Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Love of Footy or Love of the Occassion 18:04 - Dec 30 with 749 viewsBerber

The Covid situation has highlighted the "atmosphere" issues. The media had been on about the negativity of Southampton fans at St Mary's, though I don't think that fans are particularly down on the team, on the contrary. However, away results have been fgar superior to home results for some time. The absence of fans seems to have improved home performances. Clearly, the team feel a difference. What do you think?
Love of Footy or Love of the Occassion on 18:23 - Dec 30 with 729 viewsSaintsforeverj

I honestly don't think Saints fans are any worse than some of the moaners at other clubs. I have sat in the away end at a silent Goodison park when big Sam was there, a silent and moany Emirates (Arsenal fans moaning and complaining everywhere), a silent Anfield, Old Trafford, full of tourists taking pictures etc etc. Saints fans are a lot better than some of those grounds. Of course there were nerves in the stands, when we kept losing, there are at every ground.

There have been some strange results this year, across the board without fans, at all grounds, probably because as is human nature, there isn't an audience so the players are less nervous and that is the same for every team. Our fans can be as passionate as most in my opinion (I was there at Fratton Park in the cup game and the passion was superb). However, any Saints fan complaining at the moment, with a great manager and a competitive team, are of course unwelcome.

As for love of footy or love of the occasion. For me it's both. I am missing the occasions, but this pandemic has shown me my love for Saints too, desperately wanting them to win, whether there are crowds or not. But definitely missing going to the the games.
[Post edited 30 Dec 2020 18:25]

Poll: Would you like Ings to come back?

Love of Footy or Love of the Occassion on 19:08 - Dec 30 with 677 viewsBerber

Love of Footy or Love of the Occassion on 18:23 - Dec 30 by Saintsforeverj

I honestly don't think Saints fans are any worse than some of the moaners at other clubs. I have sat in the away end at a silent Goodison park when big Sam was there, a silent and moany Emirates (Arsenal fans moaning and complaining everywhere), a silent Anfield, Old Trafford, full of tourists taking pictures etc etc. Saints fans are a lot better than some of those grounds. Of course there were nerves in the stands, when we kept losing, there are at every ground.

There have been some strange results this year, across the board without fans, at all grounds, probably because as is human nature, there isn't an audience so the players are less nervous and that is the same for every team. Our fans can be as passionate as most in my opinion (I was there at Fratton Park in the cup game and the passion was superb). However, any Saints fan complaining at the moment, with a great manager and a competitive team, are of course unwelcome.

As for love of footy or love of the occasion. For me it's both. I am missing the occasions, but this pandemic has shown me my love for Saints too, desperately wanting them to win, whether there are crowds or not. But definitely missing going to the the games.

Excellent post
Love of Footy or Love of the Occassion on 20:36 - Dec 30 with 641 viewssolent_toffee

Love of Footy or Love of the Occassion on 18:23 - Dec 30 by Saintsforeverj

More often than not the football gets in the way of an excellent day out with your mates.

Take that Saints Everton game. I went to the game with my cousin and his missus over from America. Met them in a pub in town with loads of my family (mainly reds). I’d paid 50 quid a ticket for three of us (me cousin and missus) to go to game and had given my season ticket seat up to my nephew who wanted to stay in the pub and I had to practically drag him away.

The game was rubbish, Everton fans getting half arsed abuse to Bisto Chops. Saints should have won, didn’t and apparently the Everton team did an end of season lap of honour in front of a few hundred people.

I went straight into town, where my family party was in full swing. Erwin Koeman was in the pub, wearing a cravat and was knocking them back. I had a few pints with Wints and Bent Eric formerly of this board who had convinced themselves that Tom Davies’ undeserved equaliser had condemned
Saints to relegation.

The worst thing about this football situation is that we are now all armchair supporters, telly clapping games and looking online for discussion/chat about the game.

Normally win lose or draw match goers would go to the pub, dissect the game and move on. Now we have to read the nonsense of the bed wetters who haven’t had to get up at 6am to travel hundreds of miles so that they can have a pint with their brother/mate before the game.
Love of Footy or Love of the Occassion on 20:46 - Dec 30 with 628 viewsA1079

I am with Saintsforeverj.

