Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
RH grateful for fans support 18:43 - Feb 4 with 3353 viewsBerber

Said he was more emotional than after any win with the support given after the latest 9-0. I've always thought the "We March On" slogan was rubbish. In my head it always makes me think of the cr@p time under Mark Hughes. However, in our present circumstances, it has suddenly become meaningful.
RH grateful for fans support on 18:59 - Feb 4 with 1830 viewsTripleNiemi

I think most of us realise just what an asset Ralph is to Saints and whilst he might not get everything right, the guy is honest which is a breath of fresh air in the modern game. I do dread to think where we would finish in the league without RH at the helm so lets hope we start to get some players back and get that top half finish.

As for the 'We March On' and 'The Southampton Way' slogans - what a load of cringey bollőx

Ready and waiting to mop up those European places......

RH grateful for fans support on 19:10 - Feb 4 with 1816 viewscynicalsaint

'the LATEST 9-0'.
RH grateful for fans support on 19:28 - Feb 4 with 1782 viewsgreen

He's a good manager and he's done a great job - but - for us fans it's embarrassing losing 9-0. Twice!

After the last one, we heard all the talk of how it wouldn't happen again and so on. We can blame ref, var etc. but we've crumbled again when faced with adversity. He should be able to set us up even with 10 or 9 men and not get smashed by such a scoreline.
RH grateful for fans support on 20:00 - Feb 4 with 1737 viewsBicester_North

RH grateful for fans support on 19:28 - Feb 4 by green

He's a good manager and he's done a great job - but - for us fans it's embarrassing losing 9-0. Twice!

After the last one, we heard all the talk of how it wouldn't happen again and so on. We can blame ref, var etc. but we've crumbled again when faced with adversity. He should be able to set us up even with 10 or 9 men and not get smashed by such a scoreline.

We need more nasty players, cynical players. Every successful team has a couple. Should be a priority in the summer to get some proper hard cases signed, that do the dirty side of the game well.

West Ham and Leicester, as Dirk has mentioned before, have a bit of this.

We’re too nice and fair.

Poll: Who do you feel most sorry for

RH grateful for fans support on 20:44 - Feb 4 with 1668 viewsMytchettSaint

I thought I was the only who felt like this! As much as I’m grateful for Ralph this shouldn’t just be shrugged off with a list of reasons no matter how valid they might be. It should not have happened again under any circumstances.

It should be embarrassing for those players who now have that score line on their CV twice with millions watching world wide. I question how much some of them are hurting about it. I’d be mortified if I was one of them.

Block 13; Curva Itchen Sud

RH grateful for fans support on 21:02 - Feb 4 with 1639 viewsdirk_doone

I back Ralph 100%. It's just a shame fans aren't allowed in games because he would get overwhelming support in our next game at St Mary's. It would probably have been one of the best and most emotional atmospheres there ever, driving us on to victory.

The combination of the worst catalogue of injuries I can remember in my 50+ years of supporting Saints and the only referee I can recall who tried to humiliate us at every opportunity should not be blamed on a manager who took us to the top of the Premier League and who has given us one of our best seasons in recent years. You can be sure that once it got to 6-0, Dean had his 9-0 Leicester result in his sights. With any other referee, yes, we might have lost as badly as 6-1 but with the players we had available that was understandable. The ONLY reason it got to 9-0 was Mike Dean and today's decision by the FA acknowledges that.

This will be unique in the annals of the Premier League: a team that battled back from a 9-0 defeat twice and ultimately came out on top. How many other teams' fans and players could do that? I believe ours can.
[Post edited 4 Feb 2021 21:35]

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

RH grateful for fans support on 21:40 - Feb 4 with 1578 viewsSadoldgit

Ok, if a mid table team can’t concede 9 goals in a game without utter humiliation, it’s just as well the League champions haven't conceded 7 goals in a game this season.
Oh wait...
RH grateful for fans support on 21:50 - Feb 4 with 1559 viewsdirk_doone

RH grateful for fans support on 21:40 - Feb 4 by Sadoldgit

Ok, if a mid table team can’t concede 9 goals in a game without utter humiliation, it’s just as well the League champions haven't conceded 7 goals in a game this season.
Oh wait...

