Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Today's "Derby" or was it one 21:52 - Mar 20 with 2057 viewskingslandstand1

As much as I wanted to beat them today to progress as I would against anyone that plays Saints, I was also a bit nervous as they are a local "rival" and I want to make sure we remain the top club on the south coast, but I certainly don't build it up as aderby game as maybe the press do

Therefore found this a good read and pretty good summary at the end

https://cfbfootball.com/2021/03/20/the-is-it-a-derby-derby-a-beginners-guide-to-
Today's "Derby" or was it one on 21:55 - Mar 20 with 2043 viewsBison

Did not read it but my mentality was have a rolly half way thru ,

Told my dad to relax

gave my son an option on a new bike if redmond scored a hatrick

no , they not a rival. we much better.

Trust no one in a circus.
Poll: Who do you blame for saints not winning every game ?

Today's "Derby" or was it one on 21:56 - Mar 20 with 2039 viewsSaintsforeverj

It's a derby of sorts and the game has extra spice, but there is only one south coast Derby.
[Post edited 20 Mar 2021 21:57]

Poll: Would you like Ings to come back?

Today's "Derby" or was it one on 22:37 - Mar 20 with 1982 viewsGennaro_Contaldo

It's not THE derby for us, but there is now something else about it mainly as their younger fan base seem to be obsessed and irritating tw*ts.

The UI; For the sophisticated gentleman
Poll: Where will Saints finish in the 2018/19 season

Today's "Derby" or was it one on 22:54 - Mar 20 with 1959 viewsdirk_doone

Because of geography it's inevitably more of a derby for them than it is for us. We are 40 miles apart. Our nearest potential rival is Portsmouth, just 18 miles away; their next nearest potential rival after us is Swindon, 68 miles away.

But, sharing the south coast is definitely a factor in the rivalry. Even though Bournemouth and Brighton are nearly 100 miles apart, they still see them as rivals. Portsmouth and Plymouth, 172 miles apart, have a similar south coast rivalry.

"According to a recent poll named 'The League of Love and Hate' in August 2019, Bournemouth supporters named near neighbours Southampton to be their biggest rivals, with Portsmouth, Brighton & Hove Albion and Reading following."
[Post edited 20 Mar 2021 23:01]

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Today's "Derby" or was it one on 09:05 - Mar 21 with 1812 viewskingslandstand1

Today's "Derby" or was it one on 22:37 - Mar 20 by Gennaro_Contaldo

It's not THE derby for us, but there is now something else about it mainly as their younger fan base seem to be obsessed and irritating tw*ts.

Pretty good summary
Today's "Derby" or was it one on 10:12 - Mar 21 with 1758 viewsSadoldgit

Crystal Palace v Derby is supposed to be a derby now. Nonsense. Swansea v Cardiff? Just two Welsh teams playing each other. Saints v Bournemouth is no more a local derby than Saints v Brighton. Manu v Liverpool is a massive match in terms of rivalry but no one calls that a derby.
Today's "Derby" or was it one on 10:37 - Mar 21 with 1729 viewsSaintNick

Today's "Derby" or was it one on 10:12 - Mar 21 by Sadoldgit

Crystal Palace v Derby is supposed to be a derby now. Nonsense. Swansea v Cardiff? Just two Welsh teams playing each other. Saints v Bournemouth is no more a local derby than Saints v Brighton. Manu v Liverpool is a massive match in terms of rivalry but no one calls that a derby.

Swansea & Cardiff is a derby, like Southampton & Pompey it is more than just a football thing, the two city's hate each other

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Today's "Derby" or was it one on 11:33 - Mar 21 with 1676 viewsRednWight

Heard some idiot pundit a while back refer to West Ham v Villa as the claret and blue derby
Cretin

The older I get the better I was
Poll: Cortese. Would we have him back

Login to get fewer ads

Today's "Derby" or was it one on 11:50 - Mar 21 with 1668 viewsdirk_doone

As far as Leeds' fans are concerned, although United fans might think otherwise, their biggest rivalry is with Man United. They've had a real chip on their shoulders since Cantona left them for United and they call them the Scummers.

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=scummer
[Post edited 21 Mar 2021 12:00]

Today's "Derby" or was it one on 12:02 - Mar 21 with 1658 views1885_SFC

Just to add: Bournemouth moved from Hampshire to Dorset in 1974 when the government redrew county boundaries.

Old School is Cool

Today's "Derby" or was it one on 12:34 - Mar 21 with 1629 viewsdirk_doone

Today's "Derby" or was it one on 12:02 - Mar 21 by 1885_SFC

Just to add: Bournemouth moved from Hampshire to Dorset in 1974 when the government redrew county boundaries.

