Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
71 points lost from a winning position under Ralph! 17:55 - Dec 4 with 1469 viewsA1079

I had no idea about this until John Murray just mentioned it on Radio 5 - since Ralph was appointed manager we have lost 71 points from a winning position. The highest of any league manager (though I am not sure whether that is current or ever!).

Not sure what this says and people more adept at football analysis can probably make better sense of it than me but whichever way you look at it, that is an appalling statistic. I know he cannot legislate for the stupidity of some of our players though when you keep picking them or have no choice but to pick them then the buck still stops with the manager.
71 points lost from a winning position under Ralph! on 20:38 - Dec 4 with 1370 viewsgrumpy

We have some good players but the tactics,team selection and guidance leave a lot to be desired.
Foster should have played more.
JWP is a shadow of his former self.
Livramento seems lost.
Salisu is great player but can someone tell him not to take long throw- ins .
Broja has to start with Adams, stop changing it round so often.
What on earth happens at half time? I dread the second half these days.
I honestly think Ralph needs help ,with tactics before and during games.
[Post edited 4 Dec 2021 20:41]
71 points lost from a winning position under Ralph! on 20:49 - Dec 4 with 1357 viewsCapt_Koons

Whatever Ralph says at halftime, he shouldn't .

Poll: If our new manager is a success, which club will he be managing in 2 years time?

71 points lost from a winning position under Ralph! on 20:54 - Dec 4 with 1350 viewsgrumpy

71 points lost from a winning position under Ralph! on 20:49 - Dec 4 by Capt_Koons

Whatever Ralph says at halftime, he shouldn't .

71 points lost from a winning position under Ralph! on 20:57 - Dec 4 with 1343 viewsSaintsforeverj

Again though, we missed so many chances. Adams was in on goal and he missed. Livramento blasted it over the bar. We had chance after chance and they keep missing. One goal is very rarely enough. We don't kill teams off, that's the problem. It's then difficult to last the whole game because at one nil, the opposition attack full steam in the last 10 minutes to get a draw.
[Post edited 4 Dec 2021 20:58]

Poll: Would you like Ings to come back?

71 points lost from a winning position under Ralph! on 22:14 - Dec 4 with 1285 viewsthissceptredsaint

We had a little run with Ralf after I last moaned about him, that stat though is damning, I'll say it again, would we have been in a worse position under Puel? Ralf has been given 2 players for each position. It's down to him how this is panning out
71 points lost from a winning position under Ralph! on 22:21 - Dec 4 with 1278 viewsBicester_North

71 points lost from a winning position under Ralph! on 20:57 - Dec 4 by Saintsforeverj

Again though, we missed so many chances. Adams was in on goal and he missed. Livramento blasted it over the bar. We had chance after chance and they keep missing. One goal is very rarely enough. We don't kill teams off, that's the problem. It's then difficult to last the whole game because at one nil, the opposition attack full steam in the last 10 minutes to get a draw.
[Post edited 4 Dec 2021 20:58]

When opposition attack full steam in the latter stages of the game we should have the subs on who can exploit the space, and the energy to go 2-0 up. We rarely seem to make the oppo goalkeeper make a save after 55 minutes.

Poll: Who do you feel most sorry for

71 points lost from a winning position under Ralph! on 12:54 - Dec 5 with 1093 viewsdirk_doone

71 points lost from a winning position under Ralph! on 20:38 - Dec 4 by grumpy

We have some good players but the tactics,team selection and guidance leave a lot to be desired.
Foster should have played more.
JWP is a shadow of his former self.
Livramento seems lost.
Salisu is great player but can someone tell him not to take long throw- ins .
Broja has to start with Adams, stop changing it round so often.
What on earth happens at half time? I dread the second half these days.
I honestly think Ralph needs help ,with tactics before and during games.
[Post edited 4 Dec 2021 20:41]

Whatever is going on at half-time clearly needs to change.

Who talks to the players? Just Ralph or Kelvin Davis and David Watson as well? It might be better if none of them did.

