Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Christmas Carnage? 13:11 - Dec 18 with 30606 viewsSadoldgit

Infection rates are generally rising fast despite the tier systems so you can imagine the spike after the free for all Christmas period. Johnson obviously doesn’t want to be seen as a Grinch but by not closing down Christmas there will be a lot fewer people enjoying it with their loved ones next year.
We are battening down the hatches this Christmas. I just hope that people are sensible and do the same. Sadly though I think people will just go for it and be damned.
Christmas Carnage? on 13:27 - Dec 18 with 5240 viewsSaintsforeverj

We are doing zoom present opening with grand parents this year as they are over 70. I agree, I hope others can be sensible too. The problem the government has with this, is that I think some people will meet with others whether it's illegal or not. Making family gatherings illegal, then puts a duty on the police to uphold the law, and they will have to go into houses to break up Christmas dinners. This would leave a bad moral taste in the mouth on Christmas day. So I can see why Boris hasn't made this illegal.

But infection rates will increase and will be back to lockdown in January, I would think. I think this is probably inevitable whether we have Christmas or not, so I get they are at least letting people enjoy Christmas. Bit as you say, I hope people are sensible. We are seeing a couple of friends, socially distanced who are all under 50. But we certainly won't be going anywhere near the grand parents.
[Post edited 18 Dec 2020 13:28]

Poll: Would you like Ings to come back?

Christmas Carnage? on 13:36 - Dec 18 with 5230 viewsKennington

Thing about the Christmas relaxation that gets me is just because the government says it’s legal doesn’t mean you have to do it. There are plenty of things that are legal but aren’t a good idea. For example you can go and walk through a Brixton housing estate at night flashing your new phone or down a bottle of whisky for breakfast, but no ones saying they’re great ideas. There’s a difference between something being legal and something you should do. I just think compared to say the Swedish who broadly have more relaxed rules but follow common sense that the British are a nation of morons. And morons that are far too easily led by the media.

Poll: What age is too old for a striker?

Christmas Carnage? on 13:42 - Dec 18 with 5228 viewsSaintsforeverj

Christmas Carnage? on 13:36 - Dec 18 by Kennington

Thing about the Christmas relaxation that gets me is just because the government says it’s legal doesn’t mean you have to do it. There are plenty of things that are legal but aren’t a good idea. For example you can go and walk through a Brixton housing estate at night flashing your new phone or down a bottle of whisky for breakfast, but no ones saying they’re great ideas. There’s a difference between something being legal and something you should do. I just think compared to say the Swedish who broadly have more relaxed rules but follow common sense that the British are a nation of morons. And morons that are far too easily led by the media.

Totally agree. As Professor Whitty said, it's legal to travel on the motorway at 70 miles an hour, even if it's icy, but we know you shouldn't do it! The British people need to stop relying on the government to tell them how to live their lives, we all know we should keep our distance and stay away from people over 60. The problem is and has been, people doing what they want regardless.

Christmas Carnage? on 17:28 - Dec 18 with 5116 viewsSadoldgit

I agree that it would be excellent if common sense prevailed, but when has a large element of the British public displayed any? We are as strong as the weakest link and that link comprises of people who don’t conform to the safety measures.
Christmas Carnage? on 19:48 - Dec 18 with 5036 viewssaint22

Christmas Carnage? on 17:28 - Dec 18 by Sadoldgit

I agree that it would be excellent if common sense prevailed, but when has a large element of the British public displayed any? We are as strong as the weakest link and that link comprises of people who don’t conform to the safety measures.

The problem is the leadership or lack of! These rules are constantly reactive and not proactive
Why close pubs and restaurants but leave shops open? Why move people into tier 3 then let everyone wander around Willy nilly for 5 days 4 days later? It’s all acting like the virus is listening
They should have never lifted the lockdown and people should have been wearing masks since April but BoJo and his ship of fools just keep stumbling along for one disaster to another oh and then there is Brexit? Think this situation looks bad now, just wait a while.......
Christmas Carnage? on 20:53 - Dec 18 with 4992 views1885_SFC

On the Brexit issue; we do have some support...

Old School is Cool

Christmas Carnage? on 21:04 - Dec 18 with 4981 viewsCity_boy

The decision to have 5 days relaxation of rules over xmas was taken too early.

I understand this year has been tough, and many have not seen loved ones for a long time, but 2 days (instead of 5) would have been a reasonable compromise. 5 days is just asking for more trouble at a time when Covid is spreading faster than ever.

