Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Manolo Gabbiadini 21:39 - Feb 18 with 1247 viewsgrumpy

Remember him?

Should never have let him go. He terrorized United that day.

Just imagine him playing alongside Ings

Manolo Gabbiadini on 22:15 - Feb 18 with 1186 viewsSadoldgit

Seems to spend a lot of time on the bench at Sampdoria nowadays.
Manolo Gabbiadini on 23:20 - Feb 18 with 1142 viewsGennaro_Contaldo

He was a strange one in that he had a lot of talent (in my eyes) and was a proper poacher when needed (right space, right time), but for whatever reason, didn't settle and/or wasn't fully suited to the Premier League.

And watching those highlights p*ssed me off all over again. How Saints didn't win that cup that day I don't know.

The UI; For the sophisticated gentleman
Poll: Where will Saints finish in the 2018/19 season

Manolo Gabbiadini on 00:02 - Feb 19 with 1120 viewsdirk_doone

Manolo Gabbiadini on 23:20 - Feb 18 by Gennaro_Contaldo

He was a strange one in that he had a lot of talent (in my eyes) and was a proper poacher when needed (right space, right time), but for whatever reason, didn't settle and/or wasn't fully suited to the Premier League.

And watching those highlights p*ssed me off all over again. How Saints didn't win that cup that day I don't know.

We were on our way to victory. You could feel that the momentum was with us and Gabbiadini was terorizing them. He ws playing the game of his life. The United players' heads were down. Then Puel took Gabbiadini off in the 83rd minuted and replaced him with Shane Long. At the time, I thought, Oh no. What has he done?, The momentum shifted in an instant and the game was United's from then on. That was probably the worst substitution I can recall in all my years as a Saints fan and it cost us a trophy.

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Manolo Gabbiadini on 00:18 - Feb 19 with 1112 viewsGennaro_Contaldo

Manolo Gabbiadini on 00:02 - Feb 19 by dirk_doone

We were on our way to victory. You could feel that the momentum was with us and Gabbiadini was terorizing them. He ws playing the game of his life. The United players' heads were down. Then Puel took Gabbiadini off in the 83rd minuted and replaced him with Shane Long. At the time, I thought, Oh no. What has he done?, The momentum shifted in an instant and the game was United's from then on. That was probably the worst substitution I can recall in all my years as a Saints fan and it cost us a trophy.

Agreed. By then, I had completely sobered up, was feeling fed up and then that happened. I was with a group after but just couldn't be bothered to drink another thing and f**ked off home.

The UI; For the sophisticated gentleman
Poll: Where will Saints finish in the 2018/19 season

Manolo Gabbiadini on 07:30 - Feb 19 with 1034 viewsKennington

Gabbiadini certainly had something about him but he like Long missed a fair few. Looking at their careers although Long has played more he’s scored a few more than Gab. That goal though against Swansea will always make him a cult hero for me.

Poll: What age is too old for a striker?

Manolo Gabbiadini on 08:22 - Feb 19 with 996 views1teeminants

Once again a player who knew how to score and you could see he had something but was’nt prolific for us and often struggled ,you can’t say he was superb for us .He Will always be remembered as the saint who saved us from relegation at Swansea.
[Post edited 19 Feb 2021 8:27]

Poll: Would you take an Fa Cup win if it meant relegation to the championship ?

Manolo Gabbiadini on 09:17 - Feb 19 with 933 viewsRon11

I thought he was a class player.
His biggest problem was that other players did not get the ball to him anywhere near enough times.
Ans of course as already mentioned, that goal against Swansea.
Manolo Gabbiadini on 09:32 - Feb 19 with 921 viewssaints__fan__73

He managed a goal every 5 games on average in his time with us.

Which is about the same as Adams so let's not get too wistful.....

"Playing Devil's Advocate since 15th January 2014"
Poll: Have the events of the Summer made Nick feel closer to LFC?

Login to get fewer ads

Manolo Gabbiadini on 09:40 - Feb 19 with 915 viewsSonicBoom

There were times we didn't get him the ball and times he just didn't get involved in the game and he was a passenger, hence the reason he spent a lot of time on the bench.
His good games were great but a lot of the time he was anonymous. That is not always the fault of the players around him. Look at Ings, even on a bad day you know he is on the pitch.

That said we play better football now than we did then so it would have been interesting to see what he could have done in a team with more of the ball. He certainly is a lot better finisher than Shane Long ever was.
Manolo Gabbiadini on 09:58 - Feb 19 with 908 viewsSaintNick

Manolo Gabbiadini on 00:02 - Feb 19 by dirk_doone

The substitution did not cost us the trophy, although it was a strange one in many respects, it was late in the game and Gabbiadini was tiring and it needed fresh legs on up front, back then Long had those legs.

