Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Gao bought club to help China 22:34 - May 6 with 2382 viewsSaintsforeverj

Martin Semmens on Gao Jisheng: “He doesn’t communicate, he doesn’t speak English. He bought the club because he’s an investor in sport, infrastructure, he wanted to develop football in China"

So our owner bought our club, to help China and their government, nothing to do with helping our club or our fans, according to Semmens tonight. Then their government pulled the plug on developing football in China, so it didn't go anywhere. Semmens did confirm Gao wants to sell and something should happen soon, which we all know, but Semmens confirmed.

Hopefully we can find a new owner who is passionate about developing SFC and SFC only.
[Post edited 7 May 2021 0:21]

Poll: Would you like Ings to come back?

Gao bought club to help China on 00:05 - May 7 with 1970 viewsRon11

It still amazes me how the FA allowed it in the first place.
Gao bought club to help China on 07:53 - May 7 with 1821 viewsPaleRider

I can't say I'm surprised - sooner he goes the better.
Gao bought club to help China on 08:30 - May 7 with 1783 viewsGennaro_Contaldo

Absolutely no shock, it was clear as day that was the agenda and when the money "got stuck", again it was clear what was happening. Saints were a tiny pawn in a broader Chinese global strategy that wasn't working for them. Cheers China, what a couple of years you've given the world ...

The UI; For the sophisticated gentleman
Poll: Where will Saints finish in the 2018/19 season

Gao bought club to help China on 09:19 - May 7 with 1744 viewskingslandstand1

I think the biggest shock was that Semmens actually came out with that and the honesty about the main man
Gao bought club to help China on 09:22 - May 7 with 1742 viewsSaintsforeverj

Gao bought club to help China on 09:19 - May 7 by kingslandstand1

I think the biggest shock was that Semmens actually came out with that and the honesty about the main man

Yep, so there we have it, we have an owner who used us for the benefit if the chinese government = terrible owner in my view. Hopefully some are waking up to reality, instead of he is not good, not bad.
[Post edited 7 May 2021 9:23]

Gao bought club to help China on 09:38 - May 7 with 1714 viewsSaintNick

Gao bought club to help China on 09:22 - May 7 by Saintsforeverj

Yep, so there we have it, we have an owner who used us for the benefit if the chinese government = terrible owner in my view. Hopefully some are waking up to reality, instead of he is not good, not bad.
[Post edited 7 May 2021 9:23]

I am not sure why some of you are shocked I have been saying for two years what the situation is and why Gao cannot invest.

To say that it is merely at the behest of the Chinese government is not the whole picture, as I have been telling you all the Chinese government were encouraging those involved in sport to invest in it, they were not demanding it, some are going on as if Gao was ordered to do so.

Gao invested for his own reasons, exactly the same as every other owner in the Premier League have done, the difference between Gao and most of the other owners is that China unlike the USA or Russia etc do not block investment abroad at a whim

So to get all precious about Gao and slag him off is unfair, Gao can't invest but there are plenty of other things he could do, firstly last summer when Hojbjerg was sold for instance he could have kept the money for himself , if you read the full transcript Semmens says we have spent every penny ourselves that has come in.

So all of you don't give me all this shock horror that Gao is some pawn of the Chinese government, if you had gone out and googled the situation as I did, you would have seen for yourself what was happening between China and the West.

Wolves are in the same boat now.

Gao came here to build this club up and in doing so build his own interests up as well, same as every other owner, just a pity that he was stopped from doing so

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Gao bought club to help China on 09:44 - May 7 with 1708 viewsSaintsforeverj

Gao bought club to help China on 09:38 - May 7 by SaintNick

I am not sure why some of you are shocked I have been saying for two years what the situation is and why Gao cannot invest.

To say that it is merely at the behest of the Chinese government is not the whole picture, as I have been telling you all the Chinese government were encouraging those involved in sport to invest in it, they were not demanding it, some are going on as if Gao was ordered to do so.

