Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Ted Bates Statue - Your View 10:28 - Jan 26 with 963 viewsSaintNick

The Ted Bates Statue - Your View

Your Vote:

You need to be logged in to vote on our site polls

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

The Ted Bates Statue - Your View on 12:21 - Jan 26 with 892 viewsPoirot

Its certainly utter tosh (going on known court evidence) and the idea a tacky journo can make a headline and then claim in the article its 'sensitive' whilst defaming someone is disgusting. Im sure Ted Bates has a daughter that lives in eastleigh and her kids must been in their 20s now.
The Ted Bates Statue - Your View on 12:53 - Jan 26 with 863 viewssaint901

We have all done things we're not proud of. Sometimes because of our character; sometimes our own beliefs; more often than not however because to stand up and say/do something would have been out of line with the then social mores.

That does not make abuse in any way acceptable, but it may explain why some parties apparently in positions of power chose to act the way they did.

Football clubs of the 60's thru the early 90's were perhaps more "clubs" than they are now in that an espirit de corps was necessary in the absence of more than one perhaps two clubs having the resources to buy big players and relying more upon home grown talent. Bates would have had to balance the harm that a very public outing of problems would have had against containing the problem. An unenviable situation.

I'm sure he would have looked around at what other organisations were doing at the time. The answer was "nothing public". Why then would have chosen the "public disclosure" route?

Before we forget, yes the club had issues which is now acknowledges in full and shows us how it has procedures in place that will prevent future transgressions. But so did many others. The church, entertainment industry (big time), HMRC and probably many other Civil Service outfits, the police.

Nobody was free of guilt. It seems therefore somewhat unfair to pick on one man and say that his inaction should outweigh everything else he did in his life and career.

I understand that sensationalist headlines sell newspapers, but journalism has had its issues as well. I hope this journo has reviewed his own actions and inactions going back to his early career and can say he/she is whiter than white.

I very much suspect that the younger generation (under 30) will view the above as an attempt to justify or forgive the abuse on the grounds of historical context. It is not. It's a request to judge things in context and not by applying the rather digital, black/white, right/wrong labels favoured by todays' millennials.
The Ted Bates Statue - Your View on 13:10 - Jan 26 with 837 viewsfranniesTache

We have absolutely no way of knowing wha the club knows that we don't, we have to trust that they wouldn't take this lightly given his legacy and for the sake of his family.

But if there was some complicit action by Ted Bates then we also have to make a stand and prove that as a club and a city we're willing to not forgive that.

As for my opinion? It's simple i don't and cannot know the truth so it's not up to me to decide.
The Ted Bates Statue - Your View on 14:19 - Jan 26 with 790 viewsBicester_North

The Ted Bates Statue - Your View on 13:10 - Jan 26 by franniesTache

We have absolutely no way of knowing wha the club knows that we don't, we have to trust that they wouldn't take this lightly given his legacy and for the sake of his family.

But if there was some complicit action by Ted Bates then we also have to make a stand and prove that as a club and a city we're willing to not forgive that.

As for my opinion? It's simple i don't and cannot know the truth so it's not up to me to decide.

100% correct in my opinion

Poll: Who do you feel most sorry for

The Ted Bates Statue - Your View on 15:27 - Jan 26 with 728 viewsHeisenberg

Why not a take down the statue option ? Personally I agree with the previous comments that the club will have to make a decision. Whatever is decided they must listen to the victims and perhaps base any decisions on what they feel.

“Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously'
Poll: Who should get a statue outside the old girl ?

The Ted Bates Statue - Your View on 16:15 - Jan 26 with 700 viewspjt50

Don't fit into any of these options. I don't think it's disgraceful but on balance it should probably go.

Poll: Where do you hope to see Salisu start (OK, I know we haven't seen him yet)?

The Ted Bates Statue - Your View on 16:22 - Jan 26 with 690 viewsPoirot

My hunch is that its either a disgruntled former player or his solicitor that made this disgusting claim knowing full well someone dead and not even family can take legal action.

Saints fans should stay well away from any subscription to this muggy athletic website.
The Ted Bates Statue - Your View on 16:27 - Jan 26 with 682 viewsSaintsforeverj

Where is the evidence to say that Ted Bates knew for sure what was going on and / or did wrong and broke the law? Ted Bates is not around to defend himself, so we can't just assume what he knew based on what a few people may say. We can't tear down statues in my opinion, unless we have hard evidence, proven in court that he is guilty of something.

Poll: Would you like Ings to come back?

Login to get fewer ads

The Ted Bates Statue - Your View on 17:55 - Jan 26 with 641 viewsSadoldgit

The Ted Bates Statue - Your View on 14:19 - Jan 26 by Bicester_North

100% correct in my opinion

I agree. The club will probably have a lot more information and it is down to them to make the appropriate call. At the end of the day do we really need a lump of metal on a plinth to remember the legacy of a man who gave so much to the club. He will always be a club legend and this unfortunate event will not change that.
The Ted Bates Statue - Your View on 18:46 - Jan 26 with 622 viewssaint68

The Ted Bates Statue - Your View on 13:10 - Jan 26 by franniesTache

That's exactly where I'm at with this..I'd imagine his offspring are besides themselves with the revelations..

Poll: Who would you want to save this season Pellegrino or Adkins

The Ted Bates Statue - Your View on 11:40 - Jan 27 with 508 viewsSaintNick

The Ted Bates Statue - Your View on 18:46 - Jan 26 by saint68

That's exactly where I'm at with this..I'd imagine his offspring are besides themselves with the revelations..

Over 450 people viewed this poll, only 27 voted, thats a little strange

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

The Ted Bates Statue - Your View on 12:00 - Jan 27 with 492 viewssaints__fan__73

The Ted Bates Statue - Your View on 11:40 - Jan 27 by SaintNick

Russian bots Nick. There are only 27 humans who come on here and I'm not sure about some of them...

"Playing Devil's Advocate since 15th January 2014"
Poll: Have the events of the Summer made Nick feel closer to LFC?

The Ted Bates Statue - Your View on 12:18 - Jan 27 with 480 viewsTimSaint

Once I have voted, am I not allowed to revisit the poll to see how the voting is progressing - in case it skews the numbers ? :-)

I wonder which person (yes, singular) voted for it to be pulled down ?

TimSaint

The Ted Bates Statue - Your View on 13:00 - Jan 27 with 459 viewssaint68

How many were eligible to vote Nick?..bit odd if only 27 voted..or maybe a couple more options might be worth adding.

The Ted Bates Statue - Your View on 13:02 - Jan 27 with 454 viewsfranniesTache

The Ted Bates Statue - Your View on 18:46 - Jan 26 by saint68

You'd be devastated if you were his family to have this talked about in public the way it is, it actually angers me slightly that the athletic effectively put out a rumour with no thought for them.

It should've been dealt with in private and any action or not taken after consulting the family
The Ted Bates Statue - Your View on 13:07 - Jan 27 with 448 viewssaint68

The Ted Bates Statue - Your View on 13:02 - Jan 27 by franniesTache

You'd be devastated if you were his family to have this talked about in public the way it is, it actually angers me slightly that the athletic effectively put out a rumour with no thought for them.

It should've been dealt with in private and any action or not taken after consulting the family

Exactly FT, there has been no regard from the Athletic or the idiot from Waterlooville that penned the piece in regards to his family...crass speculative journalism.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024