Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Live Gigs you didn't want to go to... 16:36 - Sep 24 with 10342 viewsDiscodroids

Going to see Kim Wilde tonight in Westcliff, Southend . I literally have less than zero interest in going but promised 'er indoors i would go when the tickets were booked back in December.

I know two of her records. 'kids in America' and 'Cambodia'. I've had a face on like Nelly pledge all afternoon. Bollocks.

As a Beacon of Hope, has anyone been to a gig they were dreading but turned out ok?

The closest i can recall was being made to see Howard Jones 5 years ago. It turned out ok as i got him mixed up with Thomas Dolby.
[Post edited 24 Sep 2022 16:56]

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

Live Gigs you didn't want to go to... on 00:48 - Sep 25 with 2295 viewsbob566

Johnny rottens PIL in Dublin. Small venue. Should have been great. He just kept bigging up a dj set he was playing later in a club in Dublin. Didn't give a toss about the PIL gig
Live Gigs you didn't want to go to... on 01:02 - Sep 25 with 2285 viewsE17hoop

Keane (remember them?) at the Astoria. Mrs wanted to go and I spent the whole time at the bar, arms crossed. Shït.

It's always noisiest at the shallow end
Poll: Championship Playoffs - who's going up?

Live Gigs you didn't want to go to... on 02:34 - Sep 25 with 2207 viewsSydneyRs

Back in the 90s went with an ex GF to see Shakespeare's Sister. Wasn't at all keen.

Ended up really enjoying it as they were very good.
Live Gigs you didn't want to go to... on 08:23 - Sep 25 with 2122 viewsStanisgod

I went last night as well, thought she was superb, great voice and still looks good in those jeans at 62.

It's being so happy that keeps me going.

Live Gigs you didn't want to go to... on 08:47 - Sep 25 with 2101 viewsstowmarketrange

Wet wet wet with the Mrs about 30 years ago.We we’re 4 rows from the front.I stayed for 1 song and then went to the bar for the rest of the gig.
Also Simpley Red at Wembley stadium was pretty sh@t too and I couldn’t wait for the ginger tw At to stop.
Not once has she ever come to an Iron Maiden concert with me though.The things we do for love.
Live Gigs you didn't want to go to... on 09:00 - Sep 25 with 2084 viewsMick_S

Live Gigs you didn't want to go to... on 23:20 - Sep 24 by CliveWilsonSaid

Can we not get you up to an 8?

Nice foliage.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Live Gigs you didn't want to go to... on 09:13 - Sep 25 with 2069 viewsdmm

For the wifey's birthday I got tickets to see Karl Jenkins at the Albert Hall - one of her favs but definitely not mine. It turned it clashed with the play off semi final against Wigan. I spent the entire concert following the game on my phone and no doubt pissed off those around me, though the wifey was quite oblivious. She thoroughly enjoyed the concert but couldn't quite understand my joyous demeanor as we left.
Live Gigs you didn't want to go to... on 09:22 - Sep 25 with 2059 viewsPunteR

Live Gigs you didn't want to go to... on 00:29 - Sep 25 by nix

It's a toss up between this and Clannad. I think you just about win because Ted only had to sit through the first half.

I think Ted wins on the basis I bought the Blue tickets.. ! I've only got myself to blame.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Login to get fewer ads

Live Gigs you didn't want to go to... on 09:27 - Sep 25 with 2040 viewsR_from_afar

Glad you found the gig tolerable in the end.

I was actually going to give a Howard Jones gig as an example of a gig I didn't want to go to but ended up enjoying.

I liked his early stuff but the gig I went to was years later, I had lost touch with and interest in his music plus my own musical tastes had changed a lot, but I went along because friends I was due to visit wanted to go to his gig during my stay with them.

All the music was fine, some of it good even, and his playing was excellent plus he had a great rapport with the crowd.

At one point, he gave the audience the choice of whether he played the next song as an electronic version, with all the sequencers, drum machines and backing tracks (he was performing solo) or acoustically. The crowd called out for the acoustic version so he bashed it out on the piano. I thought that was class.

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Live Gigs you didn't want to go to... on 10:48 - Sep 25 with 1982 viewsMick_S

Live Gigs you didn't want to go to... on 09:13 - Sep 25 by dmm

For the wifey's birthday I got tickets to see Karl Jenkins at the Albert Hall - one of her favs but definitely not mine. It turned it clashed with the play off semi final against Wigan. I spent the entire concert following the game on my phone and no doubt pissed off those around me, though the wifey was quite oblivious. She thoroughly enjoyed the concert but couldn't quite understand my joyous demeanor as we left.

You win.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Live Gigs you didn't want to go to... on 11:54 - Sep 25 with 1923 viewsSonofpugwash

Genesis.
Some godawful sports hall near Whipsnade Zoo.
Got to meet Arthur Brown though and helped Genesis load up their amps and cabs...

Poll: Dykes - love him or hate him?

Live Gigs you didn't want to go to... on 12:08 - Sep 25 with 1904 viewsQPRSteve

Live Gigs you didn't want to go to... on 11:54 - Sep 25 by Sonofpugwash

Genesis.
Some godawful sports hall near Whipsnade Zoo.
Got to meet Arthur Brown though and helped Genesis load up their amps and cabs...

Couldn't' stand Genesis, but I envy you meeting Arthur Brown. Still going strong at 80.
Live Gigs you didn't want to go to... on 12:28 - Sep 25 with 1873 viewsBlackCrowe

M fcking People at Wembley Arena late 90s....dreadful banal slop for the masses.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Live Gigs you didn't want to go to... on 14:04 - Sep 25 with 1801 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Amberian Dawn at Islington with Heidi and the classic line up, they were amazing. It was a 6 band night (Tristania, Van Canto, Serenity, Xandria and Amberian Dawn) and cos I had a t on everyone was asking me 'Who the feck are they they are briliant.'
Cut to 6 years later the band leader gets rid of everyone and has a re-brand.

