Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ralph Hasenhuttl 08:31 - Jun 10 with 12260 viewsMattFinish

For years we've been needing a manager who sees Saints as a long term project. We finally have one in Ralph and there's people on here who want him out because we had a poor second half of the season.
What exactly do these people expect the manager to do with this squad and investment.
With an investment record only slightly better than Norwich, somehow Ralph got us to top of the league, for a time in the top 6 and a semi final.
Our bench and first team was regularly filled with inexperienced youth team players and we had no back up for crucial positions.
Yet we still competed and finished 2 points behind 12th place. There were few games where we lost and played badly. A lot of defeats could have been victories if we'd taken our chances.
Yet some people on here think a cup semi final, occupying top spot for the first time in 32 years and mid table finish wasn't good enough with this squad. Unbelievable.
Ralph needs the backing of the owner and the supporters and maybe he can build something we all want.
[Post edited 10 Jun 2021 8:32]
Ralph Hasenhuttl on 12:01 - Jun 17 with 1102 viewsSadoldgit

Ralph Hasenhuttl on 07:00 - Jun 17 by Butty101

We don’t have money to buy players. It looks like we are waiting for Gunn to move on before we can get a left back in.
In the last 5years we have had no spare cash to spend on transfers, so I’m not after a pandemic why you think the club is awash with money.

We clearly do have the money to buy players and pay their wages otherwise where are these new players going to come from?Not a lot but enough to sack and pay off the manager if we wanted to. Your point is that he is poor and should go. Wouldn’t it make financial sense to get rid of him if he is so bad? By your argument, his very sacking should be enough to improve things without spending money in the squad. He hasn’t been sacked because the Board are backing him. A large percentage of fan’s also back him.
Ralph Hasenhuttl on 12:02 - Jun 17 with 1101 viewsDorsetIan

Ralph Hasenhuttl on 11:20 - Jun 17 by Saintsforeverj

There are valid points on both sides. It is fair to argue that our defence is appalling under Ralph and we have conceded more goals than 18 other teams in the PL, I think. Whatever the circumstances, two 9 nils for a manager is unheard of and is arguably unacceptable. Ralph also seems to have lost his enthusiasm. You could say it's time for a manager that can tighten things up, a fresh voice, as we don't have the players to play the way we do.

On the flip side though, we do have some exciting games under Ralph, we beat a few of the top teams for the first time since Koeman was here, and we play attacking football. Personally, I think we have to give Ralph the summer and see where we are at Christmas. I do like Howe, and think a fresh, enthusiastic new voice like him might arguably improve things for a while, but I do think things will soon get back to the way they always do. Whoever is manager, we won't get anywhere, with the resources available. You could also argue that Ralph has done a good job (league position wise) with his hands tied behind his back.

The problem people have is not the league position. It's the lambs to the slaughter, embarrassing defeats that keep happening, that people have a problem with I think. Ralph will have to sort this, or the pressure will build.

It's your final paragraph preciously.

At the moment, realistically, we can hope not to get relegated and that's about it.

A few years back we got into Europe. We had perhaps hoped that we could aspire to that again. With Gao's level of investment, and with other more ambitious clubs like Leeds and Villa joining the league since then, the prospect of a repeat of that seems way off at the moment.

So, I'm looking for decent performances where we compete for 90 minutes, don't look like mugs too often, score a few goals and don't lose too many games.

I'd also like to see 11 players on the pitch who are premier league quality - and last season that was often not the case.

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

Ralph Hasenhuttl on 12:21 - Jun 17 with 1081 viewsButty101

Ralph Hasenhuttl on 12:01 - Jun 17 by Sadoldgit

We clearly do have the money to buy players and pay their wages otherwise where are these new players going to come from?Not a lot but enough to sack and pay off the manager if we wanted to. Your point is that he is poor and should go. Wouldn’t it make financial sense to get rid of him if he is so bad? By your argument, his very sacking should be enough to improve things without spending money in the squad. He hasn’t been sacked because the Board are backing him. A large percentage of fan’s also back him.