It could be named the Hants & Dorset derby after the bus company.

https://www.videoscene.co.uk/hants-and-dorset-100-celebrating-100-years-1916-201

Today's "Derby" or was it one on 18:06 - Mar 21 with 1515 viewsSaintNick

Today's "Derby" or was it one on 12:34 - Mar 21 by dirk_doone

It could be named the Hants & Dorset derby after the bus company.

https://www.videoscene.co.uk/hants-and-dorset-100-celebrating-100-years-1916-201

Like buses none came along for ages and then we have had a rush of them

Today's "Derby" or was it one on 19:47 - Mar 21 with 1463 viewsSadoldgit

Today's "Derby" or was it one on 10:37 - Mar 21 by SaintNick

Swansea & Cardiff is a derby, like Southampton & Pompey it is more than just a football thing, the two city's hate each other

You can hate each other without it being a derby. Surely it has to be about proximity?
Today's "Derby" or was it one on 20:58 - Mar 21 with 1422 viewsSaintNick

Today's "Derby" or was it one on 19:47 - Mar 21 by Sadoldgit

You can hate each other without it being a derby. Surely it has to be about proximity?

Swansea is about 40 miles from Cardiff so not that far and are basically the nearest clubs to each other

Today's "Derby" or was it one on 22:01 - Mar 21 with 1383 viewsBicester_North

Today's "Derby" or was it one on 19:47 - Mar 21 by Sadoldgit

Amazed a football supporter doesn’t know Cardiff Swansea is a Derby. It’s one of the biggest in the UK

Poll: Who do you feel most sorry for

Today's "Derby" or was it one on 22:28 - Mar 21 with 1358 viewsGennaro_Contaldo

Today's "Derby" or was it one on 22:01 - Mar 21 by Bicester_North

Amazed a football supporter doesn’t know Cardiff Swansea is a Derby. It’s one of the biggest in the UK

It's a properly nasty derby too. Celtic v Rangers, Newcastle v Sunderland, Blues v Villa, Millwall v West Ham ... proper derbies. Saints v Pompey is up there along with Forest v Derby and so on. But the point is that to say Swansea and Cardiff is not a derby is deluded, it's huge.

Today's "Derby" or was it one on 22:49 - Mar 21 with 1345 viewsSaintNick

Today's "Derby" or was it one on 22:28 - Mar 21 by Gennaro_Contaldo

It's a properly nasty derby too. Celtic v Rangers, Newcastle v Sunderland, Blues v Villa, Millwall v West Ham ... proper derbies. Saints v Pompey is up there along with Forest v Derby and so on. But the point is that to say Swansea and Cardiff is not a derby is deluded, it's huge.

No ones mentioned the Steel City derby, Sheffield United V Wednesday

Today's "Derby" or was it one on 23:42 - Mar 21 with 1316 viewsGennaro_Contaldo

Today's "Derby" or was it one on 22:49 - Mar 21 by SaintNick

No ones mentioned the Steel City derby, Sheffield United V Wednesday

Good shout. Burnley v Blackburn is underrated as well.

Today's "Derby" or was it one on 09:33 - Mar 22 with 1231 viewsMytchettSaint

The Bournemouth situation makes me think of West London. Brentford fans hate QPR and see them as their natural derby, QPR in turn are a bit dismissive of Brentford and see Chelsea as their true derby game. While Chelsea see that rivalry as more one sided and have Fulham as their derby game but absolutely hate Spurs.

Block 13; Curva Itchen Sud

Today's "Derby" or was it one on 09:38 - Mar 22 with 1223 viewsSaintNick

Today's "Derby" or was it one on 09:33 - Mar 22 by MytchettSaint

The Bournemouth situation makes me think of West London. Brentford fans hate QPR and see them as their natural derby, QPR in turn are a bit dismissive of Brentford and see Chelsea as their true derby game. While Chelsea see that rivalry as more one sided and have Fulham as their derby game but absolutely hate Spurs.

I pity some of the London so called Derby's, West Ham & Millwall is one I can see as it is an east London north v south of the river thing, Spurs & Arsenal you can see as well.

But Chelsea have no real Derby as such, Fulham have rarely been on their radar and given that most Chelsea fans live out in Surrey and Berkshire it is not a local thing either

Today's "Derby" or was it one on 14:34 - Mar 22 with 1155 viewsSadoldgit

Today's "Derby" or was it one on 22:28 - Mar 21 by Gennaro_Contaldo

I don’t dispute the fact that it is huge, just that there is a difference between rivalry (Palace and Brighton) and a true derby. Surely once you start getting up to a distance of around 50 miles the word “local” becomes redundant?
Today's "Derby" or was it one on 16:46 - Mar 22 with 1106 viewsgrumpy

The atmosphere at Saints v Pompey games is toxic.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024