Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Third Covid Wave 10:36 - Jul 16 with 54608 viewsSadoldgit

Infection and hospital rates climbing rapidly. Death rates projected at 200 per day. Nearly 4m people at serious risk. New information coming out about the problems Covid cause the body if it doesn’t kill you. People laid up for the best part of a year with serious complications. Concern over the AstraZenica vaccine. Is it really wise to lift most of the restrictions on Monday? We have been told that we aren’t going back into another lockdown situation no matter what, but Whitty seems to think it might have to be on the cards.
[Post edited 18 Jul 2021 9:29]
Third Covid Wave on 10:47 - Jul 16 with 8255 viewsdirk_doone

Unfortunately the country can't continue indefinitely with these restrictions. The economy will eventually collapse. Now that everybody who wants to be has been vaccinated, it's time to get back to normal. No time is perfect but there's unlikely to be a better time. No politician dares mention the words 'herd immunity' but that's what we''re going to get.

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Third Covid Wave on 11:08 - Jul 16 with 8237 viewsBerber

Third Covid Wave on 10:47 - Jul 16 by dirk_doone

Unfortunately the country can't continue indefinitely with these restrictions. The economy will eventually collapse. Now that everybody who wants to be has been vaccinated, it's time to get back to normal. No time is perfect but there's unlikely to be a better time. No politician dares mention the words 'herd immunity' but that's what we''re going to get.

I agree. One way or another, herd immunity is the only long term way out anyway. The virus will get to everyone that it can kill eventually, and the only hope was for vaccination to accelerate the rate of immunity, but as always acknowledged, it is not 100% effective. Lockdowns are effectively, only hiding. The virus doesn't disappear, it is here for good, but that message doesn't seem to register (or at least, the consequences of it).

Sure, it is a slightly scary time, and some measures like mask wearing are a small but valuable sacrifice to help spread the burden. Sadly, we have to face the demon though.
Third Covid Wave on 11:18 - Jul 16 with 8218 viewsPatfromPoole

I caught what I suspect will become known as the Wembley variant, as did thousands of others last week.

I knew the risks, so it’s my own fault.

Denmark semi-final was a super spreader. I know of many, many fans who caught it last Wednesday.

As for the final, London was utter carnage from midday until midnight, so numbers will again be very high.

Getting towards herd immunity with these “test events”…….

Poll: If we win a play-off semi at St. Mary’s should there be a pitch invasion?

Third Covid Wave on 11:35 - Jul 16 with 8213 views1885_SFC

Bearing in mind how thick and moronic many England fans are when it comes to mixing booze all day and football in the sunshine - they should have made the game a 12 midday kick-off... 1pm at the latest.

Old School is Cool

Third Covid Wave on 11:45 - Jul 16 with 8204 viewsPatfromPoole

Third Covid Wave on 11:35 - Jul 16 by 1885_SFC

Bearing in mind how thick and moronic many England fans are when it comes to mixing booze all day and football in the sunshine - they should have made the game a 12 midday kick-off... 1pm at the latest.

Never going to happen with TV advertising revenues at stake.

Sunday night at 8pm is going to be peak viewing time. Didn’t 41 million watch it in the UK, between TV and streaming services??

I’m just lucky I got in the ground, given the bedlam there……

Poll: If we win a play-off semi at St. Mary’s should there be a pitch invasion?

Third Covid Wave on 12:00 - Jul 16 with 8190 viewsSadoldgit

I understand the herd immunity argument but how many people will die or get seriously ill before we get there? If we had carried on with this plan last year they are talking about 500,000 deaths or more. The vaccine will keep the numbers down, but we could be in for another large mortality rate by the end of the year. I appreciate the need to move on, but a staged release of rules rather than the sudden change would seem to be more prudent.
Third Covid Wave on 12:21 - Jul 16 with 8174 viewsdwayne_dibley

Third Covid Wave on 12:00 - Jul 16 by Sadoldgit

I understand the herd immunity argument but how many people will die or get seriously ill before we get there? If we had carried on with this plan last year they are talking about 500,000 deaths or more. The vaccine will keep the numbers down, but we could be in for another large mortality rate by the end of the year. I appreciate the need to move on, but a staged release of rules rather than the sudden change would seem to be more prudent.

with the Triple Lock giving an 8% pension rise the Treasury will want to cull out the elderly and infirm to manage the budget

