Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Diversity Targets for Managers... 17:39 - Jul 29 with 2411 viewsChesham_Saint

A good idea?

I think I have a fair idea which way this debate might go...

Poll: Which manager would you prefer Saints to have?

Diversity Targets for Managers... on 16:59 - Jul 31 with 517 viewsBazza

Much of the political debate being London-centric is influenced by the high numbers of minority groups in the capital. 13% non-‘white’ is correct but only 3% are black, another 3% mixed race plus 7% of various other racial groups. I remember an activist complaining that 3% of business directors were black but arguably that’s proportionate.
Of course there’s never a satisfactory number but I’m highlighting the complexity. Why are there so few Indians subcontinent players in Premier football, maybe because they prefer cricket, for example So this makes any argument for positive social engineering complex and dangerous.
There would definitely be management issues if staff felt an ethnic manager was appointed by colour quota.
In football the FA are still in the dark ages with antiquated committee structure. Who thought it was a good idea to take on Reed at 65 and having a less than glittering career, my mate who’s a Charlton still curses him. The Premier league is too dominated by greed
Diversity Targets for Managers... on 17:35 - Jul 31 with 494 viewsSadoldgit

Diversity Targets for Managers... on 13:12 - Jul 31 by Chesham_Saint

Is there a lack of black managers? I put it to you this could be a false premise. 10-13% of the U.K. population is not ‘caucasian’. So the balance includes a lot of non black people (eg Chinese, Asian, Polynesian). 5 out of 92 current managers are black, that’s about 5.5%, clearly less than the 10- 12 managers there ‘should be’.

However, being a manager is an incredibly volatile job and at times there have been more than 5 managers so perhaps we’re currently at a temporary low.

More importantly, 10-15 years ago there were what? 1 or 2 black managers? That figure has now doubled. With that kind of trend I’d wager that in a few years through natural progression there will easily be 10% of managers from minorities and after that probably a lot more.

Another point worth remembering is that this is not an English issue. Over half of our managers are from overseas. Why aren’t there more black managers in Spain, Germany, France and Italy? I don’t know the figures but I think it would be a fair bet that England is ahead of most If not all of those countries.

Given the number of black players in the professional game, wouldn’t it be expected that there would be more represented at managerial level? Another odd thing in professional football is the number of managers/coaches who get sacked every year for, one assumes, not being very good, but they often walk straight into other jobs. Why aren’t we seeing a succession of new managers/coaches coming through instead of a constant recycling of “failed” managers?
Diversity Targets for Managers... on 17:59 - Jul 31 with 481 viewsChesham_Saint

Diversity Targets for Managers... on 17:35 - Jul 31 by Sadoldgit

Given the number of black players in the professional game, wouldn’t it be expected that there would be more represented at managerial level? Another odd thing in professional football is the number of managers/coaches who get sacked every year for, one assumes, not being very good, but they often walk straight into other jobs. Why aren’t we seeing a succession of new managers/coaches coming through instead of a constant recycling of “failed” managers?

The ones that get recycled generally have had some success in the past (yes, even Mark Hughes) and desperation sees them re-used. Some managers do just retire or fade away or find their level coaching or in the media.

Imposing an artificial constraint (however well meaning) on such a dynamic and cut throat world just won’t work. In time there’ll no doubt be a clutch of once partially successful black managers recycled through clubs like West Ham and Watford.

Wait and see.

Diversity Targets for Managers... on 18:12 - Jul 31 with 480 viewsBazza

Diversity Targets for Managers... on 17:35 - Jul 31 by Sadoldgit

I totally agree Soggy. Just read about Les Reed on Wiki, its a mystery to me how he could get to be a Director of Development and Vice Chairman of the mighty Saints with precious little success in club football, just experience in the FA.
Diversity Targets for Managers... on 01:11 - Aug 1 with 446 viewsSadoldgit

Diversity Targets for Managers... on 17:59 - Jul 31 by Chesham_Saint

The ones that get recycled generally have had some success in the past (yes, even Mark Hughes) and desperation sees them re-used. Some managers do just retire or fade away or find their level coaching or in the media.

