Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
2 friendlies and it is..... 23:10 - Jul 18 with 2717 viewsA1079

as clear as night follows day that we lack any striking power. Then Ralph states the bleedin' obvious that we have all been watching, seeing and saying for an absolute age "we are missing something in the final third" - yes Ralph - a quality striker! Sort it out before it is too late.
2 friendlies and it is..... on 23:12 - Jul 18 with 2487 viewsPatfromPoole

We need two strikers, I think.

I don’t see Tella as a striker, and most definitely not Redmond.

Which just leaves Che and Adam Armstrong.

Nowhere near enough goal threat between that lot.

Poll: If we win a play-off semi at St. Mary’s should there be a pitch invasion?

2 friendlies and it is..... on 23:26 - Jul 18 with 2449 viewsthissceptredsaint

I'm not Ralf's biggest fan but you can hear his frustration . He clearly has been crying out to the powers that be for a while that we need firepower and nothings happening. We haven't got time to bed in new and better coaching we need the board to open their wallets and do what's necessary to stay in this league. Stop being so fdbogmatic
2 friendlies and it is..... on 06:20 - Jul 19 with 2302 views1teeminants

2 friendlies and it is..... on 23:12 - Jul 18 by PatfromPoole

We need two strikers, I think.

I don’t see Tella as a striker, and most definitely not Redmond.

Which just leaves Che and Adam Armstrong.

Nowhere near enough goal threat between that lot.

Yes agree Pat we need two strikers . The trouble is we all know really good strikers cost a lot of money which we either haven’t got or we aren’t prepared to spend on as we continually shop in the 8 to 12 million price bracket so unless we unearth some hidden gems like Mane and Pelle without spending too much money on we’re in deep trouble. These players are often linked to many other clubs too who often blow us out of the water with their spending power.

The only thing which we can offer players over our rivals is a quick route to premier league football because they know they’ll get game time which allows them to be in the shop window and if they’re any good as we know they won’t stay here long.

I’m beginning to think the premier league has become too rich for a club of our intentions and with owners like ours. What really is the point of trying to finish around 15 th place every season. ?

Poll: Would you take an Fa Cup win if it meant relegation to the championship ?

2 friendlies and it is..... on 07:02 - Jul 19 with 2250 viewssaintwizzler

2 friendlies and it is..... on 06:20 - Jul 19 by 1teeminants

Yes agree Pat we need two strikers . The trouble is we all know really good strikers cost a lot of money which we either haven’t got or we aren’t prepared to spend on as we continually shop in the 8 to 12 million price bracket so unless we unearth some hidden gems like Mane and Pelle without spending too much money on we’re in deep trouble. These players are often linked to many other clubs too who often blow us out of the water with their spending power.

The only thing which we can offer players over our rivals is a quick route to premier league football because they know they’ll get game time which allows them to be in the shop window and if they’re any good as we know they won’t stay here long.

I’m beginning to think the premier league has become too rich for a club of our intentions and with owners like ours. What really is the point of trying to finish around 15 th place every season. ?

Day out on the pîss

We thought that we had the answers, It was the questions we had wrong.
Poll: Knowing what we know now, should we have sacked Hasenhüttl?

2 friendlies and it is..... on 07:33 - Jul 19 with 2211 viewsButty101

2 friendlies and it is..... on 07:02 - Jul 19 by saintwizzler

Day out on the pîss

Invariably football gets in the way of a good booze up

Poll: Has the Ross Stewart deal already paid off as Nick says?

2 friendlies and it is..... on 08:27 - Jul 19 with 2157 views1teeminants

2 friendlies and it is..... on 07:02 - Jul 19 by saintwizzler

Day out on the pîss

Yep always got that 😃

Poll: Would you take an Fa Cup win if it meant relegation to the championship ?

2 friendlies and it is..... on 13:02 - Jul 19 with 1969 viewsDorsetIan

2 friendlies and it is..... on 06:20 - Jul 19 by 1teeminants

The club (and the city) are big enough to expect to be competing in the highest league in the country.

If we're not competing - by which I would mean starting each season with at least some prospect of finishing in the top half - then that's not the fault of the premier league, it's the fault of the owners of the club.

The Gao years were a time of stagnation and I would give the new owners the benefit of the doubt in terms of needing a bit of time to turn things around to make their own mark.

So far - sticking Ralph and continuing the policy of buying players who are 'gambles' - it all feels a bit like same old same old, but let's at least wait for the season to start and the transfer window to close.

I don't feel at all optimistic about the new season, but I've renewed my season ticket, so let's see what happens.

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

2 friendlies and it is..... on 13:07 - Jul 19 with 1963 views1885_SFC

It'll be the usual situation ; at the 11th hour of the transfer window, we will sign a striker on loan from one of the big clubs.

