Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What happened to the £109m Liverpool paid Southampton? 12:27 - Jul 24 with 1691 viewsdirk_doone

This:

https://www.hampshirelive.news/sport/football/transfer-news/liverpool-southampto

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

What happened to the £109m Liverpool paid Southampton? on 13:15 - Jul 24 with 1617 viewsthissceptredsaint

When you see that list and see the money absolutely frittered away on flops it's begs the question when will those responsible for such profligacy be called on by Boris Johnson to act as consultants.

Absolutely shocking.

The clubs recruitment policy has been a disaster. There is no other way to describe it.
What happened to the £109m Liverpool paid Southampton? on 13:16 - Jul 24 with 1617 viewsPatfromPoole

We never paid £22 million for Vestergaard.

If we paid £16 million for Elyounoussi then somebody should be held accountable for fraud / money laundering.

Poll: If we win a play-off semi at St. Mary’s should there be a pitch invasion?

What happened to the £109m Liverpool paid Southampton? on 13:43 - Jul 24 with 1588 viewsDorsetIan

For me it suggests that there huge risk in spending money in the £10m - £20m bracket. You can end up with someone who is good, but not quite good enough.

Best buys were Armstrong and Bednarak, both of whom cost under £10m.

The worst of the lot is Djenepo who came later but who is also in that first category, I think.

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

What happened to the £109m Liverpool paid Southampton? on 13:57 - Jul 24 with 1571 viewsPatfromPoole

What happened to the £109m Liverpool paid Southampton? on 13:43 - Jul 24 by DorsetIan

For me it suggests that there huge risk in spending money in the £10m - £20m bracket. You can end up with someone who is good, but not quite good enough.

The worst of the lot is Djenepo who came later but who is also in that first category, I think.

Djenepo isn’t worse than Elyounoussi…..

Poll: If we win a play-off semi at St. Mary’s should there be a pitch invasion?

What happened to the £109m Liverpool paid Southampton? on 13:58 - Jul 24 with 1568 viewsbattler

What happened to the £109m Liverpool paid Southampton? on 13:43 - Jul 24 by DorsetIan

You really dont rate Djenepo do you.
Whilst I agree he is not a first team regular I still feel he has a future as an impact sub. I would rather keep him than Redmond who I feel has become stale at Saints and needs a move elsewhere.
What happened to the £109m Liverpool paid Southampton? on 14:04 - Jul 24 with 1564 viewscocklebreath

Carillo was the worst by a mile

Poll: Who is the biggest c*nt?

What happened to the £109m Liverpool paid Southampton? on 14:22 - Jul 24 with 1546 viewsI_would

Reed must have been 'friendly' with the agents. Yet he still manages to pop up from nowhere with some pearls of wisdom looking for a bit of publicity for his new 'football role'.

Whatever happened to our state-of-the-art black box, which everyone was envious of, I wonder?
[Post edited 24 Jul 2021 14:22]

Poll: How many players should RH play at the back on Saturday?

What happened to the £109m Liverpool paid Southampton? on 14:43 - Jul 24 with 1522 viewspjt50

Out of the 13 I make it 6 successes (Redmond, Hojbjerg, McCarthy, Bednarek, Armstrong, Vestergaard) & a couple of neutrals.

Even some of the flops have given us fun along the way.

In the price bracket we're working in, this success rate probably isn't that bad. Every 10-20 million player is that price because either they haven't proven themselves to be Premier League standard or their career is on the way down. Otherwise they'd be well outside our budget.

The Premier League is littered with more disastrous buys than ours.

Poll: Where do you hope to see Salisu start (OK, I know we haven't seen him yet)?

Login to get fewer ads

What happened to the £109m Liverpool paid Southampton? on 14:59 - Jul 24 with 1494 viewsUlsterBaz

What happened to the £109m Liverpool paid Southampton? on 14:04 - Jul 24 by cocklebreath

Carillo was the worst by a mile

Absolutely, and that’s some achievement when you look at the other dross on that list that we spunked tens of millions of pounds on.
What happened to the £109m Liverpool paid Southampton? on 15:33 - Jul 24 with 1466 views1teeminants

What happened to the £109m Liverpool paid Southampton? on 13:16 - Jul 24 by PatfromPoole

We never paid £22 million for Vestergaard.

If we paid £16 million for Elyounoussi then somebody should be held accountable for fraud / money laundering.

I hear Ralph has been very impressed with him so far in training 🤣

Poll: Would you take an Fa Cup win if it meant relegation to the championship ?