Just hoping common sense prevails- but I fear the worst in January, when we start seeing the impact from xmas.
Christmas Carnage? on 09:21 - Dec 19 with 4831 viewsRon11

Christmas Carnage? on 17:28 - Dec 18 by Sadoldgit

One of the problems seem to be that these rules are made but there's absolutely no enforcement despite people's stupidity...a friend has just been in Dubai - masks to be worn at all times, if caught not wearing one it's a $1000 fine on the spot. No pay, banged up.
Login to get fewer ads

Christmas Carnage? on 10:42 - Dec 19 with 4801 viewsSadoldgit

It sounds like we are being prepared for another national lockdown in the New Year. Too little too late really. Some families will end up paying a high price.
Christmas Carnage? on 11:03 - Dec 19 with 4792 viewsthissceptredsaint

We have the highest number of excess deaths in Europe and the highest number of admitted deaths from Covid. This government cares more about dishing out profit opportunities to their mates than being a responsible government fulfilling its basic duty to protect its people. It could have done that from the start but no. We have psychopaths in power and idiots making excuses for them.The amount of money, billions wasted and corruptly given to phonies and incompetents that are mates of Conservative ministers, it makes Blair and his 'lets chuck a few hundred million at an IT project we don't understand but makes us sound modern' as quaint. I only have 2 or 3 elections left in me at my age if I am lucky. I am seen as a burden. We have children needing Unicef parcels in London. I have been extremely lucky growing up and living in the time I have but the way this pandemic has been handled makes me despair for my grandchildren's future. I don't care if I get it and die anymore, this country has been screwed by the rich. We have let them do it. We slag off teachers and they were right. It's only common sense that schools were a breeding ground for the mutated disease. Nothing makes sense, shut pubs but keep big warehouses open. Keep shops and schools open. Its all about keeping the shareholders happy not the people safe

rant over
Christmas Carnage? on 12:51 - Dec 19 with 4757 viewsSadoldgit

What I find particularly frustrating is that, throughout this pandemic, that have constantly been on the back foot and reactive. No long term planning, just a stream of knee jerk reactions to the latest sets of data. You would think that, by now, they would have a better handle on things. The second wave was always coming and Christmas was always going to be problematic. What has happened? A few days before Christmas they are going to meet up to discuss what further actions to take. If I was a manager behaving like this I would be out on my arse. Johnson wants to be remembered as another Churchill. At this rate he is more likely to be remembered as another Benny Hill 🤪
Christmas Carnage? on 13:18 - Dec 19 with 4743 viewsJaySaint

Christmas Carnage? on 12:51 - Dec 19 by Sadoldgit

What I find particularly frustrating is that, throughout this pandemic, that have constantly been on the back foot and reactive. No long term planning, just a stream of knee jerk reactions to the latest sets of data. You would think that, by now, they would have a better handle on things. The second wave was always coming and Christmas was always going to be problematic. What has happened? A few days before Christmas they are going to meet up to discuss what further actions to take. If I was a manager behaving like this I would be out on my arse. Johnson wants to be remembered as another Churchill. At this rate he is more likely to be remembered as another Benny Hill 🤪

Lockdown longer, harder, further, deeper....yes?

Poll: Who is responsible for Liverpool's defeat?

Christmas Carnage? on 13:22 - Dec 19 with 4742 viewsBazza

This topic seems to have slipped into some anti government rants with assumed knowledge and foresight exceeding that of all the medical experts.
So can you please predict today's score so I can place a bet to pay for all the xmas spending?
Christmas Carnage? on 13:35 - Dec 19 with 4727 viewsSaintsforeverj

Christmas Carnage? on 12:51 - Dec 19 by Sadoldgit

Every country is reacting though isn't it. Your post comes across as just a real anti Boris post, because it is not only Boris making Knee jerk reactions. Northern Island have just gone into lockdown for example, reactively. Italy, today has just ordered a Christmas lockdown today. Very reactive with lack of planning wouldn't you say? Should they have a better handle of things?

No, because this is an unprecedented situation that is difficult to manage for every country in the world. Other countries have too. Wales have been in and out of lockdown, yet you and others gun for Boris on an issue that most leaders are being "reactive" with. Just slamming Boris on every opportunity is unfair I think.

Christmas Carnage? on 13:40 - Dec 19 with 4710 viewssaint22

Christmas Carnage? on 13:35 - Dec 19 by Saintsforeverj

Every country is reacting though isn't it. Your post comes across as just a real anti Boris post, because it is not only Boris making Knee jerk reactions. Northern Island have just gone into lockdown for example, reactively. Italy, today has just ordered a Christmas lockdown today. Very reactive with lack of planning wouldn't you say? Should they have a better handle of things?