So as we clearly have money, we will for once have a positive net spend come the end of the season.
Maybe you can share what you are reading that leads you to believe we have money to spend. Because everything ive seen is exactly the opposite.

As for why hasnt he been sacked, im not sure if i mentioned it, but we dont have a spare 6mill kicking about to get shot of him. If the owner was engaged in the club then i doubt Ralph would be here.

Poll: Has the Ross Stewart deal already paid off as Nick says?

Ralph Hasenhuttl on 12:39 - Jun 17 with 1076 viewsMattFinish

Ralph Hasenhuttl on 09:21 - Jun 17 by Butty101

You still havent grasped why i think Ralph should go. At no point have i said that he should be sacked for finishing 15th.
The first 1/3 of the season we over performed. The last 2/3's of the season we ended bottom of the form table with 19 points from 26 games. If he repeats last seasons results over the first 8 games of the season, it will be 22 points from 34 games. Are you happy with that do you think thats par?
When you factor in he has over seen two 9-0 drubbings, the football was pretty awful, the defence is as much use a chocolate fireguard and during that run and Ralph run out of steam ,showing about as much enthusiasm as a sack of potatoes. Yeah i no longer think he can do the job.

You should definitely go into politics. So I'll ask you again. Where do you think this squad should have finished?
Plus what do you think would be an acceptable finishing position this season, assuming we'll lose Ings, JWP, Bertrand and Vestergaard
[Post edited 17 Jun 2021 12:43]
Ralph Hasenhuttl on 12:43 - Jun 17 with 1070 viewsButty101

Ralph Hasenhuttl on 12:39 - Jun 17 by MattFinish

You should definitely go into politics. So I'll ask you again. Where do you think this squad should have finished?
Plus what do you think would be an acceptable finishing position this season, assuming we'll lose Ings, JWP, Bertrand and Vestergaard
[Post edited 17 Jun 2021 12:43]

11/12th would have been par.

But as already explained, it’s not about the league position. It’s the manager losing the plot

Ralph Hasenhuttl on 12:50 - Jun 17 with 1063 viewsSadoldgit

Ralph Hasenhuttl on 12:21 - Jun 17 by Butty101

So as we clearly have money, we will for once have a positive net spend come the end of the season.
Maybe you can share what you are reading that leads you to believe we have money to spend. Because everything ive seen is exactly the opposite.

As for why hasnt he been sacked, im not sure if i mentioned it, but we dont have a spare 6mill kicking about to get shot of him. If the owner was engaged in the club then i doubt Ralph would be here.

How are we supposed to fund the new purchased of the 2 or 3 players were are supposed to be getting? How much would it cost to sack Ralph?
Ralph Hasenhuttl on 13:10 - Jun 17 with 1047 viewsButty101

Ralph Hasenhuttl on 12:50 - Jun 17 by Sadoldgit

How are we supposed to fund the new purchased of the 2 or 3 players were are supposed to be getting? How much would it cost to sack Ralph?

did you actually read my post you replied to as i answered one of your questions there, and the other in an early post.
Rather than me get the answers for you, see if you can spot it yourself!
PS i see you didnt answer my question

Ralph Hasenhuttl on 13:26 - Jun 17 with 1030 viewsSadoldgit

Ralph Hasenhuttl on 13:10 - Jun 17 by Butty101

did you actually read my post you replied to as i answered one of your questions there, and the other in an early post.
Rather than me get the answers for you, see if you can spot it yourself!
PS i see you didnt answer my question

But we found the money to sack previous managers and relegation would cost us far more than £6m, if that is indeed the cost. You might be right about a new owner wanting him out, you might be wrong. What is very clear at the moment is that the Board back him. He offered his resignation after the first 9-0 defeat and was told that they wanted him to stay. A lot of people want him to stay. You don’t but you will just have to live with it.
Login to get fewer ads

Ralph Hasenhuttl on 13:44 - Jun 17 with 1022 viewsButty101

Ralph Hasenhuttl on 13:26 - Jun 17 by Sadoldgit

But we found the money to sack previous managers and relegation would cost us far more than £6m, if that is indeed the cost. You might be right about a new owner wanting him out, you might be wrong. What is very clear at the moment is that the Board back him. He offered his resignation after the first 9-0 defeat and was told that they wanted him to stay. A lot of people want him to stay. You don’t but you will just have to live with it.

