Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Alan Knight 07:47 - Aug 12 with 3265 viewsPatfromPoole

Quite a humbling read.

I remember going to his testimonial in 1994 at Fratton, which was an eventful evening......

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8616943/Portsmouth-legend-Ala

Poll: If we win a play-off semi at St. Mary’s should there be a pitch invasion?

Alan Knight on 08:47 - Aug 12 with 2506 viewsdirk_doone

"At 59, Knight is an ambassador for Pompey. Who better than someone who can empathise and offer proof of a way out?

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Alan Knight on 08:52 - Aug 12 with 2489 viewsGennaro_Contaldo

Crikey, I didn't realise he'd been affected that badly and ending his sporting career on only £25k a year shows even more how spoilt the kids are now. Sounds like he's settled again now which is good.

Even more worrying ... $100k for a burst appendix in the US?? Their medical system is so sh*t.

The UI; For the sophisticated gentleman
Poll: Where will Saints finish in the 2018/19 season

Alan Knight on 08:54 - Aug 12 with 2485 viewsSaintNick

Footballers on hard times is a difficult issue, on one hand they have earned a lot more money than most of us and blown it, so there is the issue of that for every ex pro on hard times, there are hundreds if not thousands who are having just a tough time, but have never really earned much or known good times , should someone like that get help first.

The likes of George Best & Paul Gascoigne blur the lines here for the massive help they are given only to blow it time and time again.

Someone like Alan Knight though didn't earn big big money and perhaps players like that are just as deserving in that they have been plunged into situations back when football clubs did little in pastoral care for their players and then suddenly it all ended.

Interested to know what others might think

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Alan Knight on 09:04 - Aug 12 with 2467 viewsSaintNick

Alan Knight on 08:52 - Aug 12 by Gennaro_Contaldo

Crikey, I didn't realise he'd been affected that badly and ending his sporting career on only £25k a year shows even more how spoilt the kids are now. Sounds like he's settled again now which is good.

Even more worrying ... $100k for a burst appendix in the US?? Their medical system is so sh*t.

I just googled it, it seems figures can vary but one sight suggests between $12-30,000, even the horror story of a burst appendix and rushed into emergency was $41,000, i would imagine that back in 2006 it was cheaper

Alan Knight on 09:10 - Aug 12 with 2450 viewsdirk_doone

Alan Knight on 09:04 - Aug 12 by SaintNick

I just googled it, it seems figures can vary but one sight suggests between $12-30,000, even the horror story of a burst appendix and rushed into emergency was $41,000, i would imagine that back in 2006 it was cheaper

Obviously, we all know about Pompey and numbers. Divide by two and you'll get somewhere near the truth. Exaggerating the bills he'd had to pay were probably part of his patter when he used to bum money for beer and fags.

I wonder how much he got from the Daily Mail for his story?
[Post edited 12 Aug 2020 9:15]

Alan Knight on 09:15 - Aug 12 with 2435 viewsPatfromPoole

Alan Knight on 08:54 - Aug 12 by SaintNick

Footballers on hard times is a difficult issue, on one hand they have earned a lot more money than most of us and blown it, so there is the issue of that for every ex pro on hard times, there are hundreds if not thousands who are having just a tough time, but have never really earned much or known good times , should someone like that get help first.

The likes of George Best & Paul Gascoigne blur the lines here for the massive help they are given only to blow it time and time again.

Someone like Alan Knight though didn't earn big big money and perhaps players like that are just as deserving in that they have been plunged into situations back when football clubs did little in pastoral care for their players and then suddenly it all ended.

Interested to know what others might think

Players clearly need financial advice while they are still playing, but it’s the old horse to water syndrome.

I remember reading about how astute Robbie Fowler was by investing in property, whereas Paul Merson cashed in his entire pension so that he could bet on football and horses.

It’s more than just money though; it’s having a reason to get up in the morning. Work provides that for most people.

Alan Knight on 09:21 - Aug 12 with 2422 viewsPatfromPoole

Anybody else go to Knight’s testimonial, BTW?

Think it was possibly the Pomps’ biggest home crowd of the season. First and only time I have been locked in the ground for half an hour after the game at a testimonial.....

Alan Knight on 09:24 - Aug 12 with 2410 viewsdirk_doone

Alan Knight on 09:21 - Aug 12 by PatfromPoole

Think it was possibly the Pomps’ biggest home crowd of the season. First and only time I have been locked in the ground for half an hour after the game at a testimonial.....

I was abroad then but I went to the John Milkins Testimonial at Fratton. He was another of their 'legendary' goalkeepers. We won 7-0.

