Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Should the goverment Bail out the lower league clubs? 10:48 - Sep 28 with 3265 viewsButty101

I see there is an article on the BBC today with several "prominent" people calling for the government to step in. They say that that is not for the prem clubs to support the lower league.

I hope the government doesn't step in personally. Theres ridiculous amount's of money in the game that needs to be re-distrubuted. If clubs havent got income from gates, they should be covered by their insurance.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54322650

Poll: Has the Ross Stewart deal already paid off as Nick says?

Should the goverment Bail out the lower league clubs? on 12:09 - Sep 28 with 2205 viewsChesham_Saint

For once a political question that has relevance to this site!

Something should be done although I don’t think by the Gov necessarily.

What all the “big” clubs need to understand is that without the pyramid football becomes almost meaningless, not just in terms of the league but the cups too. Some form of levy or contribution should be made by the Premier League at least....easier said than done however.

Poll: Which manager would you prefer Saints to have?

Should the goverment Bail out the lower league clubs? on 12:23 - Sep 28 with 2194 viewsPatfromPoole

They shouldn’t bail out clubs who have flagrantly avoided paying tax over the years.

Can’t think of anybody this might be an issue for.....

Poll: If we win a play-off semi at St. Mary’s should there be a pitch invasion?

Should the goverment Bail out the lower league clubs? on 14:41 - Sep 28 with 2148 viewsPoirot

It certainly shouldnt be down the PL either . Its a golden myth that its awash with money as all that and more goes into the players pockets.
Should the goverment Bail out the lower league clubs? on 14:47 - Sep 28 with 2141 viewsSadoldgit

Where do you draw the line? If you help small clubs then why not help all of the other small concerns that are affected financially by the Covid virus situation. I don’t think we want to see any football clubs fold, but then I don’t want my local to close, or the place I get my lunch from etc. It’s a very difficult situation and God knows how it can be remedied.
Should the goverment Bail out the lower league clubs? on 14:52 - Sep 28 with 2141 viewsSaintsforeverj

Should the goverment Bail out the lower league clubs? on 14:47 - Sep 28 by Sadoldgit

Where do you draw the line? If you help small clubs then why not help all of the other small concerns that are affected financially by the Covid virus situation. I don’t think we want to see any football clubs fold, but then I don’t want my local to close, or the place I get my lunch from etc. It’s a very difficult situation and God knows how it can be remedied.

Man City are buying a defender today for 68 million, just because they lost one game. Villa have spent over 100 million. Chelsea have spent over 200 million. Bale is on 500k a week. All this while lower league clubs go bust. You can't tell me that each PL club couldn't give 1milion each to spread across the football league.

And no, the government (meaning us, the tax payer) should not be helping, the PL should.
[Post edited 28 Sep 2020 14:56]

Poll: Would you like Ings to come back?

Should the goverment Bail out the lower league clubs? on 15:20 - Sep 28 with 2117 viewsSadoldgit

Should the goverment Bail out the lower league clubs? on 14:52 - Sep 28 by Saintsforeverj

Man City are buying a defender today for 68 million, just because they lost one game. Villa have spent over 100 million. Chelsea have spent over 200 million. Bale is on 500k a week. All this while lower league clubs go bust. You can't tell me that each PL club couldn't give 1milion each to spread across the football league.

And no, the government (meaning us, the tax payer) should not be helping, the PL should.

Fair point.
Should the goverment Bail out the lower league clubs? on 15:32 - Sep 28 with 2106 viewsChesham_Saint

Should the goverment Bail out the lower league clubs? on 14:52 - Sep 28 by Saintsforeverj

Exactly. Without other teams football is meaningless; it's like one hand trying to clap.

The PL could easily set aside some money - a levy on transfer fees for example, that way the big spenders like City would pay more than say, Saints (yay!).

Poll: Which manager would you prefer Saints to have?

Should the goverment Bail out the lower league clubs? on 15:40 - Sep 28 with 2103 viewsSaintsforeverj

Should the goverment Bail out the lower league clubs? on 15:32 - Sep 28 by Chesham_Saint

Exactly. Without other teams football is meaningless; it's like one hand trying to clap.

The PL could easily set aside some money - a levy on transfer fees for example, that way the big spenders like City would pay more than say, Saints (yay!).

That is the point. Why should the PL help? Well because British football with just one league taking place, would be be pointless. And the PL has the money, clearly from all that spending.

Login to get fewer ads

Should the goverment Bail out the lower league clubs? on 16:20 - Sep 28 with 2084 viewsBazza

Premier League could bring in a levy of say 10% on all transfer fees over £20m to provide a lower league fund, plus a levy on all salaries over say £50k a week.

