Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
signings 20:52 - Jul 2 with 2133 viewssaint22

Rather underwhelming
see Tarkowski has gone to everton, just what we needed
No strikers other than Che really
signings on 21:04 - Jul 2 with 2106 viewsSaintsforeverj

Other teams, even Forest are bringing in established good players. We are only bringing in young players who have never played PL football. We get rid of Forster, who was outstanding in many games, to keep Cabalero and McCarthy. I read an article today saying that Bazunu will be good but has a lot to learn, so isn't ready yet. So will we start the season with McCarthy? Seems to me like a right c@ck up and very naive thinking, as things stand.
[Post edited 2 Jul 2022 21:27]

Poll: Would you like Ings to come back?

signings on 21:22 - Jul 2 with 2068 viewsPatfromPoole

I kind of get the idea of signing promising young players.

They will be keen to impress so that they can have a great career. And we potentially make big money in selling them.

The difficulty is in getting them to gel as part of a team in a tough league where there are no easy games.

Particularly at short notice if we are going to do our usual thing of making signings a week or two before the start of the season.

Poll: If we win a play-off semi at St. Mary’s should there be a pitch invasion?

signings on 21:45 - Jul 2 with 2015 viewsElijahK

signings on 21:04 - Jul 2 by Saintsforeverj

Other teams, even Forest are bringing in established good players. We are only bringing in young players who have never played PL football. We get rid of Forster, who was outstanding in many games, to keep Cabalero and McCarthy. I read an article today saying that Bazunu will be good but has a lot to learn, so isn't ready yet. So will we start the season with McCarthy? Seems to me like a right c@ck up and very naive thinking, as things stand.
[Post edited 2 Jul 2022 21:27]

You say we got rid of Forster, but you do realise that he left as he wouldn’t take the contract that we offered him, as he wanted more, which is why he joined spurs, and we were never gonna give a keeper that’s barely PL quality and quite old the sort of things he wanted.
And he wasn’t even that great ether, as he had many flaws and poor games, just as much as he had decent ones, as yeah he was better than McCarthy in the end, but not by much and wasn’t a PL keeper ether. So this new keeper we’ve signed seems decent, but even if he’s not the greatest to start, he’s at least got a future and seems like he’s on the right track soo far, so even if it takes him a season to settle it, he’ll probably be the best keeper we’ve had in many years. So I think that if we weren’t gonna get Pope, then he wasn’t actually a bad shout.

But for certain other positions I do agree, as we do need an experienced proven prem striker and centre half, but that’s just 2 players, as most of the rest could be youth and could end up being pretty decent. As I think that people overestimate the importance of experience, as there are many amazing youth players coming through that don’t have much experienced, but do play amazingly and much better than your typical experienced average player (like KWP, Livermento, Broja etc, especially when you compare then to the likes of Bertrand, Cedric, Austin etc).

Poll: Should the football be on again next weekend

signings on 22:17 - Jul 2 with 1979 viewsSaintsforeverj

signings on 21:45 - Jul 2 by ElijahK

You say we got rid of Forster, but you do realise that he left as he wouldn’t take the contract that we offered him, as he wanted more, which is why he joined spurs, and we were never gonna give a keeper that’s barely PL quality and quite old the sort of things he wanted.
And he wasn’t even that great ether, as he had many flaws and poor games, just as much as he had decent ones, as yeah he was better than McCarthy in the end, but not by much and wasn’t a PL keeper ether. So this new keeper we’ve signed seems decent, but even if he’s not the greatest to start, he’s at least got a future and seems like he’s on the right track soo far, so even if it takes him a season to settle it, he’ll probably be the best keeper we’ve had in many years. So I think that if we weren’t gonna get Pope, then he wasn’t actually a bad shout.

But for certain other positions I do agree, as we do need an experienced proven prem striker and centre half, but that’s just 2 players, as most of the rest could be youth and could end up being pretty decent. As I think that people overestimate the importance of experience, as there are many amazing youth players coming through that don’t have much experienced, but do play amazingly and much better than your typical experienced average player (like KWP, Livermento, Broja etc, especially when you compare then to the likes of Bertrand, Cedric, Austin etc).

I agree with your reasoning regarding Forster, and that is indeed why he went and the others stayed. They are cheaper. But on the goalkeeper front, I really hope they don't play McCarthy at the start of the season, as they ease Bazunu in. McCarthy is a disaster imo. He played in all the nine nils and was dreadful at Leicester and Brentford and the other games at the end of the season.

