Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Migrant crossings 07:06 - Aug 4 with 2191 viewsJaySaint

Isn't it wonderful how we help these economic migrants get across to the UK. The give them lodgings in 4* star hotels

Rightly, we need to ensure there is good WiFi service in the hotels...

Poll: Who is responsible for Liverpool's defeat?

Migrant crossings on 07:41 - Aug 4 with 1387 viewscocklebreath

Give it a rest, are you being trained up by Dune. We know you’re a right winger who thinks all foreigners should leave the country but you don’t need to tell us everyday

Poll: Who is the biggest c*nt?

Migrant crossings on 07:54 - Aug 4 with 1365 viewsTripleNiemi

Wrong forum?

Ready and waiting to mop up those European places......

Migrant crossings on 08:03 - Aug 4 with 1349 viewsJaySaint

Migrant crossings on 07:41 - Aug 4 by cocklebreath

Give it a rest, are you being trained up by Dune. We know you’re a right winger who thinks all foreigners should leave the country but you don’t need to tell us everyday

do they not get picked up in UK waters and taken to hotels?

does that not happen?

Migrant crossings on 08:22 - Aug 4 with 1340 viewssolent_toffee

Where’s your evidence that they get taken to 4 star hotels?
Migrant crossings on 08:31 - Aug 4 with 1320 viewsHeisenberg

I haven't posted on here for ages. Is this still a football forum ?

“Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously'
Poll: Who should get a statue outside the old girl ?

Migrant crossings on 08:43 - Aug 4 with 1306 viewsTripleNiemi

Migrant crossings on 08:31 - Aug 4 by Heisenberg

I haven't posted on here for ages. Is this still a football forum ?

Personally I don't mind if people post their drivel to the right areas; at least that way when you only view the 'football forum' posts you can filter out such pony.

Migrant crossings on 11:06 - Aug 4 with 1239 viewsDorsetIan

Migrant crossings on 08:43 - Aug 4 by TripleNiemi

Personally I don't mind if people post their drivel to the right areas; at least that way when you only view the 'football forum' posts you can filter out such pony.

I agree with this. But just had a quick look and quite a few seem to find it hard to post in the non-football part of the forum.

Nick has been deleting threads recently when they have become too abusive (which is fair enough).

Perhaps non-football threads which are started in the football part of the forum should be automatically deleted too?

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

Migrant crossings on 11:53 - Aug 4 with 1208 viewsSadoldgit

Migrant crossings on 08:03 - Aug 4 by JaySaint

do they not get picked up in UK waters and taken to hotels?

does that not happen?

Would you have them drown at sea, left wandering around beaches or sea side town centres? We are still a humane society, despite some doing their best to turn us into a heartless dictatorship.
Login to get fewer ads

Migrant crossings on 12:31 - Aug 4 with 1190 viewsJaySaint

Migrant crossings on 11:53 - Aug 4 by Sadoldgit

Would you have them drown at sea, left wandering around beaches or sea side town centres? We are still a humane society, despite some doing their best to turn us into a heartless dictatorship.

you do realise we are fuelling the illegal activities with our assistance. God knows how many die on the way to the UK.

if we had a zero policy, people would not take the 'risk' and more capacity will be available for genuine asylum seekers

Migrant crossings on 12:51 - Aug 4 with 1173 viewsTripleNiemi

Migrant crossings on 12:31 - Aug 4 by JaySaint

you do realise we are fuelling the illegal activities with our assistance. God knows how many die on the way to the UK.

if we had a zero policy, people would not take the 'risk' and more capacity will be available for genuine asylum seekers

Sadly you are deluded if you think a 'zero policy' would mean an end to this type of scenario. Desperate times means desperate measures.

Anyway, i am not getting drawn further into your political agenda.

Migrant crossings on 13:02 - Aug 4 with 1155 viewsSadoldgit

Migrant crossings on 12:31 - Aug 4 by JaySaint

There are 13 detentions centres in the UK for migrants. I doubt if they could be described as 4* hotels. As for zero tolerance, fortunately at the moment we have zero tolerance for xenophobia and treat people humanely. Don’t you think these people have been through enough sh*t without being treated as non humans by a civilised country?
Migrant crossings on 13:11 - Aug 4 with 1142 viewsChesham_Saint

My view is they should be dealt with very robustly as they do a massive disservice to genuine asylum seekers (who then suffer all the more by being tarred with the same brush).