To be provocative maybe our club structure is totally wrong to to be financially viable these days, there are 92 clubs (less 1 or 2) in England with country population of 53m or so. Is this simply too many to survive?
Check out how many are within 30 miles of Manchester plus the dozen or so in London.

In the USA here are just 32 top American football teams, and 30 top baseball teams (playing 162 games btw) with population of 330m.
All games are televised!
Should the goverment Bail out the lower league clubs? on 16:53 - Sep 28 with 2069 viewsWints76

Without knowing how the voting works at Premier League or Football League levels, is there a chance that Premier League Clubs could say 'OK, here's £xmillion, but there will be no relegation or promotion involving the Premier League this year'?

There's probably probably around 12/13 Premier League Clubs that would be happy with that, and only around 5/6 Championship clubs (maybe a few more) that would strongly oppose it
Should the goverment Bail out the lower league clubs? on 16:58 - Sep 28 with 2066 views1ASIN12

Football clubs should be entitled to any government scheme any other struggling businesses are entitled too as a result of Covid

As should premier league clubs help out , it’s difficult but it’s the players who are milking the TV bonanza rather then clubs themselves. ( and the agents) makes be they should look at themselves and realise if it was t for lower league clubs then some of them may not be the millionaires they are now.

Unfortunately I can see it going the other way and the likes of liverpool , Manchester City , Arsenal , Tottenham etc. Buying up lower league clubs and using them as feeder clubs ( the lower league clubs may have no choice and in the end the FA will allow it

After all Tesco don’t help out the local corner shop they open Tesco express instead ,
Should the goverment Bail out the lower league clubs? on 17:43 - Sep 28 with 2041 viewsSaintsforeverj

Should the goverment Bail out the lower league clubs? on 16:58 - Sep 28 by 1ASIN12

Football clubs should be entitled to any government scheme any other struggling businesses are entitled too as a result of Covid

As should premier league clubs help out , it’s difficult but it’s the players who are milking the TV bonanza rather then clubs themselves. ( and the agents) makes be they should look at themselves and realise if it was t for lower league clubs then some of them may not be the millionaires they are now.

Unfortunately I can see it going the other way and the likes of liverpool , Manchester City , Arsenal , Tottenham etc. Buying up lower league clubs and using them as feeder clubs ( the lower league clubs may have no choice and in the end the FA will allow it

After all Tesco don’t help out the local corner shop they open Tesco express instead ,

It's really simple. Every PL club gives a minimum of 1 million pounds from the TV money = football saved.

And morally, lower league clubs maybe entitled, but why should the tax payer pay, when Spurs pay Bale 500k a week? 1 million each = football saved.
[Post edited 28 Sep 2020 17:46]

Should the goverment Bail out the lower league clubs? on 18:09 - Sep 28 with 2016 viewsJaySaint

Should the goverment Bail out the lower league clubs? on 17:43 - Sep 28 by Saintsforeverj

It's really simple. Every PL club gives a minimum of 1 million pounds from the TV money = football saved.

And morally, lower league clubs maybe entitled, but why should the tax payer pay, when Spurs pay Bale 500k a week? 1 million each = football saved.
[Post edited 28 Sep 2020 17:46]

It won't be premier League clubs giving this money, it will be you and me.

The money given away will be generated from the public.

Poll: Who is responsible for Liverpool's defeat?

Should the goverment Bail out the lower league clubs? on 18:40 - Sep 28 with 2001 viewsButty101

Should the goverment Bail out the lower league clubs? on 18:09 - Sep 28 by JaySaint

It won't be premier League clubs giving this money, it will be you and me.

The money given away will be generated from the public.

My feelings are the government should not step. Football clubs are largely poorly run I was just reading that Readings wage bill is 220% of their turnover and are close to going bang.
If we are going to save football then what about my local night club etc etc

Should the goverment Bail out the lower league clubs? on 18:50 - Sep 28 with 1995 viewsSaintsforeverj

Should the goverment Bail out the lower league clubs? on 18:40 - Sep 28 by Butty101

My feelings are the government should not step. Football clubs are largely poorly run I was just reading that Readings wage bill is 220% of their turnover and are close to going bang.
If we are going to save football then what about my local night club etc etc

True - If the government helps football clubs, it should also help local clubs / businesses. But the PL should be saving its own industry so to speak - it can afford it.

Should the goverment Bail out the lower league clubs? on 20:28 - Sep 28 with 1952 viewskernow

Should the government bail out the lower league clubs?