Well, I say let's get out there and tw@t it!
Poll: Will you renew your Season Ticket for next season

Third Covid Wave on 14:17 - Jul 16 with 8139 viewsSadoldgit

Third Covid Wave on 12:21 - Jul 16 by dwayne_dibley

with the Triple Lock giving an 8% pension rise the Treasury will want to cull out the elderly and infirm to manage the budget

Indeed! Not a good time to be old in this country! We are going to carry on as before and keep our heads down. We have both had our jabs but don’t want to get it and don’t want to be responsible for passing it on to others.
Login to get fewer ads

Third Covid Wave on 14:38 - Jul 16 with 8122 viewsBerber

Third Covid Wave on 12:00 - Jul 16 by Sadoldgit

It is the vaccination programme that determines how many people will die (over time). I do agree that a more staged but still quite rapid release from lockdown measures would have been a better approach, given the stage of vaccination we have reached, or will have done by next Monday. There is a significant proportion of the population (younger males especially) who will insist on maintaining their rights to not wear masks, socially distance or be safe generally. Whilst a third of adults will not be fully protected at that stage, probably the majority of them will be in the vaccination/immunity process. The majority of the rest will knowingly not vaccinate on the spurious basis that "I'm not doing anyone any harm," but will not have bothered to find out any of the facts, or accept any of the many good arguments in favour of vaccination. They will, however, no doubt expect every effort is made to help them and theirs in the event any are hospitalised. The only real sin is selfishness.
Third Covid Wave on 15:15 - Jul 16 with 8105 viewsSaintal7

To Berber so perhaps you would be so kind to enlighten us to what the facts are about these experimental vaccines are long term ?
Third Covid Wave on 15:36 - Jul 16 with 8080 viewsSaintsforeverj

All elderly and vulnerable people are double vaccinated. So who are the ones dying? It's mostly unvaccinated, so why haven't they got vaccinated? All 18 plus have been offered a jab. Get a jab for goodness sake, if you haven't done so.

You could argue for a more cautious release, but we are in the period of mask wearing and social distancing, yet the infection rate is going up anyway. This just seems to go on and on. What will happen when there are 70 000 fans at PL grounds in a few weeks? At some point life has to go on. We could have a cautious approach now, only to still have horrendous infection rates again in December. So we continue with restrictions forever? It's not going away, so it's either live with it, protect those most at risk with vaccines, give people the choice to protect themselves by a jab or restrictions forever (with the final choice probably causing civil unrest).

Poll: Would you like Ings to come back?

Third Covid Wave on 15:46 - Jul 16 with 8076 viewsBerber

Third Covid Wave on 15:15 - Jul 16 by Saintal7

To Berber so perhaps you would be so kind to enlighten us to what the facts are about these experimental vaccines are long term ?

Keep grasping the straws chap.
Third Covid Wave on 17:12 - Jul 16 with 8039 viewsSadoldgit

Third Covid Wave on 14:38 - Jul 16 by Berber

It is the vaccination programme that determines how many people will die (over time). I do agree that a more staged but still quite rapid release from lockdown measures would have been a better approach, given the stage of vaccination we have reached, or will have done by next Monday. There is a significant proportion of the population (younger males especially) who will insist on maintaining their rights to not wear masks, socially distance or be safe generally. Whilst a third of adults will not be fully protected at that stage, probably the majority of them will be in the vaccination/immunity process. The majority of the rest will knowingly not vaccinate on the spurious basis that "I'm not doing anyone any harm," but will not have bothered to find out any of the facts, or accept any of the many good arguments in favour of vaccination. They will, however, no doubt expect every effort is made to help them and theirs in the event any are hospitalised. The only real sin is selfishness.

Those vaccinated can become infected and pass on the virus. They may not be at risk of death or serious illness but the people they pass it on to could be. Chris Whitty is no mug. If he is saying that we might have to lock down again in 5 weeks there will be a good reason for it.
Third Covid Wave on 17:35 - Jul 16 with 8021 viewsBerber

Third Covid Wave on 17:12 - Jul 16 by Sadoldgit

Those vaccinated can become infected and pass on the virus. They may not be at risk of death or serious illness but the people they pass it on to could be. Chris Whitty is no mug. If he is saying that we might have to lock down again in 5 weeks there will be a good reason for it.