I have to be honest with you, when it was 6-0 and Mike Dean delivered his coup de grace, I couldn't watch it any more because I knew it was going to be 9-0. Dean had demoralised the team to such an extent that they no longer saw any point in trying to fight against him. He was the boss and he was going to do whatever he liked.

After what happened in the Villa game (Mason as ref and Dean on VAR), even the fact that they knew who the officials were going to be for the next game (Dean as ref and Mason as 4th official) must have sapped any self-belief that they could win out of them. How on earth could the FA deliver a double whammy like that?
[Post edited 4 Feb 2021 21:51]

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Login to get fewer ads

RH grateful for fans support on 22:10 - Feb 4 with 1533 viewsDorsetIan

RH grateful for fans support on 21:50 - Feb 4 by dirk_doone

I have to be honest with you, when it was 6-0 and Mike Dean delivered his coup de grace, I couldn't watch it any more because I knew it was going to be 9-0. Dean had demoralised the team to such an extent that they no longer saw any point in trying to fight against him. He was the boss and he was going to do whatever he liked.

After what happened in the Villa game (Mason as ref and Dean on VAR), even the fact that they knew who the officials were going to be for the next game (Dean as ref and Mason as 4th official) must have sapped any self-belief that they could win out of them. How on earth could the FA deliver a double whammy like that?
[Post edited 4 Feb 2021 21:51]

Now that the Bednarek red has been rescinded (which implies no pen), as far as I'm concerned we didn't lose 9-0. We were losing 6-0 at 87 mins and beyond that I'm writing off as cheating.

Certainly we don't need to beat ourselves up about 'another' record 9-0. This one shouldn't count. Just like Ben Johnson's gold, and Lance Armstrong's tour wins.

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

RH grateful for fans support on 22:53 - Feb 4 with 1494 viewsMytchettSaint

RH grateful for fans support on 21:40 - Feb 4 by Sadoldgit

Oh wait...

Point taken but let’s see how quickly Liverpool lose again 7-2 in the next season or two..

I understand some people can instantly shrug it off, I ain’t one of those. I make no apology for it either. I hate losing at anything. It hurts.

Block 13; Curva Itchen Sud

RH grateful for fans support on 23:18 - Feb 4 with 1470 viewsSadoldgit

RH grateful for fans support on 22:53 - Feb 4 by MytchettSaint

Point taken but let’s see how quickly Liverpool lose again 7-2 in the next season or two..

I understand some people can instantly shrug it off, I ain’t one of those. I make no apology for it either. I hate losing at anything. It hurts.

I don’t think people are shrugging it off, just putting it into perspective. If you don’t like losing why feel more upset if we lose by more than one goal? We lost 3 points, the goal difference makes little difference. As has been said, it wasn’t a penalty and there is a good chance we would have lost 6-0 if the officials had got that right. Still a hammering but I bet there would be half the outcry.
It happened and it sucks, but the thing to do is to pull together and work to turn it round, not to dwell on it and beat ourselves up. If we had our full team out and had no one sent off this would be a completely different situation, but what was the likelihood of us losing 9-0 in those circumstances?
RH grateful for fans support on 06:34 - Feb 5 with 1392 viewsMattFinish

Okay the two 9-0s were awful results but what about the victories over Liverpool, Man City, Chelsea etc or the way we played City off the pitch this season.
Since the first 9-0 we've been unbelievable, punching way above our weight. With the squad and investment we've got we should be in the thick of e relegation battle.
Jesus some fans are never happy
RH grateful for fans support on 08:18 - Feb 5 with 1330 viewsA_Saint_in_Stoke

RH grateful for fans support on 06:34 - Feb 5 by MattFinish

Okay the two 9-0s were awful results but what about the victories over Liverpool, Man City, Chelsea etc or the way we played City off the pitch this season.
Since the first 9-0 we've been unbelievable, punching way above our weight. With the squad and investment we've got we should be in the thick of e relegation battle.
Jesus some fans are never happy

TOTALLY AGREE - And WELL done to MattF for putting the Positive side forward - yes we are all hurting - But how CAN YOU BLAME RALPH - What with all the injuries - and a youngster loosing all sense of responsibility after only 80 secs - IF for some reason was that he didn't get a transfer ...... he should never play for ANY of Saints team ever again ! I understand that money is tight for everyone - But I feel that fingers should be pointed at the Boardroom GAO PARTICULAR ....... Where is KAT ????????? I Really feel the if this - pushes Ralph to have thoughts of leaving --- We can blame the boardroom - they could have done SOMETHING to back our manager,

Poll: As a Saint's supporter I Feel Southampton F.C. Public Relations Department is -

RH grateful for fans support on 08:24 - Feb 5 with 1324 viewsA1079

It is a great pity that we cannot be in the stadium to show Ralph and the players our support as I think it would have been quite emotional.

