Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Current Covid Stats 16:47 - Aug 10 with 9755 viewsBoris_

There is currently 11 people in the whole of Southampton area in hospital with Covid, 2 in the Portsmouth NHS Trust and 2 in Winchester and Basingstoke hospitals.

No ICU patients in Winchester or Basingstoke hospitals.
No ICU patients in Portsmouth,
5 ICU covid patients in Southampton.

So across the whole of Hampshire, there is FIVE people severely ill with Covid ( none of them admitted in the last 2 weeks... they have been there a while )

There has been ONE Covid admission in to a Hampshire hospital since June.

Why don't the local press want to share the good news, instead of trying to make people feel guilty for going to the beach etc, where it clearly is perfectly safe to do so?

These stats are fantastic news. No doubt that the usual suspects on here will be quick to jump on and paint more doom and gloom.
[Post edited 10 Aug 2020 18:41]

Poll: Claude Puel

Current Covid Stats on 08:34 - Aug 11 with 920 viewsDellHero

Current Covid Stats on 08:15 - Aug 11 by DorsetIan

There’s nothing wrong with a bit of scepticism, which is what you demonstrate, but most of us don’t want the sort of free market in death that you seem to advocate.

I am happy that in this and most countries we have tried to keep the numbers of cases and deaths to a minimum - not least because, unless you also advocate the denial of treatment above a certain age, every critical case demands considerable (limited) NHS resource.

I have gone through the whole of lockdown shopping without a mask, so I find it odd that i now have to put one on. Otherwise, however, I can now do most things that I used to do, so putting on a mask is a small inconvenience.

The UK got much wrong at the beginning but now we are coming out of lockdown in what seems to me a measured, cautious but, so far, successful way. It’s all going to be a very inexact balancing act for a while, but so far so good.

Thank you for a reasoned response DI.

My underlying point might be a bit more obscure. We can absorb the deaths. We can’t really take the economic hit.

I’m a die with your boots on type, I suppose.
Current Covid Stats on 08:44 - Aug 11 with 906 viewsBoris_

Current Covid Stats on 08:31 - Aug 11 by DellHero

Just my point Boris. Some people are enjoying this.

People are enjoying it and you can bet that every single person on this forum who simply refuse to see light at the end of the tunnel voted for someone other than Conservatives at the last election.

The government have got a lot of things wrong through this pandemic. I am not convinced another government would have done any better though. What frustrates me the most is the wishy washy communication and fence sitting throughout.

It is pretty obvious where the transmission hotspots are and what the demographic of those areas are yet we aren't allowed to talk about it and instead must moan at people going to the beach. The government should just be honest about the issues in places such as Luton, Bradford, Birmingham and Gtr Manchester etc.

The overall rate of transmission across the country is around 2 people in every 100,000 will catch Covid each day, the virus in under control and everyones efforts are paying off. The government should be highlighting that rather than spreading fear of a second wave.

Current Covid Stats on 08:52 - Aug 11 with 900 viewskernow

Current Covid Stats on 08:31 - Aug 11 by DellHero

Just my point Boris. Some people are enjoying this.

My local corner shop is usually well stocked and fast and convenient to enter, buy grocerirs and leave without fuss, fear or drama. This is the normality.

The month of August is the height of the "silly seaso" with a large influx of folk from who knows where descending upon the parish.

The same convenience store now has a wired up bouncer on the door, a queue of potential customers, 2m apart, wearing face coverings, stretching around the block one out one in. A long time to wait for a loaf of bread and a bottle of milk.

Of course I could go elsewhere but it's a similar story.

Oh yeah, I'm really enjoying this.
Current Covid Stats on 09:22 - Aug 11 with 872 viewsSalisburySaint

Current Covid Stats on 08:30 - Aug 11 by Boris_

Why do you keep posting articles of isolated incidents around the country which has a population of around 60 million people?

When have I said that the virus doesn't need to be controlled? Go and find a single time on this thread ( or any other ) that suggests that is the case? I think you're another one where your political persuasion is clouding your common sense.

So to clarify again... there is very little Covid transmitting in Hampshire. In Test Valley for example there was 3 cases in the entire region last week! This suggests that people are following the guidelines and it's working, wouldn't you say?

the figures quoted for cases on table is for the whole of Uk not just locally, although you can find out local figues and hotspots too

in the country a as whole the figures are rising, fortunatley not locally though, its no different to Spain where in many regions things are Ok but there are hotspots where things not under control.
Current Covid Stats on 09:28 - Aug 11 with 861 viewsBoris_

Current Covid Stats on 09:22 - Aug 11 by SalisburySaint

the figures quoted for cases on table is for the whole of Uk not just locally, although you can find out local figues and hotspots too

in the country a as whole the figures are rising, fortunatley not locally though, its no different to Spain where in many regions things are Ok but there are hotspots where things not under control.

