Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Large Scale Apathy 12:06 - Jun 9 with 5542 viewsSaintNick

Im truly worried by the number of Saints supporters walking away from the club judging by the number I have spoken to who have not renewed season tickets

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Large Scale Apathy on 12:21 - Jun 9 with 2707 viewsSaintsforeverj

It's not surprising. There is a growing anger towards Gao, a club that doesn't care about its fans (leather seats, lack of communication / care from the owner etc), a realisation that relegation is inevitable or at best another year of struggle. The prices of season tickets don't represent value for money in terms of wins and quality on the pitch. Rumours of Ward-Prowse leaving and Ings going soon too. There is anger too, about our timid semi final performance at Wembley, when so many fans cared more than the players did. Certain players who were terrible in that game, then saying 100 grand a week isn't enough for them. Fans have had enough.

Add that to a number of people fed up with the PL being the same top 4 or 5 every single year, only to become even more predictable when Villa, Leeds, Leicester all spend their millions. What's the point? I have renewed my ST by the way, but also know many who haven't and understand why. You may disagree but until these issues are addressed, more and more fans will be walking away. People don't just part with their money to be taken the P out of.
[Post edited 9 Jun 2021 12:46]

Poll: Would you like Ings to come back?

Large Scale Apathy on 12:21 - Jun 9 with 2705 viewsgreen

The email I got yesterday said:

"With just over a week to go until our loyalty pricing deadline closes, almost 50% of Season Ticket holders have already renewed for next season!"

People like me will renew but just haven't got around to it yet and I'm looking forward to going back.

But others won't for a number of reasons including getting out of the habit, lack of investment in the club, the pain of watching our games on TV in 2021, the uncertainty about the level of "normal" allowed in football grounds, cost due to uncertainty about employment, the knock on effect of others not renewing meaning groups who go together are disbanded and many more.
Large Scale Apathy on 12:54 - Jun 9 with 2639 viewskingslandstand1

Large Scale Apathy on 12:21 - Jun 9 by green

The email I got yesterday said:

"With just over a week to go until our loyalty pricing deadline closes, almost 50% of Season Ticket holders have already renewed for next season!"

People like me will renew but just haven't got around to it yet and I'm looking forward to going back.

But others won't for a number of reasons including getting out of the habit, lack of investment in the club, the pain of watching our games on TV in 2021, the uncertainty about the level of "normal" allowed in football grounds, cost due to uncertainty about employment, the knock on effect of others not renewing meaning groups who go together are disbanded and many more.

I'm with you on this one Green. I will renew but just keep forgetting! Reminder to self that only a few days left!
Large Scale Apathy on 13:09 - Jun 9 with 2619 viewsNumber_58

I'll renew as always but unless we get some major investment I genuinely can't see anything other than continued struggles. We're going downhill faster than a fat bloke on a sledge chasing a scotch egg.
Large Scale Apathy on 13:25 - Jun 9 with 2595 viewsSonicBoom

I think a lot of people just got used to not going, and then we watched Saints collapse from the turn of the year including another 9-0 humiliation (which I'm really not over yet). The lack of ability to spend on new players means that many fans don't have much to look forward to next season other than more struggles, so asking for renewals right now is going to be tricky.

That said, I think things will pick up. If England do well it will whet everyone's appetite for football again next season and I'm sure we will make one or two signings which will make people feel a bit more optimistic. I think last season is still a little too fresh in people's memories at the moment.
Large Scale Apathy on 13:41 - Jun 9 with 2583 viewsPaleRider

Nick, you keep asking for solutions. Why do you think this is happening and what would be your solution.
Large Scale Apathy on 13:46 - Jun 9 with 2574 viewsdirk_doone

What a difference 5 years makes. I still remember the enormous sense of optimism that we ended the 2015/16 season with.

It's worth looking at what happened to Bolton after they had a similar run of success to ours with their 4 consecutive top 8 finishes and a cup final. There are a lot of parallels.

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Large Scale Apathy on 13:48 - Jun 9 with 2568 viewsdwayne_dibley

is this scenario any different from that at any of the clubs destined to be in the Bottom 6

I have renewed after some though, but it could be my last

Well, I say let's get out there and tw@t it!
Poll: Will you renew your Season Ticket for next season

Login to get fewer ads

Large Scale Apathy on 14:53 - Jun 9 with 2512 views1teeminants

I’m still going and all our group are Nick but I do understand those that maybe want to see us show a bit of ambition and actually try and move forward like West Ham, Wolves and Leicester have all done lately . Of course it’s all down to getting someone who wishes to invest we all know that.

Poll: Would you take an Fa Cup win if it meant relegation to the championship ?

