Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Berlin 1945 23:14 - Nov 9 with 633 viewsA1079

I appreciate not football related, but just watched 1 of 3 episodes (over tonight and next 2 nights on BBC4) on Berlin 1945 with graphic real accounts and footage from citizens, forced labour, soldiers and Jews that had hidden underground in fear for years of a city collapsing with the onset of the Russians.

It is amazing to see that despite the hopelessness of it all how many seemed to still believe that it was worth fighting right to the end.

If, like me, you find the 2nd World War and not just the battles etc but what made people behave the way they did and do the things that they did interesting then you will find this footage engrossing.
Berlin 1945 on 23:17 - Nov 9 with 624 viewsBicester_North

Cheers A1079, will definitely give that a watch

Poll: Who do you feel most sorry for

Berlin 1945 on 08:13 - Nov 10 with 520 viewskingslandstand1

I watched it also. Fascinating filming and as you say, they believed right to the end. The rows of bodies in the rubble and people walking up and down to see if they recognised anyone as well as the diary recollections

Ironic to a degree how it followed on from Robert Rinder (can't stand his TV character, but this wasn't that) tracing family survivors and non-survivors from the Holocaust on BBC1 so both sides of the fence

Have done series reminder for both programmes
Berlin 1945 on 08:21 - Nov 10 with 507 viewsWints76

Have hopefully set a series link. Am on leave next week and am building up all sorts to watch as I cant do much else! The story of everyday people in WWII fascinates me. The IWM has an exhibition about it which I have visited several times. I dont care so much about the battles or tactics, but life on the home front on both sides really interests me.

Am currently reading a book called Auntie's War which is the story of the BBC and what it did during the war
Berlin 1945 on 10:46 - Nov 10 with 462 viewsPaleRider

Thanks A1079.

I find the pre-war German history fascinating as well. In many ways the answer as to why they kept on fighting to the end lies in the indoctrination the German people had been receiving from the 1930's onwards (particularly the children who went on the be Hitler Jugend then went on to be soldiers etc.).

A fascinating period and a reminder that there but for the grace of God....
Berlin 1945 on 10:47 - Nov 10 with 461 viewsA1079

Berlin 1945 on 08:13 - Nov 10 by kingslandstand1

I watched it also. Fascinating filming and as you say, they believed right to the end. The rows of bodies in the rubble and people walking up and down to see if they recognised anyone as well as the diary recollections

Ironic to a degree how it followed on from Robert Rinder (can't stand his TV character, but this wasn't that) tracing family survivors and non-survivors from the Holocaust on BBC1 so both sides of the fence

Have done series reminder for both programmes

Likewise Kingslandstand, I watched the Rob Rinder programme and like you, I struggle with his TV persona but this was an interesting watch and another take on things of that time. I particularly found the sisters of the Dutch background and the guy in Frankfurt quite insightful.
Berlin 1945 on 13:02 - Nov 10 with 433 viewsChesham_Saint

Berlin 1945 on 10:46 - Nov 10 by PaleRider

Thanks A1079.

I find the pre-war German history fascinating as well. In many ways the answer as to why they kept on fighting to the end lies in the indoctrination the German people had been receiving from the 1930's onwards (particularly the children who went on the be Hitler Jugend then went on to be soldiers etc.).

A fascinating period and a reminder that there but for the grace of God....

What is equally fascinating is how Japanese forces went from being the most friendly and welcoming for a captured prisoner in WW1, to monstrous, uncaring beasts in just a few short years.

Poll: Which manager would you prefer Saints to have?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024