Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
U'sual Champions League 2022 - Final 15:37 - May 5 with 1658 viewswessex_exile

Here goes for the U'sual Champions League 2022 final, between burnsieespana and RSCOSWORTH, and 3rd place play-off between wessex_exile and gerry_us.

The Champions League Final
28/05/2022: Liverpool v Real Madrid (kick-off 8pm)

Predictions
There are nine categories to predict, so please either post here or PM me your predictions, and I will reveal when I have them all. For categories C-H, as usual there will be 2pts if spot-on, and one point for whoever is closest (or 1pt each if equidistant). Deadline for all predictions is kick-off at 8pm on Saturday.

(A) Result - 3pts spot-on, 1pt for the outcome; 
(B) Goal scorer - pick one, get 1pt for each goal they score (including own goals); 
(C) Attempts on target - 2pts for spot-on, 1pt if closest;
(D) Attempts off target - ditto; 
(E) Corners - ditto; 
(F) Fouls - ditto; 
(G) Yellow cards - ditto (a straight red is not two yellows); and 
(H) Red cards - ditto (two yellows will count as two yellows and one red). 
(TB) The tie-break is the minute for the first substitution, closest (either side) wins. In the unlikely event that there are no substitutions, this will be counted as 0 (zero) minutes. Substitutions in injury-time will be counted as 45' or 90'.

The small print
Note that for the final alone, a spot-on result will not count towards the tie-break, it's just the total points scored. 

All predictions will be for the normal time match, extra-time or penalties will not count. The only questions you can't match exactly on are (A), (B) and (TB), so whilst there is no other advantage to predicting first, predicting last may mean having to change one or more of those predictions. 

All stats will be taken from the BBC Sport website, just in case there are discrepancies elsewhere.

Good luck everyone!

edit: I should have added, a half-time substitution will be counted as 46 minutes.
[Post edited 5 May 2022 22:13]

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #23

U'sual Champions League 2022 - Final on 01:09 - May 6 with 1555 viewsburnsieespana

Good luck RSCOSWORTH!
Hopefully I have understood requirements correct but if not Wessex appreciate the nod from you!
3-1
Marne
54 minute
U'sual Champions League 2022 - Final on 15:41 - May 6 with 1531 viewswessex_exile

U'sual Champions League 2022 - Final on 01:09 - May 6 by burnsieespana

Good luck RSCOSWORTH!
Hopefully I have understood requirements correct but if not Wessex appreciate the nod from you!
3-1
Marne
54 minute

All looks good to be Burnsie, safely logged.

Up the U's

U'sual Champions League 2022 - Final on 16:47 - May 6 with 1525 viewswessex_exile

My picks:

(A) Result: Liverpool 3 Real Madrid 2
(B) Goal scorer: Salah
(C) Attempts on target: 15
(D) Attempts off target: 14
(E) Corners: 13
(F) Fouls: 32
(G) Yellow cards: 7
(H) Red cards: 1
(TB) Tie-break: 62 minutes

Up the U's

U'sual Champions League 2022 - Final on 16:55 - May 6 with 1521 viewsgerry_us

U'sual Champions League 2022 - Final on 16:47 - May 6 by wessex_exile

My picks:

(A) Result: Liverpool 3 Real Madrid 2
(B) Goal scorer: Salah
(C) Attempts on target: 15
(D) Attempts off target: 14
(E) Corners: 13
(F) Fouls: 32
(G) Yellow cards: 7
(H) Red cards: 1
(TB) Tie-break: 62 minutes

Early days Wessex, I'll keep you guessing!
U'sual Champions League 2022 - Final on 18:36 - May 6 with 1513 viewswessex_exile

U'sual Champions League 2022 - Final on 16:55 - May 6 by gerry_us

Early days Wessex, I'll keep you guessing!

LOL - as I have a tendency to forget, thought better safe than sorry :-)

Up the U's

U'sual Champions League 2022 - Final on 10:24 - May 21 with 1458 viewsgerry_us

(A) Result: Liverpool 1 Real Madrid 2
(B) Goal scorer: Benzema
(C) Attempts on target: 12
(D) Attempts off target: 18
(E) Corners: 15
(F) Fouls: 38
(G) Yellow cards: 3
(H) Red cards: 0
(TB) Tie-break: 46 minutes
U'sual Champions League 2022 - Final on 06:34 - May 27 with 1330 viewswessex_exile

I know RS will have this in hand, but giving this a little bump to remind all it’s the big day tomorrow.