Large Scale Apathy on 15:06 - Jun 9 with 2468 viewsDorsetIan

The Gao years have been draining. I know you think that things are much better than people think and we could do a lot worse in terms of an owner, but...

heavy defeats,
long losing streaks
not rising to the challenge of big games
a thin squad
some players who are clearly out of their depth
a manager whose tactics are often bemusing
talk of good players leaving
never any talk of good, experienced players arriving

...it all takes it toll.

There's needs to be some hope, some expectation of an improving team, a new player who might really lift things. A new owner with some ambition!

I haven't yet but I will renew. But principally because I love the day out with my sons. And whatever happens at least for the opening game of the season I will go to St Mary's with a sense of anticipation, however misguided that might be.

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

Large Scale Apathy on 15:17 - Jun 9 with 2464 viewsDellHero_Would

I packed it in after the last European matches. I got fed up with the constant moaning and groaning at St Mary’s and kids standing there looking at their mobile phones the entire time.

And to be blunt, I can’t stand the attitude of a lot of the players. Walking around laughing and smiling when we’re loosing.

I still go to a few away matches, mostly the London games, but I’m done with modern football.

Poll: Wearing a mask

Large Scale Apathy on 15:20 - Jun 9 with 2446 viewsSaintsforeverj

Large Scale Apathy on 15:06 - Jun 9 by DorsetIan

The Gao years have been draining. I know you think that things are much better than people think and we could do a lot worse in terms of an owner, but...

heavy defeats,
long losing streaks
not rising to the challenge of big games
a thin squad
some players who are clearly out of their depth
a manager whose tactics are often bemusing
talk of good players leaving
never any talk of good, experienced players arriving

...it all takes it toll.

There's needs to be some hope, some expectation of an improving team, a new player who might really lift things. A new owner with some ambition!

I haven't yet but I will renew. But principally because I love the day out with my sons. And whatever happens at least for the opening game of the season I will go to St Mary's with a sense of anticipation, however misguided that might be.

There are loads of reasons. The club and all clubs in the PL are out of touch. The £55 shirt, the £999 leather seat, the frozen season ticket prices that are more expensive than some of Man City, Villa, Leeds STs etc, yet they watch a better team with investment. Burnley's season tickets, a team who show the same quality as us, are much cheaper.

They don't seem to understand that most people just want a few beers, a shout after a hard week at work, a bit of banter with away fans (can't say this, can't say that) and a team to cheer, that sometimes wins and always gives 100 % for a price that is affordable. The stupid surveys ask about this and that, but most fans would sit in a wooden box if it meant Saints won games. They think we will go to St Mary's for some kind of theatrical experience. We go there to see the team win, the thing that rarely happens. Again, totally put of touch. All of that is disappearing and people are walking away.

But ultimately, you are right. Gao has to go or this club will perish.
[Post edited 9 Jun 2021 15:25]

Poll: Would you like Ings to come back?

Large Scale Apathy on 15:21 - Jun 9 with 2446 viewsBerber

Well if you are correct, it should be a wakeup call for those running the commercial side of the club. I have paid the renewal deposit, but am not expecting any advance on this year, lower half finish, worries about relegation. If Semmens cares more than Gao, he can show it by putting his foot on the neck of those apparently inexperienced marketeers he's got playing their own games in the club.
Large Scale Apathy on 15:28 - Jun 9 with 2419 viewsgrumpy

Having to watch on tv such dire performances hasn't helped.
I think communication from the club to its fans is very poor.
The bottom line though is the expense.
Large Scale Apathy on 16:36 - Jun 9 with 2332 viewssaint22

Hardly surprising
Worst performing team this calendar year, same problems, no plan B
Couple that with the fact we massively need to strengthen yet all the talk is Ings Vest and now JWP will leave
If that happens we need another 3 quality players in on top of the 4 or 5 we already need which we all know won’t happen so I think it’s apathy and fear and boredom at the endless repetition of failings
Large Scale Apathy on 17:08 - Jun 9 with 2254 viewskingslandstand1

Nick, you can see from below that while there may be apathy towards the team and current running of the club and performances and continual losing games, we are all still renewing our ST's because of the love for the club. And that may be the problem as those running it can see we will still be back. If the facts are right about non renewals (I haven't yet) but as most on here and mates of mine not on here will be, the numbers may just start to creep up enough to keep any potential purchaser seeing us as a good investment

TBH, this is probably worse than the Lowe years when we actually went down with administration etc when although we were awash with prize money etc but nowhere near as much as now so where is that all going?