That said, in reality no Professional football team should lose a game by 9-0 and even you accept it once as a freak result, to do it twice in consecutive years is somewhat embarrassing. Nevertheless, I do think on this occasion there were more extenuating circumstances that were not totally in our control which help lead to that result. But going down to 10 men should not be a catalyst for a collapse in itself, especially when you have experienced PL players in a team who should know how to manage those situations.

But, I do think it is good and proper for us all to rally behind the manager because overall, the good outweighs the bad moments and the football is generally much more palatable and he has given numerous good experiences and I think with him at the helm there will be more. But, he really needs a chairman and a board behind him and as long as we have who we have at the top that looks a forlorn hope.

I would just like to add one more thing that has not been mentioned as far as I can tell and that is the young player Alexandre Jankewitz. He has perhaps not endeared himself to the fans by supposedly calling for a transfer last week or whenever it was and clearly the late tackle was a deserved RED but I would like people to cut him some slack and show him that we are a good bunch of supporters who care. He is a young man and may for all we know be a great talent on the verge of breaking out. He needs our support and not ridicule etc. He has alot of learning to do and maturing. Lets please give him a chance. The risk at the moment is that he ends up feeling isolated, lonely and becomes ill with it. Was I perfect as a teenage - No. My son when he was in his teens was a nightmare at times as much as I think he is the best thing since sliced bread. Lets give him hope that not all is lost.
RH grateful for fans support on 09:03 - Feb 5 with 1287 viewsRon11

RH grateful for fans support on 08:24 - Feb 5 by A1079

It is a great pity that we cannot be in the stadium to show Ralph and the players our support as I think it would have been quite emotional.

That said, in reality no Professional football team should lose a game by 9-0 and even you accept it once as a freak result, to do it twice in consecutive years is somewhat embarrassing. Nevertheless, I do think on this occasion there were more extenuating circumstances that were not totally in our control which help lead to that result. But going down to 10 men should not be a catalyst for a collapse in itself, especially when you have experienced PL players in a team who should know how to manage those situations.

But, I do think it is good and proper for us all to rally behind the manager because overall, the good outweighs the bad moments and the football is generally much more palatable and he has given numerous good experiences and I think with him at the helm there will be more. But, he really needs a chairman and a board behind him and as long as we have who we have at the top that looks a forlorn hope.

I would just like to add one more thing that has not been mentioned as far as I can tell and that is the young player Alexandre Jankewitz. He has perhaps not endeared himself to the fans by supposedly calling for a transfer last week or whenever it was and clearly the late tackle was a deserved RED but I would like people to cut him some slack and show him that we are a good bunch of supporters who care. He is a young man and may for all we know be a great talent on the verge of breaking out. He needs our support and not ridicule etc. He has alot of learning to do and maturing. Lets please give him a chance. The risk at the moment is that he ends up feeling isolated, lonely and becomes ill with it. Was I perfect as a teenage - No. My son when he was in his teens was a nightmare at times as much as I think he is the best thing since sliced bread. Lets give him hope that not all is lost.

Becomes ill with it?
These lads are probably on a quarter of a million quid a year even at eighteen years of age. They are already on the ladder that takes them to financial security by the time they're 30, with some hard work but doing something that is high profile and one that they enjoy. How many people have a job like that?
Saints will have spent a lot of money on training him, showing him how to behave, etc etc and he repays them by putting in a transfer request and then sparking an embarrassing defeat by trying to show how hard he is as soon as the game started.
The club being soft on him now is not the way forward. Any hope he has should be that his utter stupidity gets out of his system at an early age.
Agree about Ralph, he's a good man. It's a hero who stands there and takes the flak with a threadbare team while Liebherr and Gao hide in the shadows.
RH grateful for fans support on 09:36 - Feb 5 with 1275 viewsgreen

"...something like this can never, ever happen again. Never.”