Gao invested for his own reasons, exactly the same as every other owner in the Premier League have done, the difference between Gao and most of the other owners is that China unlike the USA or Russia etc do not block investment abroad at a whim

So to get all precious about Gao and slag him off is unfair, Gao can't invest but there are plenty of other things he could do, firstly last summer when Hojbjerg was sold for instance he could have kept the money for himself , if you read the full transcript Semmens says we have spent every penny ourselves that has come in.

So all of you don't give me all this shock horror that Gao is some pawn of the Chinese government, if you had gone out and googled the situation as I did, you would have seen for yourself what was happening between China and the West.

Gao came here to build this club up and in doing so build his own interests up as well, same as every other owner, just a pity that he was stopped from doing so

When asked why Gao bought the club Semmens said "because the chinese government asked him to". There is a direct quote. Semmens didn't say it's because he wanted to build up the club. Where is your evidence for that? You are desperately trying to support your earlier views, but most can see that we need Gao out. He bought us because of politics and money. That is not the type of owner I want here.
[Post edited 7 May 2021 9:48]

Gao bought club to help China on 10:01 - May 7 with 1681 viewsA1079

Whatever the reasoning, politics and background to Gao's purchasing of the club (and I don't pretend to understand it all) it has been clear from day one that he was the wrong person to sell to and he has brought nothing to our club, the team or the city or community. He was and is a bad appointment and for that, I lay some of the blame with Kat Liebherr who said that she would only accept someone who would help take the club to the next level. Either she was hoodwinked or her judgement was poor.

Some may contest that Gao has done nothing wrong, but neither has he done anything to progress the club or brought into the city or community (and some owners of other clubs have). Just because he is no worse or not as bad as some owners, does not necessarily mean that that makes him good or acceptable. He isn't and never has been to SFC or Southampton the City.

It is good to hear Semmens giving a straight response.
Login to get fewer ads

Gao bought club to help China on 10:05 - May 7 with 1674 viewsDorsetIan

Nick

I think you are really saying one main thing about Gao and that is that he hasn't 'asset stripped' us, or gone down the route (like the Glazers) of borrowing to buy a club and then shifting the debt to the club itself.

Also, you feel that the personal abuse is uncalled for as Gao's hands were tied by the Chinese policy change.

Is that a fair summary?

If so, I can agree with you. Those things are both true.

As far, as Southampton FC is concerned, however, it still doesn't really change the fact that his period of ownership has not been a positive one. Yes, it could have been worse - things can always be worse - but there isn't too much positive to say. Would you agree with that?

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

Gao bought club to help China on 10:21 - May 7 with 1662 viewsSadoldgit

How many people buy football clubs out of love for that club? We need to understand that this is (big) business and the chance of finding a benign, Saints supporting benefactor are very slim. Do we honestly believe that Marcus spent his childhood dreaming of owning the Saints? By all accounts he had a five year plan and wasn’t in it for the long haul anyway. Gao hasn’t been a successes for us, nor has he been a disaster. Let’s face it, things could have been a lot worse. We must hope and pray that whoever buys him out doesn’t turn into a choice between the devil and the deep blue sea.
Gao bought club to help China on 10:35 - May 7 with 1652 viewsSaintsforeverj

Gao bought club to help China on 10:21 - May 7 by Sadoldgit

How many people buy football clubs out of love for that club? We need to understand that this is (big) business and the chance of finding a benign, Saints supporting benefactor are very slim. Do we honestly believe that Marcus spent his childhood dreaming of owning the Saints? By all accounts he had a five year plan and wasn’t in it for the long haul anyway. Gao hasn’t been a successes for us, nor has he been a disaster. Let’s face it, things could have been a lot worse. We must hope and pray that whoever buys him out doesn’t turn into a choice between the devil and the deep blue sea.

