Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Is Ralph’s time up at Saints 19:53 - Feb 23 with 3322 viewsElijahK

Is Ralph’s time up at Saints

Your Vote:

You need to be logged in to vote on our site polls

Poll: Should the football be on again next weekend

Is Ralph’s time up at Saints on 22:22 - Feb 23 with 2334 viewsDorsetIan

If there is an issue with Ralph it's that he's trying to play in a certain way - which has entertained us very well at times - but he no longer has the squad to do it.

It will be a sad day if he goes before he has had a chance to work with owners who can invest in him.

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

Is Ralph’s time up at Saints on 22:38 - Feb 23 with 2301 viewsSadoldgit

Ralph isn’t the problem, the lack of investment in the squad is the problem. If he is sacked it doesn’t solve the problem and the replacement will have to deal with the same issue. He will find himself facing the same poll before long.
Is Ralph’s time up at Saints on 22:40 - Feb 23 with 2298 viewssaintmary5

Am reposting what I said to 22 post and please have some faith!

Sometimes you have got to say it as it is! The awful decisions that have gone against us in previous games to this (Leeds v Southampton) were certainly subjective in favour of our opposition. The decisions in tonight’s game I have to say were fair but what we are looking at is Ralph and our team dropping their heads and game plan leading to lack of concentration because of their accumulative beliefs we are being unreasonably targeted and therefore ‘what the heck’
Stop now!
I don’t know what to say except it is totally phycological and hope we can raise our heads above this and be the very good team we are. We do not deserve to be near bottom of table regardless of injuries. And Ralph needs a lot of TLC now because of tsunami of knock backs etc! I believe in Ralph and our team.
Is Ralph’s time up at Saints on 22:40 - Feb 23 with 2292 viewsSaintsforeverj

Is Ralph’s time up at Saints on 22:38 - Feb 23 by Sadoldgit

Ralph isn’t the problem, the lack of investment in the squad is the problem. If he is sacked it doesn’t solve the problem and the replacement will have to deal with the same issue. He will find himself facing the same poll before long.

Yes exactly the problem is Gao. The bad owner we have makes your point perfectly true. Had it not been for Ralph working miracles, under rediculous conditions we would have been down.
[Post edited 24 Feb 2021 0:04]

Poll: Would you like Ings to come back?

Is Ralph’s time up at Saints on 23:04 - Feb 23 with 2243 viewsA1079

A very valid point SOG.

If Ralph goes, then what?

We get someone else in and they may have a purple patch or two but if the underlying problems still remain then that person will face the same. It is hard to know what element of our problems are the manager or the players etc when we have known for several seasons that there are underlying issues with an owner or owners who seem indifferent at best and negligent at worse towards the club, the game, the team, the fans and the city. For all the good that Marcus Liebherr brought, Kat has undone by her clumsy and ill thought out partnership with Gao. As far as I know there is no white horse on the horizon bringing a knight to change our structural fortunes, so Ralph and any manager is faced with the same pack of cards to work with.

Where I do have a problem with Ralph is in his tactical shortcomings, his management of subs and his naivety (if that is the right word) in managing games. Is that enough reason to dismiss Ralph - hard to judge when you go back to my first point. Is Ralph a good manager who is hamstrung by the cards he has been dealt or is he not as good as he thinks he is but can hide behind the cards he has been dealt?

I know our underlying problems and the fact that we seemingly face this situation from one season to the next, trying to stumble across the line of survival sits firmly with our owners ineptness. Until we have that resolved then we cannot know whether Ralph or for that matter anyone else is getting a fair crack of the whip!
Is Ralph’s time up at Saints on 23:11 - Feb 23 with 2229 viewssaintmary5

Is Ralph’s time up at Saints on 23:04 - Feb 23 by A1079

A very valid point SOG.

We get someone else in and they may have a purple patch or two but if the underlying problems still remain then that person will face the same. It is hard to know what element of our problems are the manager or the players etc when we have known for several seasons that there are underlying issues with an owner or owners who seem indifferent at best and negligent at worse towards the club, the game, the team, the fans and the city. For all the good that Marcus Liebherr brought, Kat has undone by her clumsy and ill thought out partnership with Gao. As far as I know there is no white horse on the horizon bringing a knight to change our structural fortunes, so Ralph and any manager is faced with the same pack of cards to work with.

