Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Milestones 09:33 - May 9 with 1143 viewsDorsetIan

With yesterday’s result, we’ve now lost more and conceded more goals than we did for the entirety of last season.

We are inevitably going to finish on fewer points, but the last 4 games are going to define quite how bad this season has been.

It’s the defeats that are key. At 17 we already match the worst in any premiership season since our return.

Or is it our best season ever?

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

Milestones on 10:05 - May 9 with 1098 viewsBerber

I put the goals conceded down to our style of play, so I am prepared (within reason) to put up with that.

What has become increasingly apparent over the season, is that we have barely enough quality in the first pick 11. Without Ings, nobody really looks likely to score, and Adams and redmond yesterday summed up their capabilities. Willing, but really Championship level. Neither of them would look out of place in the current Sheffield Utd side.

We just don't have enough quality on the bench to allow RH to swap people out when their legs start to get tired, and maintain the style to a PL level. Hence the flagging late on in games, and also as the season goes on. KWP looks a level or two above almost the entire squad.

For the season assessment? We can see what could be possible, but with the current squad, no matter what style we play, we will always be sitting at the bottom half of the table, looking over our shoulders. No improvement on last year really if you take out the lockdown holiday that allowed the squad to refresh.
Milestones on 10:48 - May 9 with 1073 viewsdirk_doone

Milestones on 10:05 - May 9 by Berber

I put the goals conceded down to our style of play, so I am prepared (within reason) to put up with that.

What has become increasingly apparent over the season, is that we have barely enough quality in the first pick 11. Without Ings, nobody really looks likely to score, and Adams and redmond yesterday summed up their capabilities. Willing, but really Championship level. Neither of them would look out of place in the current Sheffield Utd side.

We just don't have enough quality on the bench to allow RH to swap people out when their legs start to get tired, and maintain the style to a PL level. Hence the flagging late on in games, and also as the season goes on. KWP looks a level or two above almost the entire squad.

For the season assessment? We can see what could be possible, but with the current squad, no matter what style we play, we will always be sitting at the bottom half of the table, looking over our shoulders. No improvement on last year really if you take out the lockdown holiday that allowed the squad to refresh.

"I put the goals down to our style of play"

Results suggest team selection may be a factor. "Looking back, most of our best defensive performances have been when he hasn't played, like the 1-0 wins v Man City and Spurs and the 2-0 win v Chelsea last season and the 1-0 wins v Liverpool and Arsenal this season. The players seem to cover each other better and show more team spirit when he's not there.":

Vestergaard by dirk_doone 1 May 2021 8:43
Is our defence better without him? In the 11 Premier League & FA Cup games he has missed this season, we have kept 6 clean sheets, and last night, we hardly missed him when he went off. Admittedly he missed the Man United debacle.

I think he flatters to deceive. He is good at passing the ball forwards but defensively he is too slow and covers very little ground. If, as is rumoured, we are going to get a big offer from Spurs for him in the summer, I'd take it and use the money to strengthen the squad.

Salisu looks a much better player.

[Post edited 9 May 2021 10:50]

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Milestones on 12:11 - May 9 with 1017 viewsRon11

Milestones on 10:48 - May 9 by dirk_doone

"I put the goals down to our style of play"

Results suggest team selection may be a factor. "Looking back, most of our best defensive performances have been when he hasn't played, like the 1-0 wins v Man City and Spurs and the 2-0 win v Chelsea last season and the 1-0 wins v Liverpool and Arsenal this season. The players seem to cover each other better and show more team spirit when he's not there.":

Vestergaard by dirk_doone 1 May 2021 8:43
Is our defence better without him? In the 11 Premier League & FA Cup games he has missed this season, we have kept 6 clean sheets, and last night, we hardly missed him when he went off. Admittedly he missed the Man United debacle.

I think he flatters to deceive. He is good at passing the ball forwards but defensively he is too slow and covers very little ground. If, as is rumoured, we are going to get a big offer from Spurs for him in the summer, I'd take it and use the money to strengthen the squad.

Salisu looks a much better player.

[Post edited 9 May 2021 10:50]

We had quality on the bench yesterday (Diallo) and a player who had quality but looks well past it now (Walcott) starting.
Milestones on 12:21 - May 9 with 998 viewsdirk_doone

Milestones on 12:11 - May 9 by Ron11

We had quality on the bench yesterday (Diallo) and a player who had quality but looks well past it now (Walcott) starting.

I think that in the absence of Ings, Ralph was desperately looking for potential goal scorers and Walcott looked a better option than Diallo, as he scored 65 goals in 270 games for Arsenal and 8 goals in 47 games for England whereas Diallo has never scored a goal in his entire career. But, Walcott seems to have lost something over the years and now looks a shadow of his former self, which is a shame.

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Milestones on 12:28 - May 9 with 983 viewssaint22

Milestones on 12:21 - May 9 by dirk_doone

I think that in the absence of Ings, Ralph was desperately looking for potential goal scorers and Walcott looked a better option than Diallo, as he scored 65 goals in 270 games for Arsenal and 8 goals in 47 games for England whereas Diallo has never scored a goal in his entire career. But, Walcott seems to have lost something over the years and now looks a shadow of his former self, which is a shame.