If we do change the manager, would the new manager still be stuck with Kelvin Davis and David Watson as his first team coaches? Most new managers are allowed to bring their own choice of coaches in. Even a great manager like Brian Clough wasn't as good without Peter Taylor helping him. If he'd been forced to accept two ex-goalkeepers who'd never coached outfield players before, maybe he'd never have won any of those trophies with Forest.
[Post edited 5 Dec 2021 13:07]

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

71 points lost from a winning position under Ralph! on 13:06 - Dec 5 with 1069 viewsgrumpy

I like Graham Potters style.
Physical, Direct and not short on Skill.
Login to get fewer ads

71 points lost from a winning position under Ralph! on 18:36 - Dec 5 with 966 viewsfelly1

71 points lost from a winning position under Ralph! on 12:54 - Dec 5 by dirk_doone

Whatever is going on at half-time clearly needs to change.

Who talks to the players? Just Ralph or Kelvin Davis and David Watson as well? It might be better if none of them did.

If we do change the manager, would the new manager still be stuck with Kelvin Davis and David Watson as his first team coaches? Most new managers are allowed to bring their own choice of coaches in. Even a great manager like Brian Clough wasn't as good without Peter Taylor helping him. If he'd been forced to accept two ex-goalkeepers who'd never coached outfield players before, maybe he'd never have won any of those trophies with Forest.
[Post edited 5 Dec 2021 13:07]

Peter Taylor was also an ex goalkeeper.
71 points lost from a winning position under Ralph! on 18:53 - Dec 5 with 948 viewsdirk_doone

71 points lost from a winning position under Ralph! on 18:36 - Dec 5 by felly1

Peter Taylor was also an ex goalkeeper.

The difference is he'd been a football manager for years before he became Clough's assistant. Kelvin Davis had no previous coaching experience. When he retired, he was working as a hospitality host at St Mary's, which seemed like reasonable jobs for the boys but why was he suddenly made the first team coach of a Premier League club?

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

71 points lost from a winning position under Ralph! on 21:06 - Dec 5 with 865 viewsgrumpy

Why have we got two goalkeepers as first team coaches?
71 points lost from a winning position under Ralph! on 21:09 - Dec 5 with 859 viewsDorsetIan

71 points lost from a winning position under Ralph! on 22:21 - Dec 4 by Bicester_North

When opposition attack full steam in the latter stages of the game we should have the subs on who can exploit the space, and the energy to go 2-0 up. We rarely seem to make the oppo goalkeeper make a save after 55 minutes.

Ralph’s use of subs is diabolical.

Last season we had no one on the bench worth bringing on, but this season we have a few more options.

It should be a combination of replacing tired legs, adding a different attacking threat to exploit tired legs, or simply mixing up the tactics a bit to give the opposition something new to think about.

I never get any sense of a plan from Ralph about his subs, and they’re always too late.

It’s as if they’re a nuisance for him rather than an important strategic tool.

Yesterday we were crying out for subs for 15/20 minutes before he acted. I think it contributed to Brighton getting back into the game.

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

71 points lost from a winning position under Ralph! on 21:13 - Dec 5 with 847 viewsgrumpy

'Yesterday we were crying out for subs for 15/20 minutes before he acted. I think it contributed to Brighton getting back into the game'

Classic case of that is when Ralph took off Broja and replaced him with Armstrong in the 81st minute, ridiculous.
[Post edited 5 Dec 2021 21:14]
71 points lost from a winning position under Ralph! on 21:15 - Dec 5 with 842 viewsgreen

It's a difficult one with Hasenhüttl, on the one hand he has lost those points then on the other he is responsible for getting us ahead as well. If it had been the other way round and we were coming from behind to draw then I think he'd be getting more praise.

The trouble with draws in general is that it can become difficult to tell if you're that close to be being a good or bad side. We are probably where we deserve to be at the moment and I think given the wage and transfer spending constraints he has had then he is probably our best bet at the moment. The hope is that we get some new owners in who are a bit looser with the purse strings and then we'd definitely see some improvement.
71 points lost from a winning position under Ralph! on 21:24 - Dec 5 with 839 viewsgrumpy

71 points lost from a winning position under Ralph! on 21:15 - Dec 5 by green

It's a difficult one with Hasenhüttl, on the one hand he has lost those points then on the other he is responsible for getting us ahead as well. If it had been the other way round and we were coming from behind to draw then I think he'd be getting more praise.

