Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Palace Banner Police 07:49 - Oct 24 with 1561 viewsHeisenberg

So Crystal Palace fans unveil a banner outlining civil rights abuses in Saudi and dare to criticise the Premier League suitable owners test. The police are now investigating the banner as ‘offensive’. Meanwhile in Saudi a young gay man is given hundreds of lashes simply because of his sexuality. Taking the knee and players wearing rainbow laces is a joke when a front for the Saudi regime buys a football club.

“Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously'
Poll: Who should get a statue outside the old girl ?

Palace Banner Police on 08:28 - Oct 24 with 1511 viewssaint22

Agreed
I say the exact same banner should be unfurled t every PL game next weekend
Palace Banner Police on 09:36 - Oct 24 with 1429 viewsMrangry25

Money talks, it always has and always will do in the Prem L. The new owners don't give a flying sh!t about what anyone in the world thinks about their abuses etc. As long as they have the oil the world will let them do what they want.
Palace Banner Police on 09:51 - Oct 24 with 1410 viewsA1079

Completely agree Heisenberg. It is double standards and hypocrisy.
Palace Banner Police on 10:08 - Oct 24 with 1394 viewsRon11

Palace Banner Police on 09:51 - Oct 24 by A1079

Completely agree Heisenberg. It is double standards and hypocrisy.

And that statement covers the FA perfectly.
Palace Banner Police on 10:28 - Oct 24 with 1368 viewsSaintsforeverj

This is why wearing rainbow laces or taking the knee are just pointless, when we then have a world cup in Qatar and a Saudi consortium, which is part of human rights abuses, being allowed to buy a football club. As this takeover sinks in and Newcastle get better, this is going to leave a bad taste in the mouth of many fans up and down the country.

Poll: Would you like Ings to come back?

Palace Banner Police on 10:45 - Oct 24 with 1342 viewskingslandstand1

Palace Banner Police on 10:28 - Oct 24 by Saintsforeverj

This is why wearing rainbow laces or taking the knee are just pointless, when we then have a world cup in Qatar and a Saudi consortium, which is part of human rights abuses, being allowed to buy a football club. As this takeover sinks in and Newcastle get better, this is going to leave a bad taste in the mouth of many fans up and down the country.

Can you imagine the hypocricy being thrown at the Prem league from European clubs as well that we (rightly) criticise a lot of East European clubs for their attitude towards racism but allow this sort of takeover to happen
Palace Banner Police on 11:27 - Oct 24 with 1308 viewsBison

https://news.sky.com/story/newcastle-united-takeover-crystal-palace-fans-banner-

You can see the banner.

Trust no one in a circus.
Poll: Who do you blame for saints not winning every game ?

Palace Banner Police on 12:53 - Oct 24 with 1238 viewsKennington

Fair play to the Palace fans, as the banner is surely correct? The Saudis like the other foreign owners have to take the criticism if they want to be here. I do find it a bit odd though that Newcastle get so much grief, as surely if you dig deep enough even Chelsea and their links to the Russian authorities and their appalling ethics and authoritarian regime isn’t really much different to the Saudis. Abramovich, while not strictly being the state, has really managed the blueprint for how to do sport washing as nobody really notices or cares about where his money comes from.

Poll: What age is too old for a striker?

Login to get fewer ads

Palace Banner Police on 13:15 - Oct 24 with 1212 viewsSadoldgit

I just hope that the people kicking off about the Saudi takeover of Newcastle will also now call out the Government for all the business that it does with the Saudis.
Palace Banner Police on 13:23 - Oct 24 with 1201 viewssaint68

Just another case of those with ludicrous amounts of money doing what they want with zero consequence...corruption and inequality is the order of the day.

Poll: Who would you want to save this season Pellegrino or Adkins

Palace Banner Police on 15:47 - Oct 24 with 1134 viewsSonicBoom

Yep the Saudis have arrived and immediately free speech is not allowed.
Palace Banner Police on 17:07 - Oct 24 with 1076 viewsSalisburySaint

Palace Banner Police on 15:47 - Oct 24 by SonicBoom

Yep the Saudis have arrived and immediately free speech is not allowed.

To be honest the current government is trying to pursue that policy already
Palace Banner Police on 17:16 - Oct 24 with 1070 viewsChesham_Saint

Palace Banner Police on 13:15 - Oct 24 by Sadoldgit

I just hope that the people kicking off about the Saudi takeover of Newcastle will also now call out the Government for all the business that it does with the Saudis.