This was our captain speaking after the last time.
RH grateful for fans support on 10:26 - Feb 5 with 1236 viewsA1079

RH grateful for fans support on 09:03 - Feb 5 by Ron11

Becomes ill with it?
These lads are probably on a quarter of a million quid a year even at eighteen years of age. They are already on the ladder that takes them to financial security by the time they're 30, with some hard work but doing something that is high profile and one that they enjoy. How many people have a job like that?
Saints will have spent a lot of money on training him, showing him how to behave, etc etc and he repays them by putting in a transfer request and then sparking an embarrassing defeat by trying to show how hard he is as soon as the game started.
The club being soft on him now is not the way forward. Any hope he has should be that his utter stupidity gets out of his system at an early age.
Agree about Ralph, he's a good man. It's a hero who stands there and takes the flak with a threadbare team while Liebherr and Gao hide in the shadows.

Hi Ron11

I hear what you are saying and I perhaps did not convey it well, I am not suggesting going soft at all and I agree that footballers at that level get paid very well, but it may be about some tough "love" as well not necessarily soft, but I still think a lad of that age is susceptible to becoming or feeling marginalised (no matter how much money they have) if they think the world is against them.

I am not sympathetic at all regarding his supposed transfer request. He was hopefully told some home truths along the lines you have expressed on that one.
RH grateful for fans support on 11:33 - Feb 5 with 1201 viewsRon11

RH grateful for fans support on 10:26 - Feb 5 by A1079

Hi Ron11

I hear what you are saying and I perhaps did not convey it well, I am not suggesting going soft at all and I agree that footballers at that level get paid very well, but it may be about some tough "love" as well not necessarily soft, but I still think a lad of that age is susceptible to becoming or feeling marginalised (no matter how much money they have) if they think the world is against them.

I am not sympathetic at all regarding his supposed transfer request. He was hopefully told some home truths along the lines you have expressed on that one.

I do understand what you're saying but I don't think the world has been against him so far in his life compared to millions of other less fortunates! Nice to have a civilised conversation.
RH grateful for fans support on 12:08 - Feb 5 with 1176 viewsA1079

RH grateful for fans support on 11:33 - Feb 5 by Ron11

I do understand what you're saying but I don't think the world has been against him so far in his life compared to millions of other less fortunates! Nice to have a civilised conversation.

Agreed Ron11. I do try to generally but I will admit it backfires sometimes.

Have a good weekend and lets hope Saints kick start their season again - as I am sure they will.
RH grateful for fans support on 12:14 - Feb 5 with 1173 viewsTimSaint

Let's face it, we had virtually lost the game before it had even kicked off and the result was fully confirmed 90 seconds later.

You can point the finger at so many different elements that contributed to the defeat - the injuries, the tactics, the VAR, the school boy marking and defending, the capitulation at the end, but Ralph has to take some of the blame for this. He picked the team (albeit from a small pool of players) and he chose the tactics.

I really like the guy and believe in what he is trying to do with the team, but I don't think we have an entire squad that is capable of playing the RH way just yet. Surely even Ralph realises that until the squad consists entirely of players that he wants / has selected himself, we are always going have the odd struggle or blip.

Having recently signed a new contract, I believe he will stay with us and of course, I want him to stay and continue his good work. He likes it here, has a great rapport with the club and fans and we can see what he is trying to build. He just needs to be allowed to have good clear out of the deadwood and costly loan players and to be backed in the transfer market. 10 out, 3 or 4 in would be great.

It doesn't look like Ralph will walk and the club definitely won't sack him - even if they wanted to, they can't afford to !!

TimSaint

RH grateful for fans support on 12:24 - Feb 5 with 1169 viewsDorsetIan

RH grateful for fans support on 12:14 - Feb 5 by TimSaint

Let's face it, we had virtually lost the game before it had even kicked off and the result was fully confirmed 90 seconds later.

You can point the finger at so many different elements that contributed to the defeat - the injuries, the tactics, the VAR, the school boy marking and defending, the capitulation at the end, but Ralph has to take some of the blame for this. He picked the team (albeit from a small pool of players) and he chose the tactics.

