Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Newcastle 2-2 Southampton 16:59 - Aug 28 with 1130 viewsElijahK

What does everyone make of the team performance today and how Ralph was with his tactics and such.

Poll: Should the football be on again next weekend

Newcastle 2-2 Southampton on 17:07 - Aug 28 with 1083 views1885_SFC

I'm just pleased that the forum pleb I_would won't be posting after JWP's late penalty. No doubt he was at home in his Bob The Builder PJ's - hovering over the keyboard and waiting to post more drivel about the skipper and a loss. Shame old JWP has pissed all over your chips late on eh I_would...

Old School is Cool

Newcastle 2-2 Southampton on 17:13 - Aug 28 with 1048 viewsCity_boy

It would have been hard to take had we lost that. We totally dominated the first half but didn't score.
It was probably the worst performance of any home premiership team I had seen. Newcastle just defended in numbers, hoping for a breakaway, which they ultimately got.

Djenepo's miss was horrendous, but overall you couldn't fault the effort.

My MoTM was Salisu (closely followed by Livramento). Armstrong was quiet, and appeared to shoot on sight, but did get us the penalty.

I think Newcastle could go down this year.
I know we have only got 2 points, but there is a marked improvement from how finished last season.
[Post edited 28 Aug 2021 17:14]
Newcastle 2-2 Southampton on 17:14 - Aug 28 with 1040 viewsSadoldgit

Should have gone in 1 or 2 up but there were late signs that they were getting their counter going at the end of the half and so it proved early in the second. Fought our way back and a draw was probably a fair result and then we conspired to lose it with another failure to deal with a counter but fair play, we came back again at the death with great play from Bertie and Armstrong and nerves of steel from the captain. Good subs from Ralph again but we are so open to the counter. Salisu my MotM
Newcastle 2-2 Southampton on 17:20 - Aug 28 with 1017 viewsUlsterBaz

Left it late but we definitely deserved something out of the game today. I’d have taken a draw before the match.
Newcastle 2-2 Southampton on 15:33 - Aug 30 with 659 viewsSadoldgit

Newcastle 2-2 Southampton on 17:20 - Aug 28 by UlsterBaz

Left it late but we definitely deserved something out of the game today. I’d have taken a draw before the match.

I actually fancied us to with this and have three points out of the first three games. If this had been in the second half of last season I don’t think we would have come back from last last minute goal.
Newcastle 2-2 Southampton on 20:41 - Aug 30 with 602 viewsA1079

Had a good weekend in Newcastle as part of delayed birthday celebrations.

My take on the game is this:-

For the first 20 minutes I wondered what on earth MOTD would find to say about the game because the football was dire and although we had the possession we weren't going anywhere. Then came the Djenepro miss.

Newcastle were truly awful and you just thought they would not be that bad in the 2nd half and we had missed a great chance to turn the screw.

The 2nd half was better and was entertaining but in truth it couldn't be much worse. We did have a game but in reality to me this still looked like 2 poor sides. We were the better but we lacked that cutting edge and so it was Newcastle who took the lead on the break on 2 occasions, which they really didn't deserve.

So for me what was the pluses:
- for the 2nd game in a row we have conceded but did not give up which has tended to be the trait for the most part from the 2nd half of last season and arguably to some degree against Everton in the first game,
- we finally came from behind on 2 occasions on Saturday - something else we have done little of in the recent past
- some of the players that have been on the edge made a difference - Elyounoussi for one and I concede I have struggled to sing the praises of Redmond but on Saturday he came on and was instrumental in us getting a point
- Livramento just looks class though I thought he was better against Everton and Man Utd

But, our achilles heel issues of which there is more than one (I am not sure whether you can have more than one achilles heel but anyway) still were there for all to see on Saturday:-
- our tendency to concede within 10-15 minutes of a restart
- our stark failure to score and turn the screw when we are on top and put games to bed (even under Koeman we would often have one good 45 minutes and one poor but the difference is, we made the game ours in the good 45 minutes);
- when we are attacking we lose the ball and then vulnerable to counter-attack which more often than not we then go behind

Alot of emphasis is made about our defensive failings but we are poor at converting possession and chances into goals. Adams was great against Man U but I almost forgot he was there on Saturday. Djenepro has got quite a bit of stick but I still think there is a good player there that needs taking to one side. He needs to be less selfish and more composed. That said, many of us were bewildered as to what Tella has done to not justify a start.

The core of our team played pretty well overall and I thought Salisu played well but he is not a leader yet at the back and we are missing that, but I think he will get there.