Old School is Cool

Login to get fewer ads

2 friendlies and it is..... on 13:36 - Jul 19 with 1915 viewssaints__fan__73

2 friendlies and it is..... on 13:02 - Jul 19 by DorsetIan

The club (and the city) are big enough to expect to be competing in the highest league in the country.

If we're not competing - by which I would mean starting each season with at least some prospect of finishing in the top half - then that's not the fault of the premier league, it's the fault of the owners of the club.

The Gao years were a time of stagnation and I would give the new owners the benefit of the doubt in terms of needing a bit of time to turn things around to make their own mark.

So far - sticking Ralph and continuing the policy of buying players who are 'gambles' - it all feels a bit like same old same old, but let's at least wait for the season to start and the transfer window to close.

I don't feel at all optimistic about the new season, but I've renewed my season ticket, so let's see what happens.

What's size of city got to do with anything? Bristol is very large.

To be more than a relegation battling club we need an owner who will supplement the PL cash with his own money. In the 130+ years of the club we have only had an owner who did this for a couple of seasons (when Markus owned the club).

"Playing Devil's Advocate since 15th January 2014"
Poll: Have the events of the Summer made Nick feel closer to LFC?

2 friendlies and it is..... on 14:48 - Jul 19 with 1844 viewsDorsetIan

2 friendlies and it is..... on 13:36 - Jul 19 by saints__fan__73

What's size of city got to do with anything? Bristol is very large.

To be more than a relegation battling club we need an owner who will supplement the PL cash with his own money. In the 130+ years of the club we have only had an owner who did this for a couple of seasons (when Markus owned the club).

There's a pretty good correlation between the size of a city and where its club or clubs sits in the league structure. Although clearly there are exceptions.

The point is that the city (and catchment area) should be big enough to fill a 32,000 seater stadium and provide the fans necessary to support a commercially large enough operation to compete in the premier league.

2 friendlies and it is..... on 17:44 - Jul 19 with 1746 viewsPoirot

Yes, we need a goalscorer, but the key will be whether somehow Hasenhuttl can organize the team. Get them marking players and not rely on the busted flush of wingbacks. Thats pretty basic stuff but doesnt happen in most games and why we shed 60 goals per season under his management.
2 friendlies and it is..... on 18:59 - Jul 19 with 1687 viewsdirk_doone

Talking of buying players, the Klagenfurt team cost the square root of nothing and their total wage bill is considerably less than we pay one player. Even Eastleigh have spent more on building their team. Yet, I couldn't see any great difference in standard between our players and theirs.

I guess the real test will come when we come up against those giants of the English game, Watford.
[Post edited 19 Jul 2022 19:03]

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

2 friendlies and it is..... on 08:52 - Jul 20 with 1467 viewskernow

2 friendlies and it is..... on 18:59 - Jul 19 by dirk_doone

Talking of buying players, the Klagenfurt team cost the square root of nothing and their total wage bill is considerably less than we pay one player. Even Eastleigh have spent more on building their team. Yet, I couldn't see any great difference in standard between our players and theirs.

I guess the real test will come when we come up against those giants of the English game, Watford.
[Post edited 19 Jul 2022 19:03]

Last game I watched was against them and they beat Saints easily.
Hardly surprising when the team were just going through the motions and taking the p1ss.
Left early, thoroughly disgusted.
2 friendlies and it is..... on 12:21 - Jul 20 with 1381 viewsSaintNick

2 friendlies and it is..... on 08:52 - Jul 20 by kernow

Last game I watched was against them and they beat Saints easily.
Hardly surprising when the team were just going through the motions and taking the p1ss.
Left early, thoroughly disgusted.

Having just got back from Austria, I am amazed at the amount of ranting that has been going on after the two games there, they were both half paced friendlies against sides who were also in pre season.

These weren't blood and thunder games with both sides playing with passion, they were games were around 40 plus different players used in each game between each side.

We can't judge an entire season based on the first two friendlies of the year with mix and match sides.

We know that most transfers are done in the week or so before the start of the season or the last few days of the transfer window, yet loads are moaning we havent got a striker and then blaming the owners for not putting their hands in their pockets.

So far they have done yes we may need to see a couple to balance the books, but we have got business done early.

Some seem to think that we have a divine right to be in the Premier League, that all that is holding us back is our failure to spend big, that is no guarantee of success as many have found out.

The Championship is packed with clubs who probably have more of a claim to be in the Premier League than us if we take into account history and support, Sunderland, Birmingham, Sheffield United, West Brom to name just a few and there are several more who could say they are just as big a club as us, Stoke springs to mind here.