And if someone could please explain quite why they pass through lovely countries like France to get to the UK I’d love to know?

From a football perspective we’re all currently on tenterhooks waiting for our new centre back to go through the proper checking processes to live and work here, so why should he have to suffer this indignity whilst others seemingly ignore the rules? It’s anomalies like this that piss people off.

Poll: Which manager would you prefer Saints to have?

Migrant crossings on 13:17 - Aug 4 with 1141 viewsBazza

I think you're forgetting that, under EU rules, migrants are supposed to housed in the first EU country they alight. Secondly we pay the French millions to keep illegal migrants to their side of the Channel, not so the French Navy can shepherd them across the British waters.
Do you think its ok that we have migrants numbering the population size of Southampton arriving every year stretching our limited housing, school and NHS budgets, without checks possible regarding any criminal records?
Migrant crossings on 14:18 - Aug 4 with 1109 viewsSadoldgit

Migrant crossings on 13:17 - Aug 4 by Bazza

I think you're forgetting that, under EU rules, migrants are supposed to housed in the first EU country they alight. Secondly we pay the French millions to keep illegal migrants to their side of the Channel, not so the French Navy can shepherd them across the British waters.
Do you think its ok that we have migrants numbering the population size of Southampton arriving every year stretching our limited housing, school and NHS budgets, without checks possible regarding any criminal records?

They have to go somewhere and the UK isn’t the only destination for migrants and refugees. Put yourself in your shoes. How would you feel if you and your family had been bombed out of your homes and your country taken over by hostiles? Ok, we might have the worst government in living memory but we should thank our lucky stars that we arent living in the conditions that many of these people were before they decided to get out.
Migrant crossings on 14:49 - Aug 4 with 1090 viewsChesham_Saint

Migrant crossings on 14:18 - Aug 4 by Sadoldgit

They have to go somewhere and the UK isn’t the only destination for migrants and refugees. Put yourself in your shoes. How would you feel if you and your family had been bombed out of your homes and your country taken over by hostiles? Ok, we might have the worst government in living memory but we should thank our lucky stars that we arent living in the conditions that many of these people were before they decided to get out.

The worst government in living memory? You do swing between rational debate and complete hyperbole.

Frankly, I don’t care about their living conditions and why should I?

I care more the living conditions and aspirations of some poor guy in say, Newcastle or Salford who’s In a 3rd generation with no job than some non-commonwealth freeloader who has no association whatsoever with this country other than that we’re an easy touch.

Harsh I know, but there it is.

Migrant crossings on 15:29 - Aug 4 with 1070 viewssolent_toffee

Migrant crossings on 13:11 - Aug 4 by Chesham_Saint

My view is they should be dealt with very robustly as they do a massive disservice to genuine asylum seekers (who then suffer all the more by being tarred with the same brush).

And if someone could please explain quite why they pass through lovely countries like France to get to the UK I’d love to know?

From a football perspective we’re all currently on tenterhooks waiting for our new centre back to go through the proper checking processes to live and work here, so why should he have to suffer this indignity whilst others seemingly ignore the rules? It’s anomalies like this that piss people off.

I worked for two asylum seekers/refugee charities for over eight years in Southampton. The vast majority of them didn’t have a clue that they were coming to the UK. They paid/it was organised for them to be transported to safety. They didn’t have a clue where they were until they were abandoned or lifted by immigration. Some of them flew in, where possible, and there were some who smuggled themselves into the country.

I must have worked with hundreds of people and their families and can count on one hand those that I thought were disingenuous. And also categorically day that none of them were taken to four star hotels. Whilst claiming asylum they were often put up in run down HMO’s in St Mary’s that no local would ever dream of living, the unlucky ones ended up in Portsmouth in B and B’s beyond disgrace.