I really like the guy and believe in what he is trying to do with the team, but I don't think we have an entire squad that is capable of playing the RH way just yet. Surely even Ralph realises that until the squad consists entirely of players that he wants / has selected himself, we are always going have the odd struggle or blip.

Having recently signed a new contract, I believe he will stay with us and of course, I want him to stay and continue his good work. He likes it here, has a great rapport with the club and fans and we can see what he is trying to build. He just needs to be allowed to have good clear out of the deadwood and costly loan players and to be backed in the transfer market. 10 out, 3 or 4 in would be great.

It doesn't look like Ralph will walk and the club definitely won't sack him - even if they wanted to, they can't afford to !!

Is it fair to criticise Ralph for the tactics? Beyond the first 2 minutes the normal 'high press' tactics were out of the window anyway and we reverted very quickly, and without much other option (given the quality of the opposition and the long 88 mins in front of us) to two banks of defenders. And we did keep them out for 18 mins in the first half and 24 mins in the second.

I'm ignoring the last 3 goals. Most of the others were down to individual mistakes from - sorry to single people out -Djenepo and Stephens. Can't really blame Ralph for picking Stephens (no other choice) and it's a mystery to me why he picks Djenepo, but it's hardly the first time.

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

RH grateful for fans support on 12:31 - Feb 5 with 1156 viewsI_would

RH grateful for fans support on 18:59 - Feb 4 by TripleNiemi

I think most of us realise just what an asset Ralph is to Saints and whilst he might not get everything right, the guy is honest which is a breath of fresh air in the modern game. I do dread to think where we would finish in the league without RH at the helm so lets hope we start to get some players back and get that top half finish.

As for the 'We March On' and 'The Southampton Way' slogans - what a load of cringey bollőx

I'd rather have a dishonest manager with tactics that didn't allow for total collapse twice and perhaps better sub choices at the right times.

Poll: How many players should RH play at the back on Saturday?

RH grateful for fans support on 12:42 - Feb 5 with 1151 viewsIngskneeslide

RH grateful for fans support on 12:31 - Feb 5 by I_would

I'd rather have a dishonest manager with tactics that didn't allow for total collapse twice and perhaps better sub choices at the right times.

I’m sure you’d rather be supporting a top-level team and not worrying about losing your next game to Sandown FC or whoever you play nowadays but you can’t have everything pal.
RH grateful for fans support on 12:47 - Feb 5 with 1146 viewsTimSaint

RH grateful for fans support on 12:24 - Feb 5 by DorsetIan

Is it fair to criticise Ralph for the tactics? Beyond the first 2 minutes the normal 'high press' tactics were out of the window anyway and we reverted very quickly, and without much other option (given the quality of the opposition and the long 88 mins in front of us) to two banks of defenders. And we did keep them out for 18 mins in the first half and 24 mins in the second.

I'm ignoring the last 3 goals. Most of the others were down to individual mistakes from - sorry to single people out -Djenepo and Stephens. Can't really blame Ralph for picking Stephens (no other choice) and it's a mystery to me why he picks Djenepo, but it's hardly the first time.

Yes I know we were never going to win the game after the red card and we were left with a very makeshift side, but once we conceded, it always looked like we were going to concede a hat full.

Rightly or wrongly, those last 3 goals really happened and even if you ignore them, the media certainly won't !! :-)

I already pointed out in another thread about our defence, that there were plenty of errors for virtually all the goals. It wasn't just Stephens who had a mare defensively though. Me and everyone on my Saints WhatsApp group were questioning why Djenepo was picked ahead of Redmond. He had a absolute shocker and has done very little to impress this season.

Let's hope we can take a big step towards recovery tomorrow !!

TimSaint

RH grateful for fans support on 12:57 - Feb 5 with 1132 viewsI_would

RH grateful for fans support on 12:42 - Feb 5 by Ingskneeslide

I’m sure you’d rather be supporting a top-level team and not worrying about losing your next game to Sandown FC or whoever you play nowadays but you can’t have everything pal.

You're 'sense of humour' is verging on the side-splitting Del. You really are a card 'pal'.

Poll: How many players should RH play at the back on Saturday?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024