Where I do have a problem with Ralph is in his tactical shortcomings, his management of subs and his naivety (if that is the right word) in managing games. Is that enough reason to dismiss Ralph - hard to judge when you go back to my first point. Is Ralph a good manager who is hamstrung by the cards he has been dealt or is he not as good as he thinks he is but can hide behind the cards he has been dealt?

I know our underlying problems and the fact that we seemingly face this situation from one season to the next, trying to stumble across the line of survival sits firmly with our owners ineptness. Until we have that resolved then we cannot know whether Ralph or for that matter anyone else is getting a fair crack of the whip!

Agree that people are delusional if they believe Ralph is the problem! We have a good team worthy of place in premier league. Have faith because Ralph has assembled a very good team worthy of top 10 place in premier league.
Is Ralph’s time up at Saints on 23:18 - Feb 23 with 2203 viewsdirk_doone

I've still got faith in him. He's just been incredibly unlucky with injuries and terrible refereeing.

I'd only lose faith in him if we reached the FA Cup Final and.........................................................................................................................................

he replaced Forster with McCarthy.
[Post edited 24 Feb 2021 9:36]

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Is Ralph’s time up at Saints on 23:19 - Feb 23 with 2190 viewsSaintsforeverj

Is Ralph’s time up at Saints on 23:11 - Feb 23 by saintmary5

Agree that people are delusional if they believe Ralph is the problem! We have a good team worthy of place in premier league. Have faith because Ralph has assembled a very good team worthy of top 10 place in premier league.

I think the vast majority of Saints fans know that it's not the manager. All our managers come in with optimism, then they progressively start losing the plot as they search out an impossible way to find a solution with their hands tied. They soon realise the harsh reality of managing Saints. The problem is Gao, he needs to go and until he does, things won't ever change. Lowest net spend, even lower than WBA and Burnley! I mean most of us can surely see where the problem is. And actually we might need to go down before it ever happens as the club is currently expensive. Sunderland just been taken over, Wrexham etc because they are a lot cheaper.

Poll: Would you like Ings to come back?

Login to get fewer ads

Is Ralph’s time up at Saints on 23:23 - Feb 23 with 2169 viewsDorsetIan

Is Ralph’s time up at Saints on 23:04 - Feb 23 by A1079

A very valid point SOG.

That's a good point about the tactics.

There was always a bit of a question mark over his tactical decisions, going back to some of those early games where he insisted on playing players out of position.

I think his subs have got a bit better in that he makes them earlier now, but looking at today's game, what was the plan for the missing KWP? It looked as though we were playing a back four but which shifted to a back three when Bertrand went forward on the left. But there then didn't seem to be anyone covering the space that was opened up on the right. Turned out to be tactically suicidal in the end.

Is Ralph’s time up at Saints on 23:57 - Feb 23 with 2128 viewssaintmary5

I have to say that for Ralph's first year and half I had concerns about his tactics based on belief of lack of knowledge of Premier League but he adapted extremely well based on the squad he has. Beyond question he is an adaptive manager and given the squad available when injuries and other issues present themselves he takes time to adapt to those situations. For that reason I believe he will overcome the possibility of relegation for Southhampton.

Having said that I do think other higher clubs will target him and we will be lucky to hold on to him! For once I hope we can keep one of the best managers we have had since dare I say it (Koeman)?
Is Ralph’s time up at Saints on 07:27 - Feb 24 with 1950 viewsKennington

He is a bit though isn’t he? As problematic as our owners and players are, far weaker premier league teams have done better than the run we’re on. Since Boxing Day, I make it five points out of 33. That’s 1 win, 2 draws and 8 defeats. That eleven games is more than a quarter of the season so it is statistically relevant. Even with injuries if that sequence carried on, for a whole season we’d be relegated a month or two before the end of the season.

Kat and Gao are of course the real reason why we don’t have more than two full backs, but Ralph should have looked at things in January and said to himself we can’t keep this crazy pressing game going, let’s get back to basics and grind out a result. He didn’t though. He has also been unable to in-still any type of team spirit and togetherness and actually that’s got worse as heads seem to drop around the 46th minute. So at very least I’d be looking to Ralph to sort that out. It’s looking more and more that RH is waiting for the sack and a pay off. Hope I’m wrong and he can turn it around.

Poll: What age is too old for a striker?