So where are these articles saying we have money to spend?

If he was doing such a great job Everton or Spurs would have snapped him up.

Ralph Hasenhuttl on 14:46 - Jun 17 with 1002 viewsSadoldgit

Ralph Hasenhuttl on 13:44 - Jun 17 by Butty101

So where are these articles saying we have money to spend?

If he was doing such a great job Everton or Spurs would have snapped him up.

Why are we even bothering about transfer speculation if we can’t afford anyone? We have just sold Hoedt to Anderlecht so what ever cash we have got for him, perhaps you can start a crowd funding campaign to add to your Ralph sacking fund. He will end up at a bigger club than us.
Ralph Hasenhuttl on 16:24 - Jun 17 with 979 viewsButty101

Ralph Hasenhuttl on 14:46 - Jun 17 by Sadoldgit

Why are we even bothering about transfer speculation if we can’t afford anyone? We have just sold Hoedt to Anderlecht so what ever cash we have got for him, perhaps you can start a crowd funding campaign to add to your Ralph sacking fund. He will end up at a bigger club than us.

You are an odd fellor, whats with the crap jibe about crowd funding. I thought you were meant to be a corby lover that liked to live and let live?

I asked you a couple times to back up your statement about the club had funds.
I gave you reasoned answers as to why i think he should go. So dont be a dick old man.

BTW Which bigger club is going to want a manager that has two 9-0 defeats and progression of two places up the table after nearly 3 seasons?

Ralph Hasenhuttl on 16:56 - Jun 17 with 969 viewsfranniesTache

Ralph Hasenhuttl on 20:51 - Jun 15 by MattFinish

His record says what he is capable of.

In October 2013 he took over at FC Ingolstadt 04 who were bottom of Bundesliga 2 and he took them to 10th place. In the 2014—15 season, he took Ingolstadt to the Bundesliga for the first time, finishing the season as Bundesliga 2 champions. The following season when Ingolstadt were favourites for the drop he finished them in 11th spot.

He then joined Red Bull Leipzig and took them to Bundesliga runners up in his first season and Champions League football. The next season Leipzig finished 6th and took RB to the Europa League quarter finals before leaving and joining Saints.

You're right his record speaks for itself

2 9-0 loses
longest losing streak in the clubs 136 year history
worst form ever in the premier league
9th/15th/12th place finishes
-21 goal difference
conceded over 60 in two seasons running
Lower win percentage than Puel, Burley and Sturrock.
No manager since Dave Jones (57 games) has lost more games than him (48 games) and not been sacked

but yeah his record speaks for itself
[Post edited 17 Jun 2021 17:00]
Ralph Hasenhuttl on 17:50 - Jun 17 with 947 viewsMattFinish

Ralph Hasenhuttl on 12:43 - Jun 17 by Butty101

But as already explained, it’s not about the league position. It’s the manager losing the plot

So you're saying with the squad we've got were 2 points off where we should have finished and the manager should be sacked because of the second half of the season.
So do you accept that the squad depth was nowhere deep enough and do you accept that our investment was shocking and do you accept that with a shortened close season the players tired because of the lack of depth?
Ralph Hasenhuttl on 17:54 - Jun 17 with 941 viewsMattFinish

Ralph Hasenhuttl on 12:43 - Jun 17 by Butty101

Question. Did Klopp lose the title because he lost the plot or do you think it was due to key injuries and lack of depth in key positions?
Ralph Hasenhuttl on 18:25 - Jun 17 with 926 viewsPeterL22

