Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Jannik the Great 17:23 - Oct 4 with 1785 viewsPatfromPoole

Solid again today.

Reckon we could sell him to United for £100 million tomorrow......

Poll: If we win a play-off semi at St. Mary’s should there be a pitch invasion?

Jannik the Great on 17:41 - Oct 4 with 1747 viewsSaintNick

At time of replying United might have the worst Premier League defeat ever if they are not careful

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Jannik the Great on 17:45 - Oct 4 with 1737 viewsChesham_Saint

Jannik the Great on 17:41 - Oct 4 by SaintNick

At time of replying United might have the worst Premier League defeat ever if they are not careful

It’s funny as hell. Man U getting dicked at home (even if it is by the NLYs).

Poll: Which manager would you prefer Saints to have?

Jannik the Great on 18:31 - Oct 4 with 1677 viewsInsideOut

If only ManU could find the money to buy the worlds most expensive defenders, their attack is top 6 but defence is barely second division :P

Poll: WTF is a little pompey ?

Jannik the Great on 22:49 - Oct 4 with 1502 viewsdirk_doone

Jannik the Great on 18:31 - Oct 4 by InsideOut

If only ManU could find the money to buy the worlds most expensive defenders, their attack is top 6 but defence is barely second division :P

Meanwhile, Jose Fonte is currently leading the best defence in Europe at Lille, top of the league, undefeated in 6 games with only 2 goals conceded, I bet they regret not signing him now.

The influence of Fonte on improving the game of his defensive partners is second to none: Lovren, Alderweireld, van Dijk, Gabriel and now Botman have all benefitted enormously from his leadership and, as we are seeing with Lovren and Alderweireld now, he even turned water into wine. Fonte is a shoe-in as the captain of my all-time best Saints XI and I have been going to Saints' games for nearly 60 years. He's up there with Paine, Channon and Le Tissier as one of our all-time greats.

[Post edited 4 Oct 2020 23:40]

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Jannik the Great on 23:43 - Oct 4 with 1452 viewsRon11

Jannik the Great on 22:49 - Oct 4 by dirk_doone

Meanwhile, Jose Fonte is currently leading the best defence in Europe at Lille, top of the league, undefeated in 6 games with only 2 goals conceded, I bet they regret not signing him now.

The influence of Fonte on improving the game of his defensive partners is second to none: Lovren, Alderweireld, van Dijk, Gabriel and now Botman have all benefitted enormously from his leadership and, as we are seeing with Lovren and Alderweireld now, he even turned water into wine. Fonte is a shoe-in as the captain of my all-time best Saints XI and I have been going to Saints' games for nearly 60 years. He's up there with Paine, Channon and Le Tissier as one of our all-time greats.

[Post edited 4 Oct 2020 23:40]

Yes, agree.
Pity he left under a bit of a cloud
Jannik the Great on 23:50 - Oct 4 with 1446 viewsdirk_doone

Jannik the Great on 23:43 - Oct 4 by Ron11

Yes, agree.
Pity he left under a bit of a cloud

Old Les/Our 2nd rate Delboy has a lot to answer for.

Jose Fonte was our classiest and in terms of major international trophies won - European Championship & Nations League - most successful player ever. If we'd had a couple more players like him, our position and Leicester's might have been reversed in 2016.

But, anyway, it would be great to see him end his career with a much-deserved league title.
[Post edited 4 Oct 2020 23:52]

Jannik the Great on 00:11 - Oct 5 with 1422 viewsChesham_Saint

That’s hindsight for you. For the last 2 years of his time with us he was getting constant criticism for his slowness and tendency to foul. He was poor at West Ham and now suddenly he’s an all time great.

I do agree that he was a terrific player for us, but I’d rank him behind Mark Wright, Dave Watson, Michael Svensson, Alderweireld and Van Dijk in Saints pantheon of great centre backs and not in my all time top 11 - not even on the bench.

Jannik the Great on 00:17 - Oct 5 with 1413 viewsdirk_doone

Jannik the Great on 00:11 - Oct 5 by Chesham_Saint

That’s hindsight for you. For the last 2 years of his time with us he was getting constant criticism for his slowness and tendency to foul. He was poor at West Ham and now suddenly he’s an all time great.

I do agree that he was a terrific player for us, but I’d rank him behind Mark Wright, Dave Watson, Michael Svensson, Alderweireld and Van Dijk in Saints pantheon of great centre backs and not in my all time top 11 - not even on the bench.

Well, in my opinion, you are wrong. For us, Fonte was the best of them all.

It's all about opinions but in my 60 years of watching Saints, I never saw a finer captain or central defender than Jose Fonte. He not only led our defence to our great finish in 2016 but also won the European Championship and Nations League with Portugal. No other Saints player has achieved as much in his time with us. Obviously, van Dijk is up there with the best in the game but the only other central defenders who could compare would be Mark Wright and Dave Watson and in their time with us they never garnered the major international trophies that Fonte did.

And if you asked any Lille fan right now, he'd probably say the same thing: he has been a stellar captain and an absolute superstar for them.