I’ve kept in touch with many of the people that I worked with and it’s great to see what they’ve made of their lives and how much they love living in the UK and Southampton. They have jobs, speak English, have families and contribute to society especially Southampton. With the help of this here football forum I also linked them up with Saints and some are regulars at SMS (as if they’ve not suffered enough).
Migrant crossings on 16:24 - Aug 4 with 1044 viewsChesham_Saint

Migrant crossings on 15:29 - Aug 4 by solent_toffee

I worked for two asylum seekers/refugee charities for over eight years in Southampton. The vast majority of them didn’t have a clue that they were coming to the UK. They paid/it was organised for them to be transported to safety. They didn’t have a clue where they were until they were abandoned or lifted by immigration. Some of them flew in, where possible, and there were some who smuggled themselves into the country.

I must have worked with hundreds of people and their families and can count on one hand those that I thought were disingenuous. And also categorically day that none of them were taken to four star hotels. Whilst claiming asylum they were often put up in run down HMO’s in St Mary’s that no local would ever dream of living, the unlucky ones ended up in Portsmouth in B and B’s beyond disgrace.

I’ve kept in touch with many of the people that I worked with and it’s great to see what they’ve made of their lives and how much they love living in the UK and Southampton. They have jobs, speak English, have families and contribute to society especially Southampton. With the help of this here football forum I also linked them up with Saints and some are regulars at SMS (as if they’ve not suffered enough).

It’s good to hear the other side of the story Toffs and that’s heartening. It just seems to me that we have a finite amount of resource and it needs to be allotted fairly and in an orderly fashion. Illegal entry seems like queue jumping to me which isn’t fair.

Migrant crossings on 16:53 - Aug 4 with 1027 viewssolent_toffee

Migrant crossings on 16:24 - Aug 4 by Chesham_Saint

It’s good to hear the other side of the story Toffs and that’s heartening. It just seems to me that we have a finite amount of resource and it needs to be allotted fairly and in an orderly fashion. Illegal entry seems like queue jumping to me which isn’t fair.

I loved the job and it was really kind to me, I buzz off the loved that these people have gone on to have.

I think I’ve mentioned before on here, when I first started in 2000 a lot of the people we had were East European and people fleeing the wars in Kosovo. The immigration system at the time was appalling and loads of people were granted leave to remain that shouldn’t have done, including thousands of Albanians.

Over the next eighteen months, there was a massive increase with people coming from conflicts in Rwanda, Congo and Iraq, Afghanistan, Iran, Syria etc. You only had to watch the news and see the state that they were in to join the dots. An awful lot of them were given Extended Leave to Remain for a fixed period but lots were removed and lots disappeared when their asylum case failed. The system was broke.

Southampton was a host city in that it had a contract to have X amounts of bed space in the city. More often than not they were poor run down places in St Mary’s. At this time, asylum seekers were often held without trial or reason in HMP Winchester and if a bed space became available would be released to it. It was phucking grim.

I watched a programme the other week on people coming in on boats to Lesbos in Greece. It was incredible, no one was stopping him them, while families literally walking around Europe looking for somewhere to live. In 2021. I don’t think that many of them make it as far as the UK even if the media will scare us half to death on how they will come over here, claim housing and take our jobs etc.
Migrant crossings on 16:59 - Aug 4 with 1014 viewsChesham_Saint

Migrant crossings on 16:53 - Aug 4 by solent_toffee

I loved the job and it was really kind to me, I buzz off the loved that these people have gone on to have.

I think I’ve mentioned before on here, when I first started in 2000 a lot of the people we had were East European and people fleeing the wars in Kosovo. The immigration system at the time was appalling and loads of people were granted leave to remain that shouldn’t have done, including thousands of Albanians.

Over the next eighteen months, there was a massive increase with people coming from conflicts in Rwanda, Congo and Iraq, Afghanistan, Iran, Syria etc. You only had to watch the news and see the state that they were in to join the dots. An awful lot of them were given Extended Leave to Remain for a fixed period but lots were removed and lots disappeared when their asylum case failed. The system was broke.