Ralph is definitely worth hanging on to. I haven’t really seen any realistic alternatives to replace him. I agree that he is a little too accepting of the Saints “Lidl “ transfer policy, but he has seemed to be saying that more investment is needed. With the squad he has had (especially after it was decimated by injuries), I think he did well to keep us up. He does seem to have a plan of how we should play - recent managers haven’t always had one! The clincher, for me, is that I enjoy watching Saints matches again now! I can remember walking over Northam bridge when Puel was in charge (a “successful “ manager when he was here) and asking myself if I really wanted to go to St Mary’s as I knew that I wasn’t going to be entertained. Whilst the business plan is to finish 10th to 14th in PL and aim for a good cup run (and not spend too much on players), things won’t get better and we will be looking anxiously over our shoulders.
By the way I haven’t said anything about the transfers we do make. Buying a third expensive keeper, letting fullbacks go out on loan when we only have two et etc!
Ralph Hasenhuttl on 18:49 - Jun 17 with 912 viewsButty101

Ralph Hasenhuttl on 17:50 - Jun 17 by MattFinish

So you're saying with the squad we've got were 2 points off where we should have finished and the manager should be sacked because of the second half of the season.
So do you accept that the squad depth was nowhere deep enough and do you accept that our investment was shocking and do you accept that with a shortened close season the players tired because of the lack of depth?

I’m not interested in the league position as I’ve said several times. However thanks for confirming my point in your words that Ralph missed par by 3 places.
Again as I said earlier it’s a really bad last 2/3s of the season not half. I noticed you avoided my question to you, but I understand you struggle with detail.

By the way,before the initial lock down we were on a terrible run and looking over our shoulder. Had that season carried on without the lockdown it’s every chance we would have been relegated judging on what happened this season
[Post edited 18 Jun 2021 9:19]

Ralph Hasenhuttl on 08:03 - Jun 18 with 820 viewsSadoldgit

Ralph Hasenhuttl on 17:54 - Jun 17 by MattFinish

Question. Did Klopp lose the title because he lost the plot or do you think it was due to key injuries and lack of depth in key positions?

He also conceded 7 goals at home! Surely he should have been sacked for that!!!
Ralph Hasenhuttl on 08:18 - Jun 18 with 814 viewsSadoldgit

Ralph Hasenhuttl on 16:24 - Jun 17 by Butty101

You are an odd fellor, whats with the crap jibe about crowd funding. I thought you were meant to be a corby lover that liked to live and let live?

I asked you a couple times to back up your statement about the club had funds.
I gave you reasoned answers as to why i think he should go. So dont be a dick old man.

BTW Which bigger club is going to want a manager that has two 9-0 defeats and progression of two places up the table after nearly 3 seasons?

What is a corby lover? I have never been there.
As you seem so certain, where is your evidence that it will cost £6m to sack him? Where is your evidence that the only reason that he hasn’t been sacked is because we can’t afford to do so?
You won’t be able to provide any because it is all in your head. As for his future, neither of us has a crystal ball, but he is a decent manager, whatever you think, and he will go on to bigger things in my opinion.
We are not the only club with financial constraints. It doesn’t stop other clubs parting company with their managers when they feel it is time. I’m sure that you are aware that departure packages are not paid off in one go either. You also seem to be completely oblivious to the fact that the majority of Saints fans seem to be of the opinion that Ralph has shown enough both here and in his previous career to be given longer.
Ralph Hasenhuttl on 09:17 - Jun 18 with 786 viewsButty101

Ralph Hasenhuttl on 08:18 - Jun 18 by Sadoldgit

What is a corby lover? I have never been there.
As you seem so certain, where is your evidence that it will cost £6m to sack him? Where is your evidence that the only reason that he hasn’t been sacked is because we can’t afford to do so?
You won’t be able to provide any because it is all in your head. As for his future, neither of us has a crystal ball, but he is a decent manager, whatever you think, and he will go on to bigger things in my opinion.
We are not the only club with financial constraints. It doesn’t stop other clubs parting company with their managers when they feel it is time. I’m sure that you are aware that departure packages are not paid off in one go either. You also seem to be completely oblivious to the fact that the majority of Saints fans seem to be of the opinion that Ralph has shown enough both here and in his previous career to be given longer.

I thought you couldnt provide any evidence. hence yet more diversion tactics.

Where is the evidence that most saints fans want Ralph to stay. Looking on this site i would say its a 50/50 split.

