Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
One of the greatest man-made 'things' ever created 07:35 - Mar 27 with 2006 viewsJaySaint

More so Dave Gilmour's solo

Poll: Who is responsible for Liverpool's defeat?

One of the greatest man-made 'things' ever created on 14:51 - Mar 27 with 1875 viewskingslandstand1

Def one of his better pieces and there have been plenty of those with the "Black Strat" being used on this

Recently made a few bob for climate change charities, though not so sure that will pursuade the Chinese and Russians to change their ways to prevent that

https://www.christies.com/auctions/the-david-gilmour-collection
[Post edited 27 Mar 2021 14:52]
One of the greatest man-made 'things' ever created on 14:51 - Mar 27 with 1873 viewsBLEEDRED

Would love to see him play St. Marys
Top 3 Acts to Play St Marys
1 Dave Gilmore
2 Metallica
3 Guns & Roses
One of the greatest man-made 'things' ever created on 14:55 - Mar 27 with 1866 viewskingslandstand1

One of the greatest man-made 'things' ever created on 14:51 - Mar 27 by BLEEDRED

Would love to see him play St. Marys
Top 3 Acts to Play St Marys
1 Dave Gilmore
2 Metallica
3 Guns & Roses

Throw Brian Johnson in with that lot, though somehow think Metallica would upset a few neighbours
One of the greatest man-made 'things' ever created on 15:00 - Mar 27 with 1865 viewsBerber

I have Dark Side of the Moon and Meddle on my phone (listening to them at least once a week), and saw them live several times at the time, but sadly, find their modern performances excruciatingly tedious, pedestrian and dull. They seem to have lost all sense of timing to go along with Gilmour's self indulgence. But that is just my opinion.
One of the greatest man-made 'things' ever created on 15:30 - Mar 27 with 1857 viewsBLEEDRED

Your probably right both Dave and Roger have big ego's, but put on a good show, but the early Pink Floyd were a class act
One of the greatest man-made 'things' ever created on 17:15 - Mar 27 with 1818 viewskentsouthampton

This is my favourite version of that song, this is a great cover.

One of the greatest man-made 'things' ever created on 21:27 - Mar 27 with 1746 viewskingslandstand1

One of the greatest man-made 'things' ever created on 15:30 - Mar 27 by BLEEDRED

Your probably right both Dave and Roger have big ego's, but put on a good show, but the early Pink Floyd were a class act

By early are you talking Relics? I play that with See Emily Play and Arnold Layne etc quite a lot even now, though not so keen on Saucerful of Secrets etc. Best track has to be Shine on you Crazy Diamond though
One of the greatest man-made 'things' ever created on 21:48 - Mar 27 with 1741 viewsBLEEDRED

One of the greatest man-made 'things' ever created on 21:27 - Mar 27 by kingslandstand1

By early are you talking Relics? I play that with See Emily Play and Arnold Layne etc quite a lot even now, though not so keen on Saucerful of Secrets etc. Best track has to be Shine on you Crazy Diamond though

Everything up to and including Dark Side of the moon, after that some good stuff but a bit hit-and-miss
Login to get fewer ads

One of the greatest man-made 'things' ever created on 11:45 - Mar 28 with 1641 viewsSadoldgit

I have Relics and Wish You Were Here but find most of their music sends me to sleep. Great for Potheads though! From the early 70’s ELP, Yes and Genesis were producing much better music if you like something to make your ears prick up.
[Post edited 28 Mar 2021 13:06]
One of the greatest man-made 'things' ever created on 12:03 - Mar 28 with 1633 viewsBerber

I enjoyed Yes and ELP at the time, not so much Genesis. I was more into the blues influencers than progressive, Free (and later derivatives), the Clapton variants etc. though not averse to Black Sabbath and Deep Purple. If my memory serves correctly (probably not) I saw Free, Deep Purple and Dr Hook all on the same bill, early 70s.

I also saw Ginger Baker's Airplane and an early Shakin Stevens on the university union circuit. One of the girls in my class complained that she got the clap from Stevens, and was consequently given wide berth for the rest of the year.
One of the greatest man-made 'things' ever created on 12:59 - Mar 28 with 1611 viewskingslandstand1

One of the greatest man-made 'things' ever created on 12:03 - Mar 28 by Berber

I enjoyed Yes and ELP at the time, not so much Genesis. I was more into the blues influencers than progressive, Free (and later derivatives), the Clapton variants etc. though not averse to Black Sabbath and Deep Purple. If my memory serves correctly (probably not) I saw Free, Deep Purple and Dr Hook all on the same bill, early 70s.

I also saw Ginger Baker's Airplane and an early Shakin Stevens on the university union circuit. One of the girls in my class complained that she got the clap from Stevens, and was consequently given wide berth for the rest of the year.