Have you checked the link you keep posting? You're posting an article about one bloke who went in to a pub and subsequently tested positive for Covid so they shut the pub for a few days. Am I missing something?

Of course there is going to be hotspots around the country but they are all being controlled well and ARE under control, hence why the Chairman of WHO praised the UK for our policy on local lockdowns and used us as an example of how it should be done ( I know that will hurt )

Current Covid Stats on 09:32 - Aug 11 with 855 viewsDellHero

Current Covid Stats on 08:52 - Aug 11 by kernow

My local corner shop is usually well stocked and fast and convenient to enter, buy grocerirs and leave without fuss, fear or drama. This is the normality.

The month of August is the height of the "silly seaso" with a large influx of folk from who knows where descending upon the parish.

The same convenience store now has a wired up bouncer on the door, a queue of potential customers, 2m apart, wearing face coverings, stretching around the block one out one in. A long time to wait for a loaf of bread and a bottle of milk.

Of course I could go elsewhere but it's a similar story.

Oh yeah, I'm really enjoying this.

What part of Cornwall mush?
Current Covid Stats on 09:40 - Aug 11 with 838 viewsDorsetIan

Current Covid Stats on 08:34 - Aug 11 by DellHero

Thank you for a reasoned response DI.

My underlying point might be a bit more obscure. We can absorb the deaths. We can’t really take the economic hit.

I’m a die with your boots on type, I suppose.

I would agree that there is a limit to the economic hit we can take (and it's not just economics because an economic hit leads to deaths from other causes, as well as exacerbating social inequality) but actually with interest rates so extraordinarily low we can borrow our way out of a lot of the economic hit.

And you're right a lot of this is about who we are and our attitudes to things. I am happy that we didn't just let the initial outbreak run (see Brazil) and that we have got the numbers right down now. And I am happy that they don't seem to be rising significantly at the moment.

The priority now should be managing the return to schools and then seeing what happens in the autumn as it cools as people start spending more time indoors.

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

Current Covid Stats on 09:41 - Aug 11 with 835 viewsBoris_

Current Covid Stats on 09:40 - Aug 11 by DorsetIan

I would agree that there is a limit to the economic hit we can take (and it's not just economics because an economic hit leads to deaths from other causes, as well as exacerbating social inequality) but actually with interest rates so extraordinarily low we can borrow our way out of a lot of the economic hit.

And you're right a lot of this is about who we are and our attitudes to things. I am happy that we didn't just let the initial outbreak run (see Brazil) and that we have got the numbers right down now. And I am happy that they don't seem to be rising significantly at the moment.

The priority now should be managing the return to schools and then seeing what happens in the autumn as it cools as people start spending more time indoors.

You're starting to grow on me, mush. x

Login to get fewer ads

Current Covid Stats on 09:46 - Aug 11 with 830 viewsSalisburySaint

Current Covid Stats on 09:28 - Aug 11 by Boris_

Have you checked the link you keep posting? You're posting an article about one bloke who went in to a pub and subsequently tested positive for Covid so they shut the pub for a few days. Am I missing something?

Of course there is going to be hotspots around the country but they are all being controlled well and ARE under control, hence why the Chairman of WHO praised the UK for our policy on local lockdowns and used us as an example of how it should be done ( I know that will hurt )

this was link in my original post

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51768274

i added another link in follow up post

as regards local lockdowns i've already praised the government for this , but i think we followed Spain example
[Post edited 11 Aug 2020 9:54]
Current Covid Stats on 09:53 - Aug 11 with 816 viewsBoris_

Current Covid Stats on 09:46 - Aug 11 by SalisburySaint

this was link in my original post

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51768274

i added another link in follow up post

as regards local lockdowns i've already praised the government for this , but i think we followed Spain example
[Post edited 11 Aug 2020 9:54]

I guess it's which way you look at it. If you're someone with a negative outlook then you will see it as a gradual rise in cases.

I look at it and see that the government are testing more people than ever and those tests are very targeted in hotspots, so it's natural they will find more cases and there will be a slight upward trend.