I understand that, but once all the people who want to be vaccinated have been so, there are remain those that cannot be vaccinated, and those that don't want to be. Those that cannot, need to be shielded and protected, but not by everyone else losing their freedoms indefinitely. If vaccinations are complete, the only way to test the most likely outcome, is to go for it, not live half lives in a frightened limbo. Those that don't want to be vaccinated are clearly prepared to either take their chances, else expect the rest of us to suffer for their benefit. In either case, I'm happy to show them the same regard as they are showing the rest of us and put myself first in this case.

I guess, like you, probably, I've had a fairly long and fairly full life. I've no intention of wasting another year for the sake of selfish oiks (and all the ones I've spoken to in that camp qualify for that title).
Third Covid Wave on 00:09 - Jul 17 with 7916 viewsDorsetIan

The govt has lost the plot on Covid and are just winging it now, making it up as they go along.

Clearly they are happy for Covid to now rip through the population, but now the numbers are so large track and trace is going bonkers and telling so many people to isolate - many of whom are double jabbed. If track and trace worked, the numbers wouldn’t be soaring. It’s too late for it now. Absolutely pointless in terms of stooping a massive third wave, but creating economic havoc nevertheless.

And meanwhile they are changing their minds every second about foreign travel.

When people make things up as they go along, nothing is joined up, nothing makes sense, and failure is usually the result. We are seeing all that.

And I haven’t even mentioned that this whole Delta variant wave is down to Johnson not red listing India because he wanted a Brexit PR op in Dehli.

Absolute shambles.

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

Third Covid Wave on 01:19 - Jul 17 with 7899 viewsdarthvader

Third Covid Wave on 00:09 - Jul 17 by DorsetIan

The govt has lost the plot on Covid and are just winging it now, making it up as they go along.

Clearly they are happy for Covid to now rip through the population, but now the numbers are so large track and trace is going bonkers and telling so many people to isolate - many of whom are double jabbed. If track and trace worked, the numbers wouldn’t be soaring. It’s too late for it now. Absolutely pointless in terms of stooping a massive third wave, but creating economic havoc nevertheless.

When people make things up as they go along, nothing is joined up, nothing makes sense, and failure is usually the result. We are seeing all that.

And I haven’t even mentioned that this whole Delta variant wave is down to Johnson not red listing India because he wanted a Brexit PR op in Dehli.

Absolute shambles.

Freedom day is not happening in my house , my daughter is v poorly and had a positive result today ,she has lost weight ,voice nearly gone, aches ,tired , chest pains bad headache breathless shakes the Sh.its
she has had one jab, is 22 and been suffering for the last 5 days ..the irony is she was a key worker throughout the pandemic through the lockdowns and did everything right . No problems .

Now she Left her job, finished uni and been offered a new job in the old bill, so took a few weeks off before starting - to move home etc . (she now lives with me , so i am isolating now )

I think i had covid feb/march 2020 and since then have had flu jab and both covid vaccs .. Despite being in the same house and taking precautions ,as best as poss i (touchwood) havent felt any symptoms, i have a pcr test tomorrow and the covid police are hot on my ass to make sure im isolating .

Covid is here to stay , it affects different people in differing ways

I for one will be cautious when i do go out and about will wear mask etc the same as the last eighteen months . I dont want it and i dont want to spread it .

keep the faith coyr

Third Covid Wave on 01:23 - Jul 17 with 7896 viewsGennaro_Contaldo

Absolute shambles.

Agree with this in part.

There are now many companies (mine included) telling people to carry on as before and not rush back to the office. More people are carrying it and more people are ill, even those vaccinated and those companies that rely on people being present are being stung by illness. Rolls Royce was one I noticed that had huge illness and absence, but also the NHS is suffering again, because so many people are isolating and "non urgent" appointments and operations are being cancelled AGAIN.

When the f**k will people wake up? Avoid contact, wear masks, wash your hands, get vaccinated.

On that last point, the volume of anti vaccination type is astounding. If you're reading, you are a horrific human being, Get vaccinated.

The UI; For the sophisticated gentleman
Poll: Where will Saints finish in the 2018/19 season

Third Covid Wave on 06:45 - Jul 17 with 7843 viewsBerber

Absolute shambles.

