Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Should the goverment Bail out the lower league clubs? 10:48 - Sep 28 with 3296 viewsButty101

I see there is an article on the BBC today with several "prominent" people calling for the government to step in. They say that that is not for the prem clubs to support the lower league.

I hope the government doesn't step in personally. Theres ridiculous amount's of money in the game that needs to be re-distrubuted. If clubs havent got income from gates, they should be covered by their insurance.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54322650

Poll: Has the Ross Stewart deal already paid off as Nick says?

Should the goverment Bail out the lower league clubs? on 11:29 - Sep 29 with 1043 viewsCity_boy

Should the goverment Bail out the lower league clubs? on 11:14 - Sep 29 by Bison

I think the problem is that almost all of a clubs revenue gets paid to a select band known as the players. I think someone quoted 220% of Readings FC's revenue goes on players wages so the thought that the government bailing out clubs just so they can pay the players is abhorrent to some. Like you I don't know the answer to this and would hate to see clubs go under perhaps the PFA might agree to a 50% wage cut until this is over ? I won't hold my breathe though as even the premiership players did not forego any wages they just deferred them a few months.

"In terms of average wages of the highest earning players across the clubs which responded, players in League One typically earn £4,753 a week, while this figure drops to £2,191 a week in League Two. The figures are basic salaries and do not include any bonuses or incentives.29 Apr 2020"
[Post edited 29 Sep 2020 11:29]

Good post and 100% agree.

This might be the catalyst that stops some of the obscene salaries being paid for average and young unproven players (mainly in premiership)

Football and the money in football has got out of control. A reality check had to happen.
[Post edited 29 Sep 2020 11:30]
Should the goverment Bail out the lower league clubs? on 13:03 - Sep 29 with 994 views130yrs_and_one_Cup

Should the goverment Bail out the lower league clubs? on 07:11 - Sep 29 by PatfromPoole

The reporter on Good Morning Britain at Fratton Park this morning just began his sentence with... “Small clubs like Portsmouth...”

If we can get money we deserve off big clubs like Man Utd, Arsenal and Leicester, then persuading that TV program to call us a small club will have been a worthwhile exercise. I also liked the use of the Milton End to enforce the image.

Poll: Is Southampton FC a big club. Where do they rank?

Should the goverment Bail out the lower league clubs? on 13:30 - Sep 29 with 980 viewsGennaro_Contaldo

I absolutely think that ALL football clubs should be helped out.

BUT I don't think it should be the government. There is enough bloody money in the game to keep clubs afloat a bit longer and this shows why the Sky / Premier League deal is such a load of crap.

Why should a premier league club get £130m+ for TV rights and yet lower leagues get a pittance. These clubs rely on match day income.

I don't know how much a club like QPR, or Portsmouth or Harrogate (just picking one from each league) need to survive, but I get the L1 and L2 clubs would probably need a couple million £ from additional sources.

There is enough money in the game and from TV rights to distribute that more fairly.

The premier league will argue no doubt that the "big clubs" will have the money to buy players from lower league clubs, but those days have pretty much gone as most players bought are from overseas.

So it needs to be more fair in terms of distrubution and shouldn't be on the government.

The UI; For the sophisticated gentleman
Poll: Where will Saints finish in the 2018/19 season

Should the goverment Bail out the lower league clubs? on 13:35 - Sep 29 with 974 viewsButty101

Should the goverment Bail out the lower league clubs? on 11:14 - Sep 29 by Bison

I think the problem is that almost all of a clubs revenue gets paid to a select band known as the players. I think someone quoted 220% of Readings FC's revenue goes on players wages so the thought that the government bailing out clubs just so they can pay the players is abhorrent to some. Like you I don't know the answer to this and would hate to see clubs go under perhaps the PFA might agree to a 50% wage cut until this is over ? I won't hold my breathe though as even the premiership players did not forego any wages they just deferred them a few months.