The more you test, the more you will find. From those with a political agenda, the government will never win. They'll be shouted and screamed at to test test test, then when they do and find more cases, they are told they are losing control.

The virus is well under control in the vast majority of the country and there's some pretty obvious demographics in the map included in the article you posted which I am sure is no coincidence. Culturally asian families live a much closer indoor life with large families, so naturally the virus is going to transmit easier in their community. That's not racism, that's just a fact of life.
[Post edited 11 Aug 2020 9:56]

Current Covid Stats on 09:58 - Aug 11 with 809 viewsgrumpy

Current Covid Stats on 09:53 - Aug 11 by Boris_

I guess it's which way you look at it. If you're someone with a negative outlook then you will see it as a gradual rise in cases.

I look at it and see that the government are testing more people than ever and those tests are very targeted in hotspots, so it's natural they will find more cases and there will be a slight upward trend.

The more you test, the more you will find. From those with a political agenda, the government will never win. They'll be shouted and screamed at to test test test, then when they do and find more cases, they are told they are losing control.

The virus is well under control in the vast majority of the country and there's some pretty obvious demographics in the map included in the article you posted which I am sure is no coincidence. Culturally asian families live a much closer indoor life with large families, so naturally the virus is going to transmit easier in their community. That's not racism, that's just a fact of life.

When you disagree with something it doesn't always mean you have a political agenda.
Current Covid Stats on 10:08 - Aug 11 with 793 viewsSalisburySaint

Current Covid Stats on 09:53 - Aug 11 by Boris_

i see myself as a realist, by the introduction of local lockdowns we seem to be controling the rise in those areas, but unfortunately there are a few other areas not yet in local lockdowns where figures are rising and we shouldn't take our eyes off the ball otherwise things could escalate

Agreed regards living styles of some asian families, but other factors such as unsuitale working conditions in sweatshops in Leicester and how many under 30's are acting recognised by many local authorities including Preston has also contributed.
Current Covid Stats on 10:09 - Aug 11 with 794 viewsJaySaint

in my area, there is no one in hospital for c19 and nil admissions for weeks on end.

yet, turn to the local news / paper, you would have thought we were all about to die with a 2nd wave. Despite all the tourists, beach goers and protests before that, not producing anything like a spike

what is going on here?

Poll: Who is responsible for Liverpool's defeat?

Current Covid Stats on 10:40 - Aug 11 with 766 viewskernow

Current Covid Stats on 09:32 - Aug 11 by DellHero

What part of Cornwall mush?

Mid Cornwall south coast.
Current Covid Stats on 10:42 - Aug 11 with 766 viewsDellHero

Current Covid Stats on 10:09 - Aug 11 by JaySaint

in my area, there is no one in hospital for c19 and nil admissions for weeks on end.

yet, turn to the local news / paper, you would have thought we were all about to die with a 2nd wave. Despite all the tourists, beach goers and protests before that, not producing anything like a spike

what is going on here?

Media morons hyping it to death (no pun intended).
Lazy journalism. Spouting what the government says. The BBC has become a worse state propaganda machine than I would have believed possible.
Media types thinking everyone is thick and can’t work out anything for themselves.
Health and safety mentality taken to another level.
Save the NHS mindset, when I thought they were there to save us.
Generally the population becomes more thick, or so it seems to me. Maybe phone obsession means no-one thinks beyond the next selfie or pouty bragging shot. Attention spans are minimal now. Me, me, me......
People seem to have become stupid and want to be told what to do.
Current Covid Stats on 10:43 - Aug 11 with 764 viewsgrumpy

Current Covid Stats on 10:40 - Aug 11 by kernow

I love St.Ives/Carbis Bay out of season.
Current Covid Stats on 10:49 - Aug 11 with 759 viewsDorsetIan

Current Covid Stats on 10:09 - Aug 11 by JaySaint

what is going on here?

I think the main point is that when (as in Feb & March) people were doing absolutely nothing to check the spread of the virus, it can spread like mad. But as soon as we all started washing our hands and keeping our distance, that had a massive impact on how fast it could spread.

We are still all (mostly) doing those basic things, so the rate of spread is now much much lower. Add to that that the number of cases is right down, so even if the rate of spread increases a bit, it still doesn't make much difference. If you double your speed when you're doing 60mph, you've suddenly doing 120mph. If you're driving at 5mph and you increase by 20%, you're still only doing 6mph.

