Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Good for you Dave Merrington... 12:51 - Mar 18 with 1710 viewsSonicBoom

The Mail running an article today about figures in football who were aware of the abuse of the boys. Our own Dave Merrington is one of those figures, but thankfully and to his credit he comes out rather well as he took action.

I still don't know how this happened at Saints. I was a kid around that time and like most people had trials for the club. I knew no one in or around the club but I remember the name Bob Higgins was joked about as a kiddie fiddler at my school. So if kids not even attached to the club knew his reputation how the hell did people inside the game not know it too....

Anyway here is what they say about DM....

The former Burnley player and Southampton coach is one of the few within football who tackled sexual abuse.

He ensured serial abuser Bob Higgins was drummed out of the Dell and stood trial.

The report relates how, on the way back from a youth-team game at Wimbledon, Merrington heard young player Dean Radford being ridiculed about abuse at the hands of Higgins.

He waited for the chance to speak to Radford about it, then confronted Higgins – and did not flinch when the abuser became threatening and aggressive.

But because of flaws in the legal case, Higgins was acquitted of abusing Radford.

Higgins went on to abuse more boys at Peterborough United.
Good for you Dave Merrington... on 18:56 - Mar 18 with 1495 viewsgreen

Dave Merrington is a thoroughly decent man.
Good for you Dave Merrington... on 19:59 - Mar 18 with 1439 viewsSonicBoom

Good for you Dave Merrington... on 18:56 - Mar 18 by green

Dave Merrington is a thoroughly decent man.

Indeed.
What is interesting is my post had 267 views and so far you are the only one to make a comment.
If the post had concerned pompey it would probably have run to 6 or 7 pages by now...
Good for you Dave Merrington... on 20:27 - Mar 18 with 1403 viewskernow

Another smally boy merchant outed and denounced.
Pity the appropriate legal i's and t's weren't dotted and crossed.
All credit to Dave Merrington for confronting the dirty old pervert.
Good for you Dave Merrington... on 20:31 - Mar 18 with 1396 viewsdarthvader

Good for big Dave . .

Standing up to a coward .

keep the faith coyr

Good for you Dave Merrington... on 21:54 - Mar 18 with 1325 viewsA1079

As they say Sonic, for evil to succeed it takes good people to do nothing (or words to that effect). Dave Merrington is a good guy. Sometimes we don't make enough noise about the quiet, unassuming decent people that don't look for reward or recognition but just do the right thing. On this forum today 2 decent people in our game and linked to Saints have been mentioned - Dave Merrington and Nigel Adkins.
Good for you Dave Merrington... on 22:37 - Mar 18 with 1296 viewsGennaro_Contaldo

Well done Dave Merrington - I hadn't read that news but what a decent man. Unflinching makes it sound like it got physical and Dave ironed him out. I hope that did happen.

The UI; For the sophisticated gentleman
Poll: Where will Saints finish in the 2018/19 season

Good for you Dave Merrington... on 23:06 - Mar 18 with 1264 views1885_SFC

Good for you Dave Merrington... on 22:37 - Mar 18 by Gennaro_Contaldo

Well done Dave Merrington - I hadn't read that news but what a decent man. Unflinching makes it sound like it got physical and Dave ironed him out. I hope that did happen.

Me too. Wouldn't that be great.

I enjoy Merrington on Radio Solent when he's commentating on our games. His passion for the game still always shines through. Top bloke.

Old School is Cool

Good for you Dave Merrington... on 23:31 - Mar 18 with 1251 viewsBicester_North

Met Dave a couple of times at away matches when he’s travelled to commentate. A really nice bloke and had a tough reputation as a coach, so like others have said, thankfully he was around to help stop that sick f*ck Higgins

One person who doesn’t come out of this review well is Ted Bates, who it says angrily threatened the head teacher with legal action for raising the alarm about Higgins
[Post edited 18 Mar 2021 23:39]

Poll: Who do you feel most sorry for

Login to get fewer ads

Good for you Dave Merrington... on 11:11 - Mar 19 with 1118 viewsSonicBoom

And Geoff Hurst. Was head of youth at Chelsea and refused to cooperate with the investigation in any way.
But he's a national hero so he gets away with it.....
Good for you Dave Merrington... on 16:59 - Mar 19 with 1020 viewskingolaf

Dave Merrington is a decent man. It seems like the club didn’t have enough like him at that sad time.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024