Imposing an artificial constraint (however well meaning) on such a dynamic and cut throat world just won’t work. In time there’ll no doubt be a clutch of once partially successful black managers recycled through clubs like West Ham and Watford.

Wait and see.

You are probably right. But at least then black managers/coaches can say that they are being treated equally.
Diversity Targets for Managers... on 06:59 - Aug 1 with 425 viewsJaySaint

Like Chris Houghton.....going round the mill as a partially successful manager?

Poll: Who is responsible for Liverpool's defeat?

Diversity Targets for Managers... on 07:56 - Aug 1 with 415 viewsChesham_Saint

Diversity Targets for Managers... on 06:59 - Aug 1 by JaySaint

Like Chris Houghton.....going round the mill as a partially successful manager?

That’s a bit unfair on Hughton. I’d say he’s generally done very well and deserves another chance. I understand he’s a first rate bloke too.

Diversity Targets for Managers... on 08:46 - Aug 1 with 403 viewsJaySaint

Diversity Targets for Managers... on 07:56 - Aug 1 by Chesham_Saint

That’s a bit unfair on Hughton. I’d say he’s generally done very well and deserves another chance. I understand he’s a first rate bloke too.

In that case, Mark Hughes, Alan pardew et Al have all done well too

Login to get fewer ads

Diversity Targets for Managers... on 09:11 - Aug 1 with 395 viewsChesham_Saint

Diversity Targets for Managers... on 08:46 - Aug 1 by JaySaint

In that case, Mark Hughes, Alan pardew et Al have all done well too

At times they have yes. I just think Hughton has been more consistent. Pardew’s record isn’t actually that bad is it?

Diversity Targets for Managers... on 10:46 - Aug 1 with 377 viewsJaySaint

Diversity Targets for Managers... on 09:11 - Aug 1 by Chesham_Saint

At times they have yes. I just think Hughton has been more consistent. Pardew’s record isn’t actually that bad is it?

In what way has he been more consistent than Mark Hughes?

Diversity Targets for Managers... on 11:33 - Aug 1 with 366 viewsChesham_Saint

Diversity Targets for Managers... on 10:46 - Aug 1 by JaySaint

In what way has he been more consistent than Mark Hughes?

He did well at Norwich and Newcastle and got Brighton up as I recall. Hughes had a purple patch at Stoke and, er, that’s about it?

Diversity Targets for Managers... on 13:03 - Aug 1 with 350 viewsJaySaint

Diversity Targets for Managers... on 11:33 - Aug 1 by Chesham_Saint

He did well at Norwich and Newcastle and got Brighton up as I recall. Hughes had a purple patch at Stoke and, er, that’s about it?

Hughes did well at Blackburn (secured European football)
Did well at Man city before the Arab money
Did well at Stoke (x3 top ten finishes. we would put Ralph in the legend bracket for that)
kept QPR up
Kept saints up
and has managed his country

in fact (unlike Houghton I believe), I dont think Hughes has ever been relegated from the premier league and probably has a string of higher finishes compared to CH.

so, in what way is Houghton more consistent that Mark Hughes?
[Post edited 1 Aug 2020 13:14]

Diversity Targets for Managers... on 15:51 - Aug 1 with 314 viewsChesham_Saint

Diversity Targets for Managers... on 13:03 - Aug 1 by JaySaint

Hughes did well at Blackburn (secured European football)
Did well at Man city before the Arab money
Did well at Stoke (x3 top ten finishes. we would put Ralph in the legend bracket for that)
kept QPR up
Kept saints up
and has managed his country

in fact (unlike Houghton I believe), I dont think Hughes has ever been relegated from the premier league and probably has a string of higher finishes compared to CH.

so, in what way is Houghton more consistent that Mark Hughes?
[Post edited 1 Aug 2020 13:14]

Do you know what Jay, it doesn’t really matter. Hughes is a miserable tvvat and I don’t know Hughton personally. So in short I don’t really give a shit, so you win.

Now I’m off to the beach for a proper brawl....

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024