"In terms of average wages of the highest earning players across the clubs which responded, players in League One typically earn £4,753 a week, while this figure drops to £2,191 a week in League Two. The figures are basic salaries and do not include any bonuses or incentives.29 Apr 2020"
[Post edited 29 Sep 2020 11:29]

Thats insane, how can an average league one player be earning that much. They should probably earning in line with a tradesman. Ive never bought into this football is a short career. It is but then you move on to your next one.
Personally i think the bottom 2 leagues should probably be part time.

Should the goverment Bail out the lower league clubs? on 13:44 - Sep 29 with 955 views130yrs_and_one_Cup

Should the goverment Bail out the lower league clubs? on 13:30 - Sep 29 by Gennaro_Contaldo

BUT I don't think it should be the government. There is enough bloody money in the game to keep clubs afloat a bit longer and this shows why the Sky / Premier League deal is such a load of crap.

Why should a premier league club get £130m+ for TV rights and yet lower leagues get a pittance. These clubs rely on match day income.

I don't know how much a club like QPR, or Portsmouth or Harrogate (just picking one from each league) need to survive, but I get the L1 and L2 clubs would probably need a couple million £ from additional sources.

There is enough money in the game and from TV rights to distribute that more fairly.

The premier league will argue no doubt that the "big clubs" will have the money to buy players from lower league clubs, but those days have pretty much gone as most players bought are from overseas.

So it needs to be more fair in terms of distrubution and shouldn't be on the government.

I think the realisation from people who normally don't follow football that people like Gareth Bale are on 500-600k per week which is the amount some clubs are going bust for and closing down after 100 years or more of service to their local community is finally but slowly starting to dawn on the wider public.

The money in the top league is obscene, but it's also all the measures over the years that have hit the lower league clubs:

Gates used to be halved
PL broke away to get even more money
PL money now has a top 6 worldwide TV deal making the top league even less competitive
Lower league clubs used to feature on MOTD
Player tribunals are now rigged in favour of the PL clubs
PL clubs used to have a 90 minute travel window excluding them from access to smaller clubs catchments and young players

The money being held at the top is ruining the game. Our leagues used to be so much more competitive.

Poll: Is Southampton FC a big club. Where do they rank?

Should the goverment Bail out the lower league clubs? on 13:55 - Sep 29 with 961 viewsDorsetIan

Got to remember that when Jimmy Hill and the Player's Union managed to get the maximum wage abolished in 1961, there was a £20/week limit on what players could earn, pretty much keeping largely working class men in their place regardless of their talent.

We don't have wage caps in any other parts of society and there are plenty of people in the City, the Law, Accountancy, Entertainment and other sports also on multi-million pound annual incomes.

While the amounts involved do seem obscene, who but the players should be getting the money that is sloshing around at the top end of football? Denise Coates, the founder of Bet365 paid herself £323 million in 2018. Until there's a cap on her remuneration, the players can get whatever they can negotiate as far as I'm concerned.

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

Should the goverment Bail out the lower league clubs? on 13:57 - Sep 29 with 959 viewsSaintsforeverj

Should the goverment Bail out the lower league clubs? on 13:30 - Sep 29 by Gennaro_Contaldo

Totally agree. The PL clubs should be helping out their own industry for the good of football. There are so many options. If every player in the PL gave 10% of their wages, problem solved. Bale can survive on 450 000 pounds for one week. Aguero can survive on 250 000 pounds just for one week. There is so much money in the PL, that it is just rediculous to not ask Bale to only take home 450 000 pounds just for one week. Or each PL club gives 1 million each, at least. The alternative is that someone earning 20k a year, has to pay more tax, just so that Bale can keep his 500 000 a week. It's a no brainer for me.
[Post edited 29 Sep 2020 14:00]

Poll: Would you like Ings to come back?