I see we won the Alan Knight Testimonial 5-1. According to the Guardian, "In a testimonial match for the Portsmouth goalkeeper Alan Knight at Fratton Park Southampton fans ran riot in the town." I don't remember hearing about that.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2003/dec/02/carlingcup0304
[Post edited 12 Aug 2020 9:40]

Login to get fewer ads

Alan Knight on 09:48 - Aug 12 with 2365 viewsBuggalugs

Yep. Can’t remember what was said now, but at the time I thought Dave Beasant’s standup routine was superb.

Poll: How do YOU define a racist?

Alan Knight on 09:58 - Aug 12 with 2337 viewsChesham_Saint

Alan Knight on 08:52 - Aug 12 by Gennaro_Contaldo

Anyone thinking of living in the US really has to factor in health. If you're not insured (which can cost $25k a year for a family) then you can be in big trouble. I was talking to an American lady married to a Brit recently and she cited 2 recent examples she'd personally experienced:

Firstly her nephew got a concussion playing hockey and took and ambulance to the hospital - a 5-10 minute drive. The bill for which was $18,000.
Second her best friend had sold her business for $5m and yet was still working to cover the cost of her cancer treatment.

Scary stuff. Which is why she wouldn't move back to the US.

Poll: Which manager would you prefer Saints to have?

Alan Knight on 10:00 - Aug 12 with 2331 viewsarfurdent

I was there and it was amusing

And the White Knight is talking backwards And the Red Queen's off with her head

Alan Knight on 10:01 - Aug 12 with 2325 viewsJaySaint

I went to that game. 5-1 win and locked in after the game

Poll: Who is responsible for Liverpool's defeat?

Alan Knight on 10:06 - Aug 12 with 2314 viewsdirk_doone

Alan Knight on 10:00 - Aug 12 by arfurdent

I was there and it was amusing

The 7-0 win there was very amusing. It still makes me chuckle that it was a testimonial for their goalkeeper. What a fitting tribute.

Let's hope we can have a testimonial for their current goalkeeper, whoever he is.

[Post edited 12 Aug 2020 10:13]

Alan Knight on 10:36 - Aug 12 with 2251 viewsJaySaint

Alan Knight on 10:06 - Aug 12 by dirk_doone

The 7-0 win there was very amusing. It still makes me chuckle that it was a testimonial for their goalkeeper. What a fitting tribute.

Let's hope we can have a testimonial for their current goalkeeper, whoever he is.

[Post edited 12 Aug 2020 10:13]

What 7-0 win was this?

Alan Knight on 10:40 - Aug 12 with 2248 viewsSaintNick

Alan Knight on 10:36 - Aug 12 by JaySaint

What 7-0 win was this?

At the end of the 1972 season a 7-0 win in a testimonial for Pompey keeper John Milkins

Alan Knight on 10:49 - Aug 12 with 2235 viewsJaySaint

Alan Knight on 10:40 - Aug 12 by SaintNick

At the end of the 1972 season a 7-0 win in a testimonial for Pompey keeper John Milkins

Amazed they have not invited us back lol

Alan Knight on 11:01 - Aug 12 with 2223 viewsHorndeansaint

Salutary lesson in how we should not judge people who have fallen on hard times. I well recall a particular evening at my youngest son's football testimonial evening. That evening was very eventful as well.

From my user name you will gather that he was playing for a team in this area and Alan Knight was the guest of honour at the end of season presentation evening. Unfortunately he was not in the least bit honourable as he turned up absolutely bladdered which was a pretty terrible thing to do in front of several hundred young players, their brothers, sisters, grandparents, mums and dads.

On a different level, I had my car valeted before selling it and one of the lads working hard was another ex Pompey keeper, the much more honourable John Milkins
Alan Knight on 11:04 - Aug 12 with 2221 viewsWints76

I was at the 5-1 testimonial win. Was relatively good natured with MLT being applauded at one point, Bally playing and getting good natured abuse, and Beasant playing up front for us with his gloves on. Changed a bit at the end, with them doing their normal trick of smashing the place up whilst we were kept in with Beasant telling us jokes.

Regards the USA, the father of a good friend of mine was originally from French Guyana. He moved here, built up a successful van hire business and was able to retire in his 50s and moved to the States. Sadly, he had a heart attack playing squash and had to be operated on. He had insurance, but still found himself short by £250k (I think), was declared bankrupt and moved back here where he spent his final days doing odd jobs that he wasn't fit to do.
Alan Knight on 12:03 - Aug 12 with 2163 viewsdirk_doone

Alan Knight on 11:01 - Aug 12 by Horndeansaint

Salutary lesson in how we should not judge people who have fallen on hard times. I well recall a particular evening at my youngest son's football testimonial evening. That evening was very eventful as well.

From my user name you will gather that he was playing for a team in this area and Alan Knight was the guest of honour at the end of season presentation evening. Unfortunately he was not in the least bit honourable as he turned up absolutely bladdered which was a pretty terrible thing to do in front of several hundred young players, their brothers, sisters, grandparents, mums and dads.