You are being unfair to Marcus, I think. He bought the club when in huge debt. He paid off the debt and provided funds for successive promotions. So you could argue he did buy the club for his love of the club, with the intention of turning us around. Him at Wembley before his death waving his flag next to Pardew, was a lovely image that Gao has never ever replicated. Marcus is a million miles better than Gao.
[Post edited 7 May 2021 10:42]

Gao bought club to help China on 10:43 - May 7 with 1628 viewsPaleRider

Nick - I'm sorry but much of this is utter BS for a number of reasons:

1) Gao's situation is not a novelty - many of us were unhappy from day 1;
2) As far as I can see from the accounts he has not invested a penny into the club - even when he was allowed to!
3) I assume he wasn't forced to buy the club - this was his choice. It is also his choice to make next to zero effort at engaging with the fans;
4) Why was he or any of his stooges not honest about his intentions when he bought the club or at any point since then;
5) The geo-political issues with China are a convenient excuse - none of us know his investment intentions when he bought the club. Your belief is that he intended to invest - my belief is that he didn't. Neither of us can prove our position.

I do agree that at least he hasn't asset stripped but we have been saddled with some expensive debt. Does this make him a good or bad owner - well he's not the worst, that's for sure but is he good - I don't think so.
Gao bought club to help China on 12:01 - May 7 with 1566 viewsSadoldgit

Gao bought club to help China on 10:35 - May 7 by Saintsforeverj

You are being unfair to Marcus, I think. He bought the club when in huge debt. He paid off the debt and provided funds for successive promotions. So you could argue he did buy the club for his love of the club, with the intention of turning us around. Him at Wembley before his death waving his flag next to Pardew, was a lovely image that Gao has never ever replicated. Marcus is a million miles better than Gao.
[Post edited 7 May 2021 10:42]

I’m sure that he did love the club once he bought it but I doubt very much if he knew very much about us until Cortese brought him the investment opportunity. There is a very big difference. Despite the flak that Kat gets from some quarters we also should remember that we had our best finishes under her ownership. We also don’t know how long Marcus would have stayed. Perhaps he would still be here if it wasn’t for his untimely passing, but apparently he had a five year plan and this wasn’t a long turn project for him.
Gao bought club to help China on 12:05 - May 7 with 1553 viewsSaintsforeverj

Gao bought club to help China on 12:01 - May 7 by Sadoldgit

I’m sure that he did love the club once he bought it but I doubt very much if he knew very much about us until Cortese brought him the investment opportunity. There is a very big difference. Despite the flak that Kat gets from some quarters we also should remember that we had our best finishes under her ownership. We also don’t know how long Marcus would have stayed. Perhaps he would still be here if it wasn’t for his untimely passing, but apparently he had a five year plan and this wasn’t a long turn project for him.

Who knows how Marcus would have felt and what he would have done once promoted to the PL. He certainly communicated with fans, he went to games wearing that scarf and he rescued us from oblivian, when we we were in serious debt. For that rescue, when were about to lose our club, I will be forever grateful. It's very possible that he might have invested a bit more to enjoy more success. As for Gao....
[Post edited 7 May 2021 12:06]

Gao bought club to help China on 13:00 - May 7 with 1501 viewsSaintNick

Gao bought club to help China on 10:05 - May 7 by DorsetIan

Nick

I think you are really saying one main thing about Gao and that is that he hasn't 'asset stripped' us, or gone down the route (like the Glazers) of borrowing to buy a club and then shifting the debt to the club itself.

Also, you feel that the personal abuse is uncalled for as Gao's hands were tied by the Chinese policy change.

Is that a fair summary?

If so, I can agree with you. Those things are both true.

As far, as Southampton FC is concerned, however, it still doesn't really change the fact that his period of ownership has not been a positive one. Yes, it could have been worse - things can always be worse - but there isn't too much positive to say. Would you agree with that?

You are right on those two points so we can agree there.

