Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Saturday's Game ? 19:00 - Sep 8 with 27769 viewsconnell10

I presume all football games will be cancelled on Saturday.

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

Saturday's Game ? on 21:42 - Sep 8 with 3325 viewsgobbles

Play the game, life goes on. I can understand not having a fixture up against the funeral, but why cancel everything for a week?
Fans lose money, people lose work, personally I don't think it's the climate for that. Have a two-minute silence, sing the national anthem, she was 96, no point being mawkish about it.
Saturday's Game ? on 21:50 - Sep 8 with 3272 viewsWirralHoop

Saturday's Game ? on 20:25 - Sep 8 by Toast_R

Not saying its right or wrong, but if you were a Huddersfiedl fan and paid a stupid amount of money for a train ticket and all the rest of it, not sure you'd be too happy about it.

Not just Huddersfield fans I’ve paid £80 +

Just have to live with it being a unique time in our history.
Saturday's Game ? on 22:00 - Sep 8 with 3187 viewsgobbles

Saturday's Game ? on 21:50 - Sep 8 by WirralHoop

Not just Huddersfield fans I’ve paid £80 +

Just have to live with it being a unique time in our history.

Nuts to that. What's next? Do you close all theatres for a week? Concerts? Pubs and restaurants? Places are on such tight margins right now, that could put them out of business
[Post edited 8 Sep 2022 22:01]
Saturday's Game ? on 22:08 - Sep 8 with 3127 viewsconnell10

Positive we get extra training and our players get a rest, it's all I got !!!

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

Saturday's Game ? on 22:23 - Sep 8 with 3030 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

I guess the problem will be policing and stewarding. I think they could probably do Saturday's game though. As has been said it's a great way to pay respects.

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Saturday's Game ? on 22:37 - Sep 8 with 2928 viewsdavman

Saturday's Game ? on 22:23 - Sep 8 by CliveWilsonSaid

I guess the problem will be policing and stewarding. I think they could probably do Saturday's game though. As has been said it's a great way to pay respects.

You want to pay respect then I think that the body will be laid in state for the masses to come and pay their respects - three / four days 24 hours a day.

I get that it is a once in a generational thing and that she ruled with great, great distinction, but respect does not need to stop life - this place is hard enough as it is and we could do without enforced "reflection time".

Sad, sad day today though...

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

Saturday's Game ? on 22:45 - Sep 8 with 2886 viewsessextaxiboy

Saturday's Game ? on 22:37 - Sep 8 by davman

You want to pay respect then I think that the body will be laid in state for the masses to come and pay their respects - three / four days 24 hours a day.

I get that it is a once in a generational thing and that she ruled with great, great distinction, but respect does not need to stop life - this place is hard enough as it is and we could do without enforced "reflection time".

Young Taxiboy flew in from Zurich this evening for Saturdays game and Wentworth on Sunday . Both in doubt now
[Post edited 8 Sep 2022 22:50]
Saturday's Game ? on 22:58 - Sep 8 with 2806 viewsgobbles

Theatres staying open, why not football?

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/lifestyle/arts/queens-death-west-end-u-k-theat
Login to get fewer ads

Saturday's Game ? on 23:03 - Sep 8 with 2777 views81A

Saturday's Game ? on 22:58 - Sep 8 by gobbles

Theatres staying open, why not football?

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/lifestyle/arts/queens-death-west-end-u-k-theat

What I'm a little confused about is that, sad though it is, plans have been in place for years for when "London Bridge" is down, which you would expect to have gone to the nth level.of detail for how the country would move through the mourning period. So why not just enact it and tell us all ?
Saturday's Game ? on 23:04 - Sep 8 with 2773 viewsacricketer

Saturday's Game ? on 23:11 - Sep 8 with 2731 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Saturday's Game ? on 22:37 - Sep 8 by davman

I think the laid in state part would be next week, from what I read earlier.

Not bothered about going to that myself.

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Saturday's Game ? on 23:27 - Sep 8 with 2656 viewsOakR

I'd prefer the matches to go ahead myself, and think you'd see a huge mark if respect at each game and a rendition of God Save the Queen sung like at no other time.

If they are postponed I understand it, just think it would be better allround for them to go ahead.

Poll: Will we stay up?

Saturday's Game ? on 23:34 - Sep 8 with 2636 viewsgolborne

Saturday's Game ? on 21:30 - Sep 8 by BAWHoops

State Funeral would be next Saturday, so looks like next 3 games will be off (and then a 2 week international break)

Country is full of sh##
We either completely stop, or we carry on as far as I’m concerned.
Virtually every other country in Europe would stop tomorrow. Not us, we cancel all the
Fun things and hold a state funeral over the weekend, so the common folk don’t take their foot
Off the gas.

go mourn in your own time - not ours. It’s pathetic…
Saturday's Game ? on 23:55 - Sep 8 with 2559 viewsHaslingtonR

King George VI died on 6th February 1952.
A full football programme was played on Saturday 9th February 1952.

https://www.soccerbase.com/matches/results.sd?date=1952-02-09
Saturday's Game ? (n/t) on 00:52 - Sep 9 with 2443 viewsLoftgirl

[Post edited 9 Sep 2022 0:58]
Saturday's Game ? on 07:03 - Sep 9 with 2177 viewsWilkinswatercarrier

Saturday's Game ? on 23:03 - Sep 8 by 81A

What I'm a little confused about is that, sad though it is, plans have been in place for years for when "London Bridge" is down, which you would expect to have gone to the nth level.of detail for how the country would move through the mourning period. So why not just enact it and tell us all ?