On a different level, I had my car valeted before selling it and one of the lads working hard was another ex Pompey keeper, the much more honourable John Milkins

Sounds like he did a bit better for himself than the "Legend". At least he was cleaning cars and looking after himself while the "Legend" was just sleeping in them in between begging for drinks and fags round the local pubs.

Alan Knight on 13:12 - Aug 12 with 2100 viewsTripleNiemi

Alan Knight on 09:15 - Aug 12 by PatfromPoole

Players clearly need financial advice while they are still playing, but it’s the old horse to water syndrome.

I remember reading about how astute Robbie Fowler was by investing in property, whereas Paul Merson cashed in his entire pension so that he could bet on football and horses.

It’s more than just money though; it’s having a reason to get up in the morning. Work provides that for most people.

That is exactly why i like Bertrand; unless i am mistaken i think this guy is steeets ahead when it comes to knowing the value of money and how football can be a short career. I might be wrong but i think he is an astute cookie.
[Post edited 12 Aug 2020 13:17]

Ready and waiting to mop up those European places......

Alan Knight on 13:24 - Aug 12 with 2076 viewsMytchettSaint

Alan Knight on 13:12 - Aug 12 by TripleNiemi

That is exactly why i like Bertrand; unless i am mistaken i think this guy is steeets ahead when it comes to knowing the value of money and how football can be a short career. I might be wrong but i think he is an astute cookie.
[Post edited 12 Aug 2020 13:17]

I was told a while ago he was taking some sort of professional qualification to do with planning law? Is that right?

Block 13; Curva Itchen Sud

Alan Knight on 13:40 - Aug 12 with 2053 viewsTimSaint

Only remembered that the game was on that night, whilst on my way to work - so had to go to the game in a suit !!

A great evening's entertainment - beat them easily, even when utilising Bally (at his age) in the centre of the park and Beasant up front !!

Obviously they got their penalty to allow Knight to score and there was the pitch invasion and goading after the game, but Beasant came over to the away end and told jokes to help pass the time, whilst the police cleared a route for us outside.

I am so pleased to see that he invested my entry fee so wisely in an Oasis song: Cigarettes and Alcohol

I'm sure I have read this article about Knight somewhere before though.

Also curious as to why the Skates changed their badge from an (W)Anchor and Football (as on one of the photos of Knight) to their current Crescented Moon and Star.

TimSaint

Alan Knight on 13:53 - Aug 12 with 2035 viewsGennaro_Contaldo

Alan Knight on 13:40 - Aug 12 by TimSaint

Only remembered that the game was on that night, whilst on my way to work - so had to go to the game in a suit !!

A great evening's entertainment - beat them easily, even when utilising Bally (at his age) in the centre of the park and Beasant up front !!

Obviously they got their penalty to allow Knight to score and there was the pitch invasion and goading after the game, but Beasant came over to the away end and told jokes to help pass the time, whilst the police cleared a route for us outside.

I am so pleased to see that he invested my entry fee so wisely in an Oasis song: Cigarettes and Alcohol

Also curious as to why the Skates changed their badge from an (W)Anchor and Football (as on one of the photos of Knight) to their current Crescented Moon and Star.

On your bottom point, that's always puzzled me too and I just found this ... https://www.dailysabah.com/feature/2015/10/02/the-story-of-the-star-and-crescent

The UI; For the sophisticated gentleman
Poll: Where will Saints finish in the 2018/19 season

Alan Knight on 14:32 - Aug 12 with 2008 viewsdirk_doone

Alan Knight on 13:53 - Aug 12 by Gennaro_Contaldo

On your bottom point, that's always puzzled me too and I just found this ... https://www.dailysabah.com/feature/2015/10/02/the-story-of-the-star-and-crescent

He certainly looks like one of Pompey's owners

"The Symbol of the Crescent and the Star
A simple crescent moon with a star is the most recognizable religious symbol for the Islamic faith. Found on the flags of numerous countries with large Islamic populations, like Turkey and Pakistan, this symbol represents a life led for Allah."

I've always thought that as they have adopted the symbol of Islam as their badge, we should have a Christian one - a red cross - as part of our badge, like A.C. Milan have.
[Post edited 12 Aug 2020 14:39]

Alan Knight on 14:55 - Aug 12 with 1971 viewsSaintNick

Alan Knight on 13:40 - Aug 12 by TimSaint

The star & crescent is the city crest and it was the original Pompey crest and on their shirts in the 40's/50's etc, in the late 70's early 80's like many clubs including ourselves they decided to update their crest into a more modern design and hence had the anchor badge, they have had several other variations of the star & crescent crest as well

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024