A lot of things have changed at St Mary's this year, new owners, a complete revamp of the coaching staff, yet still people harp on about last season and repeating it, scoring goals will be a problem if we don't get a striker, but it was a problem last year, possibly because our first choice striker on loan from Chelsea only scored 6 goals in the Premier League and barely scored after Xmas.

Yet he is heralded as some sort of success, he may go on to have a long distinguished career, but if West Ham sign him for £30 million and he only gets 6 goals, I doubt their fans will be happy with him

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

2 friendlies and it is..... on 12:29 - Jul 20 with 1356 viewssaints__fan__73

2 friendlies and it is..... on 12:21 - Jul 20 by SaintNick

Having just got back from Austria, I am amazed at the amount of ranting that has been going on after the two games there, they were both half paced friendlies against sides who were also in pre season.

These weren't blood and thunder games with both sides playing with passion, they were games were around 40 plus different players used in each game between each side.

We can't judge an entire season based on the first two friendlies of the year with mix and match sides.

We know that most transfers are done in the week or so before the start of the season or the last few days of the transfer window, yet loads are moaning we havent got a striker and then blaming the owners for not putting their hands in their pockets.

So far they have done yes we may need to see a couple to balance the books, but we have got business done early.

Some seem to think that we have a divine right to be in the Premier League, that all that is holding us back is our failure to spend big, that is no guarantee of success as many have found out.

The Championship is packed with clubs who probably have more of a claim to be in the Premier League than us if we take into account history and support, Sunderland, Birmingham, Sheffield United, West Brom to name just a few and there are several more who could say they are just as big a club as us, Stoke springs to mind here.

A lot of things have changed at St Mary's this year, new owners, a complete revamp of the coaching staff, yet still people harp on about last season and repeating it, scoring goals will be a problem if we don't get a striker, but it was a problem last year, possibly because our first choice striker on loan from Chelsea only scored 6 goals in the Premier League and barely scored after Xmas.

Yet he is heralded as some sort of success, he may go on to have a long distinguished career, but if West Ham sign him for £30 million and he only gets 6 goals, I doubt their fans will be happy with him

Sounds like you've accepted relegation this season. Fair enough, I can see why.

2 friendlies and it is..... on 12:42 - Jul 20 with 1354 viewsSaintNick

2 friendlies and it is..... on 12:29 - Jul 20 by saints__fan__73

Sounds like you've accepted relegation this season. Fair enough, I can see why.

I havent accepted relegation, we stayed up last year and the squad is bigger and stronger than last year, we sign a striker who can get more than six goals and we will just about be there.

2 friendlies and it is..... on 12:49 - Jul 20 with 1340 viewsSaintsforeverj

2 friendlies and it is..... on 12:21 - Jul 20 by SaintNick

Nick, you have moaned yourself, "banging on" as you put it, about the need for experience in defence. You're right. So say it as it is, stop posting confusing views, and cut the spin. We need an experienced central defender, you have said it, and have done for years. We also need a top striker, not a young player to develop, we need an established PL player we know will score goals. We kick off the PL season in two weeks time. It's nothing to do with anything you have written. Fans are frustrated, as were you in your posts about needing an experienced defender and a leader. We need a top striker. If you don't score goals you go down. That is what we need, so fans are getting jittery with only 2 weeks to go. The friendlies merely reminded us of the poor showing we saw last season. What is the likelihood we will get in an experienced defender and a top established striker in the next two weeks? I hope I'm wrong, but I doubt it will happen as we won't spend the money.

Amazed? I'm amazed it's taken years to sort out a terrible defence. You were equally amazed in your article a few months ago stating the need for an experienced defender. They refuse to do the obvious thing, and that's dam annoying. They deserve criticism for not doing it.
[Post edited 20 Jul 2022 12:52]

Poll: Would you like Ings to come back?

2 friendlies and it is..... on 09:29 - Jul 21 with 1184 viewsRon11

2 friendlies and it is..... on 12:49 - Jul 20 by Saintsforeverj

Nick, you have moaned yourself, "banging on" as you put it, about the need for experience in defence. You're right. So say it as it is, stop posting confusing views, and cut the spin. We need an experienced central defender, you have said it, and have done for years. We also need a top striker, not a young player to develop, we need an established PL player we know will score goals. We kick off the PL season in two weeks time. It's nothing to do with anything you have written. Fans are frustrated, as were you in your posts about needing an experienced defender and a leader. We need a top striker. If you don't score goals you go down. That is what we need, so fans are getting jittery with only 2 weeks to go. The friendlies merely reminded us of the poor showing we saw last season. What is the likelihood we will get in an experienced defender and a top established striker in the next two weeks? I hope I'm wrong, but I doubt it will happen as we won't spend the money.

