Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Is the squad stronger than the one that ended the season? 09:38 - Sep 9 with 2704 viewsButty101

Looking at the lists below, lot of outgoing. I appreciate that quite a few of those players where not contributing. However I would argue that at the moment we are slightly weaker.

Right back looks weaker KWP won me round in the end and if he can sustain that level for a season will be good. Im not sure he is as good as Cedrick though. Plus Varley has gone massively backwards.

Central backs - Who knows we have taken a punt on an unknown. The last 4 punts havent worked.

Midfield -Central midfeild has to be weaker and a real area for concern. Maybe Slattery will come back into the fold and step up. If we lose Romeu and JWP at the same time it dosent bare thinking about. I dont buy into pushing Stephens forward. Hes not played that role and would be a massive gamble.

Goalkeeper/leftback/wingers/Upfront as you were.
Incoming
KWP
Sailsu

Outgoing
Pierre-Emile Højbjerg
Harrison Reed
Alfie Jones
Tyreke Johnson
Mohamed Elyounoussi
Gabon Mario Lemina
Cédric Soares
Maya Yoshida
[Post edited 9 Sep 2020 9:40]

Poll: Has the Ross Stewart deal already paid off as Nick says?

Is the squad stronger than the one that ended the season? on 10:18 - Sep 9 with 2106 viewssaint22

A good post
I cant believe we are going into a season so light in the middle of he park plus, we still havent rectified the centre backs situation. Hopefully Salisu is the answer but we are still 1 injury away from trouble in both areas
Is the squad stronger than the one that ended the season? on 10:29 - Sep 9 with 2094 viewsBuggalugs

Is the squad stronger than the one that ended the season? on 10:18 - Sep 9 by saint22

A good post
I cant believe we are going into a season so light in the middle of he park plus, we still havent rectified the centre backs situation. Hopefully Salisu is the answer but we are still 1 injury away from trouble in both areas

I'm sure you can believe it considering you've consistently posted the same thing every transfer window .

Poll: How do YOU define a racist?

Is the squad stronger than the one that ended the season? on 10:43 - Sep 9 with 2071 viewssaint22

Is the squad stronger than the one that ended the season? on 10:29 - Sep 9 by Buggalugs

I'm sure you can believe it considering you've consistently posted the same thing every transfer window .

that may be but the fact we make the same mistakes each window doesn't make me happy pal
Is the squad stronger than the one that ended the season? on 10:49 - Sep 9 with 2064 viewsBuggalugs

Is the squad stronger than the one that ended the season? on 10:43 - Sep 9 by saint22

that may be but the fact we make the same mistakes each window doesn't make me happy pal

Apologies, I never realised.

Is the squad stronger than the one that ended the season? on 10:51 - Sep 9 with 2065 viewsBison

Is the squad stronger than the one that ended the season? on 10:43 - Sep 9 by saint22

I make the same mistake every week , I can never seem to get the lottery numbers right.

Trust no one in a circus.
Poll: Who do you blame for saints not winning every game ?

Is the squad stronger than the one that ended the season? on 11:17 - Sep 9 with 2042 viewsDorsetIan

The main change is KWP for Hojgberj and, just because KWP is so inexperience, I'd agree that that was maybe a slight weakening. But having another central defender in cancels that out for me. As you say, the rest weren't really contributing so I don't think that they make much difference either way.

Whether we're weaker or stronger will really depend on whether we lose any more or can get anyone else in.

And your comparison is with the end of the last season. It you compare us to the start of last season we are definitely stronger, just on the basis that so many have improved in the last 12 months.

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

Is the squad stronger than the one that ended the season? on 11:32 - Sep 9 with 2031 viewsWints76

Us getting a new RB may inspire Valery to knuckle down and become a decent player, rather than what we saw last season. He is still young so mistakes will be made but hopefully, he can grow.

Obviously worried about centre backs, but nothing new there. I think they can all be half decent, but all need experience alongside them to help them achieve that.

We know we need at least one more midfielder. We are likely to get injuries and suspensions there as well and it is lighter than last season.

I am looking at Djenpo as a new player as well. Hardly played much last season, but has now been in the country a year so should be able to push on.

Maybe we are about the same level as last season, and as I have said elsewhere, get to 38 points, then see what we can conform there. And go for it in the cups
Is the squad stronger than the one that ended the season? on 11:34 - Sep 9 with 2029 views1teeminants

Is the squad stronger than the one that ended the season? on 10:18 - Sep 9 by saint22

A good post

Basically we’re skint mate it’s not rocket science.

