Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
End of the pier show - match thread 15:34 - Oct 21 with 26410 viewsdachiltern

Never a believer in predictions but after the events of this week I'll go with a 3-0 scoreline.
End of the pier show - match thread on 17:30 - Oct 22 with 2802 viewsWilkinswatercarrier

On the way home. Poor performance all around, we looked disjointed from the first minute. Too many passes going astray and lost far to many individual duels. They were very physical and we seem to struggle with it, just like the Luton game.
Still, probably a game we would have lost last season, so I'll grab the 3 points.
Dykes my MotM, looks a different player under Beale.
End of the pier show - match thread on 17:39 - Oct 22 with 2668 viewsWegerles_Stairs

Didn't play well and won: the mark of a successful side.

Thought we were far too deep in the second half, rather than playing on the front foot.

Still, top of the league and winning without our star player. It's all good.
End of the pier show - match thread on 17:55 - Oct 22 with 2521 viewsWegerles_Stairs

End of the pier show - match thread on 16:56 - Oct 22 by BrianMcCarthy

Field takes it.

Bonne is offside!!!

That has to be seen to be believed.

That was very funny. Not sure how he managed it, but he did.....
End of the pier show - match thread on 17:57 - Oct 22 with 2526 viewsGreenbay

MATCH ANALYSIS
QPR 2 Wigan 1
The last four days have played with our emotions.
The highs and the lows have been like a switchback ride.
How low could we get on Wednesday afternoon as Beale - it seemed by all reports - that he was about to leave us.
Then the joy of beating Cardiff 3-0 just a few hours later.
It felt a hollow victory.
We were going to be managerless.
Everything that had been built so successfully for the last few months could come crashing down.
Our hopes destroyed.
But the joy of Thursday morning — Beale stays.
That was quickly followed by The Government collapsing again — Truss quits.
Now we’re going to have another Prime Minister.
Will it be Boris? He’s making a comeback. Oh.
Surely none of us can believe all this.
And then to matchday.
We start as if we are going to thrash Wigan at least 5-0.
The players were just brilliant — giving everything.
For 25 minutes we are all over them.
They can’t live with our pace.
They can’t live with us closing them down.
They can’t live with our slick passing and movement.
After all we are the Championship leaders.
Full marks to all - especially Chair and Dykes.
In fact we could name all 11 players — outstanding.
But where are we without Jojo? He’s back to his best. No doubt about it.
Two corners — two goals.
Take a bow our set piece coach Harry Watling.
The first from Field running into the box firmly striking the ball home in the 12th minute.
The second from Balogun with a bullet header midway through the half.
That was just 3 minutes after Broadhead had equalised following 3 successful Wigan headers inside our box.
Our defence — much improved - is still not perfect.
It’s a work in progress as I suppose is everything else.
MB says we are a long way from the finished article.
So there’s so much to look forward to as this squad improves.
The confidence was flowing through the team. They’re all uplifted.
By the way Balogun's goal was our 12th different scorer this season.
But just before HT Jojo aggravated a hamstring. He’s replaced.
This makes a big, big difference.
It’s largely Wigan — last year’s League 1 champions - in the second half.
We lost control.
From magic going forward — then to awkward defending.
Beale — a master magician — worth his weight in gold — switched the team midway through the half into a back 3 of sub Dickie along with starters Balogun and JCS .
All this combined with our two wingbacks Laird and Paal.
We regained some control but not enough.
A touch of panic maybe.
Shall we attack or shall we stay strong at the back?
Little time for adventure?
Only the goal post four minutes from time saved us from a Magennis header as it rattled off the woodwork and into Seny’s hands.
But we won. It was painstaking but we won - 3 more points — still top of the table on goal difference with Blackburn — having played one fewer match and a point clear of Burnley.
They bounced back from 2-0 down at Sunderland to win 3-2.
We now have 30 points from 16 games — that’s five ahead of our 25 from 16 last season.
The table doesn’t lie.
So 8 wins and a draw from our last 11 matches.
Impressive.
And continuing our fantasy - we have 5 more matches before the 4-week World Cup break.
That follows our match at Coventry on November 12.
By that time we would have played 21 Championship matches.
Last year we had 35 points at that stage.
That means we need another 5 points from those 5 matches to just equal that tally when we had a brilliant opening half to the season.
We will be well ahead of that total by the time the World Cup arrives — don’t you think?
Thank goodness we have six days to recover before our away match at Birmingham - next Friday.
We need to stay calm and recover after a week of extraordinary events.
But as usual — as all managers say — we must be more ruthless in front of goal.
Lots of chances — not taken.
And our defending still needs a lot more care.
But we survived.
This squad leaves nothing out on the pitch.
They gave everything and that’s all we want.
To give of your best — well you can’t do more.
And we’re top — nice way to celebrate for the rest of the weekend.
[Post edited 22 Oct 2022 18:22]
End of the pier show - match thread on 17:58 - Oct 22 with 2520 viewsderbyhoop

