Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ings has turned down a 4-year deal. He's off... 09:57 - Jul 5 with 7580 viewsblambo

Danny Ings turns down new 4y contract at Southampton. Deal would’ve made him best-paid player in #SaintsFC history but 28yo wants to test himself at higher level. Club must decide whether to sell this summer or lose for free in 2022
@TheAthleticUK
Ings has turned down a 4-year deal. He's off... on 10:06 - Jul 5 with 3673 viewsSonicBoom

It's going to be tricky for him but I guess he's already aware of interest.

He's been great for us but you still worry about him physically and he'll be getting to thirty in this contract.
Will a genuine top 4 club make him their main striker? I'd think his injury record would prevent that but he could do a job in a squad where they rotate for different competitions.
So where will he go? Maybe a bigger mid table team? Everton? Villa?

Anyway I say good luck to him, he's been good for us. The worry is that we will need to replace his 15-20 goals a season. I like Adams but he looks so far like he will be good for 10-12 and I don't think we have any youngsters coming through.
Ings has turned down a 4-year deal. He's off... on 10:41 - Jul 5 with 3584 viewsdarthvader

Ings has turned down a 4-year deal. He's off... on 10:06 - Jul 5 by SonicBoom

It's going to be tricky for him but I guess he's already aware of interest.

He's been great for us but you still worry about him physically and he'll be getting to thirty in this contract.
Will a genuine top 4 club make him their main striker? I'd think his injury record would prevent that but he could do a job in a squad where they rotate for different competitions.
So where will he go? Maybe a bigger mid table team? Everton? Villa?

Anyway I say good luck to him, he's been good for us. The worry is that we will need to replace his 15-20 goals a season. I like Adams but he looks so far like he will be good for 10-12 and I don't think we have any youngsters coming through.

I think Tella and Adams will come good esp if we get the lad Armstrong from Blackburn who i hear wants to sign for us .

As for Ings, disapointing . Had a good season last season,and first part of this season but looked off for many games since .if being paid around 100k a week for your home town club is not enough for you then goodbye . Its about money , greed .

He could be a legend down here , but no. He could run down his contract like he did at burnley to get even more wages .

i dont wish him mis fortune ofcourse not but he is injury prone so should becareful.

I heard spurs tapped him up ages ago but who knows

keep the faith coyr

Ings has turned down a 4-year deal. He's off... on 10:48 - Jul 5 with 3572 views1885_SFC

Test himself at a higher level?

WALOB. Maybe he's forgotten his time at Liverpool? It didn't really work out there & it won't work out now - because he's too easily crocked.

It's all about the money honey.

Old School is Cool

Ings has turned down a 4-year deal. He's off... on 11:09 - Jul 5 with 3525 viewsKennington

If true wonder what the deal offered was?

Poll: What age is too old for a striker?

Ings has turned down a 4-year deal. He's off... on 11:15 - Jul 5 with 3505 viewsbarry_sanchez

I remember having a discussion to SOG about greed and money, he couldn't get his head around the fact that players aren't bothered about clubs like Southampton if they believe they can play at another higher level, we're a stepping stone and that is all there is to it and the only way that will change is if we pay well over the odds and that is something we've never done at this level.

He who is silent and bows his head dies every time he does so. He who speaks aloud and walks with his head held high dies only once. —Giovanni Falcone
Poll: What is your favourite poll?

Ings has turned down a 4-year deal. He's off... on 11:35 - Jul 5 with 3421 viewsButty101

Ings has turned down a 4-year deal. He's off... on 11:15 - Jul 5 by barry_sanchez

I remember having a discussion to SOG about greed and money, he couldn't get his head around the fact that players aren't bothered about clubs like Southampton if they believe they can play at another higher level, we're a stepping stone and that is all there is to it and the only way that will change is if we pay well over the odds and that is something we've never done at this level.

Just shows playing for your home town club means very little to your modern player. That said if he goes to a Man City, Man U, Liverpool or Chelsea where he can win something then fair enough. If he goes to any of the clubs below that, then hes just another disappointing player who is just chasing the bucks.
I would let him run his contract down rather than sell him.