In my six decades of watching Saints, my best players would be: Paine, Channon, Shilton, Le Tissier, Mane, Shearer, Davies, van Dijk and Fonte. That's off the top of my head and I've probably overlooked a few others but my point is, he's up there with the best.
[Post edited 5 Oct 2020 10:52]

Login to get fewer ads

Jannik the Great on 00:54 - Oct 5 with 1384 viewsChesham_Saint

Jannik the Great on 00:17 - Oct 5 by dirk_doone

It's all about opinions but in my 60 years of watching Saints, I never saw a finer captain or central defender than Jose Fonte. He not only led our defence to our great finish in 2016 but also won the European Championship and Nations League with Portugal. No other Saints player has achieved as much in his time with us. Obviously, van Dijk is up there with the best in the game but the only other central defenders who could compare would be Mark Wright and Dave Watson and in their time with us they never garnered the major international trophies that Fonte did.

And if you asked any Lille fan right now, he'd probably say the same thing: he has been a stellar captain and an absolute superstar for them.

In my six decades of watching Saints, my best players would be: Paine, Channon, Shilton, Le Tissier, Mane, Shearer, Davies, van Dijk and Fonte. That's off the top of my head and I've probably overlooked a few others but my point is, he's up there with the best.

I can’t be wrong as there isn’t a “right answer” to this. You’re entitled to your opinion, as am I.

As for the best players you’ve seen whilst watching Saints:

I assume by Davies you mean Ron?

Mane was good but there were long periods when he did nothing Much and his performances have improved beyond recognition since he left us.

So you say no Keegan, no Alderweireld, no Niemi, no Mark Wright, no Steve Williams, no Mark Dennis, no Alan Ball and no Lambert?

Also, you seem to have glossed over the wide criticism Fonte was getting in his last two years?

[Post edited 5 Oct 2020 1:01]

Jannik the Great on 03:54 - Oct 5 with 1348 views1teeminants

Jannik the Great on 17:41 - Oct 4 by SaintNick

Liverpool got stuffed too I see . Happy days indeed .

Poll: Would you take an Fa Cup win if it meant relegation to the championship ?

Jannik the Great on 13:45 - Oct 5 with 1186 viewsSaintNick

Jannik the Great on 00:17 - Oct 5 by dirk_doone

Fonte was a good captain and a good organiser, but he was never the greatest centre half in terms of ability.

If you base it merely on trophies then Mel Blythe and Jim Steele were our two greatest central defenders.

Fonte deserves his acclaim, but he wasn't as good as Claus Lundekvam who did a similar job for a longer period.

Off the top of my head and I am leaving out the likes of Alderweireld and Lovren who were one season wonders, Chris Nicholl, Malcolm Waldron, Mark Wright, Dave Watson, Neil Ruddock, Dean Richards Richard Hall, Ken Monkou, Claus Lundekvam, perhaps even Michael Svensson , Russell Osma & Kevin Moore could all be considered above Fonte in terms of ability

Jannik the Great on 14:00 - Oct 5 with 1172 viewsdirk_doone

You must be joking! More than 40 caps for European champions Portugal would say otherwise and so would the only other Saints player to ever win a major international trophy:

https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/11744526.paine-jose-fonte-is-the-best-defender

And now, he's the best defender in the French league:

https://eurofantasyleague.com/news/2019/05/30/top-ligue-1-defenders-in-201819-jo

I'm surprised you couldn't see what footballers and football experts all over Europe saw, Saying that players like Waldron and Hall were better than him is ridiculous:

https://portugoal.net/selecao/137-future-of-portugal-s-defence
[Post edited 5 Oct 2020 14:17]

Jannik the Great on 14:19 - Oct 5 with 1135 viewsSaintNick

Jannik the Great on 14:00 - Oct 5 by dirk_doone

You must be joking! More than 40 caps for European champions Portugal would say otherwise and so would the only other Saints player to ever win a major international trophy:

https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/11744526.paine-jose-fonte-is-the-best-defender

https://eurofantasyleague.com/news/2019/05/30/top-ligue-1-defenders-in-201819-jo

I'm surprised you couldn't see what footballers and football experts all over Europe saw, Saying that players like Waldron and Hall were better than him is ridiculous:

Dirk the number of international caps is not the greatest barometer, and Terry Paine living in South Africa is not in the best position to judge, nor is Paine the only other Saints to win an International trophy surely Cedric Soares can also lay claim to that fact, he has played 33 times for Portugal not far off Fonte, yet you wont find many who will find that justification to declare him the greatest ever Saints right back.

Jose Fonte quite rightly should be considered a great player for Saints, but lets not overestimate how good he was when compared to others

Jannik the Great on 14:23 - Oct 5 with 1134 viewsButty101

Jannik the Great on 13:45 - Oct 5 by SaintNick

Fonte was a good captain and a good organiser, but he was never the greatest centre half in terms of ability.

If you base it merely on trophies then Mel Blythe and Jim Steele were our two greatest central defenders.