No, because this is an unprecedented situation that is difficult to manage for every country in the world. Other countries have too. Wales have been in and out of lockdown, yet you and others gun for Boris on an issue that most leaders are being "reactive" with. Just slamming Boris on every opportunity is unfair I think.

Boris has been ignoring advice from experts therefore he has plenty to answer for
Plus he failed to sack C**tings when he undermined the governments advice leading the public to feel Like they could what they wanted
When will you blue rinses admit it??
Christmas Carnage? on 14:51 - Dec 19 with 4676 viewsthissceptredsaint

Its an anti Boris post because he is responsible. So what. It's not going to be a pat on the back for this corrupt evil man and his government. I wish I had voted for another brexit party now. That's why I voted conservative. I didn't have any high expectations given the way they have damaged the country in 10 years but Labour was split so what other choice did I have. This lot including him should be in gaol. As for Reece Moggs comments this week...

As I mentioned many months ago. My wife is still working in the NHS, they all knew wave 2 was coming and anyone with a family could predict what would happen when children went back to school. Sunak was more concerned with pushing people in low paid jobs back to work than following medical advice and basic common sense

Fed up with them.
Christmas Carnage? on 17:01 - Dec 19 with 4653 viewsSadoldgit

Christmas Carnage? on 13:35 - Dec 19 by Saintsforeverj

Yes, it has been difficult to manage by everybody but we in particular have made a pig’s ear of it. If I M anti Johnson it is because his leadership has been appalling as has his handling of his inept and incompetent cabinet. He constantly makes the wrong decisions at the wrong time. He is the Mauricio Pellegrino of politics.
Christmas Carnage? on 17:04 - Dec 19 with 4644 viewssaint22

Christmas Carnage? on 14:51 - Dec 19 by thissceptredsaint

Its an anti Boris post because he is responsible. So what. It's not going to be a pat on the back for this corrupt evil man and his government. I wish I had voted for another brexit party now. That's why I voted conservative. I didn't have any high expectations given the way they have damaged the country in 10 years but Labour was split so what other choice did I have. This lot including him should be in gaol. As for Reece Moggs comments this week...

As I mentioned many months ago. My wife is still working in the NHS, they all knew wave 2 was coming and anyone with a family could predict what would happen when children went back to school. Sunak was more concerned with pushing people in low paid jobs back to work than following medical advice and basic common sense

Fed up with them.

At least he has realised the idiocy of his 5 day free for all
WAC
Christmas Carnage? on 17:14 - Dec 19 with 4647 viewsSaintsforeverj

Christmas Carnage? on 17:01 - Dec 19 by Sadoldgit

Yes, it has been difficult to manage by everybody but we in particular have made a pig’s ear of it. If I M anti Johnson it is because his leadership has been appalling as has his handling of his inept and incompetent cabinet. He constantly makes the wrong decisions at the wrong time. He is the Mauricio Pellegrino of politics.

That's your opinion. Bearing in mind that patients have been queuing outside hospitals in Northern Ireland (so far our NHS has been protected more so than some countries), Wales have been in and out of lockdown, Italy have announced lockdown suddenly (reactive as you put it) - do you also think they are examples of equally poor leadership or Italy's sudden announcement doesn't count because Boris didn't order it?

Christmas Carnage? on 18:21 - Dec 19 with 4619 viewsSadoldgit

Christmas Carnage? on 17:14 - Dec 19 by Saintsforeverj

That's your opinion. Bearing in mind that patients have been queuing outside hospitals in Northern Ireland (so far our NHS has been protected more so than some countries), Wales have been in and out of lockdown, Italy have announced lockdown suddenly (reactive as you put it) - do you also think they are examples of equally poor leadership or Italy's sudden announcement doesn't count because Boris didn't order it?