Up the U's

U'sual Champions League 2022 - Final on 09:18 - May 27 with 1315 viewsRSCOSWORTH

U'sual Champions League 2022 - Final on 06:34 - May 27 by wessex_exile

I know RS will have this in hand, but giving this a little bump to remind all it’s the big day tomorrow.

Cheers Wessex. I had actually completely forgot so thanks for the reminder.

Poll: How many polls will Leadbelly do this season?

Login to get fewer ads

U'sual Champions League 2022 - Final on 15:44 - May 27 with 1302 viewswessex_exile

U'sual Champions League 2022 - Final on 09:18 - May 27 by RSCOSWORTH

Cheers Wessex. I had actually completely forgot so thanks for the reminder.

In which case, my apologies Burnsie

Up the U's

U'sual Champions League 2022 - Final on 20:30 - May 27 with 1288 viewsRSCOSWORTH

U'sual Champions League 2022 - Final on 15:44 - May 27 by wessex_exile

In which case, my apologies Burnsie

Ha Ha! I thought the same.

Just to clarify is it definitely Attempts off target you're looking for? The BBC normally do Total Attempts and Attempts on target but I assume you're going to take one from the other to get your Attempts off target total?

U'sual Champions League 2022 - Final on 20:40 - May 27 with 1286 viewsRSCOSWORTH

All the best burnsieespana. It’s not just in Paris it’s England V Spain.

(A) 1-2
(B) Benzema
(C) 9
(D) 16
(E) 9
(F) 22
(G) 4
(H) 0
(TB) 47

U'sual Champions League 2022 - Final on 08:14 - May 28 with 1263 viewswessex_exile

U'sual Champions League 2022 - Final on 20:30 - May 27 by RSCOSWORTH

Ha Ha! I thought the same.

Just to clarify is it definitely Attempts off target you're looking for? The BBC normally do Total Attempts and Attempts on target but I assume you're going to take one from the other to get your Attempts off target total?

Your assumption is correct RS. The Beeb always used to do the on-target and off-target tallies separately when I first started doing this. When they changed, I left the spreadsheet as it is, rather than breaking it unnecessarily.

Anyway, predictions for all are good, so here we go - good luck everyone!

Up the U's

U'sual Champions League 2022 - Final on 19:05 - May 28 with 1239 viewswessex_exile

Just under an hour to go, and depending how thick and fast the action is, I will endeavour to do regular updates 'as it happens'.

Technically, as it is currently 0-0 and zero for all the other categories, burnsieespana has one hand on the trophy, leading RSCOSWORTH 6-2.

In the 3rd place play-off gerry_us holds a 4-2 lead over wessex_exile.

Edit: kick-off delayed by 15 minutes due to fan congestion trying to get in.

Edit 2: Now delayed until 8.30pm, with reports of tear gas being used outside the ground.
[Post edited 28 May 2022 20:12]

Up the U's

U'sual Champions League 2022 - Final on 21:04 - May 28 with 1211 viewswessex_exile

Liverpool controlling the game right now, and with shots on and off target Burnsie moves into a 7-2 lead.

Up the U's

U'sual Champions League 2022 - Final on 21:11 - May 28 with 1209 viewswessex_exile

6th foul up, and Burnsie moves to a spot-on in that category and an 8-2 lead - can't help feeling there'll be more though?

Up the U's

U'sual Champions League 2022 - Final on 21:41 - May 28 with 1205 viewswessex_exile

Half-time, with Liverpool easily on top. However, with Benzema's goal ruled out for offside, there's very little change in the UCL.

In the main event, Burnsie still leads 7-2 over RSC.

I've moved a point closer to Gerry, but he still leads 4-3 in the 3rd place play-off.

Up the U's

U'sual Champions League 2022 - Final on 21:58 - May 28 with 1204 viewswessex_exile

Junior gives Real Madrid the lead, and RSC moves closer with the outcome as things stand, now 3pts to Burnsie's 7pts.

Bad news for yours truly, as Gerry moves into a 5-3 lead.

Up the U's

U'sual Champions League 2022 - Final on 22:08 - May 28 with 1202 viewswessex_exile

...and now the pendulum starts to swing - RSC now 4-4 with Burnsie as the various categories start to tick over.

Gerry still 5-3 ahead in the 3rd place play-off.