A laudable sentiment Sogs but Id like to see you try and sell that argument to those people whose livelihood is dependent on defence. Meanwhile, as every other poster has pointed out the FA and police are utter hypocrites on this. Take the knee and be virtuous, but let a gay guy be thrashed by a regime which also owns a club. What a load of utter kack.

Poll: Which manager would you prefer Saints to have?

Palace Banner Police on 18:31 - Oct 24 with 1031 viewsSadoldgit

Palace Banner Police on 17:16 - Oct 24 by Chesham_Saint

A laudable sentiment Sogs but Id like to see you try and sell that argument to those people whose livelihood is dependent on defence. Meanwhile, as every other poster has pointed out the FA and police are utter hypocrites on this. Take the knee and be virtuous, but let a gay guy be thrashed by a regime which also owns a club. What a load of utter kack.

Where do you draw the line though Chesh? If you are going to hold them to account for the flogging then why do we turn a blind eye to selling them weapons just because we want their money?
Serious question. How would we deal with it if they had bought our club?
[Post edited 24 Oct 2021 18:32]
Palace Banner Police on 21:19 - Oct 24 with 953 viewsA1079

Palace Banner Police on 12:53 - Oct 24 by Kennington

Fair play to the Palace fans, as the banner is surely correct? The Saudis like the other foreign owners have to take the criticism if they want to be here. I do find it a bit odd though that Newcastle get so much grief, as surely if you dig deep enough even Chelsea and their links to the Russian authorities and their appalling ethics and authoritarian regime isn’t really much different to the Saudis. Abramovich, while not strictly being the state, has really managed the blueprint for how to do sport washing as nobody really notices or cares about where his money comes from.

Good points Kennington. The issue though (for me anyway) is football and the authorities being selective in their politics - what you can or cannot protest against, what you can or cannot or should be seen to support. It is a bit like when the Charlie Hebdo protests across Europe and the UK was about the right to offend but then the same people complain about some sectors of society being offended!

As far as I can tell there was nothing offensive in the Crystal Palace protest and surely the history of the middle east, like Russia when it comes to human rights is dubious to say the least. Take the knee for racism but you cannot hold up a regime or deal with backgrounds in a government or governments that openly lashes and stones women in public or people for being gay.

I am not jealous of Newcastle suddenly finding an owner that will lift them to the next level. They have as much right as any other club to try and seek success and however uncomfortable it may be, realistically if you want to succeed in the PL you have to find a serious investor. But that does not mean that you cannot call them out or the process if it seems that there have been inconsistencies in approach and that the new owners are linked to a set of values and morals that are unpalatable and alien to us.

I recall when the Chinese government visited and was given a Royal parade through London. Tibetan nationals attempted to protest and were removed to avoid upsetting the Chinese delegation and to avoid anything being shown on the Chinese news network. Police action at Crystal palace yesterday smacked of the same thing - it was stopped to risk upsetting the Saudi visitors and their country.
Palace Banner Police on 21:28 - Oct 24 with 936 viewsBicester_North

Palace Banner Police on 21:19 - Oct 24 by A1079

Good points Kennington. The issue though (for me anyway) is football and the authorities being selective in their politics - what you can or cannot protest against, what you can or cannot or should be seen to support. It is a bit like when the Charlie Hebdo protests across Europe and the UK was about the right to offend but then the same people complain about some sectors of society being offended!

As far as I can tell there was nothing offensive in the Crystal Palace protest and surely the history of the middle east, like Russia when it comes to human rights is dubious to say the least. Take the knee for racism but you cannot hold up a regime or deal with backgrounds in a government or governments that openly lashes and stones women in public or people for being gay.

I am not jealous of Newcastle suddenly finding an owner that will lift them to the next level. They have as much right as any other club to try and seek success and however uncomfortable it may be, realistically if you want to succeed in the PL you have to find a serious investor. But that does not mean that you cannot call them out or the process if it seems that there have been inconsistencies in approach and that the new owners are linked to a set of values and morals that are unpalatable and alien to us.

I recall when the Chinese government visited and was given a Royal parade through London. Tibetan nationals attempted to protest and were removed to avoid upsetting the Chinese delegation and to avoid anything being shown on the Chinese news network. Police action at Crystal palace yesterday smacked of the same thing - it was stopped to risk upsetting the Saudi visitors and their country.

The premier league and the main media outlets covering it are disgraceful enterprises. Full of corruption and greed while trying to tell ordinary people what to believe in and how to act. Makes you a bit sick when you put money in the grasping coffers by watching it.

Poll: Who do you feel most sorry for

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024