I have never thought our fans are any worse than any others. Yes, we have a reputation for being a bit slow to get behind our players vocally something that even McMenemy and Strachan recognised. But they also recognised our loyalty and sticking with the players and team when things are difficult and not so quick to be on their backs when things do not go so well.

Football for me though is all about the whole experience of the day, win, lose or draw and I am really not a very good TV watcher of my team. It is about being there and everything before and after the game with family and friends whatever or however the game itself plays out.

As a long Saints fan through good, bad and indifferent I have experienced some great atmospheres with Saints both at the Dell (especially at some evening games) and the year we ended up 2nd in the league but also more recently at away games and the Carabao final where I thought our fans were sublime throughout. I have experienced some toxic atmospheres but also some great gallow humour on the terraces when the football as been about as bad as it can get. But, it is the social thing as well.

There are many detractors or haters of football who say they do not understand the passion of supporting a group of men chasing a round object. What they do not understand is the sense of camaraderie (probably spelt that wrong!), friendship, sharing a common aim and interest and for a couple of hours not thinking about work or other stresses that take over your life. I miss it badly and hope it will be back next season (I have accepted it won't be this).
Love of Footy or Love of the Occassion on 21:22 - Dec 30 with 610 viewsSaintsforeverj

Love of Footy or Love of the Occassion on 20:46 - Dec 30 by A1079

I am with Saintsforeverj.

I have never thought our fans are any worse than any others. Yes, we have a reputation for being a bit slow to get behind our players vocally something that even McMenemy and Strachan recognised. But they also recognised our loyalty and sticking with the players and team when things are difficult and not so quick to be on their backs when things do not go so well.

Football for me though is all about the whole experience of the day, win, lose or draw and I am really not a very good TV watcher of my team. It is about being there and everything before and after the game with family and friends whatever or however the game itself plays out.

As a long Saints fan through good, bad and indifferent I have experienced some great atmospheres with Saints both at the Dell (especially at some evening games) and the year we ended up 2nd in the league but also more recently at away games and the Carabao final where I thought our fans were sublime throughout. I have experienced some toxic atmospheres but also some great gallow humour on the terraces when the football as been about as bad as it can get. But, it is the social thing as well.

There are many detractors or haters of football who say they do not understand the passion of supporting a group of men chasing a round object. What they do not understand is the sense of camaraderie (probably spelt that wrong!), friendship, sharing a common aim and interest and for a couple of hours not thinking about work or other stresses that take over your life. I miss it badly and hope it will be back next season (I have accepted it won't be this).

Yeah totally agree. Really missing the whole match day experience. Saturday football, getting up, Saints shirt on, going in the local shop to chat to the Saints supporting shop owner, back home before travelling to St Mary's butterflies in the stomach (they never go away!). Then a walk around the ground, visit the shop with family, a beer and burger, chatting to the fans. Occasionally out for a meal after the match, with the family, only if we have won! And yeah away games on the coach or train etc, having a chat, feeling excited about the game. Can't wait for it to return!
[Post edited 30 Dec 2020 21:30]

Love of Footy or Love of the Occassion on 21:27 - Dec 30 with 603 viewsSaintsforeverj

Love of Footy or Love of the Occassion on 20:36 - Dec 30 by solent_toffee

More often than not the football gets in the way of an excellent day out with your mates.

Take that Saints Everton game. I went to the game with my cousin and his missus over from America. Met them in a pub in town with loads of my family (mainly reds). I’d paid 50 quid a ticket for three of us (me cousin and missus) to go to game and had given my season ticket seat up to my nephew who wanted to stay in the pub and I had to practically drag him away.

The game was rubbish, Everton fans getting half arsed abuse to Bisto Chops. Saints should have won, didn’t and apparently the Everton team did an end of season lap of honour in front of a few hundred people.