I go to see then at the Boston arms Music Room (The basement of the dome for those over 30) thinking ok I'll have a listen me and the girl I was with left after 4 songs they were fekin awful generic rubbish. Maybe the old track sounded better but I was long gone.

How to shoot yourself in the foot with a 8.8 cm Flak 18/36/37/41

[Post edited 25 Sep 2022 14:05]

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Live Gigs you didn't want to go to... on 14:12 - Sep 25 with 1785 viewsSonofpugwash

Live Gigs you didn't want to go to... on 12:08 - Sep 25 by QPRSteve

Couldn't' stand Genesis, but I envy you meeting Arthur Brown. Still going strong at 80.

Best part of the evening was I bumped into a really nice groupie called Kate.

Poll: Dykes - love him or hate him?

Live Gigs you didn't want to go to... on 18:35 - Sep 25 with 1685 viewslondonscottish

I went to one of those Hyde Park summer outdoors things a few years ago. Wasn't keen but my wife and a bunch of mates were The main band was Duran Duran and I was dreading it.

Turned out they'd spent the previous 20 years learning how to actually play proper instruments live and ditching all the horrible synth pop noises.

They were surprisingly good.

Poll: Do you love or hate the new Marmite ad?

Live Gigs you didn't want to go to... on 19:10 - Sep 25 with 1645 viewsloftboy

Live Gigs you didn't want to go to... on 01:02 - Sep 25 by E17hoop

Keane (remember them?) at the Astoria. Mrs wanted to go and I spent the whole time at the bar, arms crossed. Shït.

I saw them at the opening of the new Hard Rock Cafe in Piccadilly Circus (mrs won tickets off absolute radio) thought they were quite good.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Live Gigs you didn't want to go to... on 19:11 - Sep 25 with 1644 viewsBlackCrowe

Live Gigs you didn't want to go to... on 18:35 - Sep 25 by londonscottish

I went to one of those Hyde Park summer outdoors things a few years ago. Wasn't keen but my wife and a bunch of mates were The main band was Duran Duran and I was dreading it.

Turned out they'd spent the previous 20 years learning how to actually play proper instruments live and ditching all the horrible synth pop noises.

They were surprisingly good.

I reluctantly went to Duran hyde park this summer with my wife as a concession to see the Stones on the previous two weekends. Imagine my surprise when i noticed my foot tapping. I enjoyed it. There i said it.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Live Gigs you didn't want to go to... on 20:09 - Sep 25 with 1588 viewsJuzzie

Chris de Burgh, late 80’s with then girlfriend who was a fan and dragged me along.
I anticipated a couple of hours of gouging my own eyes and ears out but it wasn’t that bad y’know.

Went to see Spin Doctors as one of our bands, Cud, was the support. Spin Doctors were awful. Lead singer was like Catweazle on acid.
Live Gigs you didn't want to go to... on 21:52 - Sep 25 with 1538 viewsderbyhoop

Simply Red Farewell, or return tour. As always the support was suited and Hucknall could trot out most of the songs in his sleep. The band were purely for decoration.
Worst gig ever , but one I'd looked forward to. P J Harvey at Manchester Odeon. Other than the songs I don't think she said more than 12 words all night.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Live Gigs you didn't want to go to... on 17:13 - Sep 26 with 1302 viewsrobith

My first girlfriend loved a lot of very twee or insipid indie that hadn't quite let go or britpop nor embraced the crunch of the compression era. Mostly managed to swerve it live, but she made me go to see Haven at the Scala, and it was like water torture.

At Glastonbury one year I went to a Radiohead secret set, except it wasn't very secret. Was on the hill so far away all I could hear was dnb from the Rabbit Hole stage. Dejectedly left and my now wife made me go watch KE$HA in one of the dance tents. Stone me. I don't mind some pop but this was abject. Guy came out dressed like a dick dancing on stage while she sang "I'm not giving you a hand job". I pleaded to leave only for also to walk into Morrissey lecturing a deserted Pyramid stage field that they weren't clever enough to get his new record. From thinking I was going to see Radiohead to that in 90 minutes,. brutal
Live Gigs you didn't want to go to... on 17:27 - Sep 26 with 1288 viewsQPRSteve

One I'd almost forgotten. Country Joe McDonald, all he did was fücking swear all fücking night, the fücking wānker. I was deeply unimpressed.
Live Gigs you didn't want to go to... on 18:36 - Sep 26 with 1222 viewsdmm

Live Gigs you didn't want to go to... on 17:27 - Sep 26 by QPRSteve

One I'd almost forgotten. Country Joe McDonald, all he did was fücking swear all fücking night, the fücking wānker. I was deeply unimpressed.

But he was f***ing great at Woodstock.
Live Gigs you didn't want to go to... on 19:50 - Sep 26 with 1180 viewshubble

I really didn't want to go to Zodiac Mindwarp and the Love Reaction at the Town and Country club, circa 1987, but I really fancied the girl who invited me. I ended up enjoying the mad, funny gig, and the girl even more... :)

As a slight digression, this has made me think of bands I've seen with entertaining names and Gay Bikers on Acid supported by Leather Nun at the George, Hammersmith, springs to mind....

Poll: Who is your player of the season?

Live Gigs you didn't want to go to... on 20:40 - Sep 26 with 1162 viewsWokingR

Shawaddywaddy at the Civic Hall in Guildford about 30 years ago.
Turned out to be a great night
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024