How on earth are we going to attract any decent established player when we are supposed to get excited about a major potential signing being one to replace a player that can see what's happening and doesn't want to be in a relegation battle, and this replacement costing twopence (in today's market) who no one has ever heard of

You are right to be worried, but hopefully you are more worried about the reasons all as stated over the last 6 months and reiterated below, than having another gripe at fans in general deciding to spend their money elsewhere. And let's face it, we haven't been able to spend our money anywhere else so that should be a worry that the club need to wake up to

Now then, let's start getting the map out to see how to get to those grounds we went to back in the dark, dismal days after 2005
Large Scale Apathy on 17:33 - Jun 9 with 2230 viewsdwayne_dibley

to sum up, the club is fecked for next season

Deep fecking joy

How do I reign in the wench's M&S spending when she can point to the money I am wasteing on a season ticket. Southern Rail are probably better value

Well, I say let's get out there and tw@t it!
Poll: Will you renew your Season Ticket for next season

Large Scale Apathy on 17:59 - Jun 9 with 2189 viewsBicester_North

It’s not so much about Saints for me but premier league football in general

The sickening people it attracts and the even more sickening people it’s played by

And the yet more sickening people who report and cover it in the media

The overwhelming majority of people involved with the game at this level are worthless, cringeworthy, money obsessed, skin crawling specimens

Poll: Who do you feel most sorry for

Large Scale Apathy on 18:15 - Jun 9 with 2166 viewscynicalsaint

Back to my favourite to quote. Maybe it's disgust, not apathy.

If you buy a season ticket, club merchandise, subscribe to sky etc then you're fuelling the flames / are just another part of the problem.

Starving the greedy feckers of revenue is the only way we'll see the structural changes that so many of us appear to long for (or at least spend a lot of time and energy ranting about).
Large Scale Apathy on 18:36 - Jun 9 with 2142 viewsTripleNiemi

I will renew but nowadays primarily for two reasons:

1) The odd Saturday home game and a day out on the pīss.

2) To access away tickets (not that has ever been a problem aside from say the odd Bournemouth or Pompey type fixture).

I seriously wonder if there would have been more excitement had Ralph not performed miracles and keeping this club up. The PL and cartel clubs, (including the mighty Spurs) may just have caused a large amounty of spathy everywhere as fans are royally cheesed off having seen no massive points deductions or fines.

Ready and waiting to mop up those European places......

Large Scale Apathy on 19:06 - Jun 9 with 2097 viewsSinned

Unfortunately I will not be renewing. But not for any of the the reasons reasons showing here. In my case simply old age, failing health and difficulty in walking. It’s been a difficult decision as I have been a regular supporter since the start of the 1953/54 season (when we had just been relegated to Div3 South) and a season Ticket holder since 1964. So 67 years as a supporter and 56 years as a ST holder. I think I’ve done my bit.
I will still support them from my armchair and wish Saints every good fortune for the coming seasons.
Large Scale Apathy on 19:07 - Jun 9 with 2095 viewskernow

Won't be buying one.
Why break the habit of a lifetime?
Large Scale Apathy on 20:34 - Jun 9 with 1998 viewskingslandstand1

Large Scale Apathy on 19:06 - Jun 9 by Sinned

Unfortunately I will not be renewing. But not for any of the the reasons reasons showing here. In my case simply old age, failing health and difficulty in walking. It’s been a difficult decision as I have been a regular supporter since the start of the 1953/54 season (when we had just been relegated to Div3 South) and a season Ticket holder since 1964. So 67 years as a supporter and 56 years as a ST holder. I think I’ve done my bit.
I will still support them from my armchair and wish Saints every good fortune for the coming seasons.

Well Sinned, fair play to you and I somehow think you probably deserve a break! It's genuine supporters like you that the club need to do something for and acknowledge what you have been through by at least inviting you back as a guest for the odd game

However, that may take a while but you never know
Large Scale Apathy on 22:08 - Jun 9 with 1898 viewsUlsterBaz

We renewed ours but I have to be honest I understand why many won’t be renewing. Next season under Gao looks bleak.
Large Scale Apathy on 22:34 - Jun 9 with 1871 viewsGennaro_Contaldo

Large Scale Apathy on 17:59 - Jun 9 by Bicester_North

It’s not so much about Saints for me but premier league football in general

The sickening people it attracts and the even more sickening people it’s played by

And the yet more sickening people who report and cover it in the media

The overwhelming majority of people involved with the game at this level are worthless, cringeworthy, money obsessed, skin crawling specimens

This. I was going to say that "maybe it's not Saints, but the Premier League, football in general, tw*t footballers, sh*t media, VAR and being seen as a police problem if you want a few beers with mates"

The UI; For the sophisticated gentleman
Poll: Where will Saints finish in the 2018/19 season

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024