Should the goverment Bail out the lower league clubs? on 14:52 - Sep 29 with 944 viewsChesham_Saint

Should the goverment Bail out the lower league clubs? on 13:57 - Sep 29 by Saintsforeverj

Totally agree. The PL clubs should be helping out their own industry for the good of football. There are so many options. If every player in the PL gave 10% of their wages, problem solved. Bale can survive on 450 000 pounds for one week. Aguero can survive on 250 000 pounds just for one week. There is so much money in the PL, that it is just rediculous to not ask Bale to only take home 450 000 pounds just for one week. Or each PL club gives 1 million each, at least. The alternative is that someone earning 20k a year, has to pay more tax, just so that Bale can keep his 500 000 a week. It's a no brainer for me.
[Post edited 29 Sep 2020 14:00]

A flat payment of £1m per club isn’t really fair as it would be petty cash for Man City, but meaningful for the likes of SFC, Burnley and Fulham.

A levy on transfers over say £5m Would be fairer (a bit like when Insurance Premium Tax was introduced a few years ago).

Poll: Which manager would you prefer Saints to have?

Login to get fewer ads

Should the goverment Bail out the lower league clubs? on 15:04 - Sep 29 with 942 viewsKennington

Many championship clubs and even league 1 are just as wasteful as premier league clubs. Not sure what the answer is though but I’m not convinced the premier league should be obliged to bail out other clubs. Ultimately far too much money goes to the players and even before covid the sustainability of many clubs was questionable. I reckon every club should really have at any given time two seasons running costs in the bank. As at the best of time football is very unpredictable.

Poll: What age is too old for a striker?

Should the goverment Bail out the lower league clubs? on 15:22 - Sep 29 with 928 viewsButty101

Should the goverment Bail out the lower league clubs? on 14:52 - Sep 29 by Chesham_Saint

A flat payment of £1m per club isn’t really fair as it would be petty cash for Man City, but meaningful for the likes of SFC, Burnley and Fulham.

A levy on transfers over say £5m Would be fairer (a bit like when Insurance Premium Tax was introduced a few years ago).

if you introduced a levyt, all that would happen is that the lower league players would get more.

Should the goverment Bail out the lower league clubs? on 15:27 - Sep 29 with 926 viewsSaintsforeverj

Should the goverment Bail out the lower league clubs? on 14:52 - Sep 29 by Chesham_Saint

The problem is, clubs just won't buy anyone for the time being if there is a levy. Perhaps they should give voluntary contributions, with pressure on the bigger clubs to give more.

But put it this way, 10 months down the line, with let's say 20 clubs gone bust (maybe more), will we all feel happy to give our money to the PL, just so that players can earn 100 grand a week, whilst lower league players lose theirs completely ?

Poll: Would you like Ings to come back?

Should the goverment Bail out the lower league clubs? on 17:51 - Sep 29 with 903 viewsSalisburySaint

The whole fans of lower league clubs in ground needs addressing

How can it be safer for fans to watch game in clubhouse at ground, than in the ground itself

https://www.wealdstone-fc.com/post/wealdstone-vs-chesterfield-live-screening

“On Saturday we kick off our National League campaign as we host Chesterfield at The Vale. Unfortunately this match will be played behind closed doors due to Covid-19 restrictions however live streaming is available to purchase via our website https://www.wealdstone-fc.com/live-stream

We are also delighted to announce that Wealdstone Supporters Club are hosting a live screening of the game at Ruislip Social Club (@TheVale_SC) Numbers will be limited due to social distancing and tickets are available to purchase online priced at £10 (reduced to £5 for season ticket holders) which includes a free beer, cider, wine or soft drink.

All windows and viewing access to the pitch will be closed off and stewarding will be in place to ensure no access to the ground. We ask everyone attending wear a face mask on arrival and when leaving their table at any point during the afternoon. Social distancing must be adhered to and table service will apply for drinks.”
[Post edited 29 Sep 2020 18:00]
Should the goverment Bail out the lower league clubs? on 18:06 - Sep 29 with 888 viewsChesham_Saint

Should the goverment Bail out the lower league clubs? on 15:27 - Sep 29 by Saintsforeverj

The problem is, clubs just won't buy anyone for the time being if there is a levy. Perhaps they should give voluntary contributions, with pressure on the bigger clubs to give more.

But put it this way, 10 months down the line, with let's say 20 clubs gone bust (maybe more), will we all feel happy to give our money to the PL, just so that players can earn 100 grand a week, whilst lower league players lose theirs completely ?