Up the U's

U'sual Champions League 2022 - Final on 22:10 - May 28 with 1201 viewswessex_exile

U'sual Champions League 2022 - Final on 22:08 - May 28 by wessex_exile

...and now the pendulum starts to swing - RSC now 4-4 with Burnsie as the various categories start to tick over.

Gerry still 5-3 ahead in the 3rd place play-off.

...and with 18 minutes to go, RSC moves into a 7-4 lead with attempts on target spot-on.

Up the U's

U'sual Champions League 2022 - Final on 23:11 - May 28 with 1192 viewswessex_exile

...and so it has finished, and the result is:
Liverpool 0 Real Madrid 1 (Junior 59')

Heartbreak for Liverpool, but who can doubt Real Madrid's pedigree in European Cup football. It was gritty, dogged at times, but Liverpool didn't convert their chances, and Real did.

U'sual Champions League Final

In the UCL Final, our winner is RSCOSWORTH, but it ended up very close. He had the outcome, spot-on 2pts for the absence of red cards, and 1pt each for attempts both on and off target and fouls, to finish on 6 points. Mind you, burnsieespana ran him a very close race, finishing with 2pts for both a spot-on with corners and red cards, and 1pt for yellow cards, to finish just one behind on 5pts.

3rd Place play-off

In the battle for 3rd place gerry_us never really looked to be in any trouble, and easily won with a 2pt spot-on for red cards, and points for the outcome, attempts on and off target and yellow cards, to claim 3rd place with 6pts. Congratulations my friend, my solitary points for corners and fouls were nowhere near enough to make a challenge.

Thanks to everyone who has taken part in the U'sual Champions League this season, it's been a blast, and...

Massive congratulations to RSCOSWORTH as the the 2022 U'sual Champions League winner.

Up the U's

U'sual Champions League 2022 - Final on 23:24 - May 28 with 1190 viewsgerry_us

U'sual Champions League 2022 - Final on 23:11 - May 28 by wessex_exile

...and so it has finished, and the result is:
Liverpool 0 Real Madrid 1 (Junior 59')

Heartbreak for Liverpool, but who can doubt Real Madrid's pedigree in European Cup football. It was gritty, dogged at times, but Liverpool didn't convert their chances, and Real did.

U'sual Champions League Final

In the UCL Final, our winner is RSCOSWORTH, but it ended up very close. He had the outcome, spot-on 2pts for the absence of red cards, and 1pt each for attempts both on and off target and fouls, to finish on 6 points. Mind you, burnsieespana ran him a very close race, finishing with 2pts for both a spot-on with corners and red cards, and 1pt for yellow cards, to finish just one behind on 5pts.

3rd Place play-off

In the battle for 3rd place gerry_us never really looked to be in any trouble, and easily won with a 2pt spot-on for red cards, and points for the outcome, attempts on and off target and yellow cards, to claim 3rd place with 6pts. Congratulations my friend, my solitary points for corners and fouls were nowhere near enough to make a challenge.

Thanks to everyone who has taken part in the U'sual Champions League this season, it's been a blast, and...

Massive congratulations to RSCOSWORTH as the the 2022 U'sual Champions League winner.

Many congrats RSC and thanks Wessex for a great competition and summary.
Third place eh! Does that give me brownie;... no Happy points?
U'sual Champions League 2022 - Final on 08:25 - May 29 with 1177 viewsburnsieespana

Congratulations RSC.
Thanks Wessex for organising a superb competition
So the season at various points promised a lot for yours truly ended up with zilch!
U'sual Champions League 2022 - Final on 15:22 - May 30 with 1129 viewsRSCOSWORTH

Wow! I've finally won one of these! It's been a long time coming and is actually bittersweet as a Liverpool supporter especially as it was my prediction of Madrid to win that proved to be the difference.

Well done for reaching the final burnsie and I'm sure you would've won it had Liverpool had their shooting boots on.

Thanks for organising Wessex. A superbly run competition and one that I'm sure requires a fair bit of admin, it's much appreciated.

Also congratulations to gerry on his third place finish.

Until next season...

CheeRS

U'sual Champions League 2022 - Final on 23:49 - May 30 with 1098 viewswessex_exile

Thanks for your feedback chaps, very much appreciated!

Up the U's

U'sual Champions League 2022 - Final on 01:23 - Jun 2 with 1066 viewsMrHappy2

Brilliant comp well done RC x

Poll: In its 20th season how has the Happy League affected your life ?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024