Ralph Hasenhuttl on 09:22 - Jun 18 with 780 viewsButty101

Ralph Hasenhuttl on 08:03 - Jun 18 by Sadoldgit

He also conceded 7 goals at home! Surely he should have been sacked for that!!!

Who did he concede 7 at home to?

Ralph Hasenhuttl on 11:35 - Jun 18 with 764 viewsBison

After Austria's performance last night , maybe he will be getting a call from the Austrian FA and it will be taken out of our hands.

Trust no one in a circus.
Poll: Who do you blame for saints not winning every game ?

Ralph Hasenhuttl on 12:04 - Jun 18 with 755 viewsMattFinish

Ralph Hasenhuttl on 18:49 - Jun 17 by Butty101

I’m not interested in the league position as I’ve said several times. However thanks for confirming my point in your words that Ralph missed par by 3 places.
Again as I said earlier it’s a really bad last 2/3s of the season not half. I noticed you avoided my question to you, but I understand you struggle with detail.

By the way,before the initial lock down we were on a terrible run and looking over our shoulder. Had that season carried on without the lockdown it’s every chance we would have been relegated judging on what happened this season
[Post edited 18 Jun 2021 9:19]

You say you're not interested in the league position but keep banging on that 11th or 12th is par and said Ralph missed par by 3 places. You prefer to say three places rather than 2 points because it sounds worse.

I don’t struggle with detail at all. I notice the detail from your other posts that if someone disagrees with your point of view you start throwing around insults.

I agree we had a poor second half of the season. I’ve never said any different although I disagree that we were awful (and before you point out that you didn’t use the word awful, I’m paraphrasing).

What I was saying, which you seem to be struggling to grasp, is that there may be a reason we fell away, ergo, that we had the weakest squad in the PL and when we picked up injuries at a crucial time we had no cover. Players faded because we had to play the same core players week in week out.

Another bit of detail I notice is that you conveniently avoid reference to the period from Nov 2019 to Oct 2020 when only Manchester City and Manchester Utd picked up more points than us. How convenient that you don’t see that detail but then it doesn’t fit your agenda.
[Post edited 18 Jun 2021 12:24]
Ralph Hasenhuttl on 13:07 - Jun 18 with 725 viewsSadoldgit

Ralph Hasenhuttl on 09:22 - Jun 18 by Butty101

Who did he concede 7 at home to?

Aston Villa beat them 7-2 at Anfield last year. You were probably too busy writing up your Hasenhuttl Out placards to notice.
[Post edited 18 Jun 2021 13:09]
Ralph Hasenhuttl on 13:12 - Jun 18 with 713 viewsButty101

Ralph Hasenhuttl on 13:07 - Jun 18 by Sadoldgit

Aston Villa beat them 7-2 at Anfield last year. You were probably too busy writing up your Hasenhuttl Out placards to notice.
[Post edited 18 Jun 2021 13:09]

You might want to double check that, then come back and hold your hand to admit your mistake old man.

Ralph Hasenhuttl on 13:15 - Jun 18 with 704 viewsButty101

Ralph Hasenhuttl on 12:04 - Jun 18 by MattFinish

You say you're not interested in the league position but keep banging on that 11th or 12th is par and said Ralph missed par by 3 places. You prefer to say three places rather than 2 points because it sounds worse.

I don’t struggle with detail at all. I notice the detail from your other posts that if someone disagrees with your point of view you start throwing around insults.

I agree we had a poor second half of the season. I’ve never said any different although I disagree that we were awful (and before you point out that you didn’t use the word awful, I’m paraphrasing).

What I was saying, which you seem to be struggling to grasp, is that there may be a reason we fell away, ergo, that we had the weakest squad in the PL and when we picked up injuries at a crucial time we had no cover. Players faded because we had to play the same core players week in week out.

Another bit of detail I notice is that you conveniently avoid reference to the period from Nov 2019 to Oct 2020 when only Manchester City and Manchester Utd picked up more points than us. How convenient that you don’t see that detail but then it doesn’t fit your agenda.
[Post edited 18 Jun 2021 12:24]

What insults have i been throwing about at you?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024