Genk Harden Resolve To Keep Saints Target
Wednesday, 6th May 2020 11:27
Belgium side Genk have spoken to the media to tell them they have no intention of selling long term Saints target Joakim Maehle in the summer.
Saints have long been an admirer of Joakim Maehle and it was reported that previously they had been rebuffed in their attempts to sign the right back.
The player himself added fuel to the fire recently when he spoke of how he wanted to play in the Premier League and felt that he might end up at Southampton, but now Genk are hitting back at rumours and saying they are not going to sell.
Genk technical director Dimitri de Conde has spoken of how the club have no intention of selling Southampton target Joakim Maehle in the summer, having already lost two of their stars in January.
"Internally we have decided not to let any key players go during the summer market", De Conde told Belgian daily Het Belang van Limburg.
"We already had to let Sander Berge and Ally Samatta leave in January.
"It is our intention to keep this core together and strengthen it further with a view to next season."
Maehle's contract with Genk still has three years to run so from this perspective Genk hold all the cards and are have no rush to sell given that his transfer value will not drop much in the next 12 months and indeed with another good season may increase.
But given the players musings in the media about his desire to play at a higher level that the Jupiler League, it could also be Genk trying to alert the footballing World that Maehle could be sold for a price.
It would be in their interests to generate interest that in turn could lead to a bidding war, if Genk have to sell then they want to get top dollar.
This transfer could happen but Genk have put out a statement of intent that says if he goes then you pay through the nose.
Photo: Action Images
Please report offensive, libellous or inappropriate posts by using the links provided.
You need to login in order to post your comments
[ Vote here ]