I went straight into town, where my family party was in full swing. Erwin Koeman was in the pub, wearing a cravat and was knocking them back. I had a few pints with Wints and Bent Eric formerly of this board who had convinced themselves that Tom Davies’ undeserved equaliser had condemned
Saints to relegation.

The worst thing about this football situation is that we are now all armchair supporters, telly clapping games and looking online for discussion/chat about the game.

Normally win lose or draw match goers would go to the pub, dissect the game and move on. Now we have to read the nonsense of the bed wetters who haven’t had to get up at 6am to travel hundreds of miles so that they can have a pint with their brother/mate before the game.

Yep, was at that game, when we took a rare extra amount of fans to Goodison and I was sat in the upper tier. As it happens that equaliser in 96th minute didn't change much in that we still had go for the win at Swansea in the next game (although a draw would have made us safe too I think). And yeah, Everton fans were booing their own team and Big Sam during the game. To balance that, I was also there when Everton beat us 2 1 when Moyes was manager and the atmosphere was electric that day. But the point is, every fan is the same, we are happy when our team wins, we are upset when they lose! It's pretty much the same everywhere.
[Post edited 30 Dec 2020 21:29]

Love of Footy or Love of the Occassion on 06:17 - Dec 31 with 505 viewsBerber

Watching footy on TV, which I have done a lot of now, same as everyone is ultimately a hollow experience. No walking to the ground, the streets getting busier, the buzz louder. The smell from the burger kiosks getting stronger, the hubub once in the gate. (Once upon a time, there would have been the jostling a way onto the terraces and the crowd heaving and relocating everyone. I miss that now.) I miss the noise, singing, chanting, shouting and the sense of being "in it", innit? I even miss that damp, perishing wind blowing up the Solent and into the Kingsland. There is nothing quite like live, top level football to see the pace and skill, what the players are trying to do, watching the race to leave at the end even.

There is a gospel song, "Soon, soon and very soon, we are going to see the King." Well, I hope that is true for normal full capacity home games, and we might be back before the end of the season, fingers crossed.
Love of Footy or Love of the Occassion on 10:22 - Dec 31 with 433 viewsSaintNick

Love of Footy or Love of the Occassion on 06:17 - Dec 31 by Berber

Watching footy on TV, which I have done a lot of now, same as everyone is ultimately a hollow experience. No walking to the ground, the streets getting busier, the buzz louder. The smell from the burger kiosks getting stronger, the hubub once in the gate. (Once upon a time, there would have been the jostling a way onto the terraces and the crowd heaving and relocating everyone. I miss that now.) I miss the noise, singing, chanting, shouting and the sense of being "in it", innit? I even miss that damp, perishing wind blowing up the Solent and into the Kingsland. There is nothing quite like live, top level football to see the pace and skill, what the players are trying to do, watching the race to leave at the end even.

There is a gospel song, "Soon, soon and very soon, we are going to see the King." Well, I hope that is true for normal full capacity home games, and we might be back before the end of the season, fingers crossed.

All good points, I have to say that for me it is about the day out as much as the football, I think for many it is like that, whether its about a few drinks in the pub or those who like to get to the ground early see the players arrive and warm up.

From a purely footballing perspective, watching at home is probably better, you can see all the action, get all the replays hear all the comments, but it is nothing compared to being at the ground

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Login to get fewer ads

Love of Footy or Love of the Occassion on 11:12 - Dec 31 with 419 viewsarfurdent

Love of Footy or Love of the Occassion on 10:22 - Dec 31 by SaintNick

All good points, I have to say that for me it is about the day out as much as the football, I think for many it is like that, whether its about a few drinks in the pub or those who like to get to the ground early see the players arrive and warm up.

From a purely footballing perspective, watching at home is probably better, you can see all the action, get all the replays hear all the comments, but it is nothing compared to being at the ground

totally agree it is all about meeting up with friends in the pub before the match to sort the world out, especially so for away games. Basically the matchday is a great day out with friends sometimes ruined by 90 minutes of football

And the White Knight is talking backwards And the Red Queen's off with her head

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024