Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Saturday's Game ? 19:00 - Sep 8 with 27752 viewsconnell10

I presume all football games will be cancelled on Saturday.

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

Saturday's Game ? on 17:16 - Sep 9 with 2396 viewsRanger_Things

Saturday's Game ? on 16:12 - Sep 9 by BasingstokeR

It can’t be that can it
Problem: Some Liverpool fans might cause some embarrassment at a game this weekend
Answer: call off all levels of football for the whole weekend nationwide from adult down to u7?

I think they may have been scared of a backlash from the Daily Mail and co. Ridiculous decision in any case.
Saturday's Game ? on 17:28 - Sep 9 with 2326 viewsjoe90

Saturday's Game ? on 17:11 - Sep 9 by QPRcounsellor

Safety and over cautious culture based on worst case scenarios, killing the pleasure of life these days. They are going to face this scenario at some point so why not tomorrow? And as others have mentioned, 7 year old football cancelled too. Makes sense.
[Post edited 9 Sep 2022 17:13]

I can only speculate as to why the decision was made.

Football fans tend to push the boundaries of public decency and I guess the Queen is the line in the sand.

They’re unlikely to change the decision, so you’re probably best of accepting it and moving on.
Saturday's Game ? on 17:30 - Sep 9 with 2319 viewsdaveB

Saturday's Game ? on 17:08 - Sep 9 by joe90

When you’ve had Liverpool fans booing the anthem and the Shamrock Rovers fans singing songs about the Queen which will probably inspire Celtic fans, I can see why the football authorities didn’t want to risk it. You don’t really have the same problem in other sports.

It’s actually really not a big deal moving a game, sky do it all the time and at least this is for a major event.

Doesn’t matter what you think of the Queen or what you think the Queen would have wanted, because this is the what’s happening.

Whenever we play again there will be a minutes silence and the Liverpool fans will boo so I doubt that was a consideration.

The leaders of football love a token gesture, they assumed everyone would follow but now they look daft.

We're even back to normal tv programmes tomorrow night so people angry about non stop news can now get angry at the Masked Dancer instead
Saturday's Game ? on 17:34 - Sep 9 with 2294 viewsQPRcounsellor

Saturday's Game ? on 17:28 - Sep 9 by joe90

I can only speculate as to why the decision was made.

Football fans tend to push the boundaries of public decency and I guess the Queen is the line in the sand.

They’re unlikely to change the decision, so you’re probably best of accepting it and moving on.

Give me a few more hours of venting, then I make you right.
Saturday's Game ? on 17:35 - Sep 9 with 2287 viewsdachiltern

Firstly, football has been postponed and not cancelled.

Secondly, expect a decision reached allowing for the foul mouth rants expected from players and supporters alike which have no place in current proceedings.

Thirdly, rant over.
Saturday's Game ? on 17:38 - Sep 9 with 2273 viewsjoe90

Saturday's Game ? on 17:15 - Sep 9 by nix

'It''s actually really not a big deal moving a game, sky do it all the time and at least this is for a major event. '

It might not be a big deal for you but it is for the people who might be coming a long distance by train and have bought tickets and paid for hotels. And it's a big deal for me as it's not going to be my birthday when the match is rearranged and my family won't be able to come as they won't be around.

The fact that Sky also do it, doesn't make it any better. If anything it's another kick in the teeth for the people who've spent cash they can't recoup.

I don’t mean to sound harsh, but the death of the Queen is a bigger deal than you missing a football match on your birthday. I know it doesn’t feel that way, but that is how it is. That’s the country we live in.

My wife has been fuming about the response, I’ve had it in the ear all day. I get peoples frustration, but what are we going to do about it?
Saturday's Game ? on 17:42 - Sep 9 with 2234 viewsdaveB

Saturday's Game ? on 17:35 - Sep 9 by dachiltern

Secondly, expect a decision reached allowing for the foul mouth rants expected from players and supporters alike which have no place in current proceedings.

Thirdly, rant over.