I think a great many people share my opinion.
Keir Starmer has shown a lot more common sense and understanding about what has been and is needed to deal with this pandemic. Johnson is showing no more competence now in his decision making nearly a year in. At what point is he going to get a grip and show that he is ahead of the curve instead of being behind it?
His handling of the plans for Christmas has been amateurish in the extreme. We have known about the new strain of virus and the growth in the speed of the spread of the infection for enough time to make stringent plans for the Christmas period, but here we are a few days away when the penny finally drops.
Christmas Carnage? on 18:33 - Dec 19 with 4604 viewsSaintsforeverj

Christmas Carnage? on 18:21 - Dec 19 by Sadoldgit

I think a great many people share my opinion.
Keir Starmer has shown a lot more common sense and understanding about what has been and is needed to deal with this pandemic. Johnson is showing no more competence now in his decision making nearly a year in. At what point is he going to get a grip and show that he is ahead of the curve instead of being behind it?
His handling of the plans for Christmas has been amateurish in the extreme. We have known about the new strain of virus and the growth in the speed of the spread of the infection for enough time to make stringent plans for the Christmas period, but here we are a few days away when the penny finally drops.

I understand that you think his decisions have been amateurish etc etc. But do you think decisions have been better in Italy for example? They have just gone into lockdown today, at the last minute. Do you think ambulances outside hospitals in Northern Ireland is also bad management? I already know that you think Boris is a terrible leader, but I'm interested to know what you think about Italy announcing lockdown today and ambulances queuing outside hospitals in N. Ireland. Do these examples not tell you that these unprecedented times are causing reactive decisions everywhere (and chaos) not just here?

Scotland has also now just announced a lockdown from boxing day, ruining plans. Is this another example of bad / amateurish leadership as it is reactive and could have been made earlier? I see this is as a difficult and impossible time for everyone personally, causing chaos everywhere.
[Post edited 19 Dec 2020 18:43]

Christmas Carnage? on 08:04 - Dec 20 with 4479 viewssaint22

Christmas Carnage? on 18:33 - Dec 19 by Saintsforeverj

I understand that you think his decisions have been amateurish etc etc. But do you think decisions have been better in Italy for example? They have just gone into lockdown today, at the last minute. Do you think ambulances outside hospitals in Northern Ireland is also bad management? I already know that you think Boris is a terrible leader, but I'm interested to know what you think about Italy announcing lockdown today and ambulances queuing outside hospitals in N. Ireland. Do these examples not tell you that these unprecedented times are causing reactive decisions everywhere (and chaos) not just here?

Scotland has also now just announced a lockdown from boxing day, ruining plans. Is this another example of bad / amateurish leadership as it is reactive and could have been made earlier? I see this is as a difficult and impossible time for everyone personally, causing chaos everywhere.
[Post edited 19 Dec 2020 18:43]

We don’t think he is a bad leader it’s plain to see unless you’re blinded by political allegiance
Christmas Carnage? on 10:01 - Dec 20 with 4419 viewsSalisburySaint

Christmas Carnage? on 08:04 - Dec 20 by saint22

We don’t think he is a bad leader it’s plain to see unless you’re blinded by political allegiance

The whole 5 day Christmas idea was a ridiculous idea from day one, people from all tiers travelling all over the country, was just asking for trouble.

Too many of the decisions seem to be taken at the 11th hour, two days ago London Tier 3, two days later tier 4, feel sorry for those have had their Christmas plans affected but it’s only common sense to do what we are now, but shouldn’t they have listened to the doctors who stressed 5 day Christmas should have been cancelled a week ago.

On local front, why did it take so long for Portsmouth to get put into Tier 3, a friends wife works at QA and was saying 3 weeks ago that there was a major problem down there
[Post edited 20 Dec 2020 10:34]
Christmas Carnage? on 10:23 - Dec 20 with 4411 viewssolent_toffee

Christmas Carnage? on 10:01 - Dec 20 by SalisburySaint

The whole 5 day Christmas idea was a ridiculous idea from day one, people from all tiers travelling all over the country, was just asking for trouble.

Too many of the decisions seem to be taken at the 11th hour, two days ago London Tier 3, two days later tier 4, feel sorry for those have had their Christmas plans affected but it’s only common sense to do what we are now, but shouldn’t they have listened to the doctors who stressed 5 day Christmas should have been cancelled a week ago.

On local front, why did it take so long for Portsmouth to get put into Tier 3, a friends wife works at QA and was saying 3 weeks ago that there was a major problem down there
[Post edited 20 Dec 2020 10:34]

At the announcement of the vaccine when there was a genuine high for the nation, they should have scaled Christmas down to what it is now. People (well 99% of the population) would have accepted it and acted accordingly.

People still will (99%) act accordingly I’m sure, but many would have been inconvenienced having made plans etc, not to mention the mental health impact on people.

All in all it could have been avoided but we are where we are.
Christmas Carnage? on 10:46 - Dec 20 with 4401 viewskentsouthampton

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024