What happened to the £109m Liverpool paid Southampton? on 15:56 - Jul 24 with 1445 viewsKennington

We had a brilliant run on punts - Mane, VvD, Wanyama, Fonte, Lambert etc. All of those could have been flops. The problem was we thought we never had to buy ready made talent again but could continue to buy cheap (by premier league standards) and every time these players would magically be top/good premier league players. That was never going to happen. A bit like someone playing roulette who keeps shovelling money on red and keeps winning. Problem is inevitably things will turn and black will appear. Basically that was our transfer policy but to make things worse we got more arrogant and started shopping in slightly higher priced bargain bins than before and rather than £10m they were £16m. So we were buying more expensive gambles. I just don’t get why someone didn’t say stop gambling and instead build the team around 3 or 4 genuine premier league proven players as at that time we had enough in transfer funds to do that.

Poll: What age is too old for a striker?

What happened to the £109m Liverpool paid Southampton? on 16:03 - Jul 24 with 1435 viewsdirk_doone

What happened to the £109m Liverpool paid Southampton? on 14:22 - Jul 24 by I_would

Reed must have been 'friendly' with the agents. Yet he still manages to pop up from nowhere with some pearls of wisdom looking for a bit of publicity for his new 'football role'.

Whatever happened to our state-of-the-art black box, which everyone was envious of, I wonder?

"Whatever happened to our state-of-the-art black box, which everyone was envious of?"

Paul 'Black Box' Mitchell went to Spurs. He's now DOF at Monaco.

What happened to the £109m Liverpool paid Southampton? on 16:04 - Jul 24 with 1432 viewsDellHero_Would

What happened to the £109m Liverpool paid Southampton? on 15:56 - Jul 24 by Kennington

We had a brilliant run on punts - Mane, VvD, Wanyama, Fonte, Lambert etc. All of those could have been flops. The problem was we thought we never had to buy ready made talent again but could continue to buy cheap (by premier league standards) and every time these players would magically be top/good premier league players. That was never going to happen. A bit like someone playing roulette who keeps shovelling money on red and keeps winning. Problem is inevitably things will turn and black will appear. Basically that was our transfer policy but to make things worse we got more arrogant and started shopping in slightly higher priced bargain bins than before and rather than £10m they were £16m. So we were buying more expensive gambles. I just don’t get why someone didn’t say stop gambling and instead build the team around 3 or 4 genuine premier league proven players as at that time we had enough in transfer funds to do that.

Spot bollock as we used to say. Do people still say that? Lol

Poll: Wearing a mask

What happened to the £109m Liverpool paid Southampton? on 16:12 - Jul 24 with 1419 viewsdirk_doone

Eventually the money was spread too thinly. Basically, for every good player sold we bought two average ones, then for every average player sold we bought two poor ones, leading to the overall decline in quality and a squad overfowing with substandard players we've had to loan out to any club prepared to pay part of their wages. There are exceptions but that's the overall picture.

[Post edited 24 Jul 2021 16:17]

What happened to the £109m Liverpool paid Southampton? on 16:27 - Jul 24 with 1391 viewsI_would

What happened to the £109m Liverpool paid Southampton? on 16:03 - Jul 24 by dirk_doone

"Whatever happened to our state-of-the-art black box, which everyone was envious of?"

Paul 'Black Box' Mitchell went to Spurs. He's now DOF at Monaco.

Does look like he was in charge of the software but Les tried his best to pretend he was involved to bask in the glory.

Poll: How many players should RH play at the back on Saturday?

What happened to the £109m Liverpool paid Southampton? on 17:56 - Jul 24 with 1318 viewsTripleNiemi

What happened to the £109m Liverpool paid Southampton? on 14:22 - Jul 24 by I_would

Ahhh....Les Reed. Does anyone else miss seeing his wonderful mug when the club signs new recruits?

Ready and waiting to mop up those European places......

What happened to the £109m Liverpool paid Southampton? on 17:58 - Jul 24 with 1315 viewsdwayne_dibley

Basically Reed phoned Rednapp who sent over a crate of brown envelopes and away they went

Well, I say let's get out there and tw@t it!
Poll: Will you renew your Season Ticket for next season

What happened to the £109m Liverpool paid Southampton? on 19:14 - Jul 24 with 1275 viewsDorsetIan

What happened to the £109m Liverpool paid Southampton? on 13:58 - Jul 24 by battler

You really dont rate Djenepo do you.
Whilst I agree he is not a first team regular I still feel he has a future as an impact sub. I would rather keep him than Redmond who I feel has become stale at Saints and needs a move elsewhere.

I could make a case for Djenepo being worse than Carillo and Elyounoussi, but I appreciate that Carillo particularly offers stiff competition! Can we maybe agree that Djennepo is another flop (so far) in that £10-20m range.

And I’m getting the feeling that we might get a chance to see a bit more of Elyounoussi this season, so maybe his time at Celtic will have sharpened him up a bit. He’s certainly not been a complete disaster up there.

We certainly need one of Djennepo, Redmond or one of our returning loanees to improve.

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024