Amazed? I'm amazed it's taken years to sort out a terrible defence. You were equally amazed in your article a few months ago stating the need for an experienced defender. They refuse to do the obvious thing, and that's dam annoying. They deserve criticism for not doing it.

Amazed? If Broja goes to West Ham, I'll be amazed if he doesn't score ten plus goals, because unlike Saints they'll make sure they get the ball to his feet, instead of suddenly changing the set up halfway through the season.
I remain convinced that the problem here is Hassenhutl, no doubt we'll see dug out bust ups over tactics with the new coaches soon enough.
2 friendlies and it is..... on 09:39 - Jul 21 with 1176 viewsPatfromPoole

2 friendlies and it is..... on 09:29 - Jul 21 by Ron11

Amazed? If Broja goes to West Ham, I'll be amazed if he doesn't score ten plus goals, because unlike Saints they'll make sure they get the ball to his feet, instead of suddenly changing the set up halfway through the season.
I remain convinced that the problem here is Hassenhutl, no doubt we'll see dug out bust ups over tactics with the new coaches soon enough.

Quite.

Broja would score 15 goals for West Ham this season if he stays injury-free.

Poll: If we win a play-off semi at St. Mary’s should there be a pitch invasion?

2 friendlies and it is..... on 11:32 - Jul 21 with 1136 viewsSaintNick

2 friendlies and it is..... on 12:49 - Jul 20 by Saintsforeverj

I do moan and go on about where we are deficient in the side, however what I don't do is claim that we are destined for relegation if we havent signed a striker two weeks before the season has started.

The stats last season dont support the fact that if you don't score goals you go down, we barely scored a goal a game yet stayed up, football is not an exact science.

Why would the friendlies remind anyone of what we saw last season, I can't remember any league game where we basically changed the entire side at half time !

No one is saying that the club do not need criticising, as you say I have been saying it for years, but what we have to stop is this constant doom and gloom prophesising all the time.

As it stands at the moment, we have a stronger squad, players come in in goal, centre of defence, centre of midfield, now all we need is a striker.

As it stands we need to sign someone who can replace the 6 goal striker Broja, that is the reality of the situation.

I totally agree with you about signing experience

2 friendlies and it is..... on 12:05 - Jul 21 with 1106 viewsDorsetIan

2 friendlies and it is..... on 11:32 - Jul 21 by SaintNick

I do moan and go on about where we are deficient in the side, however what I don't do is claim that we are destined for relegation if we havent signed a striker two weeks before the season has started.

The stats last season dont support the fact that if you don't score goals you go down, we barely scored a goal a game yet stayed up, football is not an exact science.

Why would the friendlies remind anyone of what we saw last season, I can't remember any league game where we basically changed the entire side at half time !

No one is saying that the club do not need criticising, as you say I have been saying it for years, but what we have to stop is this constant doom and gloom prophesising all the time.

As it stands at the moment, we have a stronger squad, players come in in goal, centre of defence, centre of midfield, now all we need is a striker.

As it stands we need to sign someone who can replace the 6 goal striker Broja, that is the reality of the situation.

I totally agree with you about signing experience

By what convoluted logic is all that we need a 6-goal-a-season striker??

Last season, like the one before it was, for long long spells, sh!t.

2 friendlies and it is..... on 12:19 - Jul 21 with 1104 viewsSaintNick

2 friendlies and it is..... on 12:05 - Jul 21 by DorsetIan

By what convoluted logic is all that we need a 6-goal-a-season striker??

Last season, like the one before it was, for long long spells, sh!t.

I didn't say all we needed was 6 goal a season striker, my point was that we get a striker that scores more than that and we are a stronger squad than last season up front.

People conveniently forget that for a long spell in each of the last three seasons we have also been very good.

2 friendlies and it is..... on 13:24 - Jul 21 with 1078 viewssaints__fan__73

2 friendlies and it is..... on 12:19 - Jul 21 by SaintNick

I didn't say all we needed was 6 goal a season striker, my point was that we get a striker that scores more than that and we are a stronger squad than last season up front.

People conveniently forget that for a long spell in each of the last three seasons we have also been very good.

It ends to co-incide with the yellow ball being used.

2 friendlies and it is..... on 13:44 - Jul 21 with 1049 viewsDorsetIan

If we get a striker that is better than Broja, we'll be stronger up front. He was more than just 6 goals - he always gave he defenders something to worry about.

2 friendlies and it is..... on 13:46 - Jul 21 with 1046 viewsDorsetIan

A 'long spell' is pushing it.

I'd agree with 'a spell'.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024