From a Sabbath point of view (yes, saw them and others you have mentioned), good documentary "9 lives of Ozzy Osbourne" shown recently on BBC4 which is interesting and what a life he's had, a clue in the programme title, and may be available on catch up
One of the greatest man-made 'things' ever created on 13:09 - Mar 28 with 1604 viewsSadoldgit

One of the greatest man-made 'things' ever created on 12:03 - Mar 28 by Berber

I went through. Deep Purple Black Sabbath Groundhogs etc phase back in the 70s too. Now I usually only play Led Zeppelin and Yes from those days. I used to play albums to death and find it difficult to listen to many again.
One of the greatest man-made 'things' ever created on 13:40 - Mar 28 with 1585 viewsBerber

One of the greatest man-made 'things' ever created on 12:59 - Mar 28 by kingslandstand1

From a Sabbath point of view (yes, saw them and others you have mentioned), good documentary "9 lives of Ozzy Osbourne" shown recently on BBC4 which is interesting and what a life he's had, a clue in the programme title, and may be available on catch up

A great performer in his pomp. I guess they all had to grow up (or grow old) eventually. I have been largely disappointed with Paul Rogers career. Such a good blues voice but never really hit the heights he did with Free (Free Live on my phone too). But, eventually others fill the void. My tastes have largely mellowed, and the rest of my phone selections are made up of stuff like Adele, Mary Coughlan, David Grey, Stereophonics, oh, and The Who of course.
One of the greatest man-made 'things' ever created on 06:49 - Mar 29 with 1488 viewsJaySaint

After watching a bit of Flloyd, I re-visited Zeppelin!

What a front man Robert Plant was, along with Jimmy Page strutting his stuff!

Poll: Who is responsible for Liverpool's defeat?

One of the greatest man-made 'things' ever created on 20:39 - Mar 29 with 1393 views1885_SFC

I'm a fan of Floyd (especially their earlier stuff), but if we're talking tunes which physically make the hairs stand up on the back of your neck... then listen to Pete's opening guitar riff on this. Never fails to send shivers down my spine...

Old School is Cool

One of the greatest man-made 'things' ever created on 21:07 - Mar 29 with 1388 viewsBicester_North

One of the greatest man-made 'things' ever created on 20:39 - Mar 29 by 1885_SFC

I'm a fan of Floyd (especially their earlier stuff), but if we're talking tunes which physically make the hairs stand up on the back of your neck... then listen to Pete's opening guitar riff on this. Never fails to send shivers down my spine...

What a track that is

Poll: Who do you feel most sorry for

One of the greatest man-made 'things' ever created on 21:29 - Mar 29 with 1369 views1885_SFC

One of the greatest man-made 'things' ever created on 21:07 - Mar 29 by Bicester_North

What a track that is

Love that track. Always been one of my favourites of theirs - especially live.

Old School is Cool

One of the greatest man-made 'things' ever created on 22:16 - Mar 29 with 1351 viewsdirk_doone

I saw Pink Floyd in 1969, playing songs from Piper at the Gates of Dawn and Saucerful of Secrets. They were wonderful. That's how I like to remember them. Relics was the last album of theirs that I unreservedly liked. I bought Dark Side of the Moon when it came out on vinyl but I still preferred their early stuff.

I still go to concerts of musicians I liked back in the 60s and 70s. But, in the case of Pink Floyd, I'd rather not. They were just so good in their early days that it would be a shame to spoil the memories.

Four weeks before I saw Pink Floyd, I saw John Mayall, with Mick Taylor on guitar, playing songs from Blues from Laurel Canyon, at the same venue - Portsmouth Guildhall. He was excellent. I made the mistake of going back to see him there again not long before the lockdown. He was a broken, bitter man, sitting at a little table in the lobby trying to sell his CDs before the concert. I was the only person even talking to him. I felt sorry for him. We had seats in the centre of the front row. My wife, who'd never seen him before, thought he was rubbish and she wasn't far wrong. He was just going through the motions. I've seen similar performances from the Eagles, the Beach Boys and Eric Clapton at the O2 and Royal Albert Hall. They were all on auto-pilot.
[Post edited 29 Mar 2021 22:26]

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

One of the greatest man-made 'things' ever created on 22:23 - Mar 29 with 1347 views1885_SFC

One of the greatest man-made 'things' ever created on 22:16 - Mar 29 by dirk_doone

I saw Pink Floyd in 1969, playing songs from Piper at the Gates of Dawn and Saucerful of Secrets. They were wonderful. That's how I like to remember them. Relics was the last album of theirs that I unreservedly liked. I bought Dark Side of the Moon when it came out on vinyl but I still preferred their early stuff.

I still go to concerts of musicians I liked back in the 60s and 70s. But, in the case of Pink Floyd, I'd rather not. They were just so good in their early days that it would be a shame to spoil the memories.