Funny that Diallo came closest with that shot having only just come into the game
Walcott however seemed to keep falling over his own feet
He needs binning off
Milestones on 14:17 - May 9 with 902 viewsDorsetIan

Milestones on 10:05 - May 9 by Berber

So much is dependent on Romeu and Ings.

Without Romeu, the defence is just so much more exposed and JWP and Armstrong have to spend so much time covering that our midfield threat is heavily diminished.

Add to that no Ings up front to fashion goals out of very little and we offer little attacking threat.

Adams and Tella both showed their inexperience yesterday and, as usual, Djenepo offered absolutely nothing going forward when he came on.

He simply hasn’t cut it and should be sold. Walcott and Minamino should both go back. I think Redmond also needs a fresh start somewhere else. So we’ve got a real challenge finding some attacking players this summer. (And that’s assuming Ings stays!).

Milestones on 15:38 - May 9 with 859 viewssaint22

Milestones on 14:17 - May 9 by DorsetIan

So much is dependent on Romeu and Ings.

Without Romeu, the defence is just so much more exposed and JWP and Armstrong have to spend so much time covering that our midfield threat is heavily diminished.

Add to that no Ings up front to fashion goals out of very little and we offer little attacking threat.

Adams and Tella both showed their inexperience yesterday and, as usual, Djenepo offered absolutely nothing going forward when he came on.

He simply hasn’t cut it and should be sold. Walcott and Minamino should both go back. I think Redmond also needs a fresh start somewhere else. So we’ve got a real challenge finding some attacking players this summer. (And that’s assuming Ings stays!).

I actually think Redmond may benefit when minamino and Walcott go back to their clubs
He needs a run in the team to get confidence back
Djenepo is infuriating and I don’t think he will get better
Milestones on 18:58 - May 9 with 794 viewsDorsetIan

Milestones on 15:38 - May 9 by saint22

I actually think Redmond may benefit when minamino and Walcott go back to their clubs

Redmond will have been at the club for 5 years in June.

He’s scored 20 goals in 159 appearances.

An average of 4 per year, or 1 every 8 games.

I don’t think he’s suddenly going to improve, and we need better than that. It’s not as if he hasn’t had chances to shine.

Login to get fewer ads

Milestones on 19:52 - May 9 with 758 viewsTimSaint

Milestones on 15:38 - May 9 by saint22

After his MOTM performance away to Bournemouth in the cup, Redmond said that he needed to be more direct and influence games.

I think he must have forgotten what he said.

Virtually every time he had the ball last night, especially in the 2nd half when we were supposed to be chasing the game, he would pass it back rather than try to take on his marker.

With Walcott doing nothing to impress for a contract with us, Minamino still part of Klopp's plans (allegedly) and Djenepo continuing to frustrate and disappoint all season, we really only have Armstrong and the potential of Tella.

The rest are not up to performing at this level all season. The odd good game is simply not good enough.

Time for RH to get ruthless this summer.

TimSaint

Milestones on 22:06 - May 9 with 698 viewsKennington

I’d say the current team is as poor as the 2005 relegated team. Only difference is there’s a bit less turmoil than that season. Arguably not sacking Ralph and keeping the continuity will just about see us limp on in the premier league for another season, Reality is we’re piss poor but there are three or four even worse teams than us. They’re only worse though because we had an unbelievable run of wins at the start of the season with our rag tag squad playing well above their abilities. Clearly that wasn’t going to last. What’s most disappointing is the two star loans, Wallcot and Minimouse have done so little and it’s clear why their clubs are happy loaning them out. I’m completely fine with any of this squad leaving in the summer, and I don’t think I’ve said that since 2005.

Poll: What age is too old for a striker?

Milestones on 09:45 - May 10 with 583 viewsDorsetIan

Milestones on 22:06 - May 9 by Kennington

I’d say the current team is as poor as the 2005 relegated team. Only difference is there’s a bit less turmoil than that season. Arguably not sacking Ralph and keeping the continuity will just about see us limp on in the premier league for another season, Reality is we’re piss poor but there are three or four even worse teams than us. They’re only worse though because we had an unbelievable run of wins at the start of the season with our rag tag squad playing well above their abilities. Clearly that wasn’t going to last. What’s most disappointing is the two star loans, Wallcot and Minimouse have done so little and it’s clear why their clubs are happy loaning them out. I’m completely fine with any of this squad leaving in the summer, and I don’t think I’ve said that since 2005.

That's an interesting way to look at it. If I heard that so and so was leaving how gutted/worried would I be? For me, I think it would be:

Ings
Armstrong
JWP
Romeu
KWP
Bednarek
(Tella)

Milestones on 10:08 - May 10 with 570 viewssaints__fan__73

Milestones on 12:21 - May 9 by dirk_doone

Walcott is an attacking MF player, Diallo a defensive MF player so can't really compare.
[Post edited 10 May 2021 10:08]

"Playing Devil's Advocate since 15th January 2014"
Poll: Have the events of the Summer made Nick feel closer to LFC?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024