Poll: Has the Ross Stewart deal already paid off as Nick says?

Ings has turned down a 4-year deal. He's off... on 12:00 - Jul 5 with 3396 viewsdwayne_dibley

Ings has turned down a 4-year deal. He's off... on 11:35 - Jul 5 by Butty101

Just shows playing for your home town club means very little to your modern player. That said if he goes to a Man City, Man U, Liverpool or Chelsea where he can win something then fair enough. If he goes to any of the clubs below that, then hes just another disappointing player who is just chasing the bucks.

for most PL players their "Hometown club" is in Eastern Europe, Africa or the Isle of Man.

They have a ten year window at most to maximise the benefits of their football career. Then for most it is supermarket shelf stacking

Well, I say let's get out there and tw@t it!
Poll: Will you renew your Season Ticket for next season

Ings has turned down a 4-year deal. He's off... on 12:03 - Jul 5 with 3384 viewsTripleNiemi

Ings has turned down a 4-year deal. He's off... on 12:00 - Jul 5 by dwayne_dibley

for most PL players their "Hometown club" is in Eastern Europe, Africa or the Isle of Man.

They have a ten year window at most to maximise the benefits of their football career. Then for most it is supermarket shelf stacking

Can you please highlight any PL players (of the last ten or so years) that you know of who are 'stacking shelves' ??

Ready and waiting to mop up those European places......

Login to get fewer ads

Ings has turned down a 4-year deal. He's off... on 12:05 - Jul 5 with 3377 viewsobelisk

If he wants to go then cash in if anyone wants him. He'll probably be crocked for half the season anyway. Other strikers are available.
Ings has turned down a 4-year deal. He's off... on 12:09 - Jul 5 with 3359 viewsTripleNiemi

Being brutally honest i really don't give a fcuk anymore. Renewed my ST for the odd day out on the sauce, but other than that i really despise everything PL related.

Good luck to Ingsy though wherever he may end up.

Ready and waiting to mop up those European places......

Ings has turned down a 4-year deal. He's off... on 12:26 - Jul 5 with 3313 viewsSaintsforeverj

Was obvious he was leaving, as soon as his performances dropped off from Christmas onwards. I bet a deal is already done somewhere that has been arranged secretly for months. He has obviously been tapped up and to turn down being the highest paid player at the club he supports, well there you go. It's better he goes now, now that he has decided he doesn't want to be here.
[Post edited 5 Jul 2021 12:28]

Poll: Would you like Ings to come back?

Ings has turned down a 4-year deal. He's off... on 12:40 - Jul 5 with 3252 viewsSonicBoom

Ings has turned down a 4-year deal. He's off... on 11:35 - Jul 5 by Butty101

Easy to say keep him and let him go for free when its not your money. That could be 20-30 million.
If we take the money now we could use it to fund his replacement. If we don't then we'll have to find it from our own pocket next year.
Ings has turned down a 4-year deal. He's off... on 12:57 - Jul 5 with 3188 views1885_SFC

Ings was always going to leave - especially after best mate Bertrand decided to call it a day here on the South coast . We're going to spend the money on that lad Armstrong from Blackburn as his replacement I presume?

Playing the devil's advocate for a moment though... it will be interesting to see what happens regarding Vest & Ward-Prowse. If those two do go, following Bertrand & Ings, then questions will be asked about Ralph's management style and the general outlook/vibe of the club itself. During that dire run after Christmas, questions were asked of Ralph and the mood of the dressing room. With so many players jumping ship and wanting out - could there be some truth in it all?

Ease up. I'm just asking THE question - that's all !

