Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
My take on my first trip to Spurs 09:42 - Aug 7 with 1039 viewsA1079

For what it is worth, here is my take on the game yesterday and my first experience of a trip to the Tottenham stadium. I have not seen the highlights and often you see things on TV that you don't see from a stand where you struggle to see the far end of the pitch.

Nick called this game a free hit - a scenario I hate because no matter who you are no game should be a free hit otherwise you may as well not bother turning up - well at the end of the game that is how I largely felt - why did I bother because from a Saints perspective I saw nothing new and the same frustrations as the final third of the last season.

For 15 minutes we were looked reasonably good (though warning signs had been there) and there were patches of our play which were not bad - but reasonably good for 15 minutes and an odd patch of good play is never going to cut it at PL level - arguably not at any level.

The JWP goal was well taken and in truth before Spurs equalised we should have been 2-0 up. Therein lies the start of the decline in the game. From what should have been 2-0 to us within seconds Spurs had equalised and not that long after they had taken the lead and could/should have been 3-1 to Spurs by half time.

The 2nd half apart from a few patches we were never really in it and it was not long before Spurs got their 3rd and which was then followed by 4th shortly after. It could have been 5 or 6 in a spell but they seemed to accept the 4-1.

Spurs were everything we were not. They were patient - knowing we would lose the ball and give it away and once they had the ball, they were fast, effective and clinical moving from the back to the front with speed and efficiency with pin point passing and accurate delivery. When they did not have the ball they all moved into position filling their midfield and defence working for each other. Yes, they have quality and quality in depth, yes they have spent more money than us but they were not perfect and a good opposition could have exposed their moments especially in the first half of the first half when we should have extended our lead but better teams would have done.

What of us? This is where I am exhausted because I fear I am just saying the same as last year because fundamentally nothing appears to have changed:-

- we can't defend;
- we are absolutely toothless up front;
- our full back position with Djenepo was hopelessly exposed - Djenepo worked hard and no one could fault his effort but I really have no idea where his strength lies as it sure as hell is not at that position;
- we again lose a game from a winning position (though none of us expected us to keep a lead against Spurs);
- 4th season under Ralph where we have failed to win a first game;
- when we lose, we don't just lose we lose badly and it becomes an abacus of how many goals we will concede in how many minutes;
- we had plenty of midfield players but yesterday in the 2nd half they offered no protection to our defence. At times Spurs cut through it like a knife through melting butter in the heat;
- some sound performances - Bazuna generally ok, Lavia put in a good shift and Aribo had some moments though he did seem to disappear as the game wore on. Diallo when he came on - in a game which was already lost did not offer much - he needs to step up when he gets the chance;
- a player who has not scored for 3 years gets a goal against us - how many times does that happen?;

I suppose it was not that we lost (as I had predicted a 5-1 defeat) and everyone around seemed to predict a defeat - that in itself is a sad reflection because that shows the lack of belief and confidence in the squad, management, team - it is the fact that nothing has really changed - the style of play, the frailties at the back, the toothlessness up front, lack of physical metal and lack of mental attitude and strength - when we go behind you just know we probably aren't going to change the outcome - we rarely do, the 5 subs showed yesterday that it will not change anything for us or teams like us - the good teams can replace quality with quality teams like us have just more of the same.

I know all the arguments will be that this was only the first game - it does not mean much, that it was Spurs, that we often start slowly and that it does not define our season - I get that and hopefully when we play teams with less quality than Spurs we can be better than them but we have to have someone that can punish teams when the chance arises and at the moment we don't. If we think the likes of Fulham, Bournemouth, Brentford etc are our way out of a relegation fight we can forget it. They aren't going to lay down for us.

It is odd saying it this early, but really Leeds next week is kind of key. A strong performance in all areas of the team are a must irrespective of the result.

Of the Tottenham stadium - yes impressive from the outside but from where I was sitting/standing the view was not that great and I was surprised how exposed you are to the elements. Yesterday it was a burning sun but I would imagine unless you are at the back you probably do not stay dry either in a downpour. The concourse was surprisingly tight. Entry seemed relatively well managed if not a little over the top.

My take on my first trip to Spurs on 09:57 - Aug 7 with 999 viewsStAnt

Good post and you make a great case for sacking the manager today which is what I believe SR should do. Lance the boil because this football club has been in free-fall for too long. Ralph had the summer backed by new coaches and new players and could only manage to come up with that horror show which felt like a recurring nightmare that we've all seen too many times now. He won't suddenly get this team performing and winning football matches so to keep him on is just prolonging the agony and delaying the inevitable. All that does is waste games that we might have won. Also, it will leave us playing catch up and some prospective new managers might not want to come in under those circumstances - give a new guy a chance but don't expect him to clear up Ralph's shit.
My take on my first trip to Spurs on 10:00 - Aug 7 with 990 viewsRon11

When I saw Djenepo at left back and Perraud on the bench I was not surprised, this has become the norm from Hassenhutl, bizarre selections, tactics and substitutions.
We need a new manager asap.
My take on my first trip to Spurs on 10:36 - Aug 7 with 924 viewsPatfromPoole

Hassenhutl ticks quite a lot of boxes for what you would ideally want from a Saints manager.

However, the more I see of him, the more he is reminding me of the dreaded Redknapp in our first relegation season.

Little spark, and a look of resignation which will feed through to the players. He is also starting to make Redknapp-like noises about the players not being good enough.

Now, he may well be right, but give players an inch and they will take a mile. And it just becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.

I’ve said it a few times but this is death by a thousand cuts.

Poll: If we win a play-off semi at St. Mary’s should there be a pitch invasion?

My take on my first trip to Spurs on 11:51 - Aug 7 with 823 viewsfelly1

Thanks A1079, that was a pretty good summary of yesterday.
The Leeds game now feels massive.
If we perform poorly and sadly I suspect this will be the case. Then Ralph will be staring down the barrel.
Theres such an air of defeatism, predictability now.
The players, the fans and now Ralph looks like he's facing upto our grim reality.
Last year when we were at our best we had a strong spine. Salisu playing brilliantly, JWP and Romeu were dominant in the midfield and actually had a real threat up front with Broja.
It's all gone now.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024