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

Current Covid Stats on 10:49 - Aug 11 with 758 viewsgrumpy

Current Covid Stats on 10:42 - Aug 11 by DellHero

Media morons hyping it to death (no pun intended).
Lazy journalism. Spouting what the government says. The BBC has become a worse state propaganda machine than I would have believed possible.
Media types thinking everyone is thick and can’t work out anything for themselves.
Health and safety mentality taken to another level.
Save the NHS mindset, when I thought they were there to save us.
Generally the population becomes more thick, or so it seems to me. Maybe phone obsession means no-one thinks beyond the next selfie or pouty bragging shot. Attention spans are minimal now. Me, me, me......
People seem to have become stupid and want to be told what to do.

Mobile Phone Obsession(MPO) has taken over.
Current Covid Stats on 10:52 - Aug 11 with 754 viewskernow

Current Covid Stats on 10:43 - Aug 11 by grumpy

I love St.Ives/Carbis Bay out of season.

The locals call the little puffer train between St Etth and St Ives the covid express.
Current Covid Stats on 12:39 - Aug 11 with 707 viewsBoris_

Current Covid Stats on 09:58 - Aug 11 by grumpy

When you disagree with something it doesn't always mean you have a political agenda.

I guess it's just a coincidence that every person on here who didn't vote for the current government completely refuse to discuss any positive actions from Boris or anything that could suggest we're over the worst of it and the virus is being well controlled now then?

Current Covid Stats on 13:00 - Aug 11 with 699 viewsBoris_

Current Covid Stats on 10:08 - Aug 11 by SalisburySaint

i see myself as a realist, by the introduction of local lockdowns we seem to be controling the rise in those areas, but unfortunately there are a few other areas not yet in local lockdowns where figures are rising and we shouldn't take our eyes off the ball otherwise things could escalate

Agreed regards living styles of some asian families, but other factors such as unsuitale working conditions in sweatshops in Leicester and how many under 30's are acting recognised by many local authorities including Preston has also contributed.

Below are 11 of the top 13 areas in the UK currently with Covid. Overall 3.4% of the English population is Asian. Some of the towns listed have 10 times the average. Even the lower percentages are at least 3 times the national average.

Blackburn 28%
Bradford 27%
Preston 15%
Luton 30%
Leicester 37%
Oadby and Winston 23%
Oldham 20%
Bedford 11.4%
Rochdale 15%
Peterborough 12%
Kirklees 16%

It is pretty clear where the issue lies in terms of transmission yet we're not allowed to discuss it because of political correctness and instead must hammer people for going to the pub or beach.

Not sure what under 30's has to do with it. Asians can be under 30 too.
[Post edited 11 Aug 2020 13:03]

Current Covid Stats on 14:07 - Aug 11 with 664 viewscocklebreath

Current Covid Stats on 10:40 - Aug 11 by kernow

Near Falmouth? Been last 2 years, great place

Poll: Who is the biggest c*nt?

Current Covid Stats on 14:21 - Aug 11 with 649 viewsgrumpy

Current Covid Stats on 12:39 - Aug 11 by Boris_

I guess it's just a coincidence that every person on here who didn't vote for the current government completely refuse to discuss any positive actions from Boris or anything that could suggest we're over the worst of it and the virus is being well controlled now then?

'the virus is being well controlled now then'

Of course it is,don't mention the care homes debacle,the loss of life(worst in europe and one of the worst in the world)PPI chaos etc etc
Current Covid Stats on 14:23 - Aug 11 with 646 viewsBoris_

Current Covid Stats on 14:21 - Aug 11 by grumpy

'the virus is being well controlled now then'

Of course it is,don't mention the care homes debacle,the loss of life(worst in europe and one of the worst in the world)PPI chaos etc etc

What part of 'now' don't you understand?

Current Covid Stats on 15:14 - Aug 11 with 622 viewsDellHero

Current Covid Stats on 10:49 - Aug 11 by DorsetIan

I think the main point is that when (as in Feb & March) people were doing absolutely nothing to check the spread of the virus, it can spread like mad. But as soon as we all started washing our hands and keeping our distance, that had a massive impact on how fast it could spread.

We are still all (mostly) doing those basic things, so the rate of spread is now much much lower. Add to that that the number of cases is right down, so even if the rate of spread increases a bit, it still doesn't make much difference. If you double your speed when you're doing 60mph, you've suddenly doing 120mph. If you're driving at 5mph and you increase by 20%, you're still only doing 6mph.

Solid, reasoned argument DI.

But the stuff about speeding lost me to be fair.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024