Fonte deserves his acclaim, but he wasn't as good as Claus Lundekvam who did a similar job for a longer period.

Off the top of my head and I am leaving out the likes of Alderweireld and Lovren who were one season wonders, Chris Nicholl, Malcolm Waldron, Mark Wright, Dave Watson, Neil Ruddock, Dean Richards Richard Hall, Ken Monkou, Claus Lundekvam, perhaps even Michael Svensson , Russell Osma & Kevin Moore could all be considered above Fonte in terms of ability

Nick you are looking at yesteryear through rose tintied glasses, if you think some of that list was better for Saints than Fonte.

Claus played half the time like he was asleep or more likely drunk!
Hall, Moore, Ruddock, Osman really? Super Ken looked good in a poor team. Richards i would have put on par with Fonte.
The others ididnt see play so cant comment

Poll: Has the Ross Stewart deal already paid off as Nick says?

Jannik the Great on 14:24 - Oct 5 with 1133 viewsChesham_Saint

Jannik the Great on 14:00 - Oct 5 by dirk_doone

You keep banging on about the French league when, aside from PSG, the standard is way below that of the English league. For a player of his age to do so well there says as much about the standard of football there as it does Fonte.

As for him being part of a team that won the European Championship that’s irrelevant. Greece won it not so long ago and I bet you can’t name even one of their players who would be better than, say, Lundekvam.

Cedric was also part of that Portuguese team and would you say he was one of Saints’ beat ever players?

Jannik the Great on 14:28 - Oct 5 with 1130 viewsSaintNick

Jannik the Great on 14:23 - Oct 5 by Butty101

Nick you are looking at yesteryear through rose tintied glasses, if you think some of that list was better for Saints than Fonte.

Claus played half the time like he was asleep or more likely drunk!
Hall, Moore, Ruddock, Osman really? Super Ken looked good in a poor team. Richards i would have put on par with Fonte.
The others ididnt see play so cant comment

I was just making suggestions, I was trying to mix loyalty and quality, Moore was a good servant but more about workrate than quality, but then again so was Kevin Keegan.

Ruddock was truly a decent defender when at Saints hence Spurs wanting him and then Liverpool a year later, likewise Richard hall

Jannik the Great on 14:37 - Oct 5 with 1120 views1teeminants

Jannik the Great on 13:45 - Oct 5 by SaintNick

IMO The best centre half’s I’ve seen playing for saints in terms of ability and reading the game are

1. Virgil Van Dijk
2. Mark Wright
3. Michael Svensson
4. Toby Alderweireld
5. Ken Monkou
6. Dave Watson
7. Chris Nichol
7. Dean Richards

Poll: Would you take an Fa Cup win if it meant relegation to the championship ?

Jannik the Great on 14:42 - Oct 5 with 1111 viewsChesham_Saint

Jannik the Great on 14:37 - Oct 5 by 1teeminants

IMO The best centre half’s I’ve seen playing for saints in terms of ability and reading the game are

1. Virgil Van Dijk
2. Mark Wright
3. Michael Svensson
4. Toby Alderweireld
5. Ken Monkou
6. Dave Watson
7. Chris Nichol
7. Dean Richards

Good call with Monkou and Richards. Both excellent for us.

Jannik the Great on 14:47 - Oct 5 with 1109 viewsGennaro_Contaldo

Jannik the Great on 14:37 - Oct 5 by 1teeminants

1. Virgil Van Dijk
2. Mark Wright
3. Michael Svensson
4. Toby Alderweireld
5. Ken Monkou
6. Dave Watson
7. Chris Nichol
7. Dean Richards

Swap Richards and Monkou around and I'd agree.

The UI; For the sophisticated gentleman
Poll: Where will Saints finish in the 2018/19 season

Jannik the Great on 16:52 - Oct 5 with 1071 viewsBerber

The main difference between PL and Championship sides other than in a one off head to head, is that PL teams play better, more consistently, and can afford to get the really talented players who can make a difference. Our CB's are just not consistent enough, it's usually a question of how many mistakes and will they get punished? JB is probably mid point PL quality over a season, and JS and JV are bottom half of the PL standard over a season.

Leadership in defence is a problem, and I was pleased to hear Romeu saying JV was screaming at him to get back (even though he chose to go in and score instead ).
Jannik the Great on 18:14 - Oct 5 with 1024 viewsChesham_Saint

Jannik the Great on 16:52 - Oct 5 by Berber

The main difference between PL and Championship sides other than in a one off head to head, is that PL teams play better, more consistently, and can afford to get the really talented players who can make a difference. Our CB's are just not consistent enough, it's usually a question of how many mistakes and will they get punished? JB is probably mid point PL quality over a season, and JS and JV are bottom half of the PL standard over a season.

Leadership in defence is a problem, and I was pleased to hear Romeu saying JV was screaming at him to get back (even though he chose to go in and score instead ).

If you ever look on other sides’ fan sites this whole CB issue seems to be pretty much universal. Saints are anything but unique in this regard.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024