Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Forward options looking healthy 09:25 - Nov 4 with 547 viewssaint901

I've now managed to watch more of the Watford game and am generally heartened by the fact that without Broja, the incoming players adapted to a different style.

In particular it seems the coaching staff have worked on the Adams/Armstrong partnership and there was evidence that they were a more effective pairing than we have seen so far this season. The "one goes short, one goes far stick" idea has been planted in them.

I'm of the view that coaching forwards is more difficult than defenders because their mindset is always about creating or scoring goals and to deliberately move to a place where that is more difficult is - well - more difficult.

At the moment it seems that with Broja leading a line and creating space for the midfield to advance into or with Adams/Armstrong coming short and allowing midfield players and full backs to go past them, are both profitable for us and we can at least start games with those plans.

What might be more tricky is playing Broja with one or both of Adams/Armstrong. I confess that formation I cannot see as being effective.

The test will come when we play a better team and whichever formation we start with is not working. Will RH have the courage of his convictions and make a switch. Hopefully now he sees both can work, he will be more comfortable about doing that.
Forward options looking healthy on 09:46 - Nov 4 with 516 viewssaint68

I think our main issues earlier in the season for our forward players was a distinct lack of supply..we didn't penetrate at pace..and when we occasionally did, the final pass or even shot was poor.

We look more urgent and eager to get the moves flowing forward of late..and I'd expect (iwould) would say its since JWP was suspended that the issue has been addressed.

Poll: Who would you want to save this season Pellegrino or Adkins

Forward options looking healthy on 10:59 - Nov 4 with 452 viewssaint901

A midfield player looking up and seeing viable options in front of him is going to encourage a forward pass. I think that until the game against Leeds, either the forward pass options were fewer because of a well organised defence and/or a lack of confidence in our forwards or the midfield players were obeying team orders which seemed to be to hold the ball for as long as possible.

The poorer teams (Leeds, Wolves who we should have beaten, Burnley who we should have beaten, Watford) leak goals for fun which points at flaws in their organisation. Hopefully Aston Villa are the same but I'm expecting them to sit deep with two defensive mids as well.

With more confidence in the forward players, I'm hoping we'll see a more progressive game, but space will be tight.
Forward options looking healthy on 11:24 - Nov 4 with 438 viewsTimSaint

I would be tempted to rest Broja completely for the Villa game and declare him unavailable for selection for the International Break, due to injury. That way he would be fully fit for our crucial games in the run up to Xmas and the New Year.

However, as he scored the only goal in Albania's last game away to Hungary and the chance looms to play against England at Wembley next Friday, I am sure he will be desperate to play for his country again.

As he is now back in training, I expect he will be on the bench for Villa and will join the Albania national team !! :-)

TimSaint

Forward options looking healthy on 12:09 - Nov 4 with 422 viewsBerber

No reason why Broja cannot dovetail effectively with either of the other two. If they can be coached to a system as you imply, then thay can be coached to work another system. There have been a host of partnerships where a big, rough, tough CF works effectively with smaller, faster nimbler sidekicks. Crouch/Defoe, Quinn/Phillips immediately spring to mind, saving me the effort of thinking of others.
Forward options looking healthy on 12:14 - Nov 4 with 418 viewssaint68

Forward options looking healthy on 12:09 - Nov 4 by Berber

No reason why Broja cannot dovetail effectively with either of the other two. If they can be coached to a system as you imply, then thay can be coached to work another system. There have been a host of partnerships where a big, rough, tough CF works effectively with smaller, faster nimbler sidekicks. Crouch/Defoe, Quinn/Phillips immediately spring to mind, saving me the effort of thinking of others.

Mane and Pelle dispatched Jurgen in style and Ronald done his Klopp piss take..Glorious afternoon that was

Poll: Who would you want to save this season Pellegrino or Adkins

Forward options looking healthy on 12:16 - Nov 4 with 418 viewsBicester_North

Forward options looking healthy on 12:09 - Nov 4 by Berber

What about Blackburn’s “SAS”?

They were both big tough players but the service used to come from the wings, one used to drop deep a bit and the other would give the centre backs the run around.

Poll: Who do you feel most sorry for

Forward options looking healthy on 14:07 - Nov 4 with 344 viewssaint901

Toshack and Keegan?

Ron Davies and just about anybody, he was that good.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024