The problem I can see with getting that proven PL striker and experienced defender is that they cost money and wages we won't pay. We will end up buying another young championship player won't we, like Armstrong plus a young loan player. Same in defence. We only have Adams and Armstrong. We need to sign a quality striker to help them and he will cost money. I doubt we'll do it. And if we don't, we won't score goals and the young defenders at the back will make mistakes. A recipe for disaster.

Poll: Would you like Ings to come back?

signings on 22:39 - Jul 2 with 1954 viewsElijahK

signings on 22:17 - Jul 2 by Saintsforeverj

I agree with your reasoning regarding Forster, and that is indeed why he went and the others stayed. They are cheaper. But on the goalkeeper front, I really hope they don't play McCarthy at the start of the season, as they ease Bazunu in. McCarthy is a disaster imo. He played in all the nine nils and was dreadful at Leicester and Brentford and the other games at the end of the season.

The problem I can see with getting that proven PL striker and experienced defender is that they cost money and wages we won't pay. We will end up buying another young championship player won't we, like Armstrong plus a young loan player. Same in defence. We only have Adams and Armstrong. We need to sign a quality striker to help them and he will cost money. I doubt we'll do it. And if we don't, we won't score goals and the young defenders at the back will make mistakes. A recipe for disaster.

In all fairness I don’t think McCarthy was that bad at Leicester (as in the away game), as I recall him pulling off a great save that day (although in the end it was irrelevant), and Brentford wise I wasn’t there so can’t remember.
But yeah I agree that McCarthy wasn’t good ether, as I originally wanted him to stay in goal over Forster, but in all fairness Forster was certainly better, but still not good enough to be a PL quality keeper (or at least not a decent one). So I just hope this new lads decent enough as he then should be our number 1, and even if he wasn’t we do also now have that Polish lad.

And look yeah I completely agree with what you’ve said about why we need an experienced, proven PL quality striker and defender, it’s just us signing some youth lads along side those two I’d think would actually be decent. But never the less we do still need them, but let’s hope that we do manage to get them in or we could be in for it (although I don’t see us going down, but that’s only due to how much sh*ter the other teams might be, as I can quite easily see Bournemouth, Fulham, Leeds and maybe even Brentford (with second season syndrome), Forest or the likes of Brighton finishing below us).
[Post edited 2 Jul 2022 22:41]

signings on 23:26 - Jul 2 with 1897 viewsPatfromPoole

signings on 22:39 - Jul 2 by ElijahK

In all fairness I don’t think McCarthy was that bad at Leicester (as in the away game), as I recall him pulling off a great save that day (although in the end it was irrelevant), and Brentford wise I wasn’t there so can’t remember.
But yeah I agree that McCarthy wasn’t good ether, as I originally wanted him to stay in goal over Forster, but in all fairness Forster was certainly better, but still not good enough to be a PL quality keeper (or at least not a decent one). So I just hope this new lads decent enough as he then should be our number 1, and even if he wasn’t we do also now have that Polish lad.

And look yeah I completely agree with what you’ve said about why we need an experienced, proven PL quality striker and defender, it’s just us signing some youth lads along side those two I’d think would actually be decent. But never the less we do still need them, but let’s hope that we do manage to get them in or we could be in for it (although I don’t see us going down, but that’s only due to how much sh*ter the other teams might be, as I can quite easily see Bournemouth, Fulham, Leeds and maybe even Brentford (with second season syndrome), Forest or the likes of Brighton finishing below us).
[Post edited 2 Jul 2022 22:41]

Brighton will be at least 10 points ahead of us at the end of the season.

17th is our best hope. Unrealistic to expect anything better with the current manager and squad.

signings on 00:43 - Jul 3 with 1852 viewsElijahK

signings on 23:26 - Jul 2 by PatfromPoole

Brighton will be at least 10 points ahead of us at the end of the season.

17th is our best hope. Unrealistic to expect anything better with the current manager and squad.

You say that, but like with Brentford, I could see them having just that dodgy season where they go down, as they’re not your typical PL team, and I personally think that they’ve had their decent spells, yes, but it’s only a matter of time until they go down.
But I see us finishing basically the same as last season, so around 15th, as I also think we’ll have another great and poor rub, but not the extremes like we did last season.

signings on 07:29 - Jul 3 with 1755 viewsCity_boy

The transfer window has been open 3 days, and the panic buttons are already being hit. Many of the comments about experience needed and the goal keeper positions etc, are valid, but let's hold fire before going into a meltdown about lack of transfer activity, and give the club and new management team a chance.

Saints have always kept their counsel about transfers and rumours.
Login to get fewer ads

signings on 08:38 - Jul 3 with 1674 views1teeminants

signings on 07:29 - Jul 3 by City_boy

The transfer window has been open 3 days, and the panic buttons are already being hit. Many of the comments about experience needed and the goal keeper positions etc, are valid, but let's hold fire before going into a meltdown about lack of transfer activity, and give the club and new management team a chance.