On your point during his period of ownership we have had three seasons in the Premier League where although we went to the wire in the first we didnt get relegated followed by two comfortable season in mid table and we have had two FA Cup semi finals.

Place that in any 5 year segment of our history bar Lawrie McMenemy's tenure from 1976 to 1986 and Gao's stats look quite positive.

So there are plenty of positive things to say, including the fact that we now have a board who do speak directly to the fans and communicate (sometimes) the only negative thing that can be said about Gao is that he hasn't pumped millions in as we had hoped.

Could we have a better owner ? yes of course but are they truly out there, a month ago we would have held up the owners of the BIG Six as the type of people we would want in charge, how things have changed eh !

I try to bring a sense of perspective via this site in a footballing world where the manager was revered 6 months ago for getting us top of the league and in the top 6 and is now being harangued in some quarters for losing a few games, there are parralels to be drawn here between Gao and Hasenhuttl, both have been thwarted by things beyond their control.

As I have said all along show me a better solution and I will agree with you, but no one has solutions just demands that Gao goes, I'm sure he would want to get his money back and do just that, in fact we know he is trying, lets just hope he doesn't read Saints message boards and think "If thats what they think about me then **** em" sell ings sell vestergaard sell Ward Prowse and I get £80 million of my investment back.

Gao bought club to help China on 13:17 - May 7 with 1483 viewsPaleRider

Gao bought club to help China on 13:00 - May 7 by SaintNick

On your point during his period of ownership we have had three seasons in the Premier League where although we went to the wire in the first we didnt get relegated followed by two comfortable season in mid table and we have had two FA Cup semi finals.

Place that in any 5 year segment of our history bar Lawrie McMenemy's tenure from 1976 to 1986 and Gao's stats look quite positive.

So there are plenty of positive things to say, including the fact that we now have a board who do speak directly to the fans and communicate (sometimes) the only negative thing that can be said about Gao is that he hasn't pumped millions in as we had hoped.

Could we have a better owner ? yes of course but are they truly out there, a month ago we would have held up the owners of the BIG Six as the type of people we would want in charge, how things have changed eh !

I try to bring a sense of perspective via this site in a footballing world where the manager was revered 6 months ago for getting us top of the league and in the top 6 and is now being harangued in some quarters for losing a few games, there are parralels to be drawn here between Gao and Hasenhuttl, both have been thwarted by things beyond their control.

As I have said all along show me a better solution and I will agree with you, but no one has solutions just demands that Gao goes, I'm sure he would want to get his money back and do just that, in fact we know he is trying, lets just hope he doesn't read Saints message boards and think "If thats what they think about me then **** em" sell ings sell vestergaard sell Ward Prowse and I get £80 million of my investment back.

Nick - I appreciate you are bringing another perspective; however, I believe that it is factually not correct.

I also agree with the "show me a better solution" comment. Much as I have little faith in Gao's ownership, at least he is the devil we know and he is not asset stripping. The problem is that he is not the right owner to take us forward - at best we will stand still and at worst we will get over-taken - but that is the reality of supporting Saints.
Gao bought club to help China on 14:17 - May 7 with 1441 viewsDorsetIan

Gao bought club to help China on 13:00 - May 7 by SaintNick

For me and I think for most people, it is not about him 'pumping in million'. It's far more the extreme penny pinching that his ownership period has witnessed, which in my opinion is now really starting to show on the pitch.

And it is really very difficult to see much further progress for the club while financial restraints like this are in place, and that just leaves us in constant risk of relegation, which simply by the law of averages, will one day see our luck run out.

It's clearly not easy to run a football club, having to balance sensible business decisions, with buying the right players and having a manager who can get them all playing as a team. But I don't think any good can come from, essentially, a 'sleeping partner' owner, who simply holds a shareholding and does nothing else. All businesses need drive, leader and the possibility for strategic investment. That's all I ask for in a new owner.