Poll: Would you take an Fa Cup win if it meant relegation to the championship ?

Login to get fewer ads

Is the squad stronger than the one that ended the season? on 11:52 - Sep 9 with 2006 viewsSonicBoom

I agree with a lot of what Wints has said.
Djenepo could possibly be a real force for us this season. He's shown glimpses that he has a better eye for goal than Redmond for example but he heeds to stay fit and produce consistently.

I think we are slightly stronger but the main thing is that Ralph stumbled upon a system that fits the team and the second half of the season got better and better. If we can play like that all season we will be comfortably top half. Particularly if Ings can do it again and I am really looking forward to seeing what Adams can do now he knows he can score at this level.
Is the squad stronger than the one that ended the season? on 12:24 - Sep 9 with 1974 viewsI_would

Shows our mentality letting Reed and Lemina go when they are better than Prowse and Romeu. We're subsidising Carillo to about 60k pw, when we could be using him as AM. Hasenhuttl makes funny decisions with choice of players and subs. Always has. I don't rate him.

Poll: How many players should RH play at the back on Saturday?

Is the squad stronger than the one that ended the season? on 12:36 - Sep 9 with 1961 viewsWaylander

Is the squad stronger than the one that ended the season? on 12:24 - Sep 9 by I_would

Shows our mentality letting Reed and Lemina go when they are better than Prowse and Romeu. We're subsidising Carillo to about 60k pw, when we could be using him as AM. Hasenhuttl makes funny decisions with choice of players and subs. Always has. I don't rate him.

Lemina better!? Have you actually watched our games? Lemina had about 3 decent games and for the rest of the time was ineffective and uninterested.
If Reed is better than JWP why isn't he in the England squad?
Is the squad stronger than the one that ended the season? on 12:43 - Sep 9 with 1952 viewsBuggalugs

Is the squad stronger than the one that ended the season? on 12:24 - Sep 9 by I_would

Lol

Is the squad stronger than the one that ended the season? on 12:47 - Sep 9 with 1946 viewsBison

You mean the current manager of the month ? Wife giving you jip , she's probabally frustrated but don't worry James will be back from Denmark soon.

Trust no one in a circus.
Poll: Who do you blame for saints not winning every game ?

Is the squad stronger than the one that ended the season? on 12:50 - Sep 9 with 1942 viewsVagina_Dentata

You say Ralph makes funny selections, yet you want him to play Carrillo, a terrible forward, as an attacking midfielder?

you can drink your weak lemon drink now.

Is the squad stronger than the one that ended the season? on 13:03 - Sep 9 with 1927 viewsthissceptredsaint

Wind up merchant ffs
Is the squad stronger than the one that ended the season? on 14:08 - Sep 9 with 1915 viewskingslandstand1

Is the squad stronger than the one that ended the season? on 13:03 - Sep 9 by thissceptredsaint

Wind up merchant ffs

TBF, he does get bites
Is the squad stronger than the one that ended the season? on 14:09 - Sep 9 with 1916 viewsSaintNick

If we take the title of the post at face value, then yes we are stronger than the end of last season, we have lost Hojbjerg, but he was a bit part player in the 9 games after the restart, he started the first 2 then had only 1 other start in the final 7, playing just 124 minutes out of 630.

So will we miss him ? results say we didn't in those final 9 games, so the midfield was stronger without him.

We have one addition a central defender so we are stronger there and KWP was a member so cant be classed as new for the purpose of answering the question.

Of the 7 others definitely out after Hojbjerg, 5 played no part last season, Soares was replaced by KWP and Yoshida in the league started only 6 games with another 2 as sub, all bar one of those was up to and including the Leicester game, since October his only Premier League action was 5 minutes at the end of the Watford home game, so he is no loss overall.

Yes the loss of Hojbjerg would ideally see us replace him, but we still have a number of midfielders in contention, Smallbone came in and showed he can have a big future, Calum Slattery is back in contention and I think we have a lot of players who can play both centrally and out wide as well as the full backs who i think may well be employed as wing backs with a back 3 at points, so although we could do with another body I think we can cope

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Is the squad stronger than the one that ended the season? on 14:44 - Sep 9 with 1901 viewssaint22

Is the squad stronger than the one that ended the season? on 14:09 - Sep 9 by SaintNick

If we take the title of the post at face value, then yes we are stronger than the end of last season, we have lost Hojbjerg, but he was a bit part player in the 9 games after the restart, he started the first 2 then had only 1 other start in the final 7, playing just 124 minutes out of 630.

So will we miss him ? results say we didn't in those final 9 games, so the midfield was stronger without him.

