Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Are fouls "earned" and penalties "won" 18:04 - Jan 20 with 586 viewssaint901

Or does an opposition player commit a foul and give away a penalty?

Commentators (I'm watching Afcon) really wind me up by saying that player "win" penalites and "buy" fouls.

They don't.

And if they do then they're cheating.
Are fouls "earned" and penalties "won" on 21:24 - Jan 20 with 517 viewsElijahK

Well no as attackers can make the opponents foul then by forcing to foul them/making it more likely, by trailing their legs, moving into their way when they see a tackle coming, going down a little easier than they usually would etc, all of which are tactics to gain a foul whilst also requiring the opponents to do one/do a tackle that they can turn into a foul, which isn’t simulation but also isn’t a defender commuting a stupid foul, but the attackers buying one

Poll: Should the football be on again next weekend

Are fouls "earned" and penalties "won" on 11:23 - Jan 21 with 399 viewssaint901

I get that there are players who simulate and dive. There are those who see the contact coming and move toward it. There are those who exaggerate the contact.

My point is that commentators on all media now make the assumption that the forward is being clever or following a tactical plan by "buying" the free kick.

I was coached by some ex pros back in the 70's. I was a forward then. If I went down in a tackle when they thought I could and should have stayed on my feet, I got a well deserved bo!!ocking.

Players these days, even at amateur level seem to think that going to the floor is just part of the game - and so do commentators.

Drives me to impotent frustration.
Are fouls "earned" and penalties "won" on 11:33 - Jan 21 with 392 viewsElijahK

Are fouls "earned" and penalties "won" on 11:23 - Jan 21 by saint901

I get that there are players who simulate and dive. There are those who see the contact coming and move toward it. There are those who exaggerate the contact.

My point is that commentators on all media now make the assumption that the forward is being clever or following a tactical plan by "buying" the free kick.

I was coached by some ex pros back in the 70's. I was a forward then. If I went down in a tackle when they thought I could and should have stayed on my feet, I got a well deserved bo!!ocking.

Players these days, even at amateur level seem to think that going to the floor is just part of the game - and so do commentators.

Drives me to impotent frustration.

Yeah I completely agree that it is BS of how easy they go down and how pathetic it can be (I mean I’m a ref so have to deal with it in every game I do!) but there is a difference between simulation/going down easy, to buying a free kick/foul, as one is where it’s just never a foul, and the other is where the players gets the foul by editing their movement to force the opponent to foul them

Poll: Should the football be on again next weekend

Are fouls "earned" and penalties "won" on 08:52 - Jan 22 with 336 viewsSaintNick

Are fouls "earned" and penalties "won" on 11:33 - Jan 21 by ElijahK

Yeah I completely agree that it is BS of how easy they go down and how pathetic it can be (I mean I’m a ref so have to deal with it in every game I do!) but there is a difference between simulation/going down easy, to buying a free kick/foul, as one is where it’s just never a foul, and the other is where the players gets the foul by editing their movement to force the opponent to foul them

Watch a game from 20 years ago on tv and its apparent straight away how much the game has changed since back then, now players just throw themselves to the floor at the slightest contact and even without any contact.

The authorities could stop it overnight if they instructed referees to book players for dives and dealt with it retrospectively for dives missed at the time.

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Are fouls "earned" and penalties "won" on 09:38 - Jan 22 with 316 viewsSadoldgit

There were a number of things in football imported from the “continent” back in the 60’s. Remember the boots that looked more like shoes? We used to wear boots like Doc Martens/hobnail boots. Nailed in studs and high over the ankle. Then these boots appeared from abroad. Low cut around the ankle. Screw in studs. Padded ankles. Luxury! What we also started to see were the Dark Arts. Italian defenders taking no prisoners. Shithousery from the South American teams. Then these players started to sign for our clubs and before long players are going down and rolling around as if they had been shot. Sportsmanship went out of the window. Players did their best to wind up others and get them sent off. Cheating became an everyday occurrence I know it is easy to look back through rose tinted glasses, but there was a time when it was a man’s game. People rolled up their sleeves, got stuck in, got knocked down but brushed themselves down and got on with it. It all went downhill in the 70’s and 80’s and it isn’t about to change back again. You get the occasional player who will hold their hand up and say it wasn’t a foul, but mostly players will grab any advantage that will come their way. There isn’t much sportsmanship left in sport these days, perhaps it is a money thing? Even cricket, that most English of sports, lost its soul years ago. Sledging is normal and players no longer walk when they know perfectly well they have nicked the ball. Modern times eh?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024