Four weeks before I saw Pink Floyd, I saw John Mayall, with Mick Taylor on guitar, playing songs from Blues from Laurel Canyon, at the same venue - Portsmouth Guildhall. He was excellent. I made the mistake of going back to see him there again not long before the lockdown. He was a broken, bitter man, sitting at a little table in the lobby trying to sell his CDs before the concert. I was the only person even talking to him. I felt sorry for him. We had seats in the centre of the front row. My wife, who'd never seen him before, thought he was rubbish and she wasn't far wrong. He was just going through the motions. I've seen similar performances from the Eagles, the Beach Boys and Eric Clapton at the O2 and Royal Albert Hall. They were all on auto-pilot.

Specially for you then dirk...

Old School is Cool

One of the greatest man-made 'things' ever created on 22:44 - Mar 29 with 1323 viewsSadoldgit

One of the greatest man-made 'things' ever created on 22:16 - Mar 29 by dirk_doone

I saw Anderson, Rabin and Wakeman in concert playing Yes classics in Brighton a couple of years back and they were excellent. I saw Carl Palmer (ELP) with his three piece band in a tiny venue a few years back and he played his heart out. I saw Lloyd Cole play a solo acoustic set a couple of years ago and he gave it his all. I’ve seen Fleetwood Mac several times from the 70’s up to the last tour with the Rumours line up and they have always given it 100%. I don’t think that they all just go through the motions.
One of the greatest man-made 'things' ever created on 23:31 - Mar 29 with 1308 viewsericofarabia

I was luckier with my last gig pre lockdown, seeing Steve Hillage and Gong in Liverpool, on his 1st tour since I had last seen him nearly 40 years previously!

He and the band were absolutely phenomenal, and put everything into the performance and they crowd paid them back likewise. It was truly one of the best gigs I've ever seen.

On the Floyd side of things I saw them at Knebworth mid 70's, my 1st out door gig, and luckily we got their just as the gates were opening early morning after travelling overnight up to Waterloo on the old mail train, and got a great spot near the front. It was an amazing experience, but have heard since they weren't happy as it was beset with tech probs. I have since seen Roger Waters in concert twice, and they were both excellent gigs, and about 90% of the gig was from The Floyd Catalogue.
One of the greatest man-made 'things' ever created on 23:33 - Mar 29 with 1308 viewsdirk_doone

One of the greatest man-made 'things' ever created on 22:44 - Mar 29 by Sadoldgit

I saw Anderson, Rabin and Wakeman in concert playing Yes classics in Brighton a couple of years back and they were excellent. I saw Carl Palmer (ELP) with his three piece band in a tiny venue a few years back and he played his heart out. I saw Lloyd Cole play a solo acoustic set a couple of years ago and he gave it his all. I’ve seen Fleetwood Mac several times from the 70’s up to the last tour with the Rumours line up and they have always given it 100%. I don’t think that they all just go through the motions.

You are dead right there. Fleetwood Mac at the O2 were superb and I've seen many similar great performances from musicians in their 60s and 70s, who were still giving it their all: notably, the Rolling Stones, Bob Dylan, Peter Frampton, Paul McCartney, James Taylor, Neil Young, Crosby, Stills and Nash. But, I'm glad I saw the likes of Jimi Hendrix and the Doors when I did because if they'd still been alive, I can't imagine them doing the same.

One musician you know who'll still be giving it his all in gigs, even when he's in his 80s or 90s is Dave Grohl
[Post edited 29 Mar 2021 23:38]

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

One of the greatest man-made 'things' ever created on 10:13 - Mar 30 with 1253 viewsSadoldgit

I used to work with the guy I’m the late 70’s, early 80’s who was into The Jam, Clash, The Cure etc. He used to take the piss when I told him I was off to a Genesis, Who, Fleetwood Mac concert saying that they were too old and past it. Guess who is going to see the “past it” acts like Paul Weller and The Cure when they tour now? I don’t say anything.
One of the greatest man-made 'things' ever created on 18:36 - Mar 30 with 1216 viewsBerber

One of the greatest man-made 'things' ever created on 10:13 - Mar 30 by Sadoldgit

I used to work with the guy I’m the late 70’s, early 80’s who was into The Jam, Clash, The Cure etc. He used to take the piss when I told him I was off to a Genesis, Who, Fleetwood Mac concert saying that they were too old and past it. Guess who is going to see the “past it” acts like Paul Weller and The Cure when they tour now? I don’t say anything.

I think we were so lucky with the music of the 60s and 70s. So much innovative, good stuff. My first live concert was Geno Washington and the Ram Jam band, I was just a nipper and into Soul big time. The Civic Hall at Guildford had live acts on every other week. Alternate weeks was one of the early discos at The Angel in Godalming. My LI 150 got a fair pounding following the music around the South. I had my helmet, goggles and gloves nicked a few times, but that was just part of the experience. On top of Radio London and Radio Caroline, the choice of new music bursting through was amazing.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024