Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What do you all think about....... 21:53 - Nov 8 with 942 viewsA1079

high profile managers of so called "top clubs" making a protest and call regarding what they perceive as fixture congestion, unfair scheduling, and the recalling of 5 substitutions? Do they have a point or is this a case of an "elite few" trying to call the shots again?

My personal instinct is here is the same clubs trying to dictate the agenda just as they tried on the reduction of the league and then on some European league. But, if I take off my Southampton FC glasses do they have a point ? I am struggling to see it, because like most PL clubs they have a squad of 25 players (or whatever it is) and no one says they have to pick the same 11 for every game. With success comes more games - they moan if they don't have success and then when they have it, they moan about the number of games. On the 5 subs thing that was a temporary measure for the restart last season. We are not in a restart and will the 5 subs thing merely just benefit those with the larger quality squads?

Where I do think there is a valid point are the International fixtures. During the last round of internationals and then this one coming up why have the FA added a friendly in which no one wants to risk playing in? New Zealand was cancelled so they have added Ireland in, but why and to what point?

I just thought I would see what some of you fellow forum followers think. I am not sure whether my attitude is one that is stuck in the past and out of touch which I concede is quite possible.
What do you all think about....... on 22:17 - Nov 8 with 901 viewsSadoldgit

5 subs is great if you can afford the transfers fees and wages to have a top quality bench. Fixture congestion is a pain but given that the top clubs are happy to fly their teams half way round the world to play lucrative friendlies, here’s a thought, don’t do it. The big clubs have the resources to deal with these problems. Clubs like us don’t. Look at the number of matches the EPL clubs play. 2 a week every week isn’t it?
What do you all think about....... on 15:55 - Nov 9 with 751 viewsBazza

Some critic (Danny Murphy?) said that the recent losses experienced by the top clubs was due the fixture congestion etc. Could it just be that, without big 6 home crowds influencing the refs (and discouraging away teams) that the results are fairer and a true reflexion of ability?
COYS
What do you all think about....... on 16:27 - Nov 9 with 739 viewsChesham_Saint

Covid aside, we should perhaps look at the American model. I’m not talking about Yank owners here and am not remotely interested in their shite version of “football” as a game, but rather the attempts they make to level up the competition by giving the worst team first pick of the new recruits (or whatever they call it).

Our authorities just seem hell bent on doing what they can to assist the ‘big 6’. In short, 5 subs? No.

Poll: Which manager would you prefer Saints to have?

What do you all think about....... on 16:32 - Nov 9 with 739 viewsBicester_North

What do you all think about....... on 15:55 - Nov 9 by Bazza

Some critic (Danny Murphy?) said that the recent losses experienced by the top clubs was due the fixture congestion etc. Could it just be that, without big 6 home crowds influencing the refs (and discouraging away teams) that the results are fairer and a true reflexion of ability?
COYS

I can’t see how many of the crowds could influence a team in a good way, most of the big clubs have a ground half full of tourists and only a hardcore of fans that really get behind the team vocally. where is the atmosphere any good in the premier league now?

Certainly none of the big 6 spring to mind.

Poll: Who do you feel most sorry for

What do you all think about....... on 16:48 - Nov 9 with 723 viewsSadoldgit

I know the game has changed a lot but at least they no longer play on ploughed fields. I wonder how Klopp would have managed back then with 1 sub? 3 is plenty enough. 5 is half the team!
What do you all think about....... on 17:47 - Nov 9 with 691 viewskingslandstand1

Why is it only the "big clubs" whinging? Because they aren't dominating in the way they have in the past and maybe a more level playing field. As has been said they have a 25 man squad so that they can adapt to suit their fixture list. Christ they're allowed 7 players on the bench now so have a decent bench to cover all positions
This is yet another way to let the big boys have more control and should not be allowed. Manage your substitutions, that's what you're paid for. It has been rejected once already. Accept it
What do you all think about....... on 18:16 - Nov 9 with 664 viewssaint22

What do you all think about....... on 16:27 - Nov 9 by Chesham_Saint

Covid aside, we should perhaps look at the American model. I’m not talking about Yank owners here and am not remotely interested in their shite version of “football” as a game, but rather the attempts they make to level up the competition by giving the worst team first pick of the new recruits (or whatever they call it).

Our authorities just seem hell bent on doing what they can to assist the ‘big 6’. In short, 5 subs? No.

the draft is a good idea & would level the field here somewhat, as you know those 'big' clubs won't go for it.....!
What do you all think about....... on 18:42 - Nov 9 with 640 viewsgreen

I can't find the article now but I'm fairly sure we had the least amount of average rest last Xmas but didn't make a fuss.

Clubs voted on this, it was rejected, can't just change mid-season and keep voting until you get the answer you want (where have we heard that before?)
Login to get fewer ads

What do you all think about....... on 04:09 - Nov 10 with 556 viewsScoot

What do you all think about....... on 16:27 - Nov 9 by Chesham_Saint

The US doesn't have an academy system like us. We get kids in at a young age and nurture them. In the states they come through the college education system. I can't see how it would work? Our game is international. Grid Iron is only played by meat head yanks that can run. Soon as they play team games that other countries play they get beat (ice hockey, Canada and Russia) They even get beat at baseball by the Chinese nowadays. And we're starting to catch up on Grid Iron.

What I will say is it does balance the teams in their leagues.

Poll: Should NJ go?

What do you all think about....... on 12:18 - Nov 10 with 476 viewsChesham_Saint

What do you all think about....... on 04:09 - Nov 10 by Scoot

The US doesn't have an academy system like us. We get kids in at a young age and nurture them. In the states they come through the college education system. I can't see how it would work? Our game is international. Grid Iron is only played by meat head yanks that can run. Soon as they play team games that other countries play they get beat (ice hockey, Canada and Russia) They even get beat at baseball by the Chinese nowadays. And we're starting to catch up on Grid Iron.

What I will say is it does balance the teams in their leagues.

My point was that it’s not that a draft is the solution, it’s the effort the US make to level up the teams a bit to keep it competitive and therefore interesting,

The FA etc seem to favour Manu and Liverpool and the rest as if it’s somehow for the common good of all other clubs, when plainly it isn’t. Rather, it’s just the greed of the Arsenal’s of this world who think they have a god given right to be at the top, whereas Palace say, should always remain an also ran to be plundered as they see fit.

Poll: Which manager would you prefer Saints to have?

What do you all think about....... on 18:18 - Nov 10 with 439 viewsdirk_doone

International fixtures are much more congested this season so, a bit like in County Championship cricket, the top team could well be the strongest one least affected by international call-ups and European competitions.

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024