I know it will be replayed but it's been cancelled this weekend as there are no games.

Think full football stadiums singing national anthem would have been fantastic, real shame they passed up that opportunity
Saturday's Game ? on 18:07 - Sep 9 with 2131 viewsRanger_Things

Saturday's Game ? on 17:30 - Sep 9 by daveB

Whenever we play again there will be a minutes silence and the Liverpool fans will boo so I doubt that was a consideration.

The leaders of football love a token gesture, they assumed everyone would follow but now they look daft.

We're even back to normal tv programmes tomorrow night so people angry about non stop news can now get angry at the Masked Dancer instead

FFS, another day! Thank f uck for streaming services.
Login to get fewer ads

Saturday's Game ? on 18:13 - Sep 9 with 2112 viewsMichael_Hunt

Saturday's Game ? on 17:38 - Sep 9 by joe90

I don’t mean to sound harsh, but the death of the Queen is a bigger deal than you missing a football match on your birthday. I know it doesn’t feel that way, but that is how it is. That’s the country we live in.

My wife has been fuming about the response, I’ve had it in the ear all day. I get peoples frustration, but what are we going to do about it?

Well said.
Sometimes events are bigger than the individual and this is just such a time.
It disappoints me to read some posts on here where “it’s all about me”.
Sadly this reflects society today; little respect for authority, elders and others, values that were drummed into me by my mother and that have served me well throughout my life.
It’s a football match versus a significant historical event and whether you are a royalist, republican or meh, that lady gave her everything to this country, performing her duties right up to the very end.

God Rest Her.
Saturday's Game ? on 18:17 - Sep 9 with 2086 viewsBklynRanger

Thirdly, rant over.

Your thirdly isn't really a thirdly but great belief in your fellow citizens anyway. Cancel the lot because you fear a few loons, that's the spirit.
Saturday's Game ? on 18:45 - Sep 9 with 1999 viewsBasingstokeR

Thirdly, rant over.

Professional football will be *postponements* with rescheduling (if you’re not considering the people who’ll be financially out of pocket because of this decision during a cost of living crisis)

But they’ve cancelled *all* FA affiliated football including grassroots nationwide this weekend!
Some of this *might* get rescheduled but I’d wager the majority is just completely cancelled.
Saturday's Game ? on 18:57 - Sep 9 with 1968 viewsQPR_John

Saturday's Game ? on 18:13 - Sep 9 by Michael_Hunt

Well said.
Sadly this reflects society today; little respect for authority, elders and others, values that were drummed into me by my mother and that have served me well throughout my life.
It’s a football match versus a significant historical event and whether you are a royalist, republican or meh, that lady gave her everything to this country, performing her duties right up to the very end.

God Rest Her.

Nobody is saying there should not be respect but maybe allowing the games to be played with supporters in the grounds showing respect is a better way.
Saturday's Game ? on 19:05 - Sep 9 with 1936 viewsWatford_Ranger

Well said.

God Rest Her.

Don’t care. Load of sycophantic old bollocks when I just want to see us draw 1-1 with Huddersfield.
Saturday's Game ? on 19:06 - Sep 9 with 1932 viewsdaveB

Saturday's Game ? on 18:07 - Sep 9 by Ranger_Things

FFS, another day! Thank f uck for streaming services.

I only know about ITV, no idea what the other channels are doing
Saturday's Game ? on 19:31 - Sep 9 with 1838 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Saturday's Game ? on 19:06 - Sep 9 by daveB

I only know about ITV, no idea what the other channels are doing

Joe Lycett - Live at the Apollo theatre might not be on the BBC scheduling for a while

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Saturday's Game ? on 19:34 - Sep 9 with 1821 viewsHayesender

No disrespect meant, but I'm done in already.

I'm gonna find a pub with no TV, and sit in there all day tomorrow

Poll: Shamima Beghum

Saturday's Game ? on 19:36 - Sep 9 with 1814 viewsgobbles

Well said.

God Rest Her.