Old School is Cool

Ings has turned down a 4-year deal. He's off... on 13:27 - Jul 5 with 3102 viewsSadoldgit

Ings has turned down a 4-year deal. He's off... on 11:15 - Jul 5 by barry_sanchez

So if it was all about greed why didn’t he sign the contract for more money and insist that it had a get out clause? He could have been earning more money for months. If the club weren’t prepared to insert a sell out clause he could have signed anyway and done a Virgil. If he goes to Everton or Villa (which I doubt) you may have a point. If he goes to where he will get European football you don’t. You tar everyone with the same brush Barry. Just because you might sell out to the highest bidder, it doesn’t mean that everyone is like that. If we keep him to his contract his chances of getting a big move will be less next year. If you are a top player, why wouldn’t you want to play in the biggest competitions?
Ings has turned down a 4-year deal. He's off... on 13:28 - Jul 5 with 3099 viewsSadoldgit

Ings has turned down a 4-year deal. He's off... on 12:57 - Jul 5 by 1885_SFC

Ings was always going to leave - especially after best mate Bertrand decided to call it a day here on the South coast . We're going to spend the money on that lad Armstrong from Blackburn as his replacement I presume?

Playing the devil's advocate for a moment though... it will be interesting to see what happens regarding Vest & Ward-Prowse. If those two do go, following Bertrand & Ings, then questions will be asked about Ralph's management style and the general outlook/vibe of the club itself. During that dire run after Christmas, questions were asked of Ralph and the mood of the dressing room. With so many players jumping ship and wanting out - could there be some truth in it all?

Ease up. I'm just asking THE question - that's all !

It would be a fair question if loads of players were queuing up to leave. Only one has left so far and that was at the end of his contract.
Ings has turned down a 4-year deal. He's off... on 13:39 - Jul 5 with 3062 viewssaint22

Seems he forgot that Liverpool sold him
Oh well lets flog him to Villa for 35m and bring in two or three others
Ings has turned down a 4-year deal. He's off... on 13:44 - Jul 5 with 3011 viewsButty101

Ings has turned down a 4-year deal. He's off... on 12:40 - Jul 5 by SonicBoom

Easy to say keep him and let him go for free when its not your money. That could be 20-30 million.
If we take the money now we could use it to fund his replacement. If we don't then we'll have to find it from our own pocket next year.

You are right its very easy to say :--)

Take him out of the team and we will struggle to score and be in danger of relegation. Relegation will cost the club a lot more.

Poll: Has the Ross Stewart deal already paid off as Nick says?

Ings has turned down a 4-year deal. He's off... on 14:10 - Jul 5 with 2984 viewsdirk_doone

Ings has turned down a 4-year deal. He's off... on 12:09 - Jul 5 by TripleNiemi

Being brutally honest i really don't give a fcuk anymore. Renewed my ST for the odd day out on the sauce, but other than that i really despise everything PL related.

Good luck to Ingsy though wherever he may end up.

It's nothing unique to Premier League clubs. Championship players leave for bigger clubs and more money too.

The Premier League has helped produce the strongest England squad ever. Playing in the best league in the world gives our players an advantage.

I understand that most of us on here had our youth back in the last century but for youngsters today, yearning for the days of terraces, muddy pitches, teams with British players only, heavy boots and balls is like yearning for working down the pits, national service and outside toilets.
[Post edited 5 Jul 2021 14:48]

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Ings has turned down a 4-year deal. He's off... on 14:51 - Jul 5 with 2909 viewsBerber

Ings has turned down a 4-year deal. He's off... on 14:10 - Jul 5 by dirk_doone

It's nothing unique to Premier League clubs. Championship players leave for bigger clubs and more money too.

The Premier League has helped produce the strongest England squad ever. Playing in the best league in the world gives our players an advantage.

I understand that most of us on here had our youth back in the last century but for youngsters today, yearning for the days of terraces, muddy pitches, teams with British players only, heavy boots and balls is like yearning for working down the pits, national service and outside toilets.
[Post edited 5 Jul 2021 14:48]

"I understand that most of us on here had our youth back in the last century " Oooof!
Ings has turned down a 4-year deal. He's off... on 15:02 - Jul 5 with 2885 viewssaints__fan__73

Don't forget PL prize money is £2m for very place higher you finish up the table.

So we take 20m now and finish 16th or keep him and his goals and finish 9th it's not such a huge financial loss and the club will be in a much healthier position for next season.

"Playing Devil's Advocate since 15th January 2014"
Poll: Have the events of the Summer made Nick feel closer to LFC?