No I don't think they should.
A part time National League player probably earns more in a week than I would in a month.
Should the goverment Bail out the lower league clubs? on 21:07 - Sep 28 with 1934 viewsSaintsforeverj

Should the goverment Bail out the lower league clubs? on 20:28 - Sep 28 by kernow

Should the government bail out the lower league clubs?

No I don't think they should.
A part time National League player probably earns more in a week than I would in a month.

Whereas PL players earn up to 500 thousand pounds a week. The greedy PL / players / agents should step up not the tax payer.
[Post edited 28 Sep 2020 21:13]

Should the goverment Bail out the lower league clubs? on 06:20 - Sep 29 with 1884 viewsPatfromPoole

Portsmouth’s Chief Exec was on Good Morning Britain just now, getting the begging bowl out to the Government. Oh, the irony....

Should the goverment Bail out the lower league clubs? on 07:11 - Sep 29 with 1866 viewsPatfromPoole

The reporter on Good Morning Britain at Fratton Park this morning just began his sentence with... “Small clubs like Portsmouth...”

Should the goverment Bail out the lower league clubs? on 08:05 - Sep 29 with 1847 viewsMessysaints

100% no...

normal ppl r losing jobs, with a low chance of finding a new one during covid... if football so full of money making millionairs weekly cant help its own then football deserves all it gets.

sounds harsh, but life is harsh
Should the goverment Bail out the lower league clubs? on 09:37 - Sep 29 with 1798 viewsDorsetIan

It would be nice to think that the PL could act unilaterally to support the lower league clubs but I'm not sure enlightened self-interest is going to do the trick here. Too many different financial interests involved from all over the world.

A very specific and short term 'football support levy' is probably what's needed with the govt imposing a tax on some aspect of the PL clubs or broadcasters, which is then distribute amongst the lower league clubs as specific grants. I'm not holding my breath.

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

Should the goverment Bail out the lower league clubs? on 09:49 - Sep 29 with 1785 viewsScoot

If the gvnt can bail out branson and the opera then why not lower league clubs. Its not the responsibility of the premiership, if anything its the FAs.

Poll: Should NJ go?

Should the goverment Bail out the lower league clubs? on 10:38 - Sep 29 with 1760 viewsButty101

Should the goverment Bail out the lower league clubs? on 07:11 - Sep 29 by PatfromPoole

The reporter on Good Morning Britain at Fratton Park this morning just began his sentence with... “Small clubs like Portsmouth...”

Did they mention the passion nipper and sleeping giant ?

Should the goverment Bail out the lower league clubs? on 11:06 - Sep 29 with 1751 viewsSadoldgit

The local village hall received a very large grant from the government earlier in the lockdown to help cover lost income - more so than they would make in 2 years. Needless to say it came as a very pleasant surprise and they have spent a large amount on essential maintainance work. However, it is a registered charity and all work re events is voluntary. Football clubs also offer a local service to communities but employ great numbers of people too. Many local services also rely on them for income. I haven’t got the answer, but one needs to be found. Perhaps local communities could organise fund raising events with further contributions from central Government and the Premier League and other interesting parties like Sky and BT?
Should the goverment Bail out the lower league clubs? on 11:14 - Sep 29 with 1746 viewsBison

Should the goverment Bail out the lower league clubs? on 11:06 - Sep 29 by Sadoldgit

The local village hall received a very large grant from the government earlier in the lockdown to help cover lost income - more so than they would make in 2 years. Needless to say it came as a very pleasant surprise and they have spent a large amount on essential maintainance work. However, it is a registered charity and all work re events is voluntary. Football clubs also offer a local service to communities but employ great numbers of people too. Many local services also rely on them for income. I haven’t got the answer, but one needs to be found. Perhaps local communities could organise fund raising events with further contributions from central Government and the Premier League and other interesting parties like Sky and BT?

I think the problem is that almost all of a clubs revenue gets paid to a select band known as the players. I think someone quoted 220% of Readings FC's revenue goes on players wages so the thought that the government bailing out clubs just so they can pay the players is abhorrent to some. Like you I don't know the answer to this and would hate to see clubs go under perhaps the PFA might agree to a 50% wage cut until this is over ? I won't hold my breathe though as even the premiership players did not forego any wages they just deferred them a few months.

"In terms of average wages of the highest earning players across the clubs which responded, players in League One typically earn £4,753 a week, while this figure drops to £2,191 a week in League Two. The figures are basic salaries and do not include any bonuses or incentives.29 Apr 2020"
[Post edited 29 Sep 2020 11:29]

Trust no one in a circus.
Poll: Who do you blame for saints not winning every game ?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024