Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
SPOTY 11:23 - Dec 13 with 1005 viewssaint901

Have been announced.

Tom Daley
Tyson Fury
Adam Peatty
Raducanu
Raheem Sterling
Sarah Storey

Can't say I'm excited by the list - esp Sterling who these days struggles to get first team minutes.
SPOTY on 12:53 - Dec 13 with 957 viewsExBaselSaint

Shame Louise Hamilton isn't there. I haven't had enough of his Woke buffoonery yet
SPOTY on 14:07 - Dec 13 with 923 viewssaint901

It's also about "personality".

Ms Raducanu has done very well indeed in winning her tournament but she's a teenager. Given that she's probably been playing tennis every waking moment since she could hold a racket, not sure that her "personality" has yet had a chance to grow and develop?

I think that one is a nod to the middle classes.
SPOTY on 14:26 - Dec 13 with 896 viewsDorsetIan

SPOTY on 14:07 - Dec 13 by saint901

Ms Raducanu has done very well indeed in winning her tournament but she's a teenager. Given that she's probably been playing tennis every waking moment since she could hold a racket, not sure that her "personality" has yet had a chance to grow and develop?

Got to disagree with you there.

For me, her winning the US Open was the stand out sporting achievement of the year, by a distance.

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

SPOTY on 14:30 - Dec 13 with 893 viewsCity_boy

SPOTY on 14:07 - Dec 13 by saint901

Fair point, but what she achieved was unbelievable at that level and being ranked 300+ at the start of US Open.

She also comes across as very level headed and grounded.
SPOTY on 14:56 - Dec 13 with 880 viewssaint901

Agree with all the above and whilst tennis does not hold my interest, she achieved a remarkable result.

The competition is not though about a sporting achievement or at least not a single achievement.

Clue is in the name "personality".

To me this says that being good at the sport or winning a one off trophy is not enough.

Winning multiple times (Daley, Peatty, Storey) = tick
Using your position to try and highlight issues highlight issues (Sterling, Daley) = tick

(I know very little about Fury so con't really include him).

Ms Raducanu has done a remarkable thing but for me that's not the point.
SPOTY on 15:40 - Dec 13 with 857 viewsJaySaint

Sterling? why?

Poll: Who is responsible for Liverpool's defeat?

SPOTY on 15:50 - Dec 13 with 851 viewsDorsetIan

SPOTY on 14:56 - Dec 13 by saint901

Agree with all the above and whilst tennis does not hold my interest, she achieved a remarkable result.

The competition is not though about a sporting achievement or at least not a single achievement.

Clue is in the name "personality".

To me this says that being good at the sport or winning a one off trophy is not enough.

Winning multiple times (Daley, Peatty, Storey) = tick
Using your position to try and highlight issues highlight issues (Sterling, Daley) = tick

(I know very little about Fury so con't really include him).

Ms Raducanu has done a remarkable thing but for me that's not the point.

If it was truly a 'personality' award, quite a few have slipped through the net over the years...

Steve Davis, Mansell, Damon Hill, Greg Rusedski (ffs!!), Michael Owen (wtf?!)...

SPOTY on 17:04 - Dec 13 with 807 viewshedgeend61

SPOTY on 15:50 - Dec 13 by DorsetIan

If it was truly a 'personality' award, quite a few have slipped through the net over the years...

Steve Davis, Mansell, Damon Hill, Greg Rusedski (ffs!!), Michael Owen (wtf?!)...

Since Gazza won 31 years ago not many personalities have, you could easy count them on one hand.
How Giggs won in 2009, and Farrah in a non Olympic year in 2017 defies logic, personality and achievement in those years.
Bit of a mess really, Raducanu this year is 1/20 to win, a near certainty.

Tyson won't be happy
https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/boxing/tyson-fury-threatens-bbc-legal-action-20
Login to get fewer ads

SPOTY on 17:53 - Dec 13 with 784 viewskingslandstand1

I think it will be between the 2 girlies. Raducanu as has been said, had quite an amazing achievement with the progress she made over the year (and comes across as an actual "personality") with that ultimate prize, and Sarah Storey has now got more Paralympic medals than anyone else (I believe)

Fury probably pi55ed them all off with what he did last year, and the others are probably coming off the bottom of the barrel to make the numbers up. Although Peaty did do pretty well with his medal haul, didn't he then do one of those reality programmes which was not exactly in the sporting calendar?
SPOTY on 18:01 - Dec 13 with 773 viewssaint901

SPOTY on 15:40 - Dec 13 by JaySaint

Sterling? why?

Sterling has used his fame to speak out about racism and issue around that in the game and elsewhere.

Because he is moderately good at football a lot of black kids will look at him and think that "if he can do and say that, so can I" and frankly that will be far more useful than taking a knee or the various (largely failed) Premier League campaigns.

Daley has done the same for the gay community. Sarah Storey for the "disabled" community.

Adam Peatty for me is an example of a driven athlete. He was no doubt talented in his chosen field but he has worked hard at that talent and is a multiple world record holder and Olympic champion. (He can't dance but being vertical was a problem).

That leaves Tyson who I know little about other than he is a boxer and a champion and seems to play his part in the "trash talking" that is apparently a necessary part of all big fight build up.

The Olympians in the list have over 100 Olympic, Commonwealth and World Championship medals between them. Sterling has surely got EPL Championship medals ans well as cup medals. Tyson is multiple world champion (?)

I absolutely understand why Raducanu is on the list. Young woman at the start of what we all hope is a glittering career whose work and commitment resulted in an entirely unexpected but very welcome win in a global tournament.

My point however is that against the equally glittering and medal laden others in the list with achievements or recognition outside their chosen sport, should she win?

I will not begrudge her a victory but would be happier to see one of the others win.

And as the people above say, personality is often not the criteria used to judge this competition and the BBC has let itself down on numerous instances.
SPOTY on 19:12 - Dec 13 with 738 viewsDorsetIan

SPOTY on 18:01 - Dec 13 by saint901

Sterling has used his fame to speak out about racism and issue around that in the game and elsewhere.

Because he is moderately good at football a lot of black kids will look at him and think that "if he can do and say that, so can I" and frankly that will be far more useful than taking a knee or the various (largely failed) Premier League campaigns.

Daley has done the same for the gay community. Sarah Storey for the "disabled" community.

Adam Peatty for me is an example of a driven athlete. He was no doubt talented in his chosen field but he has worked hard at that talent and is a multiple world record holder and Olympic champion. (He can't dance but being vertical was a problem).

That leaves Tyson who I know little about other than he is a boxer and a champion and seems to play his part in the "trash talking" that is apparently a necessary part of all big fight build up.

The Olympians in the list have over 100 Olympic, Commonwealth and World Championship medals between them. Sterling has surely got EPL Championship medals ans well as cup medals. Tyson is multiple world champion (?)

I absolutely understand why Raducanu is on the list. Young woman at the start of what we all hope is a glittering career whose work and commitment resulted in an entirely unexpected but very welcome win in a global tournament.

My point however is that against the equally glittering and medal laden others in the list with achievements or recognition outside their chosen sport, should she win?

I will not begrudge her a victory but would be happier to see one of the others win.

And as the people above say, personality is often not the criteria used to judge this competition and the BBC has let itself down on numerous instances.

I think she should win, yes. She won the US Open as a qualifier without dropping a set. No disrespect to the achievements of the others, but hers was extraordinary. And she did it with a smile on her face throughout.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024