Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Neil Maddison 00:59 - Nov 22 with 2351 viewscotswoldsaint

Saints midfielder from early 90's, I think he came up through the Academy and was a Geordie pal of Shearer (best man at his wedding even?)

I never saw 'Maddo' play a bad game for Saints, tough, insightful, like Benali wore his heart on his sleeve. Yet he was shipped off to Middlesboro where he did even better an was tipped for England when he was there.

What happened?
Neil Maddison on 03:51 - Nov 22 with 2317 viewsdirk_doone

He was never a regular at Middlesbrough and nearly half of his appearances there were as a substitute. They loaned him out to Barnsley and Bristol City and finally got rid of him on a free transfer to Darlington, where he played for the next 7 years.

http://www.sporting-heroes.net/football/middlesbrough-fc/neil-maddison-9200/leag
[Post edited 22 Nov 2020 9:21]

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Neil Maddison on 10:08 - Nov 22 with 2150 viewsChesham_Saint

Yes he was a good player with lots of potential and it was disappointing when he left. I think he’s something to do with Grimsby now...

Poll: Which manager would you prefer Saints to have?

Neil Maddison on 10:19 - Nov 22 with 2136 viewsSaintNick

Neil Maddison on 10:08 - Nov 22 by Chesham_Saint

Yes he was a good player with lots of potential and it was disappointing when he left. I think he’s something to do with Grimsby now...

He was a good player for Saints, a bad injury halted his progress a little early on, but he started 151 League games for Saints plus another 21 as sub and 20 goals was a good return.

He left October 97 shortly after Dave Jones became manager, Jones wanted a bit of a clear out of established players, out went Maddison after the likes of Carlton Palmer and Kevin Richardson had been signed, we also had Le Tiss, Matt Oakley, David Hughes and Robbie Slater battling for midfield places, it was clear that Jones wanted the likes of Maddison, Benali etc out of the club.

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Neil Maddison on 10:22 - Nov 22 with 2131 viewsdirk_doone

Neil Maddison on 10:08 - Nov 22 by Chesham_Saint

He had 3 solid years as a player under Branfoot and Ball: 1992-95 and scored a few goals from headers. Then he fell down the pecking order. He was generally well liked by the players and fans. He's had various coaching jobs at Darlington and now does the equivalent of Dave Merrington's job as a BBC Radio Tyne Tees pundit for Middlesbrough games.

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Neil Maddison on 15:13 - Nov 22 with 1989 viewsTripleNiemi

Neil Maddison on 10:19 - Nov 22 by SaintNick

He was a good player for Saints, a bad injury halted his progress a little early on, but he started 151 League games for Saints plus another 21 as sub and 20 goals was a good return.

He left October 97 shortly after Dave Jones became manager, Jones wanted a bit of a clear out of established players, out went Maddison after the likes of Carlton Palmer and Kevin Richardson had been signed, we also had Le Tiss, Matt Oakley, David Hughes and Robbie Slater battling for midfield places, it was clear that Jones wanted the likes of Maddison, Benali etc out of the club.

To this day i am not 100% sure as to whether Dave Jones did a reasonable job or not. Downsides (only my opinion) but i didn't like the way he dropped what i thought was the better keeper in order to bring in his namesake who, whilst a decent shot stopper was poor at all other aspects of his game....i.e. communication, kicking, aerial ability etc. etc.

Thought signing Carlton Palmer was dubious, but that first season he did a fantastic job and i always liked David Hurst although was a bit of an Anderton sick note type. Whilst Dave Jones kept us up, it was clear to see what a decent manager could do with the same limited resources, i.e. Hoddle. Mind you the signing of Pahars was a stroke of genius.
[Post edited 22 Nov 2020 15:19]

Ready and waiting to mop up those European places......

Neil Maddison on 15:31 - Nov 22 with 1972 viewsSaintsforeverj

Neil Maddison on 15:13 - Nov 22 by TripleNiemi

To this day i am not 100% sure as to whether Dave Jones did a reasonable job or not. Downsides (only my opinion) but i didn't like the way he dropped what i thought was the better keeper in order to bring in his namesake who, whilst a decent shot stopper was poor at all other aspects of his game....i.e. communication, kicking, aerial ability etc. etc.

Thought signing Carlton Palmer was dubious, but that first season he did a fantastic job and i always liked David Hurst although was a bit of an Anderton sick note type. Whilst Dave Jones kept us up, it was clear to see what a decent manager could do with the same limited resources, i.e. Hoddle. Mind you the signing of Pahars was a stroke of genius.
[Post edited 22 Nov 2020 15:19]

Dave Jones did a reasonable job. David Hurst scored a couple away at Liverpool in a great win I think. We had that 3 3 game at away at Man U too. The 2 nil at Dellhurst Park was a highlight at Wimbledon and was a great day, then the great escape against Everton. I don't think he dealt with Le Tissier very well though. Overall, nothing special, he just did ok I think. He signed Pahars and didn't he sign Beattie as well?
[Post edited 22 Nov 2020 15:32]

Poll: Would you like Ings to come back?

Neil Maddison on 15:57 - Nov 22 with 1944 viewsJaySaint

I went to that league cup game at the Dell when his Stockport side knocked us out.
we were terrible.