Do the maths. 50,000 cases a day is 350,000 in a week. The R number is between 1.2 and 1.4, so the 350,000 becomes about 470,000 infections. Close contacts will be more than that, so the media hysteria about 500,000 T&T pings is not down to a system not doing the job properly.

In January when positive cases were at this level, the media were waving the flag saying that T&T were not contacting ENOUGH people.

If you accept media headlines as the best assessment of how things really are, it is you that is bonkers, not the T&T or the government.
Third Covid Wave on 07:37 - Jul 17 with 7827 viewsJaySaint

what do you recommend? lockdown forever?

650 die every day of cancer. 60k people died of flu a couple of winters ago.

lockdown forever?

Poll: Who is responsible for Liverpool's defeat?

Third Covid Wave on 08:29 - Jul 17 with 7798 viewssaintwizzler

We can’t lockdown forever.
Everyone needs to get double jabbed ASAP.
I feel sorry for the people who can’t have the jab or catch the virus in between jabs.

Those who refuse to have it, well fûck em.
It cuts down transmission and if they have no regard for their own health then please think of others.

Get that covid passport in.

We thought that we had the answers, It was the questions we had wrong.
Poll: Knowing what we know now, should we have sacked Hasenhüttl?

Third Covid Wave on 08:41 - Jul 17 with 7793 viewsDorsetIan

Third Covid Wave on 06:45 - Jul 17 by Berber

Do the maths. 50,000 cases a day is 350,000 in a week. The R number is between 1.2 and 1.4, so the 350,000 becomes about 470,000 infections. Close contacts will be more than that, so the media hysteria about 500,000 T&T pings is not down to a system not doing the job properly.

In January when positive cases were at this level, the media were waving the flag saying that T&T were not contacting ENOUGH people.

If you accept media headlines as the best assessment of how things really are, it is you that is bonkers, not the T&T or the government.

You’ve completely missed the point.

T&T is meant to avoid large surges. It’s meant to nip them in the bud when numbers are low. It clearly hasn’t done that this time (or any time).

Kicking in when numbers are already through the roof is pointless imo. Especially when the govt otherwise seems very happy for the thing to let rip. It just puts heathy people out of action economically and does very little to control a virus which is already out of control.

It’s like every smoke alarm in your house going off because every single room is on fire. Too late and absolutely nothing to be pleased about.

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

Third Covid Wave on 08:54 - Jul 17 with 7774 viewsJaySaint

Third Covid Wave on 08:41 - Jul 17 by DorsetIan

You’ve completely missed the point.

T&T is meant to avoid large surges. It’s meant to nip them in the bud when numbers are low. It clearly hasn’t done that this time (or any time).

Kicking in when numbers are already through the roof is pointless imo. Especially when the govt otherwise seems very happy for the thing to let rip. It just puts heathy people out of action economically and does very little to control a virus which is already out of control.

It’s like every smoke alarm in your house going off because every single room is on fire. Too late and absolutely nothing to be pleased about.

I know plenty of people are have been T&T'd

A couple hav Covid, have a few sniffles. Nearly all do not, have tested negative but still have to isolate. This is utter madness

Third Covid Wave on 09:00 - Jul 17 with 7771 viewsRon11

Third Covid Wave on 08:29 - Jul 17 by saintwizzler

We can’t lockdown forever.
Everyone needs to get double jabbed ASAP.
I feel sorry for the people who can’t have the jab or catch the virus in between jabs.

Those who refuse to have it, well fûck em.
It cuts down transmission and if they have no regard for their own health then please think of others.

Get that covid passport in.

The covid passport is one key.
No passport (two jabs) no entry anywhere, end of story.
Boris is shit scared to do this because of the inevitable protests, but this can't can't go on forever.
Third Covid Wave on 10:00 - Jul 17 with 7744 viewsSadoldgit

Third Covid Wave on 08:54 - Jul 17 by JaySaint

I know plenty of people are have been T&T'd

A couple hav Covid, have a few sniffles. Nearly all do not, have tested negative but still have to isolate. This is utter madness

You can test negative but still pass the virus on, hence the isolation. The surge in infection numbers should be a concern to all.
Third Covid Wave on 10:16 - Jul 17 with 7728 viewsJaySaint

Third Covid Wave on 10:00 - Jul 17 by Sadoldgit

You can test negative but still pass the virus on, hence the isolation. The surge in infection numbers should be a concern to all.

Lockdown forever then?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024