Pitch the levy at the right level and it won’t deter clubs like Liverpool and Man U etc; they already pay a shed load to parasitical agents...

Poll: Which manager would you prefer Saints to have?

Should the goverment Bail out the lower league clubs? on 18:09 - Sep 29 with 888 viewsdirk_doone

Should the goverment Bail out the lower league clubs? on 15:04 - Sep 29 by Kennington

Many championship clubs and even league 1 are just as wasteful as premier league clubs. Not sure what the answer is though but I’m not convinced the premier league should be obliged to bail out other clubs. Ultimately far too much money goes to the players and even before covid the sustainability of many clubs was questionable. I reckon every club should really have at any given time two seasons running costs in the bank. As at the best of time football is very unpredictable.

There are too many professional football clubs in this country. In other major football nations, the lower leagues are semi-professional or amateur. Many teams, both in this country and abroad, have shown that it's easy enough for teams to upgrade to professional status when they get promoted.

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Should the goverment Bail out the lower league clubs? on 18:52 - Sep 29 with 868 viewspjt50

Should the goverment Bail out the lower league clubs? on 13:35 - Sep 29 by Butty101

Thats insane, how can an average league one player be earning that much. They should probably earning in line with a tradesman. Ive never bought into this football is a short career. It is but then you move on to your next one.
Personally i think the bottom 2 leagues should probably be part time.

I don't think it's saying that.

They're taking the single highest earner from each club & calculating the average for those players. Maybe the high-earners are still on contracts from when the club was in a higher league. The vast majority of League One/Two players will earn much less than this.

From the same report:

"Not all can enjoy such riches. With the likes of Barnsley, Luton and Wigan in the second tier, there are huge disparities. One player is paid £13,000 for a year’s work in the Championship, and two in Leagues One and Two received just £7,800."

Not that I feel sorry for them, mind.

Poll: Where do you hope to see Salisu start (OK, I know we haven't seen him yet)?

Should the goverment Bail out the lower league clubs? on 23:00 - Sep 29 with 816 viewsButty101

Should the goverment Bail out the lower league clubs? on 13:03 - Sep 29 by 130yrs_and_one_Cup

If we can get money we deserve off big clubs like Man Utd, Arsenal and Leicester, then persuading that TV program to call us a small club will have been a worthwhile exercise. I also liked the use of the Milton End to enforce the image.

Hahahahahaha

TV company persuaded to call you a small club

Should the goverment Bail out the lower league clubs? on 14:20 - Sep 30 with 751 viewshedgeend61

Should the goverment Bail out the lower league clubs? on 13:03 - Sep 29 by 130yrs_and_one_Cup

Why do you deserve money off the big clubs?

Persuading , twisted Piers arm eh?, most people under 80 North of Leigh Park, would never even have heard of lower league Little Portsmuth FC.
Should the goverment Bail out the lower league clubs? on 20:16 - Oct 15 with 666 viewsdirk_doone

Should the goverment Bail out the lower league clubs? on 18:09 - Sep 29 by dirk_doone

There are too many professional football clubs in this country. In other major football nations, the lower leagues are semi-professional or amateur. Many teams, both in this country and abroad, have shown that it's easy enough for teams to upgrade to professional status when they get promoted.

If they are no longer viable as professional clubs, then they should become amateur or semi-professional, like lower league clubs in other countries:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54560148?at_custom3=Match+of+the+Day&at_cus

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Should the goverment Bail out the lower league clubs? on 20:51 - Oct 15 with 637 viewsBazza

Should the goverment Bail out the lower league clubs? on 20:16 - Oct 15 by dirk_doone

If they are no longer viable as professional clubs, then they should become amateur or semi-professional, like lower league clubs in other countries:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54560148?at_custom3=Match+of+the+Day&at_cus

Totally agree. Look at how geographically close some league clubs are in the north west for example. No wonder they find it hard to be financially viable. 70 odd clubs in England is way too many these days when there are so many other sports vying for people’s attention and money.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024