The historical event is the funeral. No one will be playing that day. Cancelling sport nine days before is utterly pointless and football looks daft.
If you want to stay at home and watch the rolling 24-hour grief on TV, that's up to you. Why not shut theatres and cinemas? Why not restaurants and pubs? Why are shops still open, or maybe as a mark of respect I should go to Westfield tomorrow.
Personally I am glad my kids' teachers didn't decide to take the day off work as a "mark of respect".
[Post edited 9 Sep 2022 19:52]
Saturday's Game ? on 20:14 - Sep 9 with 1686 viewstraininvain

Saturday's Game ? on 19:36 - Sep 9 by gobbles

The historical event is the funeral. No one will be playing that day. Cancelling sport nine days before is utterly pointless and football looks daft.
If you want to stay at home and watch the rolling 24-hour grief on TV, that's up to you. Why not shut theatres and cinemas? Why not restaurants and pubs? Why are shops still open, or maybe as a mark of respect I should go to Westfield tomorrow.
Personally I am glad my kids' teachers didn't decide to take the day off work as a "mark of respect".
[Post edited 9 Sep 2022 19:52]

Agreed. It’s obviously a sad event. But why the need to force people to mourn by postponing football etc. If people want to get on with life then leave them to it.

Others sports are going ahead on the basis that it will give people an opportunity to get together and celebrate the Queen’s life, if they wish. Why has football been considered an exception.
[Post edited 9 Sep 2022 20:15]
Saturday's Game ? on 02:59 - Sep 10 with 1449 viewsnix

Saturday's Game ? on 17:38 - Sep 9 by joe90

Sorry but it's not for me. It might be for you. I would be more than happy to pay my respects at the game. Now it's just put my back up, so it's worked against the whole point of the mourning.

I also doubt it is any consolation for all those people who have wasted all that money.

I could completely understand if it was the actual day of the funeral or the day of her death, but no, I don't believe it's right to close the country down for ten days. We've just had enough of it so soon after lockdown. It's also those people on zero hours contracts that lose out who are already living a hand to mouth existence.

I don't think we can do anything about it, obviously, but I can say I don't think it's right.
Saturday's Game ? on 07:09 - Sep 10 with 1301 viewsTGRRRSSS

Anyone think that the police asked them to do so? Especially in London for instance?

Otherwise I can see no earthly reason we needed to cancel, especially this season with the season being how it is anyway with the break for the world cup.
Saturday's Game ? on 07:23 - Sep 10 with 1276 viewstraininvain

There’s now talk about having to postpone next weekend’s games as well. What a mess the football league and Premiership have made of this situation.

It’s going to create a lot more resentment towards the royal family so it’s completely counterproductive.
Saturday's Game ? on 07:24 - Sep 10 with 1266 viewsTGRRRSSS

The funeral should not be on Saturday!

Deliberate so they don't have to do what's affectively a bank holiday (cant let banks suffer you know)
Saturday's Game ? on 07:52 - Sep 10 with 1237 viewstraininvain

Saturday's Game ? on 07:24 - Sep 10 by TGRRRSSS

The funeral should not be on Saturday!

Deliberate so they don't have to do what's affectively a bank holiday (cant let banks suffer you know)

The funeral is expected to be Monday 19th September so it’s not even on the day of most the games next weekend. But policing and logistical issues are now expected to mean more postponements according to this: https://www.theguardian.com/football/2022/sep/09/premier-league-clubs-fear-more-

Apparently the football decision makers were unable to foresee this situation when they made the decision yesterday to postpone this weekend’s games despite it being blatantly obvious.
Saturday's Game ? on 08:58 - Sep 10 with 1125 viewssprocket

What a out midweek matches?
Saturday's Game ? on 09:09 - Sep 10 with 1104 viewsessextaxiboy

Saturday's Game ? on 08:58 - Sep 10 by sprocket

What a out midweek matches?

The Queen was 96 , you would think that the football authorities would have made discreet plans for this sad time and released them at respectful time .
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024