Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Southampton Making Bid For Liverpool Defender
Wednesday, 6th Jul 2022 09:06

This isn't a new one but latest reports from Merseyside suggest that Saints are now in the front of the pack to sign defender Neco Williams from the Anfield club after Nottingham Forest failed to meet Liverpool's asking price.

Newly promoted Nottingham Forest had agreed personal terms with Welsh International Neco Williams, which suggests his wage demands won't be beyond the structure at St Mary's, however they fell short on what they could or were willing to pay for the full back.

Liverpool are said to have upped their price a little in the past week or so with increased interest in the player, Forest were in the driving seat with Fulham with whom Williams spent last season on loan in the Championship in close pursuit, Saints were hovering in the background and now it seems they are ready to make their move.

Liverpool are believed to be holding out for a total package of £20million including add-ons for Williams, with a departure or two expected out of St Mary's this would not daunt Saints although it would be close to a record fee for the club.

Perhaps pleasingly for the Southampton fanbase, if they complete this deal it will show intent from the club and although Saints won't be paying exorbitant fees anytime soon, it does show they are upping the anti a little now that several high wages have been removed from the payroll.

Neco Williams is primarily a full back able to play on both sides and although primarily right sided has been utilised on the left for Wales.

In many respects it could be said he is just as experienced at International level as with club, at Liverpool he has started just 6 Premier League games plus another 7 as sub, add to that his 14 Championship appearances at Fulham last season and his League experience amounts to just 27 outings.

For Wales he already has 21 caps, 13 of which have been in the starting line up and he is now a key part of their team.

He had actually started more games for Liverpool in the two domestic cups and the Champions League than he has in the Premier League, 5 starts in each competition and another 5 as sub.

If we add these in it shows a little more experience but not much given some of these games were in the early rounds or later on when Liverpool had already qualified in the Champions League group stages and rested players.

This rumour has picked up pace in the last 24 hours, but could just be a case of either Liverpool or the players agent trying to get Forest to up their bid if Saints are about to steal him.

From a Southampton perspective I find it strange that we are being continually linked with right backs when we are so well served in that area, yes Tino Livramento is out till the New Year, but Kyle Walker Peters is as good a player in that position, Yan Valery has in the past shown he has the talent, we are not short in that department.

Photo: Action Images



Please report offensive, libellous or inappropriate posts by using the links provided.



darthvader added 09:20 - Jul 6
We will end up a team of right backs
0

highfield49 added 10:12 - Jul 6
So much speculation from so many pseudo journalists in possession of a keyboard and the ability to copy and paste waffle posted by those with no knowledge. Quite rightly Nick you post a few of the less ridiculous bits and pieces, whilst adding your caveats concerning authenticity and reliability, because most of us like to speculate about player comings and goings. So I'll add my own unfounded bit of speculation that Liverpool might have expressed interest in the availability of KWP and have offered Williams in exchange. I think that makes more sense than paying £20m for a player who will upset the balance of the squad.
0

derbydog added 11:58 - Jul 6
Is anyone adding all this money up? More than £20 mill so far, with as much again going out today on 2 midfield players. So that’s around £40 mill. Add £20M for Nico if that is to be believed and we haven’t bought a goalscorer yet. I don’t believe we have that level of money, or a business plan to spend beyond our means, so that means sales. Bednarek, Redmond, Djeneppo are not going to raise enough to get to £60-£80 million so does that mean we are planning to pay for a major revamp by cashing in on JWP? It would fit the business plan to sell at the top of the market….
1

IWOZTHERE added 12:07 - Jul 6
We obviously have financial limits, but it's good that recent financial neglect in the team appears to be being addressed by way of upping the quality of our targets. Williams is a strange one though? Highfield's speculation is valid and I was thinking along those lines myself in that we might be looking to sell one of our wing backs at a profit when Tino returns?
As it stands we've not finalised anything yet? but it's looking promising.
0

IanRC added 17:27 - Jul 6
Please no at that price
0

PeterL22 added 17:45 - Jul 7
Yes Mr Vader, but Ralph will play them all on the LEFT!!
Seriously, he’s great going forward but not so good defensively (a bit like Livramento).
We should have got another full back before another centre back (Yan Valery wasn’t going to make it at right back but has looked good in back three)!
By the way can I just repeat - WE NEED A PROPER STRIKER to stay up!
0


You need to login in order to post your comments

Blogs 31 bloggers

The U'sual Ramblings #3 by wessex_exile
When Saturday Comes #36 by wessex_exile

Southampton Polls

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2022