Nothing can happen until the King approves it from now on. So although the plans have been in place for years every step has to be signed off by him now. He is not officially the monarch until the day after the Queen died.
I think we find out this morning if the games go ahead.
Saturday's Game ? on 07:13 - Sep 9 with 2162 viewsTGRRRSSS

They won't be cancelling work for most of us next week and as stated the funeral is on Saturday (Contrary to what someone aid to me at about 3pm yesterday afternoon)

I see the TV is going into overdrive, no doubt all media will be but come Monday morning I expect to be at work.

I imagine most people will be today also, typically I've got a day off today.
Saturday's Game ? on 07:16 - Sep 9 with 2146 viewsSharpediver

For those of us that are most definitely NOT royalists (in fact I regard them and the Tory Gangs that run this country as no better than a mafia), the next few days are going to be utterly tedious watching this stuff take over the media completely.

It's funny how we laugh at North
Korea but at times like this Britian looks exactly like it.
Of course the football should go ahead this weekend and next week.
[Post edited 9 Sep 2022 7:45]
Saturday's Game ? on 07:38 - Sep 9 with 2065 viewsPunteR

Saturday's Game ? on 07:16 - Sep 9 by Sharpediver

For those of us that are most definitely NOT royalists (in fact I regard them and the Tory Gangs that run this country as no better than a mafia), the next few days are going to be utterly tedious watching this stuff take over the media completely.

It's funny how we laugh at North
Korea but at times like this Britian looks exactly like it.
Of course the football should go ahead this weekend and next week.
[Post edited 9 Sep 2022 7:45]

North Korea is a bit of an exaggeration mate.

On the cancellation of the football, I do think its a bit of contradiction to what the Queen seemed to uphold, which was the british stif upper lip, show must go on , hard work etc etc.

The funeral however I think it's reasonable to expect the country to stop and pay its respects.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Saturday's Game ? on 08:20 - Sep 9 with 1936 viewsBAWHoops

They'll cancel the games purely out of fear for doing the wrong thing.

Just not worth it for them to feel the wrath of the Daily Mail and Kevin from Shropshire about the disrespect shown towards The Queen

The football quite obviously shouldn't be cancelled. There's a funeral next weekend (Sunday?) which should be the time to reflect etc

http://blogandwhitehoops.wordpress.com/

Saturday's Game ? on 08:28 - Sep 9 with 1898 viewsLoftgirl

Saturday's Game ? on 08:20 - Sep 9 by BAWHoops

Just not worth it for them to feel the wrath of the Daily Mail and Kevin from Shropshire about the disrespect shown towards The Queen

The football quite obviously shouldn't be cancelled. There's a funeral next weekend (Sunday?) which should be the time to reflect etc

Hopefully, they will postpone the games at the most, not cancel them altogether.
Saturday's Game ? on 08:36 - Sep 9 with 1852 viewsjohnhoop

Saturday's Game ? on 08:28 - Sep 9 by Loftgirl

Hopefully, they will postpone the games at the most, not cancel them altogether.

I think that the idea is to postpone the fixtures but that could well cause major problems in a season where the games are already crammed together to accommodate what’s taking place in Qatar in November.
Saturday's Game ? on 08:42 - Sep 9 with 1809 viewsrobith

Saturday's Game ? on 08:20 - Sep 9 by BAWHoops

Yeah this.

She was Queen forever, so no one has any real precedent of what to do. I imagine a lot of people and organisations would rather get a cancellation wrong than go ahead and appear disrespectful
Saturday's Game ? on 08:53 - Sep 9 with 1744 viewsDannytheR

Saturday's Game ? on 08:42 - Sep 9 by robith

Yeah this.

She was Queen forever, so no one has any real precedent of what to do. I imagine a lot of people and organisations would rather get a cancellation wrong than go ahead and appear disrespectful

Agreed. I had a work thing cancelled at the absolute last minute last night after the news broke - no connection to anything even vaguely to do with royalty, people had already travelled for it etc, but the organisers felt it wouldn't be appropriate to carry on.

Can't blame them - as you say, they had no idea what to do, but were clearly terrified someone somewhere would have a go at them for getting it wrong and being disrespectful, so pulled the plug.

Be very surprised if the game goes ahead tomorrow.
Saturday's Game ? on 09:14 - Sep 9 with 1629 viewsTopCat34

Not a big royalist, but I imagine they'll be cancelled and everyone will be fine.

Midweek games will probably still go ahead, English teams play in the Champions League in the week and I reckon it would be very difficult to get those games off.
[Post edited 9 Sep 2022 9:15]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024