Gabbiadini was probably never suited to the style of play that Saints had, he scored 10 league goals for Saints in 51 appearances, 4 of those were in his first 3 games and then he didn't score again all season, meaning that in the following two years he scored just 6 times in in the next 45 games,

Granted he had a knack of getting vital goals, the one at Swansea was priceless, to a lesser extent the last minute one at Burnley, although few remember that it was Carrillo who worked his nuts off to get to a poor cross drifting out for a goalkick and head it back into the danger area.

Without that Swansea goal Gabbiadini would just be remembered for that initial burst and then a player who ran around for two seasons without scoring much, Redmond gets loads of stick of late, but truth is he contributed a lot more to the club than Gabbiadini.

I would say that the way we played was a big contributory factor, I liked his style, but the end product just wasn't there, lets be blunt in 2017/18, he played most of the games yet only scored 5 goals as the main striker.

Would he have fared better under Ralph Hasenhuttl ? Someone said they would have liked to see him play along Ings, not sure that would work they would be chasing the same balls all the time.

Ings is good because of his work rate Gabbiadini was a goal scorer end of, if he wasn't scoring he wasn't contributing

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Manolo Gabbiadini on 11:46 - Feb 19 with 864 viewsdirk_doone

Manolo Gabbiadini on 09:58 - Feb 19 by SaintNick

The substitution did not cost us the trophy, although it was a strange one in many respects, it was late in the game and Gabbiadini was tiring and it needed fresh legs on up front, back then Long had those legs.

Gabbiadini was probably never suited to the style of play that Saints had, he scored 10 league goals for Saints in 51 appearances, 4 of those were in his first 3 games and then he didn't score again all season, meaning that in the following two years he scored just 6 times in in the next 45 games,

Granted he had a knack of getting vital goals, the one at Swansea was priceless, to a lesser extent the last minute one at Burnley, although few remember that it was Carrillo who worked his nuts off to get to a poor cross drifting out for a goalkick and head it back into the danger area.

Without that Swansea goal Gabbiadini would just be remembered for that initial burst and then a player who ran around for two seasons without scoring much, Redmond gets loads of stick of late, but truth is he contributed a lot more to the club than Gabbiadini.

I would say that the way we played was a big contributory factor, I liked his style, but the end product just wasn't there, lets be blunt in 2017/18, he played most of the games yet only scored 5 goals as the main striker.

Would he have fared better under Ralph Hasenhuttl ? Someone said they would have liked to see him play along Ings, not sure that would work they would be chasing the same balls all the time.

Ings is good because of his work rate Gabbiadini was a goal scorer end of, if he wasn't scoring he wasn't contributing

Oh, yes it did. That substitution was a game changer. The entire United team was lifted by the appearance of Gabbiadini being subbed and any goal threat we had disappeared with him.

You could feel the mood change as you so often can at Wembley. I'm not saying that Gabbiadini was a prolific goal scorer or even that we miss him now but that day he was on fire, playing the game of his life and Puel replaced him with Shane Long. Immediately, he did that, you thought, how the hell are we going to win it now?

The equivalent would have been if Mourinho had substituted Ibrahimovic, but he wasn't that stupid. Instead he left the oldest player on the pitch out there until the end because he knew he was their best chance of scoring goals. At 2-2, with extra time looming, you do not take your goal scorer off unless he is injured and Gabbiadini wasn't.
[Post edited 19 Feb 2021 12:26]

Manolo Gabbiadini on 13:34 - Feb 19 with 794 viewsSonicBoom

Mind you we then did our usual thing of leaving their best player totally unmarked right in front of goal with a free header.
I can't even blame Shane Long for that one....
Manolo Gabbiadini on 13:44 - Feb 19 with 782 viewsBerber

I saw him play at The Stadium Of Light at Sunderland just after he came on board and Saints won 3-0, but the class was even greater. The quick pass and move of the team at that time was ideally suited to him and he always managed to look for and find gaps in the defence whilst in the UK. JWP also played a blinder both on the day and in that system.

The main problem was that the style changed and service to him was mostly too slow, so he could never properly exploit his nimble acceleration and positioning. Funnily enough, he would do well with either Ings, or Adams (whose quick assessment of opportunities for others would have suited him well).
Manolo Gabbiadini on 14:39 - Feb 19 with 749 viewsdirk_doone

Manolo Gabbiadini on 13:34 - Feb 19 by SonicBoom

Mind you we then did our usual thing of leaving their best player totally unmarked right in front of goal with a free header.
I can't even blame Shane Long for that one....

You're right, Sonic: wise old heads like Ibrahimovic and Giroud usually score against us.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024