Southampton was a host city in that it had a contract to have X amounts of bed space in the city. More often than not they were poor run down places in St Mary’s. At this time, asylum seekers were often held without trial or reason in HMP Winchester and if a bed space became available would be released to it. It was phucking grim.

I watched a programme the other week on people coming in on boats to Lesbos in Greece. It was incredible, no one was stopping him them, while families literally walking around Europe looking for somewhere to live. In 2021. I don’t think that many of them make it as far as the UK even if the media will scare us half to death on how they will come over here, claim housing and take our jobs etc.

I’m not denying It’s tragic. It’s a very sad situation. But it is also true that we do have finite resources and the people who pay the bills are entitled to express their views and want to see money spent wisely and fairly as they see it. That said, the work you’ve done has been great and for that we should all be grateful.

Migrant crossings on 16:59 - Aug 4 with 1013 viewsJaySaint

Migrant crossings on 16:53 - Aug 4 by solent_toffee

"even if the media will scare us half to death on how they will come over here, claim housing and take our jobs"

for every grim bolt-hole in St Mary's that was used, that is someone else remaining homeless.

I always ask this, would you be prepared to not have a house to live in, so an illegal can wait it his (I say his as these boats rarely, if ever, have women on) asylum claim? That is what we are asking the already homeless to do.
[Post edited 4 Aug 2020 16:59]

Migrant crossings on 17:07 - Aug 4 with 999 viewssolent_toffee

Migrant crossings on 16:59 - Aug 4 by JaySaint

"even if the media will scare us half to death on how they will come over here, claim housing and take our jobs"

for every grim bolt-hole in St Mary's that was used, that is someone else remaining homeless.

I always ask this, would you be prepared to not have a house to live in, so an illegal can wait it his (I say his as these boats rarely, if ever, have women on) asylum claim? That is what we are asking the already homeless to do.
[Post edited 4 Aug 2020 16:59]

That literally makes no sense.

You’re completely misinformed and I have no interest in getting involved in discussing this with you, so I will leave it there.
Migrant crossings on 19:28 - Aug 4 with 915 viewsJaySaint

Migrant crossings on 17:07 - Aug 4 by solent_toffee

That literally makes no sense.

You’re completely misinformed and I have no interest in getting involved in discussing this with you, so I will leave it there.

unless we are building enough housing to effectively create a new Southampton every 12 months, then where do these people all go?

Migrant crossings on 21:17 - Aug 4 with 880 viewssolent_toffee

Migrant crossings on 19:28 - Aug 4 by JaySaint

unless we are building enough housing to effectively create a new Southampton every 12 months, then where do these people all go?

Who are “all these people” in Southampton?
Migrant crossings on 23:28 - Aug 4 with 834 viewsSadoldgit

Migrant crossings on 14:49 - Aug 4 by Chesham_Saint

The worst government in living memory? You do swing between rational debate and complete hyperbole.

Frankly, I don’t care about their living conditions and why should I?

I care more the living conditions and aspirations of some poor guy in say, Newcastle or Salford who’s In a 3rd generation with no job than some non-commonwealth freeloader who has no association whatsoever with this country other than that we’re an easy touch.

Harsh I know, but there it is.

You might not agree with my comments about the government but I am not the only person with that opinion. There are plenty of freeloaders in this country too whose families have been here for generations. As for not caring about foreigners you don’t know but caring for Brits you don’t know, you have a perfect right to do so, but you do realise that basic tribalism has no place in a rapidly shrinking and “global” world.
Migrant crossings on 23:46 - Aug 4 with 828 viewsSadoldgit

Migrant crossings on 15:29 - Aug 4 by solent_toffee

It’s good to read a first hand account about the situation. We need to realise that the vast majority of these people are no different than the rest of us and just want to live their lives in relative safety. The point that we have finite resources is a fair one and goes for every country, but we and every other country also have a basic responsibility to do what we can to help fellow human beings.
We should be eternally thankful that conditions are not so bad here that we feel the need to risk our lives and those of our family in an overcrowded rubber dingy trying to cross the busiest shipping lane in the world.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024