We made really hard work of that.
I'd say the reason was that neither Dozzell nor Amos were as effective as Johannsen and Iroegbunam.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

End of the pier show - match thread on 18:09 - Oct 22 with 2429 viewsToast_R

The second half was poor as said, the changes didn't help. Wigan were very one dimensional. I can't recall a game with so many headers. Hard watch that but three points thank you very much. On to the next.
End of the pier show - match thread on 18:23 - Oct 22 with 2324 viewstraininvain

Tim looks a future England international to me. A real box to box midfielder and I can see him being on par with Willock in terms of importance to the team within the next few months. He’s a real pleasure to watch.

I thought Laird was off the pace today. I like him but I think the comparisons with Kyle Walker and his loan spell with us are a bit fanciful.
End of the pier show - match thread on 18:24 - Oct 22 with 2319 viewsQPROslo

End of the pier show - match thread on 15:41 - Oct 22 by QPRSteve

Has JoJo touched the ball yet?

2 corner assists plus plus
Login to get fewer ads

End of the pier show - match thread on 18:32 - Oct 22 with 2248 viewsStanisgod

End of the pier show - match thread on 17:55 - Oct 22 by Wegerles_Stairs

That was very funny. Not sure how he managed it, but he did.....

Sorry but the blokes brainless. Looking straight across the the line from the touchline and STILL manages to be offside 🙈

It's being so happy that keeps me going.

End of the pier show - match thread on 18:35 - Oct 22 with 2233 viewsaston_hoop

Managed to watch most of it today, an uglier win than we have been used to but also I thought Wigan were decent. Broadhead especially upfront looked a real pick up.

Also, Wigan brought on a sub called Thelonious Aasgaard. If wr face a better name this season,, I will be shocked.

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

End of the pier show - match thread on 18:44 - Oct 22 with 2163 viewscheeseydane

Balogun is a class above.
Seriously good player.
Another year please Les.

Technology advances, unfortunately humans do not.

End of the pier show - match thread on 19:11 - Oct 22 with 2045 viewsWilkinswatercarrier

End of the pier show - match thread on 16:56 - Oct 22 by BrianMcCarthy

Field takes it.

Bonne is offside!!!

That has to be seen to be believed.

He even had the nerve to complain about the decision. He seems to be unable to look along the line, Christ, he was looking at the linesman yet was still a yard off.
Unforgivable for a professional footballer.
End of the pier show - match thread on 19:27 - Oct 22 with 1978 viewsLanhoop

I thought Stef just landed heavily on his hip, so I don't think he'll be unavailable. he seemed okay walking around at full time. MOTM is tough to pick, Field and Dykes deserve mention with both of them working so hard and Clarke-Salter close behind. Field just shades it for me for the finish for the goal. Defensively we worked very hard in the 2nd half and restricted their chances (almost all long, high balls in to the box) but 1st half we didn't have the solidity we've seen before this season. Good to get a win for a below par performance.
End of the pier show - match thread on 21:46 - Oct 22 with 1687 viewsdmm

I think it should be pointed out that, although our performance levels did drop in the second half, Seny didn't have a great deal to do and the defence successfully kept Wigan out. For all their endeavor, Wigan only mustered 2 shots on goal during the whole match.
[Post edited 22 Oct 2022 21:47]
End of the pier show - match thread on 22:51 - Oct 22 with 1565 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

End of the pier show - match thread on 19:11 - Oct 22 by Wilkinswatercarrier

He even had the nerve to complain about the decision. He seems to be unable to look along the line, Christ, he was looking at the linesman yet was still a yard off.
Unforgivable for a professional footballer.

Unforgivable is a bit harsh no?

Especially in light of the 50 succesful tackles he’s made this season.
[Post edited 22 Oct 2022 22:59]
End of the pier show - match thread on 23:08 - Oct 22 with 1507 viewsDamo1962

End of the pier show - match thread on 17:07 - Oct 22 by CLAREMAN1995

I thought we would destroy them but fair play to Wigan they stayed close and could have stolen a point at the end .
We just did not fire in the second half but injuries ,fatique and the emotional highs and lows this week took its toll.
But another 3 golden points and still top what a few days.
Plus we did get to see Mick Beal jumping up and down and that belly

Our second half displays at LR continue to learn perplex me somewhat 🤔 A team with serious ambitions needs to have a strong home record , and MB has made sure we are hard to take points off at LR. Much tougher games to come me at LR,...so no let up. Think Burnley will finish top eventually - but second is up for grabs in this crazy league.
End of the pier show - match thread on 23:17 - Oct 22 with 1493 viewsDamo1962

End of the pier show - match thread on 17:58 - Oct 22 by derbyhoop

We made really hard work of that.
I'd say the reason was that neither Dozzell nor Amos were as effective as Johannsen and Iroegbunam.