We have one addition a central defender so we are stronger there and KWP was a member so cant be classed as new for the purpose of answering the question.

Of the 7 others definitely out after Hojbjerg, 5 played no part last season, Soares was replaced by KWP and Yoshida in the league started only 6 games with another 2 as sub, all bar one of those was up to and including the Leicester game, since October his only Premier League action was 5 minutes at the end of the Watford home game, so he is no loss overall.

Yes the loss of Hojbjerg would ideally see us replace him, but we still have a number of midfielders in contention, Smallbone came in and showed he can have a big future, Calum Slattery is back in contention and I think we have a lot of players who can play both centrally and out wide as well as the full backs who i think may well be employed as wing backs with a back 3 at points, so although we could do with another body I think we can cope

"so although we could do with another body I think we can cope"

Not exactly how you want to start season though is it?
thinking we can cope as opposed to knowing we have the ability all over the park to compete
Is the squad stronger than the one that ended the season? on 15:02 - Sep 9 with 1880 viewsPatfromPoole

Still slating JWP, I see.

Are you seriously saying Reed and Lemina are both better than him and Romeu?

Bonkers.

Poll: If we win a play-off semi at St. Mary’s should there be a pitch invasion?

Is the squad stronger than the one that ended the season? on 15:07 - Sep 9 with 1874 viewsSaintNick

Is the squad stronger than the one that ended the season? on 14:44 - Sep 9 by saint22

"so although we could do with another body I think we can cope"

Not exactly how you want to start season though is it?
thinking we can cope as opposed to knowing we have the ability all over the park to compete

You contradict yourself here.

Having the ability to compete all over the park is one thing, in this aspect I think we do have that ability, we are not Manchester City so we could always do with strengthening the side, but for where we are in the grand scheme of things I think we have a squad to compete.

The ability to cope is about being able to still put out a strong side should we have injuries and suspensions, from this point of view I think we might struggle if we had say Romue & Jwp both out at the same time, we have players who can slot in but it won't be as strong as it could be.

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Is the squad stronger than the one that ended the season? on 15:17 - Sep 9 with 1860 viewsSaintsforeverj

Again, I think we will be fine because of Ralph. We finished the season well last year, have now added a physically strong defender. I don't think we will miss Hojbjerg. We could do with another midfielder or two, we probably won't but will get away with it because of Ralph.

Poll: Would you like Ings to come back?

Is the squad stronger than the one that ended the season? on 16:08 - Sep 9 with 1822 viewssaint22

Is the squad stronger than the one that ended the season? on 15:07 - Sep 9 by SaintNick

Having the ability to compete all over the park is one thing, in this aspect I think we do have that ability, we are not Manchester City so we could always do with strengthening the side, but for where we are in the grand scheme of things I think we have a squad to compete.

The ability to cope is about being able to still put out a strong side should we have injuries and suspensions, from this point of view I think we might struggle if we had say Romue & Jwp both out at the same time, we have players who can slot in but it won't be as strong as it could be.

I disagree, cope and compete are two different things.
The way Romeu and JWP compete with how Slattery and Smallbone would cope is exponentially different and not good enough, unless of course second best is what you strive for
Is the squad stronger than the one that ended the season? on 16:40 - Sep 9 with 1805 viewskingslandstand1

Is the squad stronger than the one that ended the season? on 15:07 - Sep 9 by SaintNick

Have to say, I'm with 22 on this one to a degree. As has been said elsewhere, we do not have a great deal of strength in depth squad wise in the middle of the park

Obviously we do nit have the financial clout of the big boys, or even Wolves or Leicester which is where I'd like to think we could be ( ), but the likes of Smallbone etc are not that proven and may well make the grade and only time will tell.

But to establish ourselves as a regular top half or even mid table team we should have more genuine competition for places and not worry that if JWP/Romeu get injured we are not totally convinced that their replacements are up to standard which you are implying. Ok, you say not as strong as it could be, but I think it should be stronger that it will be

Just an opinion ................
Is the squad stronger than the one that ended the season? on 17:09 - Sep 9 with 1782 viewskernow

Not sure that the squad is any stronger.
Hopefully it's not any weaker.
Two good signings and no outgoings to be missed.
Consolidation and treading water spring to mind.
Injuries and suspensions to key players will be crucial to our competitiveness.
[Post edited 9 Sep 2020 17:10]
Is the squad stronger than the one that ended the season? on 17:48 - Sep 9 with 1760 viewsSaintsforeverj

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2020/sep/09/premier-league-2020-21-pre

Poll: Would you like Ings to come back?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024