Is Ralph’s time up at Saints on 08:21 - Feb 24 with 1835 viewsCenturion

I think he has to change tactics to grind out a few ugly draws and wins.

We've got to steady the nerves and hope Fulham lose form.
Is Ralph’s time up at Saints on 08:24 - Feb 24 with 1831 viewsButty101

Is Ralph’s time up at Saints on 07:27 - Feb 24 by Kennington

He is a bit though isn’t he? As problematic as our owners and players are, far weaker premier league teams have done better than the run we’re on. Since Boxing Day, I make it five points out of 33. That’s 1 win, 2 draws and 8 defeats. That eleven games is more than a quarter of the season so it is statistically relevant. Even with injuries if that sequence carried on, for a whole season we’d be relegated a month or two before the end of the season.

Kat and Gao are of course the real reason why we don’t have more than two full backs, but Ralph should have looked at things in January and said to himself we can’t keep this crazy pressing game going, let’s get back to basics and grind out a result. He didn’t though. He has also been unable to in-still any type of team spirit and togetherness and actually that’s got worse as heads seem to drop around the 46th minute. So at very least I’d be looking to Ralph to sort that out. It’s looking more and more that RH is waiting for the sack and a pay off. Hope I’m wrong and he can turn it around.

Agree Ralph has not adjusted. 1 point from 8 games is shocking. Ralph is not very adaptable. We could of easily lost by 5 in the end as the side capitulated yet again. Game for game on last season we are now several points behind.
What’s saving Ralph is the club is skint. That said the facup could save the season but we need quick points so we can take the cup seriously

Poll: Has the Ross Stewart deal already paid off as Nick says?

Is Ralph’s time up at Saints on 08:54 - Feb 24 with 1783 viewsSadoldgit

Is Ralph’s time up at Saints on 07:27 - Feb 24 by Kennington

Why drag Kat into this? She only owns 20%.
Attempts were made to bring in cover at full back level but Williams was not available and the other player didn’t want to play at full back. The list didn’t seem to be that long. The main problem seems to be that both back up full backs aren’t fancied to do a job and were sent out on loan to get game time but are still sitting on benches. Once it was apparent that no one was coming in it seems crazy that Valery was allowed to leave. Gao’s fault or the Boards? How bad must Ramsey be if he can’t get a game at RB when we are down to the bare bones?
Is Ralph’s time up at Saints on 09:06 - Feb 24 with 1760 viewsButty101

Is Ralph’s time up at Saints on 08:54 - Feb 24 by Sadoldgit

Attempts were made to bring in cover at full back level but Williams was not available and the other player didn’t want to play at full back. The list didn’t seem to be that long. The main problem seems to be that both back up full backs aren’t fancied to do a job and were sent out on loan to get game time but are still sitting on benches. Once it was apparent that no one was coming in it seems crazy that Valery was allowed to leave. Gao’s fault or the Boards? How bad must Ramsey be if he can’t get a game at RB when we are down to the bare bones?

She has to take some reasonability. Rather than wait and sell to someone who could invest in the club like she promised. She sold to some one who has a very shady pasted and couldnt afford to buy us out right.

Poll: Has the Ross Stewart deal already paid off as Nick says?

Is Ralph’s time up at Saints on 09:50 - Feb 24 with 1680 viewsMytchettSaint

Is Ralph’s time up at Saints on 09:06 - Feb 24 by Butty101

She has to take some reasonability. Rather than wait and sell to someone who could invest in the club like she promised. She sold to some one who has a very shady pasted and couldnt afford to buy us out right.

Absolutely,
She said she wanted to sell to someone who could take us to the next level. Most of us assumed stupidly that meant upwards rather than next level skint.

Block 13; Curva Itchen Sud

Is Ralph’s time up at Saints on 09:52 - Feb 24 with 1678 viewsfranniesTache

For those saying Ralph isn't the problem, we've got 7 points from our last 38, we've lost 9-0 twice in 12 months and we've spent close to £50m on new players in the process (getting rid of players many described as "deadwood" on loan or sold).

Also Ralph himself has said he prefers a smaller squad, so should be thriving with the small squad he has.