Yeah completely agree. None of us have a clue what’s going on behind the scenes as Saints are very cagey in their dealings which is how it should be. If we haven’t t signed another 4 or 5 players by the end of July I will be very surprised and alarmed because as it stands the squad is nowhere near good enough.

Poll: Would you take an Fa Cup win if it meant relegation to the championship ?

signings on 08:39 - Jul 3 with 1672 viewsA1079

What is that old saying City_boy:-

"the early bird catches the worm"

If the worm has already gone then it is no longer available!
signings on 08:53 - Jul 3 with 1650 viewsSaintNick

Wise words from City boy, already some are predicting doom and gloom, yet I would say that we potentially could have a better squad than last season, we have already made three signings, two of which are potential first teamers.

We have cleared out three members of the squad last season, Broja is the most high profile, but on reflection he only scored 6 goals, offered little in terms of assists etc and it will not be difficult to replace him.

Forster has already been replaced and ironically I think it will be Long who we will miss the most.

So our squad is a striker short at present in terms of last season.

Also we have got a lot of wages off the payroll, Forster was costing us £90k a week, thats around £5 million a year, the financial constraints are starting to lift and with new owners things have changed from the last 3 years.

So there are reasons to be optimistic, but if you can't be optimistic at least be open minded and give the club and new owners a chance to show that things have changed and for the better.

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

signings on 08:58 - Jul 3 with 1631 viewsPatfromPoole

signings on 08:53 - Jul 3 by SaintNick

Wise words from City boy, already some are predicting doom and gloom, yet I would say that we potentially could have a better squad than last season, we have already made three signings, two of which are potential first teamers.

We have cleared out three members of the squad last season, Broja is the most high profile, but on reflection he only scored 6 goals, offered little in terms of assists etc and it will not be difficult to replace him.

Forster has already been replaced and ironically I think it will be Long who we will miss the most.

Also we have got a lot of wages off the payroll, Forster was costing us £90k a week, thats around £5 million a year, the financial constraints are starting to lift and with new owners things have changed from the last 3 years.

So there are reasons to be optimistic, but if you can't be optimistic at least be open minded and give the club and new owners a chance to show that things have changed and for the better.

I am open-minded.

But if you think that:-

- we have strengthened the squad
- Broja will not be difficult to replace

Then I am really beginning to question your judgment.

As I have said many a time, Broja was about a lot more than goals and assists. He was clearly felt by oppo defences to be our main threat, which created space for others. He pushed us up the pitch, which enabled more time in oppo penalty areas and hence more overall goal threat.

Strikers like that are very hard to find.

signings on 09:30 - Jul 3 with 1587 views1ASIN12

signings on 22:17 - Jul 2 by Saintsforeverj

Forster played against Brentford but you are right the goalkeeper - Forster - was dreadful.

Forster had a few bad games when he came back into the side - Watford for example and their 1st goal.

To be honest both Forster and McCarthy are poor goalies and none would probably start for any other established top flight club.

Oh and Gunn played in our 9-0 against Leicester .
signings on 09:32 - Jul 3 with 1585 viewsSaintNick

signings on 08:58 - Jul 3 by PatfromPoole

I am open-minded.

But if you think that:-

- we have strengthened the squad
- Broja will not be difficult to replace

Then I am really beginning to question your judgment.

As I have said many a time, Broja was about a lot more than goals and assists. He was clearly felt by oppo defences to be our main threat, which created space for others. He pushed us up the pitch, which enabled more time in oppo penalty areas and hence more overall goal threat.

Strikers like that are very hard to find.

I didn't say we have a stronger squad yet, I said that we potentially will have..

At the moment we have lost three players in Broja, Forster & Long and brought in two.

The key areas last season were we were found lacking at certain periods were Goalkeeper, Central Defence & up front.

We have got a goalkeeper on £90 k a week off the books and signed one of the most promising prospects, Yes i would rather than seen us get Dean Henderson on loan, but it wasn't our new owners that gave McCarthy & Stephens new contracts, so we have done what we have done, at the moment the jury has to be out on whether we are stronger or not in goal.

The central defence has a new signing in Armel Bella-Kotchap and no one yet left, so that is stronger, we just don't know yet by how miuch, I still would like to see some experience, but just by adding another player it is stronger/

So why do you think Broja will be difficult to replace, he scored 6 goals in the premier League for us and didnt score any in his last 13 Premier League games and scored just twice in the league after scoring against Palace in mid december.