He did the job when he came in. Hoddle however, was an obvious stop up

Poll: Who is responsible for Liverpool's defeat?

Neil Maddison on 16:00 - Nov 22 with 1943 viewsSaintsforeverj

Neil Maddison on 15:57 - Nov 22 by JaySaint

I went to that league cup game at the Dell when his Stockport side knocked us out.
we were terrible.

He did the job when he came in. Hoddle however, was an obvious stop up

That night was such a disappointment. The semi finals was the reward. Typical Saints, we threw away a great chance of a cup. Souness was manager wasn't he. Remember it well. That small pocket of Stockport fans celebrating outside the Archers Road end near their coaches.
[Post edited 22 Nov 2020 16:01]

Login to get fewer ads

Neil Maddison on 18:48 - Nov 22 with 1863 viewsChesham_Saint

Neil Maddison on 15:31 - Nov 22 by Saintsforeverj

Dave Jones did a reasonable job. David Hurst scored a couple away at Liverpool in a great win I think. We had that 3 3 game at away at Man U too. The 2 nil at Dellhurst Park was a highlight at Wimbledon and was a great day, then the great escape against Everton. I don't think he dealt with Le Tissier very well though. Overall, nothing special, he just did ok I think. He signed Pahars and didn't he sign Beattie as well?
[Post edited 22 Nov 2020 15:32]

Dave Jones did ok-ish I'd say, but didn't he also bring in Graham Potter and, surely the smallest player ever to don as Saints shirt, Lee Todd (I guess we were going for the vat saving on his strip?)? As for Paul Jones, he was good but really no better than Maik Taylor who actually was/is a Southampton fan and could have gone on to be something of a legend.

I remember going to a pub near Selhurst after the game for a soiree organized by London Saints. Most of the team (including Jones) turned up for the annual awards ceremony.
Most players engaged with the fans, but Mark Hughes in particular sat sullenly in a corner (and what a dour, superior, cvnt he is) whilst Jones was mono-syllabic and very unimpressive. That said, the way his career ended with Saints was tragic.

Poll: Which manager would you prefer Saints to have?

Neil Maddison on 18:54 - Nov 22 with 1857 viewsSaintsforeverj

Neil Maddison on 18:48 - Nov 22 by Chesham_Saint

Dave Jones did ok-ish I'd say, but didn't he also bring in Graham Potter and, surely the smallest player ever to don as Saints shirt, Lee Todd (I guess we were going for the vat saving on his strip?)? As for Paul Jones, he was good but really no better than Maik Taylor who actually was/is a Southampton fan and could have gone on to be something of a legend.

I remember going to a pub near Selhurst after the game for a soiree organized by London Saints. Most of the team (including Jones) turned up for the annual awards ceremony.
Most players engaged with the fans, but Mark Hughes in particular sat sullenly in a corner (and what a dour, superior, cvnt he is) whilst Jones was mono-syllabic and very unimpressive. That said, the way his career ended with Saints was tragic.

Yep, a certain Lee Todd was so small, the opposition just lobbed it over the top of him! At a game at the Dell, he got subbed after about 30 minutes if I remember rightly. And yeah I remember wondering why an earth he brought in Paul Jones from Stockport, when we had a good goalkeeper already. Likewise, Lee Tood. I remember thinking he just brought them to the PL because they were his mates.
[Post edited 22 Nov 2020 19:06]

Neil Maddison on 13:20 - Nov 23 with 1703 viewsfranniesTache

Neil Maddison on 18:54 - Nov 22 by Saintsforeverj

Yep, a certain Lee Todd was so small, the opposition just lobbed it over the top of him! At a game at the Dell, he got subbed after about 30 minutes if I remember rightly. And yeah I remember wondering why an earth he brought in Paul Jones from Stockport, when we had a good goalkeeper already. Likewise, Lee Tood. I remember thinking he just brought them to the PL because they were his mates.
[Post edited 22 Nov 2020 19:06]

Lee Todd is hands down the worst player i've seen play for Saints in the over 40 years of watching us. It wasn't just that he was small he was also completely inept as a football and so far out of his league that i can actually remember a player taking pity on him DURING a game (Arsenal away i think) and putting his arm around him after he'd skinned him again.

I know everyone loves to bring up Ali Dia but Lee Todd was worse by a considerable measure, and the fact he played so many games was bordering on negligence by the club.
Neil Maddison on 13:58 - Nov 23 with 1681 viewscotswoldsaint

Neil Maddison on 13:20 - Nov 23 by franniesTache

Lee Todd is hands down the worst player i've seen play for Saints in the over 40 years of watching us. It wasn't just that he was small he was also completely inept as a football and so far out of his league that i can actually remember a player taking pity on him DURING a game (Arsenal away i think) and putting his arm around him after he'd skinned him again.

I know everyone loves to bring up Ali Dia but Lee Todd was worse by a considerable measure, and the fact he played so many games was bordering on negligence by the club.

It WAS the Arsenal game as I remember Pat Murphy's report on BBC radio after the match. commenting how the 'marauding Gunners' had taken the hapless Southampton defence apart, no small wonder he said '...with a back four consisting as it did of a Dodd, a Todd, and a couple of Plods'
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024