Overall I came away feeling relatively positive about us but we need to make our possession and our chances count - which is stating the bleeding obvious. At the moment I think we have a season of struggle but I don't feel it is all doom and gloom. There is a good team there. It just needs to all click at the same time.

On the matter of Newcastle. They are a strange side. Last season there were numerous games which I saw them on TV and they were as bad this Saturday as they were then, yet somehow they seem to pull something out of the bag and when the crunch comes they get a result or the points they need.

In all the times I have been to Newcastle I have never seen so many rows of empty seats and that was across all sides of the stadium. Even when they went into the lead the vocal support was muted.

Before the season started I was not sure whether I was that bothered about getting back into watching the game live. 3 games in and I have. Whatever we dish up, good, bad or otherwise when it comes down to it, there is nothing like being there and sharing the experience with your fellow fans.
Newcastle 2-2 Southampton on 07:23 - Aug 31 with 525 viewssaintwizzler

Newcastle 2-2 Southampton on 20:41 - Aug 30 by A1079

Had a good weekend in Newcastle as part of delayed birthday celebrations.

My take on the game is this:-

For the first 20 minutes I wondered what on earth MOTD would find to say about the game because the football was dire and although we had the possession we weren't going anywhere. Then came the Djenepro miss.

Newcastle were truly awful and you just thought they would not be that bad in the 2nd half and we had missed a great chance to turn the screw.

The 2nd half was better and was entertaining but in truth it couldn't be much worse. We did have a game but in reality to me this still looked like 2 poor sides. We were the better but we lacked that cutting edge and so it was Newcastle who took the lead on the break on 2 occasions, which they really didn't deserve.

So for me what was the pluses:
- for the 2nd game in a row we have conceded but did not give up which has tended to be the trait for the most part from the 2nd half of last season and arguably to some degree against Everton in the first game,
- we finally came from behind on 2 occasions on Saturday - something else we have done little of in the recent past
- some of the players that have been on the edge made a difference - Elyounoussi for one and I concede I have struggled to sing the praises of Redmond but on Saturday he came on and was instrumental in us getting a point
- Livramento just looks class though I thought he was better against Everton and Man Utd

But, our achilles heel issues of which there is more than one (I am not sure whether you can have more than one achilles heel but anyway) still were there for all to see on Saturday:-
- our tendency to concede within 10-15 minutes of a restart
- our stark failure to score and turn the screw when we are on top and put games to bed (even under Koeman we would often have one good 45 minutes and one poor but the difference is, we made the game ours in the good 45 minutes);
- when we are attacking we lose the ball and then vulnerable to counter-attack which more often than not we then go behind

Alot of emphasis is made about our defensive failings but we are poor at converting possession and chances into goals. Adams was great against Man U but I almost forgot he was there on Saturday. Djenepro has got quite a bit of stick but I still think there is a good player there that needs taking to one side. He needs to be less selfish and more composed. That said, many of us were bewildered as to what Tella has done to not justify a start.

The core of our team played pretty well overall and I thought Salisu played well but he is not a leader yet at the back and we are missing that, but I think he will get there.

Overall I came away feeling relatively positive about us but we need to make our possession and our chances count - which is stating the bleeding obvious. At the moment I think we have a season of struggle but I don't feel it is all doom and gloom. There is a good team there. It just needs to all click at the same time.

On the matter of Newcastle. They are a strange side. Last season there were numerous games which I saw them on TV and they were as bad this Saturday as they were then, yet somehow they seem to pull something out of the bag and when the crunch comes they get a result or the points they need.

In all the times I have been to Newcastle I have never seen so many rows of empty seats and that was across all sides of the stadium. Even when they went into the lead the vocal support was muted.

Before the season started I was not sure whether I was that bothered about getting back into watching the game live. 3 games in and I have. Whatever we dish up, good, bad or otherwise when it comes down to it, there is nothing like being there and sharing the experience with your fellow fans.

Newcastle are poor but they play to their strengths.
Saint-Maxim and Wilson.
Both are too good for them.
Whenever Saint-Maxim got the ball there was always something going to happen.
He attacks players and beats them or draws a foul.
I hope Djenepo, Elyounoussi, Tella, and Redmond take note.
Livramento and KWP pose more threat playing full back than our ‘wingers’.

Time to play them both down the right side?

We thought that we had the answers, It was the questions we had wrong.
Poll: Knowing what we know now, should we have sacked Hasenhüttl?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024