He played 33 League games and apart from his 6 goals had just one assist, he scored once every 331 minutes in terms of minutes on the pitch.

Adam Armstrong scored just twice, but also had 3 assists, he scored a goal every 700 minutes.

So effectively Saints have to sign a striker that will get them six Premier League goals next season, do you think that is a good total for a striker.

Broja may well become a genuine Premier League quality striker for someone going forward, yes he had a purple patch in the two months between October - December when he scored 4 goals in 9 games, but before and after that he was not that great, you are quick to point out Saints end of season run as to why we will struggle next season, part of that run was that we persevered with Broja when he never looked like scoring for long periods,.

As I say he may well become a top player, but his contribution last season overall will not be hard to replace.

I'm sorry but you are wrong about his running and creating space, this was the weakest part of his game, he basically was only effective when he got the ball and ran at the opposition, all his goals were scored with his right foot, none on his left and none with his head.

Did the opposition defences sus him out in the second half of the season ? There is a case for that they boxed him into blind alleys.

As I say he may well be a top player, but he didn't have the tactical awareness and nous to create space for others, but then again how could he when before his arrival here he had barely 30 games to his name with Vittesse in Holland .

When the opposition got his measure he was lost a 20 year old not sure where to run off the ball.

Watch Che Adams or Shane Long in his hey day they know how to draw defenders out of position

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

signings on 09:44 - Jul 3 with 1558 viewsSadoldgit

3rd July. Bit early for bed wetting isn’t it? If the reports are true that we are just about to bring in a new Head of Recruitment, wouldn’t it make sense to let him get through the door before embarking on a raft of new signings?
[Post edited 3 Jul 2022 9:47]
signings on 11:41 - Jul 3 with 1468 viewsA1079

signings on 09:44 - Jul 3 by Sadoldgit

3rd July. Bit early for bed wetting isn’t it? If the reports are true that we are just about to bring in a new Head of Recruitment, wouldn’t it make sense to let him get through the door before embarking on a raft of new signings?
[Post edited 3 Jul 2022 9:47]

No one is bed wetting SOG. They are merely stating things as they currently are. But, as I have said, there is still time and it may be that there are plans etc in place and all those concerns will be erased. Most fans, if not all, will be delighted if that is the case. I think what may be nagging is the fact that the last third of the season is so fresh in the memory and the new one is earlier and just around the corner.
signings on 11:55 - Jul 3 with 1450 viewsIanSouthstander

Apparently Tarkowski chose Everton because he wants to win things !
signings on 12:50 - Jul 3 with 1389 viewsCenturion

Anyone think Pukki from Norwich could be a good signing? Apparently he is keen on another season or two in the PL
signings on 13:04 - Jul 3 with 1362 viewsBicester_North

signings on 12:50 - Jul 3 by Centurion

Anyone think Pukki from Norwich could be a good signing? Apparently he is keen on another season or two in the PL

Would much rather a striker in the Pelle mould, big, strong and good in the air

Poll: Who do you feel most sorry for

signings on 13:33 - Jul 3 with 1321 viewsPatfromPoole

signings on 13:04 - Jul 3 by Bicester_North

Agreed.

signings on 14:06 - Jul 3 with 1286 views1teeminants

signings on 13:04 - Jul 3 by Bicester_North

Yes I agree too but we’d need to pull a rabbit out of the hat because I can’t see us spending more than 10/15 million on one .

Poll: Would you take an Fa Cup win if it meant relegation to the championship ?

signings on 16:20 - Jul 3 with 1164 viewsSadoldgit

signings on 11:41 - Jul 3 by A1079

No one is bed wetting SOG. They are merely stating things as they currently are. But, as I have said, there is still time and it may be that there are plans etc in place and all those concerns will be erased. Most fans, if not all, will be delighted if that is the case. I think what may be nagging is the fact that the last third of the season is so fresh in the memory and the new one is earlier and just around the corner.

Two months to go till the window shuts. We have already signed some players with more due in. Looks like the Lavia deal is done. As mentioned many players wait until July 1st until they move so they get their loyalty bonuses. It isn’t as if nothing is happening. Joe Shields is just about to be announced as the new Head of Recruitment apparently so we can probably expect to see more activity in the transfer market soon enough.
[Post edited 3 Jul 2022 16:55]
signings on 19:46 - Jul 3 with 1038 viewsButty101

signings on 08:53 - Jul 3 by SaintNick

Just as we get rid of some mostly cheap punts that didn’t work, we replace them with equally crap punts. Walcott, dnepo, and diallo for example. We need some of these young punts to actually start working. I’m slightly surprised no one has been linked with kwp that said

Poll: Has the Ross Stewart deal already paid off as Nick says?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024