Now i'm not saying Ralph is a bad manager, i don't think he is, but if he takes credit when we go top surely he has to take the blame when we hit relegation form?
Is Ralph’s time up at Saints on 09:53 - Feb 24 with 1677 viewsNewdawn2014

Time for a new owner with his/her own accessible finances , I think Ralph has been so professional given the crap fest hes been through with little or no money, so its the team that needs to show up.

So NO i think Ralph is exactly who we need right now.
Is Ralph’s time up at Saints on 09:59 - Feb 24 with 1663 viewsRon11

Is Ralph’s time up at Saints on 23:23 - Feb 23 by DorsetIan

That's a good point about the tactics.

There was always a bit of a question mark over his tactical decisions, going back to some of those early games where he insisted on playing players out of position.

I think his subs have got a bit better in that he makes them earlier now, but looking at today's game, what was the plan for the missing KWP? It looked as though we were playing a back four but which shifted to a back three when Bertrand went forward on the left. But there then didn't seem to be anyone covering the space that was opened up on the right. Turned out to be tactically suicidal in the end.

Marcelo Bielsa said after the game that Saints had one full back who was going forward but not defending, and the other full back was trying to defend but not going forward....
Is Ralph’s time up at Saints on 10:03 - Feb 24 with 1654 viewsKennington

Kat owns 1/5th of the club. Put as an analogy in terms of St Mary’s capacity, Kat owns the equivalent of the Northam and Gao all the other stands. So using that analogy, don’t you think that Kat owns enough even as a minority stakeholder to have a strong voice in the direction of the club?

As to Williams and full backs, we could all write a book about the players we haven’t signed. It’s only the players we have that matters. Going into this season with such light options is either the owners’ fault for not providing funds or Ralph’s for not spending if there were funds.
[Post edited 24 Feb 2021 10:06]

Poll: What age is too old for a striker?

Is Ralph’s time up at Saints on 10:10 - Feb 24 with 1634 viewsdirk_doone

Ramsay did get a game at RB against Man United. We lost 9-0.

I saw somebody on Saintsweb say we should play Ramsay and Jankewitz in our next game. Some people never learn.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55806211

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Is Ralph’s time up at Saints on 10:21 - Feb 24 with 1609 viewsDorsetIan

Is Ralph’s time up at Saints on 09:59 - Feb 24 by Ron11

Marcelo Bielsa said after the game that Saints had one full back who was going forward but not defending, and the other full back was trying to defend but not going forward....

That's one of the problems I think. Managers are astute as Bielsa can see what's going on and know how to exploit it.

The only question for me was why he waited until half time to do this and why Ralph didn't realise at half time how exposed our right side was and do something about it?

Is Ralph’s time up at Saints on 13:24 - Feb 24 with 1513 viewsPoirot

I think hes on the slippery slope at the moment due to a lack of tactics and basics like marking being awol. Unless the dressing room is gone, there is little point in removing him now. Out of season gets the best managers available.
Is Ralph’s time up at Saints on 13:36 - Feb 24 with 1496 viewsSadoldgit

Is Ralph’s time up at Saints on 10:10 - Feb 24 by dirk_doone

Ramsay did get a game at RB against Man United. We lost 9-0.

I saw somebody on Saintsweb say we should play Ramsay and Jankewitz in our next game. Some people never learn.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55806211

He wasn’t the reason we lost the game and, under the circumstances didn’t do too badly. Do you think he would have been worse than Bednarek yesterday? As for Jankewitz, we have only seen him for a few seconds so don’t you think it is a bit early to write him off?
Is Ralph’s time up at Saints on 13:46 - Feb 24 with 1490 views1885_SFC

With Ralph having just signed a new 4-year contract, I can't see the board giving him the push anytime soon... not unless there is a major changing room coup among the players. I don't particularly see any signs of that with most players giving positive remarks post-match on TV and in the Press about Ralph and how he wants us to play.

That leaves the board/owner being "happy" with where we finish this season. If we finish roughly where we did last season - then I can see the board accepting that, in these financially restrictive & times of Covid, the season will be deemed as "adequate".

Finish just above the drop zone however & questions will undoubtedly be asked. However, I still think he will keep his job because the club has a long term 'plan' of which Ralph is a massive part. More importantly, and as the poll at the top suggests, fans are split 50/50 on whether he stays or goes... and unlike previous seasons in the past when fans were allowed into St Marys, we're not there to boo the team or manager or indeed, show our displeasure to the owner up in the stand!

Old School is Cool

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024