Ings has turned down a 4-year deal. He's off... on 15:11 - Jul 5 with 2870 viewsdirk_doone

Ings has turned down a 4-year deal. He's off... on 14:51 - Jul 5 by Berber

"I understand that most of us on here had our youth back in the last century " Oooof!

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Ings has turned down a 4-year deal. He's off... on 15:27 - Jul 5 with 2805 viewsRon11

30 million may not fund his replacement.
Maybe it'll go in Gao's back pocket.
Ings has turned down a 4-year deal. He's off... on 15:46 - Jul 5 with 2772 viewsSonicBoom

If you are a player why wouldn't you want to play for the biggest club you can.

OK this won't be popular but ...
1. It's their job. They are not fans.
2. They want to play for the highest profile club they can. Top 4, top 6 whatever. I'd say in those terms we are behind all the top clubs plus West Ham, Everton, Spurs, and more recently Villa.
3. Players rarely move just for the cash. It's two fold, You get paid more AND you have an increased chance of success. So who wouldn't do that ?
4. Players look at Saints as a springboard to go to the top clubs. Show potential here and you can play for anyone. Ings had a tough time at Liverpool , he's recovered with us and clearly feels he can get back up to that level again.

It's frustrating as fans but that's the reality of our situation unless we are suddenly bought by some mad sheik.
Ings has turned down a 4-year deal. He's off... on 16:10 - Jul 5 with 2739 viewsA1079

Ings has turned down a 4-year deal. He's off... on 15:46 - Jul 5 by SonicBoom

If you are a player why wouldn't you want to play for the biggest club you can.

OK this won't be popular but ...
1. It's their job. They are not fans.
2. They want to play for the highest profile club they can. Top 4, top 6 whatever. I'd say in those terms we are behind all the top clubs plus West Ham, Everton, Spurs, and more recently Villa.
3. Players rarely move just for the cash. It's two fold, You get paid more AND you have an increased chance of success. So who wouldn't do that ?
4. Players look at Saints as a springboard to go to the top clubs. Show potential here and you can play for anyone. Ings had a tough time at Liverpool , he's recovered with us and clearly feels he can get back up to that level again.

It's frustrating as fans but that's the reality of our situation unless we are suddenly bought by some mad sheik.

Ibrahimovic wrote something along the lines that, fans expect you to love their club but for the most part you join a club as part of a career path. You want to get as far as you can and as high as you can. My boyhood club and the first club I played for is Malmo but I was never going to stay there once I knew I was wanted by clubs in Italy and Spain and I could potentially win trophies, increase my earnings and make myself a more valuable commodity. So your points Sonic valid. Many of us "old stagers" have fond memories of players that played for their local club and would even stay with their local club but reluctantly, even I have to admit, that is now as rare as Southampton winning a trophy.

Now Ings is slightly different in that he is supposedly a Saints fan and he may well be, but I guess he has looked at Saints and given it a go and thought, I could stay here and just see my career through but I think I am good enough to try again at a higher level.

My inclination therefore is, better to let him go as soon as possible, get some much needed revenue and hopefully use it wisely before the new season starts. The alternative is, he sees out the remaining season, he possibly gets another injury and does not play that much, he becomes an unsettling factor and at the end of it, we get nothing except a few vague memories.

Saintsforeverj - your message and question is a valid point as well. It will be interesting to see whether we lose more key players. But even the most rose tinted saints fan would have to see next season being anything other than a slog and a battle to avoid the drop.
Ings has turned down a 4-year deal. He's off... on 16:21 - Jul 5 with 2729 viewsSadoldgit

Ings has turned down a 4-year deal. He's off... on 15:27 - Jul 5 by Ron11

30 million may not fund his replacement.
Maybe it'll go in Gao's back pocket.

I have no idea if that would be the case, but given that every penny made by the club is spent by the club I would be very surprised if he started asset stripping now. If he wants top dollar for the club he needs it to be competitive. It makes more sense to improve the playing squad to make the acquisition more attractive to would be investors.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024