.

Is 'funcoolo testa di merda' in there somewhere?
Home and Away on 11:35 - Jul 3 with 1140 views130yrs_and_one_Cup

Home and Away on 23:41 - Jul 2 by Gennaro_Contaldo

Et vita brevior esse debet deprimitur. Try non ad frui, etiam si in mediocris dolor

Home and Away on 11:39 - Jul 3 with 1138 views130yrs_and_one_Cup

Home and Away on 23:32 - Jul 2 by hedgeend61

"Therefore, I think we can safely say that Soton are a great little lower league team, but can't exactly produce the results in the big league "

Whereas, Pompey are an average lower league team, but really turn it on in the big league."

Yes, Little Pompey really turned it on and ripped it up in 7 seasons in the Premier League, 54 home wins from 133, 40%...... not so good.
One would have expected a little more from the Blues playing in front of the most passionate fans in the Universe nearly filling a 20k capacity most weeks.

Not many alive (or under 85) would remember Little Pompey turning it on in in the big league, and not many alive now will probably ever see them compete at the higest level again, hence chips weighing heavy on their shoulders.

8 seasons in the sun in the last 60 years in the Top Fight, (Saints 42)
Not a great record?, not so good?, poor? or pathetic really?

40% is pretty good these days surely?

Lets look at your clubs stats since you have been back in the top flight.
55 wins in 149 games

37%, win ratio, that is even poorer isn't it?

Your club seem to be getting worse as well
Last 4 years

19 wins out of 73 games

26%. win ratio. That is shocking. 40% must seem like out of your reach, and a different world.

Home and Away on 11:53 - Jul 3 with 1133 viewsSonicBoom

This is funny. A pompey fan using stats to show they are better than us despite being several leagues below for many years now.
OK 130, you're doing really well, keep it up. There? Is that better?
Home and Away on 12:07 - Jul 3 with 1123 views130yrs_and_one_Cup

I think your missing the point here, no point scoring from me, just brutal facts.

The question was asked about your home stats, I have just highlighted them, and made a suggestion. If it wasn't for your away form, your club wouldn't be in the top flight.

On Pompey, if you really want to discuss them, we had a 26% home win ratio in the year we were relegated. That is why we got relegated. If the club hadn't sold all their best players, that wouldn't have happened ie the relegation was all about money, and not fan support.

Home and Away on 12:13 - Jul 3 with 1123 viewsSonicBoom

You're missing the point. Stats don't matter.
You can make out we are as terrible as you like. You can point to crowd numbers, money invested - in fact any measure you want to dream up but it's absolutely pointless.
There is only one measure of performance in a system based on league tables and that is where you are today.
Over both our entire histories we have arrived at where we are right now. We are considerably higher than you are so any stat you have where you are "better" than us is irrelevant isn't it - unless is genuinely makes you feel better about life.
Home and Away on 12:35 - Jul 3 with 1113 views130yrs_and_one_Cup

Home and Away on 12:13 - Jul 3 by SonicBoom

You're missing the point. Stats don't matter.
You can make out we are as terrible as you like. You can point to crowd numbers, money invested - in fact any measure you want to dream up but it's absolutely pointless.
There is only one measure of performance in a system based on league tables and that is where you are today.
Over both our entire histories we have arrived at where we are right now. We are considerably higher than you are so any stat you have where you are "better" than us is irrelevant isn't it - unless is genuinely makes you feel better about life.

The OP was

'Why are Saints often excellent away from home but invariably shite at St Mary's ?'

I believe I have addressed this issue for the board, in other words, your home support just isn't very good. As your club has been quite well run, you do OK in the lower leagues, but when you get to the top flight, your fans don't back the team. the fact speak for themselves.

You however, have gone off on some wild goose chase about Soton being better than Pompey. ie you are missing the point.

Home and Away on 12:42 - Jul 3 with 1107 viewsBuggalugs

Home and Away on 12:07 - Jul 3 by 130yrs_and_one_Cup

I think your missing the point here, no point scoring from me, just brutal facts.

The question was asked about your home stats, I have just highlighted them, and made a suggestion. If it wasn't for your away form, your club wouldn't be in the top flight.

On Pompey, if you really want to discuss them, we had a 26% home win ratio in the year we were relegated. That is why we got relegated. If the club hadn't sold all their best players, that wouldn't have happened ie the relegation was all about money, and not fan support.

Even by your standards, your last paragraph...

Poll: How do YOU define a racist?

Home and Away on 13:03 - Jul 3 with 1094 viewsHeisenberg

Home and Away on 12:35 - Jul 3 by 130yrs_and_one_Cup

The OP was

'Why are Saints often excellent away from home but invariably shite at St Mary's ?'

I believe I have addressed this issue for the board, in other words, your home support just isn't very good. As your club has been quite well run, you do OK in the lower leagues, but when you get to the top flight, your fans don't back the team. the fact speak for themselves.

You however, have gone off on some wild goose chase about Soton being better than Pompey. ie you are missing the point.

As the OP the question was about form this season not an invite to discuss comparisons against a lower league team. Our home form this season is primarily down to our inability to break down teams who invariably have 10 players behind the ball. We don't have a playmaker who can unlock defences. Away from home we can play on the break hence our superior form. All about skill and tactics which you don't see so much of in the lower leagues you frequent.

0-4

“Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously'

Home and Away on 14:00 - Jul 3 with 1077 views130yrs_and_one_Cup

Home and Away on 13:03 - Jul 3 by Heisenberg

As the OP the question was about form this season not an invite to discuss comparisons against a lower league team. Our home form this season is primarily down to our inability to break down teams who invariably have 10 players behind the ball. We don't have a playmaker who can unlock defences. Away from home we can play on the break hence our superior form. All about skill and tactics which you don't see so much of in the lower leagues you frequent.

0-4

So, it's not got anything to do with your fans then? Nothing at all?

Home and Away on 14:33 - Jul 3 with 1063 viewsBicester_North

Is our away support the 5th best in the premier league then?

Poll: Who do you feel most sorry for

Home and Away on 15:24 - Jul 3 with 1049 viewsHeisenberg

Home and Away on 14:00 - Jul 3 by 130yrs_and_one_Cup

Nope. We are still shite at home with no fans as has been shown with the return after lockdown.

Home and Away on 15:29 - Jul 3 with 1047 viewsBuggalugs

Home and Away on 14:00 - Jul 3 by 130yrs_and_one_Cup

You must be expecting a heavy defeat tonight then?

Poll: How do YOU define a racist?

Home and Away on 18:18 - Jul 3 with 991 viewshedgeend61

Home and Away on 11:39 - Jul 3 by 130yrs_and_one_Cup

40% is pretty good these days surely?

Lets look at your clubs stats since you have been back in the top flight.
55 wins in 149 games

37%, win ratio, that is even poorer isn't it?

Your club seem to be getting worse as well
Last 4 years

19 wins out of 73 games

26%. win ratio. That is shocking. 40% must seem like out of your reach, and a different world.

46% is the average, so not too bad, though your seasons 2004-10, 2 or 3 clubs were generally strong unlike the the last few seasons when 6 have dominated and rarely got beat. So many PL teams are getting their wins from 70% of their games, and the Top 6 will obviously inflate that average.

40% is miles better than your 20% in 1988 though.

What is a fact though, is during your lifetime and anyone under 75, Little Pompey have been lower league rubbish for 52 years out of the last 60, playing the likes of Port Vale, Plymouth and Peterboro far more often than the big
Hence the fact your fans hating us so much, with chips weighing heavy on their shoulders as hardly anyone alive can remember when they were good, just after the War.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024