Gao bought club to help China on 15:10 - May 7 with 1410 viewsSaintNick

Gao bought club to help China on 14:17 - May 7 by DorsetIan

For me and I think for most people, it is not about him 'pumping in million'. It's far more the extreme penny pinching that his ownership period has witnessed, which in my opinion is now really starting to show on the pitch.

And it is really very difficult to see much further progress for the club while financial restraints like this are in place, and that just leaves us in constant risk of relegation, which simply by the law of averages, will one day see our luck run out.

It's clearly not easy to run a football club, having to balance sensible business decisions, with buying the right players and having a manager who can get them all playing as a team. But I don't think any good can come from, essentially, a 'sleeping partner' owner, who simply holds a shareholding and does nothing else. All businesses need drive, leader and the possibility for strategic investment. That's all I ask for in a new owner.

You say penny pinching, but it is just about the club being run as a business, it is about spending what it generates, so the truth is for you and most people it is about him "pumping in millions"

The financial restraints are solely based on how much the club generates itself and how much the owner pumps into the club, it is simple accounting.

As I say we would all like an owner with drive, leadership and the ability to strategically invest, but we have to be careful of jumping out of the frying pan and into the fire as we did when we had Michael Wilde take over, the man who got the club to spend money and then failed to put his hand in his pocket, at least Gao hasn't done that.

I like reasonded dbate, but you are still not suggesting solutions and truth is none of us can, because we don't know what is out there, this is the crux of my argument, Gao is not ideal for the club, but he is better than some of the alternatives and at the moment the alternatives are a little thin on the ground and the problem will be every chancer will try and buy him out on the cheap

Gao bought club to help China on 16:15 - May 7 with 1344 viewsDorsetIan

Gao bought club to help China on 15:10 - May 7 by SaintNick

You say penny pinching, but it is just about the club being run as a business, it is about spending what it generates, so the truth is for you and most people it is about him "pumping in millions"

The financial restraints are solely based on how much the club generates itself and how much the owner pumps into the club, it is simple accounting.

As I say we would all like an owner with drive, leadership and the ability to strategically invest, but we have to be careful of jumping out of the frying pan and into the fire as we did when we had Michael Wilde take over, the man who got the club to spend money and then failed to put his hand in his pocket, at least Gao hasn't done that.

I like reasonded dbate, but you are still not suggesting solutions and truth is none of us can, because we don't know what is out there, this is the crux of my argument, Gao is not ideal for the club, but he is better than some of the alternatives and at the moment the alternatives are a little thin on the ground and the problem will be every chancer will try and buy him out on the cheap

Whatever the reason, it is still penny pinching.

You assume that 'strategic investing' can only mean 'pumping in millions'. This is where you go wrong.

If we had an owner with drive and leadership and some interest in developing the business, then he or she may be in a position to secure lending from third parties who could see a vision for the future. As we have seen, the only people who are going to lend to Gao are those charging extremely high rates of interest.

Likewise, other owners might be in a position to provide personal guarantees so that whilst not actually providing their own funds, at least have funds that they are prepared to commit.

Gao has nothing to offer potential business partners. Nothing at all. He is an absentee owner with no cash and no interest in developing the club. It's not exactly an attractive proposition for a lender.

You chose to ignore the solution that is being suggested. An owner, unlike Gao, who doesn't have both hands tied behind his back.

You also also suggest that it would only be 'chancers' who would try to buy him out on the cheap. Any sensible owner will try to buy him out on the cheap. And frankly I couldn't care less how much he sells for. He bought to try to make a profit and he might have to sell at a loss - boo hoo.

The real issues is that unless he has serious cashflow needs in China, he is probably not prepared to sell at a loss, which means that he will just hold on until someone comes along prepared to pay him what he wants. That someone is actually more likely to be an asset stripper, as the more you pay the more the imperative to get your money back and the less scope you have to invest.