As much Dykes is giving it everything he has and proving me wrong, and Armstrong is promising,...we still need another experienced striker. Hopefully the board will back MB in January, as I'm sure he wants one.
End of the pier show - match thread on 13:56 - Oct 23 with 1276 viewsthemodfather

another win, wigan had a go but we held out , win pretty , win ugly but win. job done.
End of the pier show - match thread on 14:46 - Oct 23 with 1217 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

End of the pier show - match thread on 23:17 - Oct 22 by Damo1962

As much Dykes is giving it everything he has and proving me wrong, and Armstrong is promising,...we still need another experienced striker. Hopefully the board will back MB in January, as I'm sure he wants one.

Yesterday we fielded an XI where every single player has scored for the club.

This means we don’t need another striker in my opinion, and that we can have faith that enough goals will come from elsewhere.

Don’t fix what isn’t broken in my opinion.
End of the pier show - match thread on 14:59 - Oct 23 with 1188 viewsdmm

End of the pier show - match thread on 14:46 - Oct 23 by BazzaInTheLoft

Yesterday we fielded an XI where every single player has scored for the club.

This means we don’t need another striker in my opinion, and that we can have faith that enough goals will come from elsewhere.

Don’t fix what isn’t broken in my opinion.

Neither Clarke-Salter nor Iroegbunam have scored for us and Armstrong only in U23/21/B team games. That said, you make a fair point.
End of the pier show - match thread on 16:11 - Oct 23 with 1091 viewsBurnleyhoop

End of the pier show - match thread on 14:59 - Oct 23 by dmm

Neither Clarke-Salter nor Iroegbunam have scored for us and Armstrong only in U23/21/B team games. That said, you make a fair point.

The goal contribution from so many players has been a major factor in our ascent to the top and Dykes ongoing improvement has been most welcome. If Dykes does drop off again or gets injured, we don’t really have much in the way of back up. This, surely, has to be the best opportunity to achieve promotion we have had since relegation from the Premier league.

If Beale is given the opportunity to bring in another striker in January, he will bite Hoos hand off. It has to be the right player, at the right price and genuinely improves our attack.

For me, the jury is still out on Roberts, Armstrong is still a long way off and Bonne is well down the pecking order.

We are in a great position and need to cement our position. Willock is back next week and should give us the impetus needed in the run up to the World Cup.

Willock, Tim and Chair in the same line up. Bring it on.
End of the pier show - match thread on 16:40 - Oct 23 with 1023 viewsPinnerPaul

Balougan, JCS and Dykes my stand out players.

Dozzell and Amos the disappointments.

We weren't as good as v Cardiff - you can't play that well every week and Wigan were far better than them.

Think MB ,may regret not making one or two changes - he does usually, but as others have said job done.

Referee - unlike me, but I was most unimpressed. Yellows all fine, but how on earth is it OK to berate the AR, whilst carrying the ball, walk 20 yards, still with ball, berate the referee, before and after a talking to and STILL get no card - absolute joke that I thought.

Like Clive, I'm all for this new lenient style of refereeing, but that doesn't mean ignoring the obvious - Field taken out from behind 2nd half and Cousins handball 1st half 2 glaring examples.
End of the pier show - match thread on 16:41 - Oct 23 with 1019 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

End of the pier show - match thread on 14:59 - Oct 23 by dmm

I think I stole this stat from a previous game or dreamed it up entirely. However 9/11 is good going!
End of the pier show - match thread on 17:04 - Oct 23 with 994 viewsBrianMcCarthy

End of the pier show - match thread on 16:41 - Oct 23 by BazzaInTheLoft

I think I stole this stat from a previous game or dreamed it up entirely. However 9/11 is good going!

Someone tweeted a First XI that we could pick from players who have scored from us, with Dieng in goals and a sub on the bench!

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

End of the pier show - match thread on 17:29 - Oct 23 with 937 viewsDavieQPR

I'm just slightly, slightly worried that last season we started to win games with luck before the collapse started. Although I feel we are much stronger and more resilient this season.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024