The trouble with draws in general is that it can become difficult to tell if you're that close to be being a good or bad side. We are probably where we deserve to be at the moment and I think given the wage and transfer spending constraints he has had then he is probably our best bet at the moment. The hope is that we get some new owners in who are a bit looser with the purse strings and then we'd definitely see some improvement.

Reasonable points there ,Green.

The trouble is fans are coming away unhappy because we get into good positions ie a lead only to lose it, often in the second half.
The entrainment value is then lost and frustration rears its head.
71 points lost from a winning position under Ralph! on 21:47 - Dec 5 with 811 viewsSaintsforeverj

71 points lost from a winning position under Ralph! on 21:24 - Dec 5 by grumpy

Reasonable points there ,Green.

The trouble is fans are coming away unhappy because we get into good positions ie a lead only to lose it, often in the second half.
The entrainment value is then lost and frustration rears its head.

It also feels like it has become very pedestrian and boring. A one nil win if we are lucky, otherwise it's draw, draw draw and lose.

Poll: Would you like Ings to come back?

71 points lost from a winning position under Ralph! on 22:45 - Dec 5 with 775 viewsDorsetIan

71 points lost from a winning position under Ralph! on 21:47 - Dec 5 by Saintsforeverj

It also feels like it has become very pedestrian and boring. A one nil win if we are lucky, otherwise it's draw, draw draw and lose.

The bigger issue for me is that this pattern of delivering next to nothing/throwing things away in the second half was at the heart of our disastrous run in the later part of last season.

I would say that that points to a fundamental flaw in the way we are approaching games which hasn't improved since then. That's got to be down to the manager to sort out and - on the fact of what we've seen in three of the last 4 games, he hasn't done that.

And after 15 games last season, we already had 25 points on the board.

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

71 points lost from a winning position under Ralph! on 23:05 - Dec 5 with 768 viewsfelly1

71 points lost from a winning position under Ralph! on 18:53 - Dec 5 by dirk_doone

The difference is he'd been a football manager for years before he became Clough's assistant. Kelvin Davis had no previous coaching experience. When he retired, he was working as a hospitality host at St Mary's, which seemed like reasonable jobs for the boys but why was he suddenly made the first team coach of a Premier League club?

Fair point.
71 points lost from a winning position under Ralph! on 16:21 - Dec 6 with 676 viewsTimSaint

71 points lost from a winning position under Ralph! on 22:21 - Dec 4 by Bicester_North

Our 2 latest goals scored in the league, both came in the same game - away to Newcastle.

We got a (deserved) draw courtesy of a JWP penalty in the 96 min.

Before that, Elyounoussi bundled in a 74th minute equaliser.

That game aside in the league, which was the season opener in August, we have failed scored in the last 15 mins of a game and any subsequent injury time. Truly bizarre.

I was too scared to look at how many we have conceded in the last 15 mins !!

TimSaint

71 points lost from a winning position under Ralph! on 10:46 - Dec 7 with 582 viewssaint901

The above statistic is poor but I wonder how poor in comparison to other teams?

For me a worse one is the percentage of goals scored from chances created.

Saints 19/20 = 13.3%, 20/21 = 8.6%, 21/22 = 5.4%

Best comparisons

Wolves 13.8%, 5.6%, 5.6% and BHA 13.1%, 6.1%, 6.0%

Leeds, Norwich and oddly this season Arsenal are all low as well.

On track for less than half the goals we scored 2 seasons ago and that is not good.

For me this means either we need a proven chance converter or a change in tactics.
71 points lost from a winning position under Ralph! on 11:25 - Dec 7 with 563 viewsgrumpy

71 points lost from a winning position under Ralph! on 10:46 - Dec 7 by saint901

The above statistic is poor but I wonder how poor in comparison to other teams?

For me a worse one is the percentage of goals scored from chances created.

Saints 19/20 = 13.3%, 20/21 = 8.6%, 21/22 = 5.4%

Best comparisons

Wolves 13.8%, 5.6%, 5.6% and BHA 13.1%, 6.1%, 6.0%

Leeds, Norwich and oddly this season Arsenal are all low as well.

On track for less than half the goals we scored 2 seasons ago and that is not good.

For me this means either we need a proven chance converter or a change in tactics.

Its not rocket science to see we need new tactics.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024