And in the meantime we are effectively in limbo. Stuck with a moribund owner, with no cash and no chance of getting it at reasonable rates from elsewhere, who won't take the hit on the bad investment he made and pass the baton on.

You don't believe that the club has serious issues in relation to its squad, so you are happy to limp on.

Others take a more realistic view of the current position.
[Post edited 7 May 2021 16:18]

Gao bought club to help China on 17:13 - May 7 with 1300 viewsBerber

Gao bought club to help China on 10:01 - May 7 by A1079

Whatever the reasoning, politics and background to Gao's purchasing of the club (and I don't pretend to understand it all) it has been clear from day one that he was the wrong person to sell to and he has brought nothing to our club, the team or the city or community. He was and is a bad appointment and for that, I lay some of the blame with Kat Liebherr who said that she would only accept someone who would help take the club to the next level. Either she was hoodwinked or her judgement was poor.

Some may contest that Gao has done nothing wrong, but neither has he done anything to progress the club or brought into the city or community (and some owners of other clubs have). Just because he is no worse or not as bad as some owners, does not necessarily mean that that makes him good or acceptable. He isn't and never has been to SFC or Southampton the City.

It is good to hear Semmens giving a straight response.

Yep, spot on.
Gao bought club to help China on 17:41 - May 7 with 1282 viewsButty101

Gao bought club to help China on 15:10 - May 7 by SaintNick

Nick you keep saying that Gao doesn’t take money out of the club, therefore he must be ok. You fail to grasp that firstly there is no money in the club, it’s broke. Secondly we don’t have sellable assets. There’s no Virgils laying about. So when we sell a Hjoberg who’s fee is probably split over 4years, the best gao could do is take 5mill from the club per season. If he does that his 200mill asset will be worth nothing very quickly as it plummets down the league’s. So it’s in his interest to re-invest those bread crumbs.

I find it amazing you still defend the owner.

Poll: Has the Ross Stewart deal already paid off as Nick says?

Gao bought club to help China on 20:31 - May 7 with 1139 viewsKennington

Every time owners come up, worst ones are always mentioned to justify our owner being ok. That’s not really an argument I can live with, as just because Gao hasn’t sold the boardroom table doesn’t excuse the fact that he owns a premier league club with two senior full backs, and one of those is only 23. That’s no way to go about owning any team in any professional league. It’s inexcusable and is just one illustration of what his team is about. Another is having one holding midfielder in the squad, one! Even in the time of covid and reduced revenue did he step in and find a way to support his asset? Did he fook. The Chinese are experts at diverting their cash into western stuff, so if Gao wanted to, I’m sure he’d have found a way,

Poll: What age is too old for a striker?

Gao bought club to help China on 20:57 - May 7 with 1110 viewsSaintsforeverj

As someone pointed out, Gao can't cash in on selling our best assets as we would get relegated and the club's value would plummet, meaning that Gao would receive even less money from a sale. Because he hasn't asset stripped, doesn't make him an ok owner. It just makes him an ow er who knows how to get as much money back as he can when he sells. He doesn't invest anything into our club and doesn't say a word to his supporters. Burnley, Brighton, Fulham whoever, all spend more with smaller grounds so yes it is penny pinching. Had Swansea not collapsed, had Ralph not enabled the team to over perform, we would be down. He is a terrible owner.
[Post edited 7 May 2021 21:06]

Gao bought club to help China on 11:48 - May 8 with 913 viewsSadoldgit

We can spend all day slagging off Gao but it won’t change anything. He hasn’t been brilliant but it could have been a lot worse. I am more worried about who he might sell too. There aren’t many benefactors like Marcus Leibherr out there and it could be a case of out of the frying pan and into the fire. Who can forget the bullet that we dodged with SISA?
Gao bought club to help China on 15:06 - May 8 with 858 viewsstmichael

16th or 17th is not comfortably mid table...

Poll: Do we bring back Bernard at the weekend or stick with Bree?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024